Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110019 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
won't believe it till i see it

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
won't believe it till i own the CD

FTFY & And if you're a tool obsessive - you still won't believe it. :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:02 AM »
It would be hilarious if that picture was taken during the recording of 10,000 Days.

You know, looking at the pic, that could definitely be a possibility.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: October 28, 2014, 05:40:59 AM »
This is obviously the SECOND decoy album !!!

The real Lateralus follow up will come in 2021 !!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »
Is that Justin operating the desk  ? Did he have short hair during 10,000 Days ?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
No he cut it a couple years ago if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
Relax people, no news.

I'm listening to Aenima for the first time in years and years. This album is nowhere near as good as I remember. Stinkfist, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye are great, and I'll give 46 & 2 a pass. The rest is somewhere between average and crap.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »
Relax people, no news.

I'm listening to Aenima for the first time in years and years. This album is nowhere near as good as I remember. Stinkfist, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye are great, and I'll give 46 & 2 a pass. The rest is somewhere between average and crap.
Eulogy would like a word with you.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Relax people, no news.

Eulogy would like a word with you.

As well as H.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #254 on: February 11, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »
Actually, Eulogy was the biggest surprise to me. It starts really strong, but gets lost and falls to bits after "don't you fucking lie", like they didn't know how to finish it well.

H is pretty ho-hum.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:42 PM »
I listened to it a few weeks ago and it was still as brilliant as when my ears first heard it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »
Euology is pretty boring. Easily my least favorite of the actual songs on Aenima. It's still my favorite Tool album though. Almost every song is great and it has Tool's best material by far I think. Only flaw are all the interlude things. They don't really add anything to the album for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
I listened to it a few weeks ago and it was still as brilliant as when my ears first heard it.

this
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
I think Aenima may have surpassed Lateralus as my favorite Tool album. I don't listen to the band much these days, but when I feel like I'm in the mood for them, I usually listen to Aenima. It's probably the darker atmosphere that makes me enjoy it a bit more.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2015, 01:37:05 AM »
Euology is pretty boring. Easily my least favorite of the actual songs on Aenima. It's still my favorite Tool album though. Almost every song is great and it has Tool's best material by far I think. Only flaw are all the interlude things. They don't really add anything to the album for me.

I made a playlist with just the 9 "songs" and the album flows way better way better without all that bullshit.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2015, 04:04:20 AM »
Lateralus > Aenima > 10 000 Days > Undertow

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »
Lateralus > Aenima > 10 000 Days > Undertow>A great deal of other music in the universe.

FTFM
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »
Lateralus > Aenima > 10 000 Days > Undertow

This exactly.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

I made a playlist with just the 9 "songs" and the album flows way better way better without all that bullshit.

same (except i threw in the NQ cover because it's amazing and was recorded then – funny how it adds up to the exact length of all the segues put together...). then again, the final tracklist certainly leaves an impression, and some charm is lost.

also, if you want "H." without "Useful Idiot" fading in, it's on the radio ready promo sampler (with the censored "Eulogy" and other songs).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
Euology is pretty boring. Easily my least favorite of the actual songs on Aenima.

It's my favourite.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »
Euology is pretty boring. Easily my least favorite of the actual songs on Aenima.

It's my favourite.

One of their best songs in my opinion.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
Yep.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2015, 07:29:06 PM »
Absolutely LOVE eulogy and always have.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »
Aw shit. We'll see. I refuse to get excited at this point.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2015, 08:02:14 AM »
Aw shit. We'll see. I refuse to get excited at this point.

Same, I feel like every few months or so you hear that they are working on something or other./

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »
I probably wouldn't believe a new Tool album was possible even if I held it in my own hands. Not even if I listened to it. I would still go: "This must be a really good copy-cat band" rather than "Oh crap, this actually is a new Tool album".

I predicted a long time ago that a new Tool album would be like a new My Bloody Valentine album. One of those myths that was talked about for 15-20 years, with comments like "yes its coming" and no action. The MBV album actually dropped after 22 years, so who knows.. maybe Tool will surpass that.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
This album has basically become The Chinese Democracy Pt 2. I totally wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything for years still.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
I also think the fact that they blame the slow process on the law suits is ridiculous. There are a lot of bands who have fought many problems and still put out albums. If you want to put out an album, you put out an album. It feels like the members of Tool are just way too comfortable with their legacy and current status. There are some artists like Steven Wilson, who puts out music frequently, not just through his main projects (PT, solo) but also a number of side projects (Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, IEM, Storm Corrosion), and even though quality of music is always subjective, you can just tell that he has a lot of great ideas, and he puts them into motion. He never struggles with material, and an amazing album like Fear of a Blank Planet resulted in an equally amazing EP like Nil Recurring, with leftover material from that album.

Tool to me are kinda like the polar opposite. I've always felt like Tool are just barely scraping by to get enough good material together, and I think it really showed on 10 000 Days. That album was a mixed bag of the amazing quality we expect from Tool, with some material that just wasn't up to the standard we want. I think they did a good job of masking it earlier. Albums like Aenima and Lateralus are pretty much perfect, and as long as we get near flawless albums after 5 year breaks, it's easy to ignore that. On 10k Days it kinda showed that they were struggling more IMO, and apart from the long time spans between albums, the band hasn't really put out EPs or other leftover material. To me it basically feels like Tool have to work so much harder than most bands to come up with good material. What they squeeze out in 6 years is equal to what SW squeezes out in 6 months. But as long as their next album is really good, it won't matter.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
I'm going to a gig this friday of the tribute band 'The Perfect Tool'. Anyone familiar with them?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
No band dealt with more legal stuff in recent years than Queensryche, and both versions of Queensryche had managed to release albums during the lawsuits.  The decade-long gap between Tool albums is just odd to me.  Five years should be more than enough!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »
Apparently the lawsuits had dated back to 2007 and they'd only been solved This January.

And they hindered the band so much they only got 3 songs written in 8 years ?

Yeah whatever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »
I think it could have more to do with a quote I read from Danny or Justin about writing with Adam.

He said Adam likes to explore every single possible arrangement an idea could possibly have.

They said this method of working was painfully slow and frustrating and nobody likes writing with Adam.

:laugh: I can't prove this though and *of course* he could have been half joking. but I did read it a few years ago.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »
https://instagram.com/p/zlgNazKKCr/

https://www.toolband.com/news/

TOOL NEWSLETTER  FEBRUARY 2015 E.V.
This month we learned that the members of Tool crossed paths with the members of Motorhead in a recording studio in L.A., and that Danny (along with Brent Hinds) is part of a new band called "Legend of the Seagullmen." With splash headlines like "Members Of Tool And Mastodon Join Forces To Create "Supergroup"... and "Motorhead's Mikkey Dee Confirms Tool Are In The Studio" appearing on many of the on-line metal magazine sites, it's perhaps understandable as to why many anxious fans jumped to certain conclusions. In the event that I failed to clear things up in a recent news post, for those who might still be excited or confused (or angry), let me try again to set things straight (without the multiple choices)...

As for the nautical-themed "Seagullmen", this Danny SIDE project has been in the works for quite some time (well over a year), and takes approximately ZERO time and energy from his focus on the next Tool record. With regards to the chance meeting between members of Tool and their friends in Motorhead in the same recording facility - this had absolutely nothing to do with the preparation, recording, mixing or mastering! of a new Tool album. Instead, it concerned another Tool project that has been in the works for a while. In fact, when I first heard about this project (way back when), I mentioned it in a news post as being a "curve ball" - meaning that it would be something unexpected by most Tool fans (as it was to me). Since then, some fans have guessed what this is, while others remain clueless, with many others believing that there really never was any such idiom to begin with. Well, with the chance meeting of Tool and Motorhead in the studio, along with Adam's reply to Mikkey Dee's question as to what Tool was doing there, we now have confirmation of this (figuratively speaking) "curve ball." (In keeping with the baseball vernacular, as I suggested before, "Change of Pace" might also work).

Which takes us to the big question: What's going on with the new Tool record? As I have said repeatedly, the band is currently in the writing/arranging process. Based on things that I've heard, I would hazard a guess that SEVERAL songs are now developed enough to have vocals added. At least one of these songs is quite lengthy, and took a very long time to finish. In theory, the others should go faster, but who knows what obstacles might await? Obviously there is still a lot of work to be done. Accordingly, you will be updated on any major progress and NOT hear about the band tracking the next record by some chance meeting in a recording studio.

Now that these other things have (hopefully) been put to rest, let's see about any current news. The first item would be that the members of the band will be taking a break from their writing/arranging sessions next week WHILE Aaron Harris ("ISIS", PALMS") sets up an area in the Loft for Maynard to be able to work on vocal melodies as the others play (loudly) their completed tunes. In that there is a lot of equipment to be moved and reorganized, it will take at least a few days to set up Maynard's 'station' in the adjoining room. Admittedly, this is exciting news, but let's not jump to any hasty conclusions...

Finally, before leaving the "City of Angeles" for a few days, Danny will be getting together (again) with Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland and others TONIGHT - so be on the lookout for another youtube clip of these friends jamming and having a downright good time! Hopefully, Danny saved some energy after last night's Kings/Redwings hockey game, not to mention the recent Lakers/Celtics match up at Staples...

Oh, I almost forgot. For those non-Thelemites out there who asked why the recent limited edition TOOL BLANKET (SOLD OUT) was priced at $156.00, the answer is that 156 = BABALON, the Sacred Whore and companion of the Great Beast 666 (To Mega Therion). So, there you go...
HAPPY TRAILS