Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110027 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Tool News v. Still No Album.
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
I never thought it was about the spectacle in as much as the big picture. They certainly try to deemphasize the performers somewhat in relation to the music, and an active stage show does that. Still, 3 of them are usually lit up and fun to watch. As for Maynard, Tool is about more than just him. He'd rather be in the background for his own reasons, and for the sake of the band who are wrongly unappreciated in comparison. Consider that 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience are drunken assholes who only know Maynard and just went to here AEnima and Forty-six and 2. That's been his explanation for why he leaves the stage and doesn't participate in the whole group bow thing. The band deserves the appreciation more than him, and I agree with him.

That said, Maynard has good nights and nights that he just takes a piss. I've seen him do a variety of neat and/or peculiar things. When he was Officer Maynard he walked to the front of the stage and issued a parking ticket to the guest drummer's kit. I've also seen Reverand Maynard and Mrs. Maynard perform (Texas usually gets Cowboy Maynard). My issue isn't with his stage presence but his varying interest in singing the parts. Some nights he really belts it out and others he's just phoning it in.

edit: JD, he's never behind the drum kit. There's a double sized riser with DC on one half and Maynard on the other. While DC and the other lads have some lighting on them, Maynard remains in shadow of the large screens behind him. You'll often see him pretty well and other times he's just a silhouette.

This pretty much gives you the whole picture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7MIdAXy9Bc&feature=player_detailpage#t=436 It's pretty much what they do now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
10, 000 Days tour had their best production. The entire stage was one big video screen, it made for some amazing moments for us in the seats. Also, during the intermission, after 10, 000 days, Adam and Justin just stayed onstage and sat at the end of thr stage towards the audience. The entire venue then lit up with lighters, it looked like a candlelight vigil. Was really amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2014, 06:13:21 AM »
10, 000 Days tour had their best production. The entire stage was one big video screen, it made for some amazing moments for us in the seats. Also, during the intermission, after 10, 000 days, Adam and Justin just stayed onstage and sat at the end of thr stage towards the audience. The entire venue then lit up with lighters, it looked like a candlelight vigil. Was really amazing.

They did that for me too -  I was at Wembley Arena late 2006. With Mastodon supporting..

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Mastooldon.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline NotePad

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2014, 02:35:09 AM »
They have some new shows planned, I believe. It's crazy how long it takes between new albums. It's getting ridiculous. But like i said earlier, there was an update a while ago describing songwriting taking place with the band. So this is Tool we're talking about, meaning we could wake up tomorrow and find out the release date of their next album. I hope a new Tool album is the real reason Perfect Circle is refraining from doing a new full-length album.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
They have some new shows planned, I believe.

I seriously hope by "new shows planned" that means they're planning some East Coast shows. If it is, then I hope one of them is a NYC date.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2014, 01:41:40 AM »
OK, that was easily one of the sickest, most mindblowing fucking shows I have ever seen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2014, 04:46:20 AM »
You know it's not my thang, but  :tup none-the-less
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2014, 06:27:21 AM »
Do they have an opener for this tour?
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »
I'm calling it right now....

The release date for the new Tool album will be September 20th 2033.

10,000 days from the release of their last album.     NUGGETZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline NotePad

« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:44 AM »
This is crazy how long it takes between albums. I remember the reasons for the time between Aenima and Lateralus, which was label issues which is understandable. But these days, come on! I do realize that THEY probably realize the legacy Tool has, and it's a big one, so i can kinda see why they don't do a new one every 2 years, This was it makes a new Tool album a big event, just like a new Metallica, and in the circles I'v gravitated around, a new Linkin Park album (although their last one didn't make a very big splash. Then again i don't listen to radio anymore or talk to many into that stuff).

I'm sure we will get a new album within the next 2 years...but obviously 2 years is still waaay too long. I'm hoping within the next year it will be announced that they've finished a new album. If that does not happen, then it will destroy my already deteriorating opinion of the band. And i actually realize it's not Maynards fault, as i read where he himself said that they take too long to make new albums so he has to do other stuff like Puscifer, APC etc. It was in that big spread on Tool in that magazine a few years ago. Maynard said he get's frustrated by how much time it takes the other guys to complete the songs.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:58 AM »
I think the legacy thing is a double-edged sword when you factor in how many fans get frustrated/pissed by their perpetual leadings on. Also, while some fans may judge an album with greater scrutiny due to the long time it took to come out, most Tool fans are so rabid for new material that they'll likely be so glad for its release that bad parts of it will be forgiven, average parts will be considered good, and anything good-or-better will be considered excellent. Kinda makes you wonder if Tool somewhat doubts themselves (especially after 10KD's failure to garner the same acclaim Lateralus did) and figures they can milk a better reception for the new album by dragging their heels.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2014, 01:38:01 AM »
I think the legacy thing is a double-edged sword when you factor in how many fans get frustrated/pissed by their perpetual leadings on. Also, while some fans may judge an album with greater scrutiny due to the long time it took to come out, most Tool fans are so rabid for new material that they'll likely be so glad for its release that bad parts of it will be forgiven, average parts will be considered good, and anything good-or-better will be considered excellent. Kinda makes you wonder if Tool somewhat doubts themselves (especially after 10KD's failure to garner the same acclaim Lateralus did) and figures they can milk a better reception for the new album by dragging their heels.
Rubbish. For one thing, you're already dismissing the possibility that maybe there's excellent material on the new album anyway. Next, name any band that's ever made every album better than the one that preceded it. You make albums and hope that people like them. Sometimes you make a masterpiece and sometimes you don't. The trick is to still make one occasionally. And as for 10k, I think pretty much everybody liked it a lot. It wasn't Lateralus, but expecting every album to live up to that is silly, and I suspect the guys in the band are wise enough to realize that. In fact, I suspect the guys are smart enough to realize that no matter what they do plenty of people will like it and plenty will bitch about it for whatever reason; just like any other successful band. Best to just do what makes you happy, I think.

As for me, I just enjoy seeing them live. One of the best shows I've seen from them tonight. Good setlist, band sounded great and Maynard showed up. All around great gig.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »
What I like about Tool is their albums also are all one tied concept.

Undertow is about being in the rock bottom of your life, due to drugs etc...
Aenima  is after you crawled up from the bottom onto the surface viewing things in life differently, beginning the cleansing process to reach euphoria.
Lateralus, the process of releasing your ego and freeing your spiritual mind becoming one with all.
10, 000 Days is viewing the world again only the perception is completely different, like looking with fresh eyes and a clean mind at the world.

Its all just speculation, but I found that cool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
What I like about Tool is their albums also are all one tied concept.

Undertow is about being in the rock bottom of your life, due to drugs etc...
Aenima  is after you crawled up from the bottom onto the surface viewing things in life differently, beginning the cleansing process to reach euphoria.
Lateralus, the process of releasing your ego and freeing your spiritual mind becoming one with all.
10, 000 Days is viewing the world again only the perception is completely different, like looking with fresh eyes and a clean mind at the world.

Its all just speculation, but I found that cool.

That does sound like something someone on the Tool Navy forum would post and there would be 50 pages discussing it :lol

Tenuous coincidence at best.

Lateralus can also be seen as a break-up or bad relationships album.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »
I don't think Iv ever heard a Tool fan say 10K was bad. I know some have been disappointed by it though, because considering how long it took there are not enough songs and some boring filler. I don't think they will ever top Lateralus. I really like 10K Days, but there's just not enough material on it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 25, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Yeah considering there are 11 tracks - there's only about 7 individual songs

1. Vicarious
2. Jambi
3. Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
4. The Pot
5. Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
6. Intension
7. Right In Two.

And don't get me started on the whole Wings / Viginti Tres supposed mash-up.

I've heard a few iterations of it and it just doesn't work at all.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2014, 12:04:29 AM »
The song 10 000 Days i must admit is one of their best compositions so far. I only really listen to it every once in a while, because of the mood of it. Maynard was also doing some odd things with his voice on this album...

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
Some days I almost feel 10 000 Days is my favourite. I don't know there's lots I love on it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2014, 06:09:21 AM »
The song 10 000 Days i must admit is one of their best compositions so far. I only really listen to it every once in a while, because of the mood of it. Maynard was also doing some odd things with his voice on this album...

I like the Rosetta Stoned vocals. It was Maynard singing into a pipe with a guitar pickup inside.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
They did a lot of cool sound techniques. Like the Bass feedback in Lost Keys.

The mandala pad, I think was used in Right In Two, or Intension.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
When the FUCK are they going to say something about a new album? WHERE THE FUCK IS IT???? I have begun to resent this band. Lazy fucks

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2014, 02:56:41 AM »
A new album would be sweet but I try to not think about it. There's a lot of other music I keep myself busy with. If a new Tool album never happens, I will be fine, if it does eventually come out, that will be cool as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2014, 03:56:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a new album.  Don't think it will ever happen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
I don't mind if they take their time. Its their choice, and no point getting mad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
Difficult buggers that they are - I wouldn't be surprised if they were stringing everyone along this entire time.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:12 AM »
But what bothers me is how they claimed the reason for the time between their other albums was legal problems with the label etc etc. Which was why Maynard did APC. And Jones and Carey even admitted to being somewhat worried about that.

I wonder if they'll have an excuse this time...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »
Both Metallica & Tool promised new albums a lot quicker this time around.

And in both cases it's taken a lot longer. :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »
I think they just aren't hungry for it. The are all older and successful, maybe the drive just isn't there to make another full album.

Offline adastra

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2014, 03:18:25 AM »
I never had heard any music from Tool before last summer. I just "knew" that it was something progressive with some "psychedelic" influences.

So I decided to get 10000 days and it I was totally blown away by it :D !    It took me many many many listens to finally "get" the music but since then it has been one of my favourite bands.
I listened to 10000 days for 6 months before getting another album.. which was Lateralus.  Lateralus took even more listens to really get into.. But what a great album!

So , It has been almost a year now when I first time heard tool and I have only listened to those two albums... I'm gonna buy Aenima next and hope that it will same kind of impact on me as 10000 days and lateralus!

I'm really waiting for the new album.. I hope it comes this year! :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2014, 05:13:36 AM »
I never had heard any music from Tool before last summer. I just "knew" that it was something progressive with some "psychedelic" influences.

So I decided to get 10000 days and it I was totally blown away by it :D !    It took me many many many listens to finally "get" the music but since then it has been one of my favourite bands.
I listened to 10000 days for 6 months before getting another album.. which was Lateralus.  Lateralus took even more listens to really get into.. But what a great album!

So , It has been almost a year now when I first time heard tool and I have only listened to those two albums... I'm gonna buy Aenima next and hope that it will same kind of impact on me as 10000 days and lateralus!

I'm really waiting for the new album.. I hope it comes this year! :P

Get Aenima NOW!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2014, 05:24:12 AM »

Get Aenima NOW!!!

Agreed, its a must have.

Offline adastra

« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
I'M GONNA BUY IT NEXT WEEK! O_O 
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2014, 05:51:36 AM »
I'M GONNA BUY IT NEXT WEEK! O_O

That's too far away.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2014, 02:08:47 AM »
In my eyes 'Lateralus' is their masterpiece. It embodies everything that Tool is. All their other albums are great, but Lateralus is all of them combined. Hitting the songs Lateralus and then Reflection are such amazing experiences, because the whole album is like some kind of spiritual journey and by the end it feels so complete. It was apparently a coincidence that the lyrical meanings went so well with the concepts Adam Jones and co. were incorporating into the music. This i read in some interview.