Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110223 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: Tool News - November 12th 2009 !??!
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
The most recent update regarding Tool says they're in deep writing a new album. Don't know if they're in the studio recording yet. Probably not. I'v heard they spend a lot, and i mean a LOT, of time writing before recording anything. I wonder how long they've been writing this one. It's been a long time since 10 000 days. The long period between Aenima and Lateralus was said to be legal problems and label issues etc. I wonder what's been taking so long for this one. Tool's long tiring writing process is the reason Maynard has so many side-projects. He says he needs an out for his creativity. If Jones and Carey were jealous of APC, then why do they take so goddamn long to make music???

I hope the next one continues in the direction of Lateralus. 10 000 Days was great but didn't have the flow of Lateralus. It took elements from Lateralus and Aenima, and a bit of Undertown, and combined them. It doesn't feel like they were moving forward with the last one.

Lateralus is one of the best metal/progressive albums of all time. Fact. The spiritual and metaphysical themes Adam Jones is interested in and explores in his art and even music, the themes Alex Grey's art explores, and the lyrics by Maynard Keenan cam together in such a great way. I wonder if Maynard and the guys discussed what ideas and themes should infuse his lyrics beforehand.

Listening the Lateralus from start to finish is a trip. I feel that overall the album is about spiritual enlightenment. I don't really expect the band to top that album, but I hope they can provide an experience that effects me that much again. 10 000 Days was too start/stop. I love Rosetta Stoned, but the lyrics bring the song down. Could'v been much better if Maynard didn't turn it into a joke. But musically- fuckin amazing. Right In Two was the best off 10 000 days. And listening to Intension is always a satisfying experience. I get the feeling Maynard and the band weren't exactly on the same wavelength this time. I also remember reading a rumor claiming Adam Jones was unhappy with Maynard on this album. And Maynard's schedule with winemaking and all that shit prevented him from being in the studio with Jones while recording. I see Jones as the leader of Tool.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
At this point, I'm really not expecting Tool to ever release another album.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
I think 10,000 Days is pretty damn good! I never get tired of the intro to Vicarious.. when that riff hits.. oh God!

The extremely heavy sound is the best part about 10,000 Days I think. I read a production journal about the recording and mixing of 10,000  Days, in which the producer/engineer described the record as 'Undertow on steroids'. I think the record fits that description.

Adding to the cool heavy tracks, the title track hits me every time.

Absolute must for this record: Turn it up LOUD, especially the title track. Otherwise that one sounds way too subtle, especially part one.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
At this point, I'm really not expecting Tool to ever release another album.

I'm not sure why they'd bullshit everyone if they didn't have the intention (NUG).

I'd love one, but I'm not stressing it's release. If it releases sometime in my lifetime, fuckin awesome; if not, then no loss. I've actually been listening to them more and more recently (as is usually the case during this season). Love me some Disposition and Reflection.  :heart :millahhhh

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
I feel kinda bad for Maynard, since the other guys don't seem to be nearly as interested as he is, in making music.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
Really? I've gotten the impression that Maynard wasn't interested that much in Tool anymore.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
Well, he recently spoke out in an interview about it, and it comes off as him basically sitting around and waiting for the rest of them to finish the music.

Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan has spoken out on the current state of the new Tool record, confirming that it is being written but the process is very long winded and "tedious".

Currently focusing on new releases from his other bands A Perfect Circle and Puscifer, the singer-turned-winemaker has spoken out about about the follow up to the release of 10,000 Days. Released way back in 2006, the succeeding release has long been speculated about and has been pencilled in loosely for a 2014 release.

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Keenan confirmed that the process was underway, but hardly seemed positive about the process saying that he doesn't have much of a hand in the writing as the band need to bring him the tracks. This is a process that he claims they agonise over continuously, making the actual writing process a very arduous one.

"I don't write the music. They write the music," he said of how things are panning out. "I wait for them to bring music to me. They tend to go back over and over stuff. It's a long process. For a person like me, it can be a very tedious process. In some ways, they are bigger perfectionists. But you can only help support their talent so long. They don't have to go through it 700 times. They can trust that first thought. But that's their process, so you gotta let them do it." And is that process happening? "I couldn't tell you,"
    Moving onto where the sound of the band may be going he added: "Just in general, each project is going to find its own way. Depending on the motivation. We're all in this together. I'm not pointing any fingers. I will take full responsibility if I have to."

Talking of why the band haven't toured in six years he said that they didn't want to move to the stage until they had new material in order to avoid becoming, musically stagnant.

"As an artist you don't want to become a greatest hits version of yourself, either," he said. "You want to push the boundaries. You want to figure out how can you challenge yourself to discover something new, discover something different about yourself. What are your limitations? What avenues can you push and expand? That is life. I don't have any interest in coasting yet." [/i]

(copy-paste so the format might look odd)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Hmm, that's interesting. I was thinking that he had gotten bored of Tool, and that's why he had started side projects, but this makes it seem more like he's doing the side projects because the rest of Tool aren't really moving.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:25 AM »
Yea when i wrote my post that was the article i was referencing. They are apparently working on music, google it. But with Tool, it's a long process. Obviously Maynard is different.  I wouldn't expect him to only make music with Tool. I'm just fascinated how the other guys have such a long process.

Any yea, 10000 days is kinda like undertow on steroids. I'd say it's Lateralus injected into a undertow/aenima mixture. You wouldnt hear The Pot or even Jambi on Lateralus. I'm just hoping for more of a Lateralus evolved type thing with their next work.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
I'm wondering, what are people expecting from the next Tool album?

I think 10k day was great, but even the band knows that they didn't really exceed anyone's expectations with it. I think things will be different on the next one.....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
I'm not expecting anything.

10k days had an Undertow sound to it, with Lateralus' musicality. I enjoyed it and still do, Intension is the best thing they've ever done.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
It's been so long that I no longer expect anything from them other than a new album coming out....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »
I'm not even expecting anything this year...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
I'm not even expecting anything for the next couple years...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline NotePad

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:28 PM »
They are actually working on music. Look for the most recent update, where it's said they were finishing up an 'epic', and was almost ready to send to Maynard. That's cool. But what i hate hearing is that Maynard is so far removed from the band in the writing process. Apparently on 10k days he wasn't even able to record in the studio with Adam. Maybe that's part of why the lyrics were so-so. I'v always thought the themes explored in the lyrics of the Lateralus songs had Adam's name written all over them. Even though Maynard wrote them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2014, 07:38:21 PM »
They've been working on music forever, though. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
i would not be surprised if they released it in 2016 so it would be 10 years since 10,000 days.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »
Maybe they're going to release it 10,000 days after 10,000 Days.

:omg:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
Haha that would make it 27 years after 2006.

2033 !

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
:metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Edited for maths fail.

Aside from not releasing albums any sooner than 5 years at a time - they're all pushing 50 and Danny has been there for some time.

If they leave it much longer - they're not going to be able to perform the songs.

It will be easy for Adam - he just has to stand still and play Dm Pentatonic for 90 minutes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
:lol  Danny's really the only one I'd worry about, I don't think any of the rest of them have anything extremely difficult.

Well, some of Maynard's parts might be...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
Unless MJK's martial arts regimen is impeccable, he'll likely be a shell of himself in 5 years. He's had lots of parts that would be difficult even for a 35 year old (Eulogy 7:58 "Good..BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYE!!!", that long-ass roar in The Grudge) so, barring anything extraordinary, next tour (assuming one even happens) will probably be everyone's final chance to see them without any noticeable weaknesses.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
Oh yeah, the part in The Grudge is amazing. Does he actually do that live? I remember searching for some videos on YouTube a while back, but I think I got distracted by something else. :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
If so, definitely not at every show if a friend of mine who's a huge Tool fan knew what she was talking about when she raved about "this one time when Maynard actually did the whole scream live." Even then, since they use a shitload of electronics in their live shows with all the ambient synth intros they do, that scream may have just been audio trickery anyway (real time looping or well-executed seamless tape playback injected in the midst of an otherwise live vocal peformance.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »
Well, if the gods are with me and I score tickets, I'll let you all know how they sound March 12th.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
If you mean the day after since their site says it's March 11. Just wanna make sure you don't accidentally request the wrong day.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »
Yes, I was referring to the day after.  ;)

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
So Tool is coming to Spokane, Portland, and Eugene, but not Seattle? WTF. Seattle is almost as big as those three cities put together. Might head down to Oregon and see them with cousins in Eugene though.

I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
I can't seem to find on the website whether they're doing any other shows or just those...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
It looks like 5 west coast shows and one in Mexico. Tickets for SF go on sale at 10pst. (ROAD TRIP!!!!)

Edit: Them bitches went FAST. No dice. gonna have to look into scalper tix now :(

Edit #2: Paid an extra $50, but I'm finally gonna see Tool!!! :metal
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:24:38 PM by lonestar »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
I saw TOOL & Mastodon in 2006 at Wembley Arena. Really echoey sound but what a show !

Could barely hear Mastodon due to an almost empty arena when they were on.

But saw them at their own show at London HMV Forum in 2007 and they were amazing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
It looks like 5 west coast shows and one in Mexico. Tickets for SF go on sale at 10pst. (ROAD TRIP!!!!)

Edit: Them bitches went FAST. No dice. gonna have to look into scalper tix now :(

Edit #2: Paid an extra $50, but I'm finally gonna see Tool!!! :metal

:metal :2metal: :letam:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
Lateralus is the best them.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2014, 02:46:40 AM »
Mastadon and Tool, that's a pretty cool pair.

Tool's shows are fuckin great. Can't believe they haven't released a DVD yet. Adam Jones is such a perfectionist it's crazy. Look how long it took for their last music video to come out.

I remember hearing that a lot of shows from their recent tours from 10kD were recorded. But nothing ever happened. I know they'v said they don't want to do just a live performance on video, like everyone else. I for one would love that. But if they can come up with something amazing, then I'm in.