Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 111864 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #980 on: November 15, 2019, 05:30:52 AM »
I didn't think it would happen because of the long wait and the insane hype but I'm actually really happy I'm loving it so much. For me there can definitely be a discussion about it even being Tool's best album, and I'm not gonna say 100% it is, because of how good some of their other albums are, but to me the fact the album is in that discussion is proof enough that this was worth the wait.

If this is the last Tool album I think they're ending it on a high note. If we get more, that's cool too ofc!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #981 on: November 15, 2019, 06:15:22 AM »
My reaction is similar to all of yours, I wasn't expecting it to be anything really because I was really just a casual Tool fan but this album is really amazing and I can't stop listening to it. Hoping to catch them live sometime in the tour.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #982 on: November 15, 2019, 07:57:32 AM »
I wish I could share the enthusiasm with all of you. I've heard the album multiple times shortly after it had been released and I haven't really been compelled to listen to it again since then. Never thought it was bad by any stretch, but found it to be a bit dragged out and patience-testing.

I'll try to find some time to give it another listen soon, see of my thoughts have changed on it at all, but I'm not anticipating this to be the case.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #983 on: November 15, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »
What I appreciate most about the new album is that I can listen to it anytime. With all the other albums, I always needed to be in kind of a frustrated/pissed off kind of mood to want to listen to Tool.

The new album relaxes me and even helps me think. I can listen to it almost anytime.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #984 on: November 15, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
I wish I could share the enthusiasm with all of you. I've heard the album multiple times shortly after it had been released and I haven't really been compelled to listen to it again since then.

Same for me. I found the whole album rather uninspired, lacking their usual mastery of form, and nowhere near Lateralus and Aenima. Plus they sound damn old on it, especially Danny and Maynard. The album would have been way better if it had been released in 2009.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: November 15, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
I wish I could share the enthusiasm with all of you. I've heard the album multiple times shortly after it had been released and I haven't really been compelled to listen to it again since then.

Same for me. I found the whole album rather uninspired, lacking their usual mastery of form, and nowhere near Lateralus and Aenima. Plus they sound damn old on it, especially Danny and Maynard. The album would have been way better if it had been released in 2009.

wut?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: November 15, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »
I haven't listened to this yet and to be honest not really in a rush to.  I'll get around to it.  I might wait another 13 years to listen until the next one so I'll get 2 full albums at once.  :metal

I'm on my first listen in the car and just finished Descending.  I actually fucking love it so far.  Some of the tribal like rhythms are just insane and the production is amazing.  I never really expected much heaviness but I'm satisfied so far.

It's really quite good, in my opinion. I went in with absolutely no expectations and wasn't too big on it at first but after only a few listens I liked most of the songs.

Hopefully this new expanded edition finds its way into our local record store.

Same.  Even though I paid a fortune for it, I didn't really have any expectations at all.  Finishing my listen in the car this morning while driving around for work was cool.  Culling Voices is very very good and 7empest I'm happy is more of a full Vicarious type song.  I loved the buildups of the others but happy at least one song was kind of heavier Tool from start to finish.  The production is some of the best I've heard in a long long time.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #987 on: November 15, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »
You would think the ticketing system at the University of Texas would be top-notch after all the money they make but no...It was a shit show. I managed to score a ticket in a very decent place after trying a lot of times. It was just one so it made things a bit easier. Since I missed them in San Antonio due to work, I'm not missing them this time around. Stoked!  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: November 15, 2019, 06:09:35 PM »
I'm seeing them in a little over two weeks. I can't wait!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #989 on: November 15, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »
I tried getting tickets to the Atlanta show, site went down for maintenace after 20 mins and logged back in and saw all tickets were gone.

Hoping something decent shows up later.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #990 on: November 15, 2019, 06:58:53 PM »

wut?
Yeah, wut?!? Danny is a freaking beast on this album! He can run circles around almost any drummer out there in pure creativity. And Maynard is Maynard. He sounds great!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #991 on: November 15, 2019, 07:05:14 PM »
Yeah, if you're gonna say someone phoned in their performances on the album, at least go with Adam Jones.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: November 15, 2019, 11:51:02 PM »
Yeah, if you're gonna say someone phoned in their performances on the album, at least go with Adam Jones.

Danny is the star here obviously, one of the greatest drum performances I've heard in a long while, however I like Adam here a lot.  A bit more experimenting and soloing which works well and his guitar tones and rhythms are nice and tight.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #993 on: November 16, 2019, 02:45:06 AM »
I didn't want to start a controversy. To explain myself a little better, Danny has never been the most even drummer, but the tempos are all over the place on this record. He's very unsteady, changing the tempo almost every mesure in certain passages (especially the climax of the songs). This has nothing to do with the writing (I agree he's the most interesting player on the album), but with the performance. It's disheartening how he drags and kills the mometum at some points. I think he would have played the same parts way better 10 or 15 years ago. He's 58 years old after all.

About Maynard... I understand that he can't scream anymore, but he has lot most of his power in the high range, and I feel he played it safe on Fear Inoculum, even from a creative point of view. To take an example, the prosody is pretty much the same in all the songs (with a breaking of all the phrases in short groups of words), when on Lateralus Maynard was changing it every song. Even his lyrics are nowhere near his best. At this point, I think he doesn't care anymore, and haven't for at least a decade.

Adam has always been the weak point of Tool, and let's be honest, he's a mediocre guitarist. His main skill was writing great riffs, and at this point, he has exhausted all his tools (sorry for the pun). He tried to bring some new stuff here and there on Fear Inoculum, but I can't fathom how the band could think Adam could hold long instrumental passages on his own. Yet, I've nothing to say about his performance, it's pretty much the same as the old days.

I might seem overly critical, but I think the album is fine, and better that I thought it would be after 13 years. It's just that they're getting old, and it shows, and that metal have changed a lot since 2006, and there is better stuff out there these days.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #994 on: November 16, 2019, 03:34:47 AM »
I used to think for a while that the reason a new Tool album was dragging was simply because they were struggling to come up with new riffs and good ideas. Partly because the second half of 10K Days feels a bit 'b-side' quality wise (it has grown on me though) and I remember reading some of the parts of 10K Days had been circulating in live shows for years, so to me it felt a bit like Tool was one of those bands that could never pump out an album every 2-3 years simply because they would need a 4-5 year period at least to come up with 70 minutes of good stuff. Whether this is accurate or not is of course hard to say, but to me, none of the songs on Fear Inoculum has that "b-side" feeling and I do feel like whether it's the guitar riffs, the bass parts or the drums, the songs really deliver quite strongly. Adam Jones might be a limited guitarist for all i know, but just basing it on the album I think it's all it needs to be and more.

For me it adds to what makes Tool a special band. Unlike many other bands who pump out an album every 2-3 years who expose their weaknesses, the fact that Tool has been very selective and restricted and only put out 5 (!) albums in 30 years as a band - where each album is great or better, it's just quite interesting to me. Had they put out another 4-5 albums we might have a totally different scenario where their limitations were showcased but at least for me they have managed to do that. While Tool isn't among my very favorites (I still like them a lot) their approach to putting out albums almost feels like the Daniel Day Lewis approach to acting where he will make 1 movie every 3-4 years but you know he's gonna give it 110% and you're gonna get something great.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: November 16, 2019, 06:06:43 AM »
I know, I know, opinions.

Normally I ignore contrary opinions. But this bit, I think, begs for clarification due to the authoritative tone you take.

Danny has never been the most even drummer, but the tempos are all over the place on this record. He's very unsteady, changing the tempo almost every mesure in certain passages (especially the climax of the songs). This has nothing to do with the writing (I agree he's the most interesting player on the album), but with the performance. It's disheartening how he drags and kills the mometum at some points. I think he would have played the same parts way better 10 or 15 years ago. He's 58 years old after all.

Have you measured the performance with some kind of software or something? Tempo drops? I don't hear that at all... of course, I'm 58 years old so you can't really expect me to be a valid human anymore. Right?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline emtee

« Reply #996 on: November 16, 2019, 06:27:42 AM »
My favorite album of theirs by a wide margin. Masterpiece!

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #997 on: November 16, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »
Have you measured the performance with some kind of software or something? Tempo drops? I don't hear that at all...
I've heard them since the first time I've heard the record, but if you really need proof, here you go :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLK6lhwXAb8

That guy had to check all the tempo changes to play along. Some are here for expressive reasons, but others are plain unevenness.

Edit : I see that he also did Descending, and it confirms one of the most audible tempo drop of the record, and probably the one I dislike the most (from 9'45, 180-182 bmp than 174 bpm than the big drop at 167 bpm) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el37hdQK6GU

of course, I'm 58 years old so you can't really expect me to be a valid human anymore. Right?
Drums are a very physical instrument, so I thought his age could be a acceptable explanation for his lack of regularity and power compared to his younger days, considering how busy his parts are. Other drummers are still very powerful and tight at the same age. Do you prefer the other explanation (Danny is just not a very tight drummer)?
Once again, I think Danny is still creative and by far the best player on Fear Inoculum. I just don't think he performs on the album at the level he used to.
For the record, the best musician I've ever heard play live was 88 years old.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:38:30 AM by Kilgore Trout »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: November 16, 2019, 02:41:00 PM »
I couldn't care less if he changes something a few bpm in a song.  His performance is one of the main reasons I'm enjoying this album so much.    Simple.  Maynard I agree is a bit safe.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: November 16, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
After 2 listens through, I actually think Invincible is my fav so far.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1000 on: November 16, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Probably my least favorite Tool album. Songs are a bit too drawn out (this coming from a DT fan).

I’m only a casual Tool fan, though. I kind of feel they’ve been writing the same song for 20 years now. They’re like the AC/DC of prog metal. Not necessarily a bad thing but I really wouldn’t say they are progressing anything these days. They put on a hell of a show, though.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1001 on: November 16, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
Double post delete

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1002 on: November 16, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
Have you measured the performance with some kind of software or something? Tempo drops? I don't hear that at all...
I've heard them since the first time I've heard the record, but if you really need proof, here you go :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLK6lhwXAb8

That guy had to check all the tempo changes to play along. Some are here for expressive reasons, but others are plain unevenness.

That's pretty interesting - thanks for sharing. Though to me, all this really proves is that he didn't play to a click while recording. Aside from the obvious tempo switch-ups that are clearly intentional (i.e. the one in Descending that you called out), I wouldn't call any of that uneven-ness consequential or even that noticeable at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline tofee35

« Reply #1003 on: November 18, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
Maaaan. I saw them live in Boston last week, and I was absolutely blown away by everything; the song arrangements, the performances, the visuals, the attention to every detail from the band to the crews. That was a show. Wow. I have never been a Tool fan, because I just never loved their sound enough to invest real time into them. But, I got invited to the show and I'm still thinking about it. I enjoyed it better than the 2 DT's shows I've been to, and DT is a top 3 band for me. That's saying a lot. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to diving into their back catalog a bit more.

-Tof

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: November 20, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
After 2 listens through, I actually think Invincible is my fav so far.

After about 10 listens, I tend to agree. Heavy, melodic and rhythmic.

I love Maynard's performance on this one. The part where he sings, "Heavy shield down" is pretty moving.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: November 20, 2019, 12:49:34 PM »
https://www.spin.com/2019/11/tool-fear-inoculum-grammy-nominations/

Best Metal Performance for “7empest” and Best Rock Song for the album’s title track.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1006 on: November 20, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »
Probably my least favorite Tool album. Songs are a bit too drawn out (this coming from a DT fan).

I’m only a casual Tool fan, though. I kind of feel they’ve been writing the same song for 20 years now. They’re like the AC/DC of prog metal. Not necessarily a bad thing but I really wouldn’t say they are progressing anything these days. They put on a hell of a show, though.

This is mostly me.  I found the songs kind of lacking in tempo especially for how long they are.  And I felt like they had reused too many ideas from previous albums. There are some good moments for sure but they are just too few and far between for me.  It isn't their worst album imho but certainly their worst since before Aenima, again imho.

However, I do think it is a good album for contemplation, in fact, maybe the very best.

I'll keep listening and maybe I'll change my mind some day.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1007 on: November 20, 2019, 10:02:23 PM »
I’m curious, what’s everyone’s favorite song from each album? I’ll start:

Undertow - Crawl Away
Ænima - Pushit
Lateralus - Lateralus
10,000 Days - Right In Two
Fear Inoculum - Descending

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1008 on: November 20, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »
I’m curious, what’s everyone’s favorite song from each album? I’ll start:

Undertow - Crawl Away
Ænima - Pushit
Lateralus - Lateralus
10,000 Days - Right In Two
Fear Inoculum - Descending
Undertow - either Bottom or Sober
Ænima - Eulogy
Lateralus - Lateralus
10,000 Days - 10,000 Days
Fear Inoculum - Pneuma
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1009 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »
Undertow - 4°
Aenima - Pushit
Lateralus - Disposition/Reflection
10,000 Days - Intension
Fear Inoculum - Culling Voices
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: November 21, 2019, 12:16:59 AM »
Undertow - Sober
Aenima - Eulogy
Lateralus - Ticks and Leeches
10,000 Days - Right in Two
Fear Inoculum - Invincible

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: November 21, 2019, 05:08:30 AM »
Hrmm this is tough:

Undertow - Undertow
Aenima - Stinkfist
Lateralus - Reflection
10,000 Days - Right in Two
Fear Innoculum - Pneuma

Offline krands85

« Reply #1012 on: November 21, 2019, 05:32:51 AM »
Undertow - Sober
Aenima - Forty Six & 2
Lateralus - Parabol/Parabola
10,000 Days - Vicarious
Fear Innoculum - Pneuma probably
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1013 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37:04 AM »
Opiate - Cold and Ugly

Undertow- 4 Degrees
Aenima- Aenima
Lateralus- Reflection
10,000 Days- Rosetta stoned
Fear Innoculum- Pneuma

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1014 on: November 21, 2019, 05:40:11 AM »
Oh man that is really hard. In my opinion, Tool albums function best as whole pieces of music and it's hard for me to pick one song off any album that is supposed to be "the best". The question for me with those songs is: they are supposed to be "the best" in what?

Vicarious is an awesome rocker, a great single and it's super catchy for someone who wants to get into Tool. I can never hold still or listen to it without unpacking my air drums or imitating MJK during the finale. Still, the double decker Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is the key masterpiece of 10.000 Days, though it's a LOT harder to get into.

7empest might be the song off Fear Inoculum that is most appealing to old school fans of the band. Plus, the interaction between the band members and their performances are amazing. But the epic build-up and finale in Descending, the suspense in the endless riff interlude in Invincible or the in every way perfect structure of Pneuma are just as unmatched in their own way.

So, I think that Tool songs are so multilayered and packed with their own different qualities (of course within the range and style of the band) that it's impossible for me to just pick one song that is the best off each album. I hope that makes sense.
any rock can be made to roll