Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112695 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #945 on: November 10, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »
If any of you mangs are planning to see Tool and you're one of these people who absolutely must use their phone during concerts...beware :lol

https://www.radio.com/music/rock/tool-to-eject-fans-who-violate-concert-cell-phone-policy
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #946 on: November 10, 2019, 10:32:40 PM »
If any of you mangs are planning to see Tool and you're one of these people who absolutely must use their phone during concerts...beware :lol

https://www.radio.com/music/rock/tool-to-eject-fans-who-violate-concert-cell-phone-policy

I was at the Chicago show and they weren't messing around with this. Postings everywhere and several pre-show announcements.

When I saw them at the Allstate Arena a few years ago it was similar. The camera nazi's were out in force. All night long I was dealing with ushers shining flashlights on people and telling them to stop. It was super annoying. I guess raising the stakes to one strike and your out sets a stronger precedent.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #947 on: November 10, 2019, 10:35:57 PM »

I was at the Chicago show and they weren't messing around with this. Postings everywhere and several pre-show announcements.

When I saw them at the Allstate Arena a few years ago it was similar. The camera nazi's were out in force. All night long I was dealing with ushers shining flashlights on people and telling them to stop. It was super annoying. I guess raising the stakes to one strike and your out sets a stronger precedent.

I was at the same 2 shows and I can confirm this. Although on this tour Maynard is allowing filming for the last song only.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:21 AM »

I was at the same 2 shows and I can confirm this. Although on this tour Maynard is allowing filming for the last song only.

I saw that one some setlists on setlist.fm, it would have a line that said (Maynard allowed phones)

I don't mind, the days of me filiming a bunch of the show is over. I usually take a pic when I get to the venue, where I'm sitting, and what the stage looks like. I wonder if they wanted to use those green phone bags this tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: November 11, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
I've heard about this and another reason not to go to a Tool concert.  I think the local news spoke of 100+ being kicked out of the last local Tool show some years ago.  They are actually playing here this weekend and I have no desire to go.  What does Maynard care?  He's in the back anyway.  I guess him letting usage during the last song is some sort of leniency from his end, but it's such a no fun scene IMO when the band is dictating how you enjoy the show.  Same with Dream Theater.  When the ushers are out, it's a poor experience. Id rather have people taking video than the flashlights and ushers. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #950 on: November 11, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »
A "no phone"-policy actually sounds amazing, would probably get me to go to more concerts honestly.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: November 11, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
A "no phone"-policy actually sounds amazing, would probably get me to go to more concerts honestly.

It doesn't really bother me, filming has gotten really bad at some shows I've been through where I'm trying to see the concert through the multiple lenses of peoples cell phone cameras.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #952 on: November 11, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
Well, Tool is one of those bands that seem to have spent a lot of thought on what they want the shows to look / feel like, similar to Amenra for example. I could understand that they want to preserve that mood they try to create. I'm in the camp of people that don't care if someone takes out their phone for an occasional photo or short video, but it's way harder to control that than a complete ban, so to speak. I think most agree that it's not fun to stand behind a person who wants to videotape 80-100% of the concert (I've seen this before, honestly)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #953 on: November 11, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
Security at the DT show in San Antonio was very tight. They did allowed pictures though. No videos.

I do like this policy. Not sure why would you want to experience the show in a small screen after paying $100 plus dollars to see them....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: November 11, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
One of the reasons I tried to get to the front row for the most shows this year. Stood in the back at that one Amorphis gig and all I could see was a sea of phones in the air. I'm pretty happy with this policy, even if it means I won't be able to take an occasional picture.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #955 on: November 11, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
I've heard about this and another reason not to go to a Tool concert.  I think the local news spoke of 100+ being kicked out of the last local Tool show some years ago.  They are actually playing here this weekend and I have no desire to go.  What does Maynard care?  He's in the back anyway.  I guess him letting usage during the last song is some sort of leniency from his end, but it's such a no fun scene IMO when the band is dictating how you enjoy the show.  Same with Dream Theater.  When the ushers are out, it's a poor experience. Id rather have people taking video than the flashlights and ushers.

Sucks for you then. I find that thinking funny. I can't film or take a picture so i won't go?! Im there to see the band and hear the music.

I can see how phones can be distracting for the band. They want to see peoples faces, reactions, and eyes, it makes a connection. Kind of hard to do when all you see is mainly phones.

The Aristocrats did the same thing at our local venue Launchpad, not big at all. Bryan Beller even explained why they made that decision. They want people to enjoy the show, in the moment. He said you can take a quick picture, no recording though (one guy was and Bryan made his roadie guy let the person know, he took the sign and put it up to his phone and face which was funny).

I'm finding myself actually not taking vids or pics as much anymore. It feels good to just watch the show and look at everything. Some shows I enjoy watching from the back.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #956 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:39 AM »
I'm finding myself actually not taking vids or pics as much anymore. It feels good to just watch the show and look at everything. Some shows I enjoy watching from the back.

Agree with this. At most, I might take a picture of the stage and 1 or 2 pictures during the show, but I could do without it. I remember for the 2016 I&W and beyond tour, JLB said something about using phones, and how he much rather people put their phones away and experience the show as is.

However, I do understand that taking pictures and videos means a lot for people who don't get to see a band as often or don't have the opportunity to go to a concert in general.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: November 11, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »

Sucks for you then. I find that thinking funny. I can't film or take a picture so i won't go?! Im there to see the band and hear the music.

I can see how phones can be distracting for the band. They want to see peoples faces, reactions, and eyes, it makes a connection. Kind of hard to do when all you see is mainly phones.

That's not the reason not to go, just one of many not to bother with a Tool show.  First most being I haven't truly enjoyed their music in 20 years (but I haven't even attempted to listen in the last 10 or so).  But I don't like the idea of someone trying to tell me how to enjoy a show.  It's also an arena tour, so no one's phone is in your way unless you are on the floor.  I do get that point though, and for people in the pit to be annoyed by a phone in your way is legit.  No issue there.   I went to a small show in DC a few weeks ago for a new band and they asked no video be put online, didn't care if you took some but just don't share it because they wanted their shows to be unique and only known to people who went.  I think that's kind of foolish, but at the same time, I respect it.  Tool just comes off as well, tools, when they try to put these rules and then enforce them to a point where it's hurting the experience more so than what they were trying to stop.  I just don't like that attitude.  And this is combined with Maynard being in the back.  Clearly not feeling the vibe of "They want to see peoples faces, reactions, and eyes, it makes a connection"  I'd feel better about their decision if this actually was the case. 

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #958 on: November 12, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
I don't really listen to Tool; I've heard some songs over the years, but I don't care all that much for 'em. However, I decided on a whim to try out Fear Inoculum today. It's a lot better than I thought it'd be, actually. I've only heard each song once, so these are just initial impressions, but I think my song rankings would go like this:

1. 7empest (Great)
2. Fear Inoculum (Great)
3. Descending (Good)
4. Pnuema (Good)
5. Chocolate Chip Trip (Good)
6. Invincible (Good)
7. Culling Voices (Decent)
8. Litanie contre la peur (Decent)
9. Mockingbeat (Mediocre)
10. Legion Inoculant (Mediocre)

Aside from Legion Inoculant actually making my head hurt, and Mockingbeat being... noise... This was overall a pretty good experience! I doubt I'd ever check out the rest of their discography (their previous stuff all just sounds the same to me) but FI is good enough that I'd definitely listen to it again and again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #959 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »

That's not the reason not to go, just one of many not to bother with a Tool show.  First most being I haven't truly enjoyed their music in 20 years (but I haven't even attempted to listen in the last 10 or so).  But I don't like the idea of someone trying to tell me how to enjoy a show. It's also an arena tour, so no one's phone is in your way unless you are on the floor.  I do get that point though, and for people in the pit to be annoyed by a phone in your way is legit.  No issue there.   I went to a small show in DC a few weeks ago for a new band and they asked no video be put online, didn't care if you took some but just don't share it because they wanted their shows to be unique and only known to people who went.  I think that's kind of foolish, but at the same time, I respect it.  Tool just comes off as well, tools, when they try to put these rules and then enforce them to a point where it's hurting the experience more so than what they were trying to stop.  I just don't like that attitude.  And this is combined with Maynard being in the back.  Clearly not feeling the vibe of "They want to see peoples faces, reactions, and eyes, it makes a connection"  I'd feel better about their decision if this actually was the case.

Buying a ticket to a concert does not give you the right to do whatever you want. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #960 on: November 12, 2019, 08:11:28 PM »
Kev, it's stupid to do this to fans.  DT should cut the crap as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #961 on: November 12, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »
Kev, it's stupid to do this to fans.  DT should cut the crap as well.

Well, in a sense, it is like putting the toothpaste back in the tube, as many fans feel they are entitled to do whatever they want at concerts and will throw a major fit if they can't spend 90% of the show glued to their phone, but if a band/artists says no, then let them know you are dissatisfied by not going.  I have lost track at how many times I have had my view of the band impaired at concerts by nimrods holding their phone up, and if this gets less people to do it, I am in favor of it. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: November 12, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »
Well the band isn't doing that for your sake.  They think I'm an artist,  I demand your attention.   

If that were the case bands would ban anyone over 6 feet tall.  Those assholes are worse than phones. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #963 on: November 12, 2019, 08:23:38 PM »
I am only 5' 10 1/2", so I can get on board with that.  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: November 12, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »
 :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #965 on: November 12, 2019, 08:58:45 PM »
Well the band isn't doing that for your sake.  They think I'm an artist,  I demand your attention.   

If that were the case bands would ban anyone over 6 feet tall.  Those assholes are worse than phones. :lol

Sucks when they won't move when theirs a clear spot next to them I can't get to unless he moves.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online The Letter M

« Reply #966 on: November 13, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
https://smarturl.it/TOOLFIEXB

"An expanded book edition of Fear Inoculum will be released on Dec. 13, with a pre-order available now: https://smarturl.it/TOOLFIEXB.

The new iteration of Fear Inoculum includes 5 x 3D lenticular cards with exclusive graphics, an expanded 56 page booklet with additional never-before-seen art, a download of the groundbreaking immersive visual experience (video), “Recusant Ad Infinitum,” and a CD."

It's going for $34.98 on Amazon right now. I knew this would happen...do I really need 2 versions of the same album? Hmmm...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: November 13, 2019, 08:23:12 AM »

That's not the reason not to go, just one of many not to bother with a Tool show.  First most being I haven't truly enjoyed their music in 20 years (but I haven't even attempted to listen in the last 10 or so).  But I don't like the idea of someone trying to tell me how to enjoy a show. It's also an arena tour, so no one's phone is in your way unless you are on the floor.  I do get that point though, and for people in the pit to be annoyed by a phone in your way is legit.  No issue there.   I went to a small show in DC a few weeks ago for a new band and they asked no video be put online, didn't care if you took some but just don't share it because they wanted their shows to be unique and only known to people who went.  I think that's kind of foolish, but at the same time, I respect it.  Tool just comes off as well, tools, when they try to put these rules and then enforce them to a point where it's hurting the experience more so than what they were trying to stop.  I just don't like that attitude.  And this is combined with Maynard being in the back.  Clearly not feeling the vibe of "They want to see peoples faces, reactions, and eyes, it makes a connection"  I'd feel better about their decision if this actually was the case.

Buying a ticket to a concert does not give you the right to do whatever you want.

And hence why I'm not buying one for their show this weekend in NJ.  It's not the right environment for me.  Either way, no one said "do whatever you want" It's about enjoying the show how I want to view it within my own confines of my seat. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #968 on: November 13, 2019, 08:54:13 AM »

And hence why I'm not buying one for their show this weekend in NJ.  It's not the right environment for me.  Either way, no one said "do whatever you want" It's about enjoying the show how I want to view it within my own confines of my seat.

I get that, but if the artist says no to something specific, your ticket does not give the right to do it anyway just because you consider it part of your enjoyment. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #969 on: November 13, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »

"An expanded book edition of Fear Inoculum will be released on Dec. 13, with a pre-order available now: https://smarturl.it/TOOLFIEXB.

The new iteration of Fear Inoculum includes 5 x 3D lenticular cards with exclusive graphics, an expanded 56 page booklet with additional never-before-seen art, a download of the groundbreaking immersive visual experience (video), “Recusant Ad Infinitum,” and a CD."

It's going for $34.98 on Amazon right now. I knew this would happen...do I really need 2 versions of the same album? Hmmm...

-Marc.

This is such a dick move  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: November 13, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »

-Marc.

This is such a dick move  :lol

In sweden it is about 1/3rd of the price of the previous version, might have to preorder it.
Still about 3 times a normal CD though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #971 on: November 13, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
I'll have to wait for the vinyl edition.. I don't even have a CD player in my apartment.
any rock can be made to roll

Online faizoff

« Reply #972 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »

-Marc.

Such a dick move.... And pre-ordered.

;D
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #973 on: November 13, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
Looks like they also announced additional tour dates. I might be able to make that Atlanta date in end of January. Fingers crossed!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: November 13, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
I preordered the dick move CD today....

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:45 PM »

-Marc.

I was happy spending the money on the first edition just 5 days ago.  Now......not so much.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #976 on: November 14, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »
Waiting paid off. Still, it's more than I have ever
paid for a CD but in this case it's worth it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: November 15, 2019, 04:17:23 AM »
I haven't listened to this yet and to be honest not really in a rush to.  I'll get around to it.  I might wait another 13 years to listen until the next one so I'll get 2 full albums at once.  :metal

I'm on my first listen in the car and just finished Descending.  I actually fucking love it so far.  Some of the tribal like rhythms are just insane and the production is amazing.  I never really expected much heaviness but I'm satisfied so far.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: November 15, 2019, 04:51:23 AM »
I haven't listened to this yet and to be honest not really in a rush to.  I'll get around to it.  I might wait another 13 years to listen until the next one so I'll get 2 full albums at once.  :metal

I'm on my first listen in the car and just finished Descending.  I actually fucking love it so far.  Some of the tribal like rhythms are just insane and the production is amazing.  I never really expected much heaviness but I'm satisfied so far.

Yeah, cranking this album in the car is a fantastic way to listen to it. The production is crystal clear and experiencing the quiet bits at a good volume really helps when the band ratchets up the tension. As for the heavy, I think the band did a great job of balancing the Tool mystic vibe with the surprisingly heavy riffing. There are a few places on the album that remind me of Undertow... like when Maynard says "Here we go again," 7empest.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: November 15, 2019, 05:26:58 AM »

It's really quite good, in my opinion. I went in with absolutely no expectations and wasn't too big on it at first but after only a few listens I liked most of the songs.

Hopefully this new expanded edition finds its way into our local record store.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.