Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112514 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #910 on: September 15, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
Yeah I didn't expect to like this album this much, and also to not listen to it as much as I do, given my usual dislike of longer-based tracks these days. Periphery destroyed that recently with Reptile, and now Tool has destroyed it even more with an entire album of awesomeness where each track is longer than I usually like them to be. Granted, I definitely find myself wanting to skip to my favorite parts but I end up listening to the entirety. Really fantastic album. I think the standout track for me is Culling Voices, followed closely by Invincible. The only track that I don't like is Mockingbeat, which I find completely annoying, and I know it's one of those "extras" given it's not even on the physical album, but there's a reason they put it on there at all, and I cannot find that reason.  :lol Even Chocolate Chip Trip is really cool, but Mockingbeat...I can't. Other than that, this is an epic album on all levels, and I hate using that word, but I feel I have to given that they've actually done what I'm pretty sure even the most direhard of fans had a hard time clinging to: not just release an album, but a fantastic one that can safely sit next to the rest of their discography.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #911 on: September 15, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
Culling Voices is an original. And I feel Tool fans weren't ready for it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #912 on: October 22, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »
TOOL - Pneuma live Aftershock Festival 2019 (first time live)

The back and forth riff between the bass and guitar is pretty epic. It's a bit confusing when the guitar starts to play a diffrent line at 4:05.  :hefdaddy
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #913 on: October 22, 2019, 11:43:29 PM »

The back and forth riff between the bass and guitar is pretty epic. It's a bit confusing when the guitar starts to play a diffrent line at 4:05.  :hefdaddy

I have never seen Maynard do what he did toward the end of the video... Coming to the front of the stage and, you know, communicating with the audience that way.

Tool are becoming more human.. maybe we'll get a live DVD after all  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #914 on: October 23, 2019, 12:19:53 AM »

I have never seen Maynard do what he did toward the end of the video... Coming to the front of the stage and, you know, communicating with the audience that way.

Tool are becoming more human.. maybe we'll get a live DVD after all  :lol
And maybe we will get 1 more studio album before the universe is destroyed in heat death.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #915 on: October 28, 2019, 05:38:18 AM »
Almost 2 months later and FI has aged very well for me. I listen to this thing all the time.

All the other Tool albums, I kind of need to be in the right mood to listen to, but with the latest album I can put it on almost anytime.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #916 on: October 29, 2019, 12:00:20 AM »
This cover of 46 & 2 popped up in my YouTube feed, if you like brass in your rock covers, definitely check it out!

https://youtu.be/3GCZYsBBpf0

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: October 29, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »

A big reason why I have little desire to go to a Tool concert.  Im not a fan of his style of performing from the back and not engaging with the people in any way.  Makes me a feel a disconnect.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #918 on: October 29, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »

A big reason why I have little desire to go to a Tool concert.  Im not a fan of his style of performing from the back and not engaging with the people in any way.  Makes me a feel a disconnect.

Same with me. I've only seen Tool once back in 2010 and I was so disappointed that he was tucked behind the shadows. Zero audience interaction and when the last song was done, poof he was gone.

And this was made twice as shitty since I saw A perfect circle in 2000 where he was dead center front of the stage, fully lighted and heavily interacting with the audience and it sure as shit made a difference.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #919 on: October 29, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
In 2007 the band minus Maynard were on the stage sitting there for a good minute during Intermission. It was right after they finished playing 10,000 Days and the entire venue was lit up with lighters, looked like a candlelight vigil.

I don't mind if Maynard doesn't go out as he's not the only reason I go to see Tool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: October 29, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »
Probably should listen to this album one day.  Not putting out a basic physical copy really irked me to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: October 30, 2019, 05:16:25 AM »
Probably should listen to this album one day.  Not putting out a basic physical copy really irked me to be honest.

I hear ya. I waited two months to see if the CD would come down in price...nope. It's more now than when it was released. I finally broke down and bought a digital copy and burned my own CD.

Great, great album! Pneuma very well may be the best thing they've ever done.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
burned my own CD.

In one thread we are talking about getting rid of CDs and you are here burning your own  :lol that feels so old school to me, I can't remember the last time I even saw a blank CD to burn when I used to buy stacks of 50 of them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #923 on: October 30, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »
I haven't touched a physical CD since maybe 2009. I can't even remember.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
burned my own CD.

In one thread we are talking about getting rid of CDs and you are here burning your own  :lol that feels so old school to me, I can't remember the last time I even saw a blank CD to burn when I used to buy stacks of 50 of them.

I'm old. My car is old. The radio in my car is old (only plays CD's). We still all rock though.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #925 on: October 30, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Maynard is disconnected from the audience, but I thought he still had this commanding presence up there, maybe it was the riot gear he was wearing  :lol
I've never understood why he is at the back of the stage and not lit up. I think the whole idea of him wanting the spotlight to be on the musicians is kind of a lame excuse, I still was looking and Maynard, I didn't pay anymore attention to the music. It just seems like a lazy excuse.

Also, on the past topic of disappointment at Tool shows, at the St Paul show 2 years ago, they played the first set of 10 songs, then took a 15 minute intermission. Then, normally Danny comes out and does a drum solo and they do 4 more songs after that. After the first set for St. Paul, they took the 15 minute intermission, Danny came out and did the solo and then Tool played for 8 minutes and the show was done. They cut 2 songs and just awkwardly ended the show and took a bow. It was so weird, it was really anticlimactic. They took a 15 minute intermission only to play for 8 minutes. I don't think anything happened, but the lights came up and everyone looked at each other and went "That's it?"

Super weird.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #926 on: October 30, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
Just got floor 9th row seats for the Raleigh show.
 I cannot wait. My body is ready.
I actually just found out today that I will be getting to attend that show in my company's suite.

:hat
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: October 30, 2019, 02:19:10 PM »
Hef that is awesome! Company perk I'm guessing? All I've been able to attend is a minor league baseball game at my companies suite lol.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #928 on: October 30, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »
Hef that is awesome! Company perk I'm guessing? All I've been able to attend is a minor league baseball game at my companies suite lol.
Yep, company perk.  More people wanted to attend than they had room for, so I was on a wait list, but someone dropped out, so I got my spot.

I've been able to attend other things there before as well (NC State basketball games, WWE shows).  Fun, fun, fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: October 30, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »
burned my own CD.

I'm old. My car is old. The radio in my car is old (only plays CD's). We still all rock though.

Nice, just thought the juxtaposition was funny between convos on DTF.  I cleaned my basement and found my old cd case of my burned CDs for my car from high school.  Good memories of making discs like "power metal" "80s hair metal" and "best of" whoever I was enjoying at the moment. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: October 30, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »
Yep, company perk.  More people wanted to attend than they had room for, so I was on a wait list, but someone dropped out, so I got my spot.

I've been able to attend other things there before as well (NC State basketball games, WWE shows).  Fun, fun, fun.

Nice :tup

Well if you have time before or after the show let me know. I'll be in Raleigh around 3pm and I'll be staying the night there after the show so we can meet up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #931 on: October 31, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »

Nice :tup

Well if you have time before or after the show let me know. I'll be in Raleigh around 3pm and I'll be staying the night there after the show so we can meet up.
Cool.  I'll check my schedule (meaning, of course, I will ask my wife if she has something planned for me/us).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: November 09, 2019, 03:45:32 AM »
I'm not sure if there has been another run of the new album in its physical format but I went window shopping and at the local music store (JB) I see about 5 copies of Fear Inocolum sitting there.  What a surprise.  Has a staggering price tag of $150!!! The store was having 20% of cd's so I just purchased it.

Still haven't listened to it but the packaging is beautiful.  Wonderful booklet a nice download of the album too.  $120 is absolutely crazy but since I can afford it, I'm happy picking it up.  Just have to get into a Tool mood to get into the album.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: November 09, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
Goddamn that's a hell of a markup! I do love the packaging, I don't buy any cd's anymore but I'm happy to have this in my collection.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #934 on: November 09, 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
I'm not sure if there has been another run of the new album in its physical format but I went window shopping and at the local music store (JB) I see about 5 copies of Fear Inocolum sitting there.  What a surprise.  Has a staggering price tag of $150!!! The store was having 20% of cd's so I just purchased it.

Still haven't listened to it but the packaging is beautiful.  Wonderful booklet a nice download of the album too.  $120 is absolutely crazy but since I can afford it, I'm happy picking it up.  Just have to get into a Tool mood to get into the album.

What?! I didn't even pay that much for mine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: November 09, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Yeah I don't know what the going cost was but this is a special occasion and one of those instances I couldn't leave without it.  The 20% off really sold it also.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #936 on: November 09, 2019, 03:59:58 PM »

There was the initial pressing which sold out generally by the time it was released. The band then did a special second pressing but it had to be ordered via their website. To my knowledge, that's it.

However, Amazon is showing it as in stock and selling for $50. Not sure what the deal is.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online The Letter M

« Reply #937 on: November 09, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »

There was the initial pressing which sold out generally by the time it was released. The band then did a special second pressing but it had to be ordered via their website. To my knowledge, that's it.

However, Amazon is showing it as in stock and selling for $50. Not sure what the deal is.

https://www.amazon.com/Fear-Inoculum-TOOL/dp/B07VGTYTBF/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Tool+Fear+Inoculum&qid=1573340552&sr=8-1

Wow, sure enough, it's in stock, and sold by Amazon for $49.98 USD. Amazing, I thought it would have been completely sold out by now! I'm still glad I pre-ordered when I did, when Amazon had it down to $37.67 before tax.

It's a great album, but is it worth more than $100? Maybe it will be in a few years, but given that no less than 24 sellers are selling it for less than $100 on Amazon alone probably means it isn't worth that much quite yet. The only upside to buying it in a brick-and-mortar store is that you get to see the product in your hands and inspect it for damages. To me, as a collector of many things (albums, figures, movies/BDs), that's the one huge down-side to ordering online: you can't inspect the product yourself.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #938 on: November 09, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Just bought it. They lowered the price to $37.11 lol.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #939 on: November 09, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »

Oh man, 11 cents cheaper than I got it! So jealous!

-Marc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: November 10, 2019, 03:37:54 AM »
Looks like I got well ripped off.  But I don't really care.  I never thought I'd get a copy so the experience of seeing this instore and paying for it and taking it home the old shool way makes me a happy camper.  Luckily, I can very well afford it, so it's no issue.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #941 on: November 10, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »

Oh man, 11 cents cheaper than I got it! So jealous!

-Marc.

I thought you bought it for 49.99. Didn't mean to be an ass. But I'm glad I read your post because I striked out on the initial run on both Amazon and Tool's website.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: November 10, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »
Looks like I got well ripped off.  But I don't really care.  I never thought I'd get a copy so the experience of seeing this instore and paying for it and taking it home the old shool way makes me a happy camper.  Luckily, I can very well afford it, so it's no issue.

Man, depends on your location. Don't know about the Australian prices but in our record store it's still like $120. I really like the album but this is way too much for me to drop on this record.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #943 on: November 10, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
I mean even if you get it on a site like Amazon, you're still going to have to pay a pretty penny for shipping costs to Australia.  I don't think if the costs would reach over $100.00 including tax and shipping, but that seems a bit too excessive for an album, unless the artwork and certain intricacies in the package can be really worthwhile to the fans.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #944 on: November 10, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »

Man, depends on your location. Don't know about the Australian prices but in our record store it's still like $120. I really like the album but this is way too much for me to drop on this record.
I've gone with the 24 bit download version of the album. Significantly cheaper (about 17 €), about 10 minutes longer (includes 3 extra pieces, 87 minutes long) and it sounds splendid. (and it saves shelf space too, which is a factor given that me and my father both own close to 5000 albums altogether) Just so you know and if you can play 24 bit audio, then by all means go for that.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"