Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112863 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #840 on: August 31, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
As a first impression I like this. It's Tool sticking to their Tool standards. Sure I expected a little bit more heavyness, but Aenima was more than 20 years ago and so was Lateralus (Almost); this is a natural progression from 10000 Days and, save from Vicarious, Wings for Marie and the title track, it seems more mature than 10000 Days imo. I loved Descending even more than the live versions I've heard so far, and 7empest is the true highlight of the album, I see it as an instant classic.

I need more time to get into the rest of the songs. Culling Voices sounds real good, too. In general I'm overall pleased with the album, it's all I wanted to hear after 13 years of waiting. I wanted new Tool songs, new Tool songs is what I got.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:18:39 AM by LCArenas »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #841 on: August 31, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »
My copy arrived today from B&N. It is in excellent condition. It is quite the presentation. I had feared by the manhandling video that the sleeves would be overly tight but, to my surprise, they are just perfectly packed. I have dealt with sleeve types like this where you need a jackhammer to get the contents out but this set is perfect. I watched the video on the built in screen and it has some really cool animation. Downloaded my mp3 copy so I can get the transition tracks. They are 320 kbps.

Haven't had a chance to actually listen. Have yard work. Just taking a break right now then back to the yard.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #842 on: August 31, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »
This album is the very definition of “a grower, not a shower.”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #843 on: August 31, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
This album is the very definition of “a grower, not a shower.”
I'd agree for now and this might not be a bad thing in and of itself, some of my personal favourites by other bands were "growers" (every Peter Gabriel album as an example and some by Kate Bush too)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

« Reply #844 on: August 31, 2019, 01:02:44 PM »
Amazing album! Wow!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #845 on: August 31, 2019, 03:57:45 PM »
On my first listen now. It's Tool. Not disliking anything yet. It's kind of chill Tool so far.

Like someone else mentioned, Pneuma definitely sounds like other Tool. Sort of like they ripped themselves off, unless it's some Part 2 or continuation or something. Who knows, liking it so far.

Woah, it is totally Schism. It's just a mild altering of the melody. Interesting.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #846 on: August 31, 2019, 07:37:31 PM »
On my first listen now. It's Tool. Not disliking anything yet. It's kind of chill Tool so far.

Like someone else mentioned, Pneuma definitely sounds like other Tool. Sort of like they ripped themselves off, unless it's some Part 2 or continuation or something. Who knows, liking it so far.

Woah, it is totally Schism. It's just a mild altering of the melody. Interesting.

Ah I thought one of the songs sounded familiar.

I had the same initial impressions of the album. Sounds like Tool. I think because the band has such a distinctive sound and writing style (Adam Jones' usual bag of tricks) it makes everything sound kind of the same. But after a few listens, the tracks have started to stand out on their own for me.

7empest definitely sounds like something from the earlier albums which is a good thing, I think.

Carey's drumming during that middle (I think) part of Invincible is sexcellent.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #847 on: August 31, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
After a few listens this album is amazing. Its a lot more chill than other albums and Dana Carey's drumming is out of this world, it's what really stood out even on the first listen.

I like the production of the album for the most part but there are parts here and there where there is clipping and it really annoys me when listening on headphones. Current favorite might be Tempest (hate referring to it with a 7)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #848 on: August 31, 2019, 08:35:12 PM »
Wow, Tempest!

Just finished my first listen to the whole album. Love it. Tempest just blew me away. Some insane playing from the boys.

Danny is on fire on this album. Dude is 58 and just doesn't stop.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #849 on: August 31, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
How about

Still, even with an album...Who gives a crap? 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: September 01, 2019, 04:45:06 AM »
I haven't listened to this yet and to be honest not really in a rush to.  I'll get around to it.  I might wait another 13 years to listen until the next one so I'll get 2 full albums at once.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #851 on: September 01, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
Reflections after several listens.

It's a hypnotic, immersive experience, that, when listened to in the proper mood and setting,
takes you on quite a journey. That's all anyone can ask of music.

Having said that, I concur with others that the majority of the album recalls cadences and feelings
of everything in their past--to the point that I feel my brain saying..."I know the pieces fit - I know the pieces fit."

The production is killer and it elevates the overall experience.

Offline fps

« Reply #852 on: September 01, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Continuing to listen to the new Tool album. I'll say this. If it's ever been for pseudo-intellectuals, musically speaking, the band will out them on this one, musically it feels like a massive leap in complexity from their other albums.
DEATH APE DISCO DEBUT ALBUM STREAMING IN FULL -------------------> https://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/
Like Clutch, Down, Alice In Chains? \m/

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #853 on: September 01, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
7empest could be my favorite Tool song.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #854 on: September 01, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »

It's a hypnotic, immersive experience, that, when listened to in the proper mood and setting,
takes you on quite a journey. That's all anyone can ask of music.

The production is killer and it elevates the overall experience.

These are pretty much my sentiments on the album. I do like the CD version more than the digital complete version.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: September 02, 2019, 02:45:54 AM »
I really hope I score a great ticket to NC. I wonder if joining the tool army is worth it.

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShM-EOAlj4

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #856 on: September 02, 2019, 06:43:21 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:54:39 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #857 on: September 02, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »
7empest could be my favorite Tool song.

I could get there with time.

I had to go out yesterday so I took the CD with me and immediately flipped it to track 7, which is Tempest. I was completely dialed into the music and was probably paying more attention to that then the road. Next thing I know my CD changer is moving to the next disc. I couldn't believe that nearly 16 minutes had passed. That's the sign of a great song.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #858 on: September 02, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
7empest (don't like the use of 7 there BTW) is definitely one of the most direct awesome songs on the album. Fear Inoculum and 7empest are the two songs I "get" but still have every reason to grow more. The other songs I know a bit but need much more time to digest and stand out as tracks. Currently they melt together a bit, which ofc is normal for an album with 6 tracks clocking over 10 minutes ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: September 02, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
So I know this is premature but what do you guys think? Is this the last tool album? I personally hope not but they a re getting older and if they dont put a new album out soon chances are slim for another one all together.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #860 on: September 02, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
Its possible that it could be their last. Danny Carey is almost 60 and if they follow the last timeline to make another one, then it will be cutting it close.

Or they could troll us even more and release the next one like 2 years from now  :lol

If it was their last, I would be happy with the albums they delivered to us. I love pretty much all of them.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #861 on: September 02, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
Personally, I think the best case scenario is one more album. I don't see more than that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #862 on: September 02, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
If they spiral back, the next one will be in 8 years.  ;)

Offline emtee

« Reply #863 on: September 02, 2019, 12:52:10 PM »
Fall your announced with Killing Joke.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #864 on: September 02, 2019, 01:21:50 PM »
I'll be in the DC area around that time and am wondering if I should get tickets for that date.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #865 on: September 02, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »
I was going to skip the tour for financial reasons but then they go an announce Killing Joke as support. I have never seen the Joke and it's the original lineup. I really want to go now. I may give it a shot for tickets on Friday. I know it's a long-shot. Ticketbastard will sell to the brokers first.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #866 on: September 02, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
I really hope they put Lateralus back in the setlist on this tour. I get why they shelved it, but it’s time!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #867 on: September 02, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
why did they shelve it?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #868 on: September 02, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »
why did they shelve it?

Probably just to give it some rest.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #869 on: September 02, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
I like the first four songs (not including the segues) quite a bit. Invincible struck me as too disorganized and repetitive at first, but I've warmed up to it. Culling Voices is pretty boring, and I'm not getting the love for Sevenempest at all. Did we really need five minutes of guitar soloing in the middle? The beginning and ending are better but it's not really enough to salvage the song for me.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: September 04, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »
Just went through my mail after getting back from vacation and opened up m FI box and it really is nice. I thought the screen was going to be poor quality but everything is put together really nicely.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #872 on: September 04, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
Dammit. Now my CD is delayed until the 18th.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: September 05, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »
We are excited to announce that due to overwhelming demand for the FEAR INOCULUM deluxe CD package, a small additional quantity is being made. We are offering a very limited pre-order for this final run of deluxe CD packages, which will be available exclusively via store.tooband.com. For US orders, this offer is available NOW for today only (until 11:59pm ET). For International orders, this offer is available for tomorrow only starting at 1:00pm ET (until 11:59pm ET). Those who pre-order will receive a download of the digital album featuring several bonus tracks. The CD packages should be ready to ship at the end of September.

https://store.toolband.com/cart

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #874 on: September 05, 2019, 04:31:44 PM »
So I've been listening to this for almost a month (I got a promo version a few weeks back.

At first, like most people I suspect, I was pretty meh on the single. But within the context of the album, I quickly grew to love it.

As for the album itself, I listened, then I listened, and then I listened some more. I didn't 'love' it at first, but everytime Tempest was over, I found myself wanting to just start over. With 15 or so listens under my belt, I realize now that while I probably wouldn't have been drooling over this ten or fifteen years ago, Fear Inoculum is exactly the kind of album 40-year-old me didn't know I was looking for. And because of that, I suspect I will listen to it far more in the coming years than the Lateralus re-tread I'd been expecting.