Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112831 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #805 on: August 30, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
Has Tool got something against Seattle lately? The last time they did a summer tour, they did Portland and Spokane but skipped Seattle. Now they are not coming to the Northwest at all. Not sure what’s going on there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline faizoff

« Reply #806 on: August 30, 2019, 08:24:16 AM »
Dang nothing close by. I was hoping at least Atlanta. NC will be a very long drive during Thanksgiving week.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #807 on: August 30, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
Got a shipping confirmation from B & N and am supposed to get the CD on Tuesday. Sweet.

Got mine too, but mine says I should have it tomorrow. Glad I jumped on it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #808 on: August 30, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »
Tool goes from not playing in Chicago in 10 years, to playing them 3 times in 2 years lol. Not complaining in the slightest, I’m there!!

Gonna be starting my first listen of the new album in about an hour, on the way to my camping trip. Can’t wait!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #809 on: August 30, 2019, 09:25:30 AM »
Just finished my first listen through, not bad. I'll give it a couple more spins before I form a better opinion, but there's definitely some cool stuff here.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: August 30, 2019, 09:58:01 AM »
I'm really liking this album. It has less nonsense than some of their previous work. 7empest is the best of the bunch without a doubt.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #811 on: August 30, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
I think it's time for a new thread title.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #812 on: August 30, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
Tomorrow is the thread title gonna change to "New Album v. Who Gives a Crap?" :neverusethis:
i proposed this yet nobody acknowledged it  :(

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #813 on: August 30, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »
Mine won't be delivered till next week from Target. Boo, I could've just went to the store today, Oh well. I can wait, I'll just Spotify it for now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #814 on: August 30, 2019, 10:45:04 AM »
I'm really liking this album. It has less nonsense than some of their previous work. 7empest is the best of the bunch without a doubt.

Full disclosure, I haven't heard it yet, but Seven-empest seems to be a very polarizing work.  I seem to read either "Holy shit is that awesome!" or "Holy shit, WTF is that?" and nothing in between. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: August 30, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »

Full disclosure, I haven't heard it yet, but Seven-empest seems to be a very polarizing work.  I seem to read either "Holy shit is that awesome!" or "Holy shit, WTF is that?" and nothing in between.

So, regular internet nowadays?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #816 on: August 30, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
tempest is nothing like the rest of the album which makes it the one interesting song on the album
of course, Wheel did it better half a year ago

Offline jammindude

« Reply #817 on: August 30, 2019, 11:22:41 AM »
Tomorrow is the thread title gonna change to "New Album v. Who Gives a Crap?" :neverusethis:
i proposed this yet nobody acknowledged it  :(

Successfully acknowledged.    ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #818 on: August 30, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
OMG this is just too funny. 

https://thehardtimes.net/music/new-tool-album-sounds-exactly-the-same-played-backwards/?fbclid=IwAR1WLsnjs7FTsYpjvtOQGcIhrwlU15Ivy0WMPqKlm4R7OypZBG7DuOI-ua4

“It’s genius: it’s the soundtrack to this collective loop of human suffering, like we’re all giving birth to our own mothers, you know?” said Westcott. “Tool is always pushing the envelope in one way or another — whether it’s through edgy lyrics about fisting your friends, or making fans wait years for progressive metal that sounds like a Rush cover band took too much ketamine and threw up all over a Led Zeppelin cover band. It’s everything I wanted it to be.”

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #819 on: August 30, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »
Tour days announced

https://loudwire.com/tool-2019-tour/

I will be going for sure

Offline jammindude

« Reply #820 on: August 30, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Tour days announced

https://loudwire.com/tool-2019-tour/

I will be going for sure

See the last post on the previous page.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #821 on: August 30, 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
tempest is nothing like the rest of the album which makes it the one interesting song on the album

Hehe.  That Wheel record is the best Tool record since Lateralus.  :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #822 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »

Hehe.  That Wheel record is the best Tool record since Lateralus.  :corn

Did a search for Wheel (band) at Wiki and got nothing.  Searched Google for Wheel Metal Band and got a band that hasn't released anything since 2013. 

So would you care to share with the rest of the class?   ;)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #823 on: August 30, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »
Never heard of wheel until just now, but I am assuming the album in question is Moving Backwards?

A band that gives me tool vibes is Ten Years, specifically their album the autumn effect

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #824 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:48 PM »
Chocolate Chip Trip is like a more intense Merkaba. Imagine the people's reactions who are listening to the album on LSD or Shrooms, when they get to this track.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline romdrums

« Reply #825 on: August 30, 2019, 12:44:21 PM »
Never heard of wheel until just now, but I am assuming the album in question is Moving Backwards?

A band that gives me tool vibes is Ten Years, specifically their album the autumn effect

Hey jammindude, this is the album in question.  Worth checking out.  Solid all the way through.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #826 on: August 30, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »
Ok, so, I gave Fear Inoculum a listen and I like it (but who am I to judge, I'm not too familar with Tool too much, although I own all their records)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #827 on: August 30, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »
Got mine in the mail over a couple hours ago. The packaging is WILD. Hard to believe this exists, with its screen and video presentation and all. The booklet has some great artwork and is well put together. Was this package worth the $39.93 I spent? Ehhh, possibly. I'm not sure how many times I'll be enjoying the video, but it's the music that matters most. For me, this is a slow burn album, but from the time I've had to listen to the music, I'm digging it. Worth the 13 year wait? Ehhh, kind of, but YMMV, depending on your patience and tastes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2019, 01:55:51 PM »
Just finished my first listen. So much to take in and it’s so dense. 7empest and Descending stuck out the most to me. Gotta dig deeper with this one though for sure!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #829 on: August 30, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
My first impressions are measured, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. My only complaint is how samey and homogeneous a lot of the album tends to sound, but maybe with further listens, the subtle differences between each track will become more apparent.

Descending and 7empest are the standouts for me so far. I really enjoy how restrained the band's approach is on this album overall though. Definitely more if a slow burn type of experience.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #830 on: August 30, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
First listen at work and it's not that positive,but I was distracted and not ready for it. Pneuma is too much similar to Schism in various moments...

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #831 on: August 30, 2019, 03:06:05 PM »
First impressions from this morning:

Honestly, the album is decent. Not great, not terrible. Just decent. There are some really great moments here and there, but imo a lot of the longer songs overstay their welcome. Musically, there's not enough variety in it to really distinguish the songs from each other or their earlier work. Something I frequently thought throughout listening to the album that "this sounds a bit like Reflection/The Grudge/Vicarious/whatever". There's nothing in here that's particularly unpleasant, but it's just too much of the same thing at times, even by Tool's standards. The songs often blend into each other, and many of the songs just don't really stand out all that much. I can't recall a second of Culling Voices or Invincible.

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of the songs go on for far too long as well. This is one of the prime examples (alongside Black Clouds & Silver Linings) of egregious padding in prog music. A lot of the songs feel stretched out to 10+ minutes rather than organically at that length. There's a lot of great 6-8 minute songs in here. Pneuma would be one of their best songs if it didn't just drag through the instrumental section. There's a lot of great ideas in there, but imo it's cluttered and long so nothing gets to stand out, which is a problem that persists throughout the album.

There is a second, related, problem with this album: it doesn't work as well as an album. There's a sense of flow and somewhat overarching structure of mood in their earlier works that isn't found on Fear Inoculum. Everything sounds too similar and fills a similar function on the album. In an album full of lengthy epics, are any of them really that epic? On their own, the songs will likely stand better than the album does. As it stands, most of the album is a lengthy blur and there is (again) not enough variety to make the album a cohesive, enjoyable, and memorable experience.

I will say, however, that the one stand out throughout this whole album was Danny Carey. I'm not a huge drum guy by any stretch of the imagination, but his fantastic drum and percussion parts are what carries the albums at times. He's on the top of his game, even if the rest of the music sounds like 80min of Typical Tool (TM). MJK is also a fantastic presence on the album and his newer vocal style is welcome if you ask me, even if the lyrics are a little pretentious (even by Tool standards). On that note, I STILL hate most of the song titles for being pretentious even after having context for them.

Finally, I'm just going to say that the transition tracks don't really add anything and they're mostly completely uninteresting. This also includes Chocolate Chip Trip, which definitely exists. They break up the monotony of 10min Tool song after 10min Tool song somewhat, but they don't go far enough in doing so. They also make up half the songs on the album, which is a problem since they're mostly filler.

Currently on my second listen, so we'll see if anything changes in my opinion. So far it's a hard 6/10, maybe a 7/10 if it ages well. It has some great moments, but it's overall too padded and too long to be really great.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #832 on: August 30, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »
After first listen, Pneuma and Culling Voices stood out the most.

I would describe it is as Third Eye, Pushit, D/R/T, The Patient, Intension all in one album. I'm enjoying Danny's use of the Mandala Pad.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: August 30, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
I am not sure that every physical copy will include the download option.

But I just checked Amazon and while not available there another version of the CD with a song that doesn’t appear on the digital and the “other physical copy”

Recusant Ad Infinitum is the the video included in the special edition and is called 'Recusant Ad Infinitum', it's not an audio track per se.!!

For those that want to hear it, I found it online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3gKPVXr6jA

Offline NoFred

« Reply #834 on: August 30, 2019, 07:25:32 PM »
After a day of follow up listens, this is definitely Tool: The Soundtrack. Good stuff but I hope they enjoyed the last decade not making music for us.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #835 on: August 30, 2019, 10:03:50 PM »
I can see how some are disappointed.

It's Tool as they are. Meaning, it's Tool.

I don't know what people were expecting as Tool has their own sound.

I will say though, it's like this album is a suite. Like one album meant to be listened to as a whole, interludes included.

Chocolate Chip Trip is a good example of their humor and yet spiritual aspect. As i have said, it's an Intense version of Merkaba (a live track from their Salival EP (Don't get me started on Spotify saying entire Discography without including that EP)) which I love Danny's Mandala pads.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #836 on: August 30, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »
The only interlude (well outro really) that I could argue for being left off is Mockingbeat. The other 2 interludes work just fine in the flow of the album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #837 on: August 31, 2019, 04:14:29 AM »
I'm only on Invincible but holy crap this album is really great so far. Maybe people expected something insane after the long wait but to me this is living up to what I expect from a Tool album. :)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #838 on: August 31, 2019, 04:16:37 AM »
I'm only on Invincible but holy crap this album is really great so far. Maybe people expected something insane after the long wait but to me this is living up to what I expect from a Tool album. :)
I didn't expect anything (because I didn't know what to expect, they are not DT or any band where I have expectations to be met and so, everything I got is what I see as a "bonus" as it were) , all I can say is it's music.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #839 on: August 31, 2019, 04:25:01 AM »
Haven’t listen to it yet, have a 3 hour drive to Upstate NY later and will play it then. My fiancée said it’s a great album so I’ll see.

Also, gonna have to fight for those tickets next week. I hope to grab a pair of tickets to the Newark show.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk