Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112499 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #630 on: August 07, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »
I've only heard the single off of shitty smartphone speakers so far, as I'm at work, so taking my thoughts with a grain of salt:

It's certainly nothing ground-breaking from what the band has done in the past, and in a way it's interesting how it seems that they just picked up where they left off after 13 years without missing much of a beat. That said, this song feels maybe a little too...directionless? I really enjoy the build up and how it progresses throughout very organically, but it sounds as if it continues to build up to something that never comes. It may work better in context with the rest of the album, so I'm not counting it out just yet. In a way I really do admire the musical restraint shown on this track as well. Clearly they wanted to set a tone and atmosphere with this single and in that regard I do commend it. This album has a hell of a lot to live up to, so I'm keeping my expectations measured, but as of now I'm just waiting to hear more of what they have to offer.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »
Reading all of your thoughts on the new song, I went in with very low expectations......

I have just one question for y'all.....Are you sure we are listening to the same song? This thing is awesome!

First and foremost (at least to me), Danny Carey is still one of the most exciting drummers in the world to listen to. The usage of tablas is very Danny Carey-ish, but they sound great. His approach to fills and the overall structure of the drums within the song are always captivating. I still love that bass tone that Justin has been using the last couple albums, it's thick and meaty. And then Adam Jones has such a different approach to guitar that just about anyone else out there. I also think Maynard sounds great and I've always liked their lyrics. Sure the song doesn't have any real big climax or anything, but I think that is intentional, especially if this is a concept album.

Does it sound like Tool? Absolutely. Is it similar in style to the last couple albums? Sure. Is it worth getting excited over? Hell yes! Is it better than their previous albums? That remains to be seen, but I am now much more optimistic after hearing the title track.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
I think the first half is great, but the second half goes nowhere. Like others have said though, it could work in context with the album better.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2019, 02:51:00 PM »
I mean...that's the way we're headed for all releases, I'm kind of surprised that people are surprised that it's becoming a "limited edition" type of deal. It's been that way for a bit and it's more and more becoming a "support the band even more by buying physical" than an expected physical release. But I get it, for a band that's last release was that long ago and for one that has the amount of foaming-mouth-fans as they do.

Sooner or later it'll be "super limited crystal edition physical copies, 500 total made". I have a hard time saying they'll never make physical copies simply because of human stubbornness and collector's ferocity but after a while it'll be made simply because of fandom and the bands will lose money no matter what. I guess that's another topic all together though.

But why are small-time bands who can barely afford to tour in the first place still producing CDs for the traditional price then? It is weird that a band as ginormous as Tool isn't just selling a basic CD copy. They have enough of a reach that they could still make plenty of money off those.

I checked out the song. *shrug* I don't get Tool.

Well - and I don't think this is a controversial statement at all - there's an element of Tool that has to be off the beaten path on the whole package.   In my Tool collection I have an lenticular cover, I have a fancy slipcase, I have what looks like a backpack or some such...  it doesn't surprise me at all that there is something out of the ordinary on this release.   If I was a bigger fan I might me more jazzed by it (though, frankly, I find this stuff more annoying than anything else.  Marillion and the Flaming Lips are good for this kind of thing too.  I just want the MUSIC.  That's why I'm here.)

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #635 on: August 07, 2019, 02:53:16 PM »
I mean...that's the way we're headed for all releases, I'm kind of surprised that people are surprised that it's becoming a "limited edition" type of deal. It's been that way for a bit and it's more and more becoming a "support the band even more by buying physical" than an expected physical release. But I get it, for a band that's last release was that long ago and for one that has the amount of foaming-mouth-fans as they do.

Sooner or later it'll be "super limited crystal edition physical copies, 500 total made". I have a hard time saying they'll never make physical copies simply because of human stubbornness and collector's ferocity but after a while it'll be made simply because of fandom and the bands will lose money no matter what. I guess that's another topic all together though.

But why are small-time bands who can barely afford to tour in the first place still producing CDs for the traditional price then? It is weird that a band as ginormous as Tool isn't just selling a basic CD copy. They have enough of a reach that they could still make plenty of money off those.

I checked out the song. *shrug* I don't get Tool.

Because small time bands are more likely to have fans who want to directly support the band. Same reason most small bands have bandcamps to buy the digital album even though they're all streaming as well.

I really enjoy this song and excited for the album.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: August 07, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
This thing is awesome!

Agreed. This is, by far, the best thing they've created in over a decade!  :tup :tup

As for the emphasis on digital download vs. physical copy. I'm planning to buy it digitally and burn me a CD.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2019, 03:02:32 PM »
This thing is awesome!

Agreed. This is, by far, the best thing they've created in over a decade!  :tup :tup

:neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
I’m liking it more and more with each listen, probably because I’m home from work now and I got to give it my undivided attention.

I guess the chorus is the ‘exhale, expel...’ part that happens twice(?) or is it not a chorus at all 😂

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: August 07, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
:neverusethis:

:)

First and foremost (at least to me), Danny Carey is still one of the most exciting drummers in the world to listen to. The usage of tablas is very Danny Carey-ish, but they sound great. His approach to fills and the overall structure of the drums within the song are always captivating. I still love that bass tone that Justin has been using the last couple albums, it's thick and meaty. And then Adam Jones has such a different approach to guitar that just about anyone else out there. I also think Maynard sounds great and I've always liked their lyrics.

In all seriousness, I agree with all the above. After three listens the tune is starting to separate itself from the rest of their catalog. I hear subtle differences each time I hear it.  I would also add that I appreciate the lack of angstyness. That was always cool and appropriate for their albums when they were younger, but let's face it they aren't young guys anymore. I welcome a more mature exploration of their style. It comes off as sincere. I said much the same thing about Distance Over Time by DT.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2019, 05:29:31 AM »
I haven't heard the song. But I have read some things about people here wanting strong choruses, melody and clean vocals on the album. When has Tool ever been about those things  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2019, 06:45:33 AM »
Shame there won't be a vinyl release of the album, i would have bought that in a heartbeat!

Liking the song more and more as time goes on. Justin's bass riff is firmly stuck in my head! :metal He is such an underrated bassist.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #642 on: August 08, 2019, 07:07:30 AM »
I haven't heard the song. But I have read some things about people here wanting strong choruses, melody and clean vocals on the album. When has Tool ever been about those things  :lol

Pardon my ignorance, but... hasn't Tool always had clean vocals? I've heard two albums and I don't recall hearing the Cookie Monster on them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2019, 08:39:29 AM »
Nothing really out of the ordinary here, not sure why I would expect anything different.

Sounds like Tool.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #644 on: August 08, 2019, 08:52:07 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but... hasn't Tool always had clean vocals? I've heard two albums and I don't recall hearing the Cookie Monster on them.

Opiate and Undertow have Maynard screaming but not growls.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:30 AM »
10 years, and that's what they come up with? Crikey. 10 minutes of rambling nothingness for me.

(I've never been a huge Tool fan, admittedly. I imagine their fan-base will lap it up. Which is great.)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Pettor

« Reply #646 on: August 08, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
Damit. I was gonna be all cool and go for the "it's ok but nothing more" from my first listen but that song grows like crazy! I am more or less spinning the track now and can't get enough! So much instrumental blizz and Maynard has a voice to kill for. Damit Tool! I am excited now  ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #647 on: August 08, 2019, 02:33:33 PM »
Just clicked play on the new track.  So far, so good!

My question is, is the cheapest version of the CD $45?  Link: https://www.amazon.com/You-Gonna-Love-Not-Tellin/dp/B07VGTYTBF/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2SX9RGUIV7H0O&keywords=tool+fear+inoculum&qid=1565179684&s=music&sprefix=tool+fear+in%2Cdigital-music%2C128&sr=1-2&tag=smarturl-pivot-20

Apparently, sometime last night, the price for FI went down to $37.67 on Amazon, so I ordered it super quick before it went back up. Ended up at $39.93 after taxes, which saves me at least 6 bucks!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #648 on: August 08, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »
Yep, absolutely loving this. Initial reaction was that it was more of the same but still cool as they are unique and it’s so long since they released anything. The more you listen to it though, there’s just so much incredible music in this 10 min song. Gorgeous vocal from MJK, huge guitar sound as always and that rhythm section is just out of this world.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #649 on: August 08, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
Just clicked play on the new track.  So far, so good!

My question is, is the cheapest version of the CD $45?  Link: https://www.amazon.com/You-Gonna-Love-Not-Tellin/dp/B07VGTYTBF/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2SX9RGUIV7H0O&keywords=tool+fear+inoculum&qid=1565179684&s=music&sprefix=tool+fear+in%2Cdigital-music%2C128&sr=1-2&tag=smarturl-pivot-20

Apparently, sometime last night, the price for FI went down to $37.67 on Amazon, so I ordered it super quick before it went back up. Ended up at $39.93 after taxes, which saves me at least 6 bucks!

-Marc.

Still listed as £79.99 in the U.K.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #650 on: August 08, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »
Physical seems to already be sold out. Amazon doesn't have it and neither does Bull Moose. That went quick.

Guess I hope for an HD Tracks version.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #651 on: August 08, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
Is it seriously that much and selling out? I'll just go to the record store, and if it sells out there I will wait for the hype to die down- I've already waited this long :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: August 08, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
Damit. I was gonna be all cool and go for the "it's ok but nothing more" from my first listen but that song grows like crazy! I am more or less spinning the track now and can't get enough! So much instrumental blizz and Maynard has a voice to kill for. Damit Tool! I am excited now  ;D

My first listen was sort of "welp this is definitely Tool" but the more you listen to it the more it pays off.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: August 08, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »

My first listen was sort of "welp this is definitely Tool" but the more you listen to it the more it pays off.
This is very true.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #654 on: August 08, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »
Is it seriously that much and selling out? I'll just go to the record store, and if it sells out there I will wait for the hype to die down- I've already waited this long :lol

Sure looks that way. I went to Wal-Mart, Amoeba and a few others. All say out of stock or unavailable. Barnes and Noble and Target both had it available (maybe, who knows). B&N was $40 with free shipping. Target was $45. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger at B&N. Really shouldn't have as I am in a financial bind right now, but, oh well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #655 on: August 08, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
Apparently the physical copy comes with some kind of HD screen or something? Is that why it's so expensive?

I just want a jewelcase with the CD in it.  :sad:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: August 09, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »
Apparently the physical copy comes with some kind of HD screen or something? Is that why it's so expensive?

I just want a jewelcase with the CD in it.  :sad:

Correct

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: August 09, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
What does the screen even look like? I've read the descriptions of the package but I still have no clue what the 'screen' thing even means. I'm picturing one of those triangle devices they used for Sabre in season 8 or 9 of The Office  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #658 on: August 09, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
What does the screen even look like? I've read the descriptions of the package but I still have no clue what the 'screen' thing even means. I'm picturing one of those triangle devices they used for Sabre in season 8 or 9 of The Office  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: August 09, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
Yes, exactly!!  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #660 on: August 09, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »

Sure looks that way. I went to Wal-Mart, Amoeba and a few others. All say out of stock or unavailable. Barnes and Noble and Target both had it available (maybe, who knows). B&N was $40 with free shipping. Target was $45. I just went ahead and pulled the trigger at B&N. Really shouldn't have as I am in a financial bind right now, but, oh well.

Hopefully Target still has it. I have a gift card there.

Edit: Hooray for Target gift cards.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:51:01 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #661 on: August 09, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »

Today's gonna be a good day! With Dunder Mifflin and Sah-Bray!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2019, 12:55:44 AM »

Today's gonna be a good day! With Dunder Mifflin and Sah-Bray!
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #663 on: August 10, 2019, 07:03:22 AM »

The description says it's a 4" screen.   So for me, I'm imagining a fold out style CD case with a little 4" square screen in the front of it and a mini usb charging port on one of the sides....maybe the bottom. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #664 on: August 10, 2019, 07:20:50 AM »

The description says it's a 4" screen.   So for me, I'm imagining a fold out style CD case with a little 4" square screen in the front of it and a mini usb charging port on one of the sides....maybe the bottom.

I suspect a square screen, showing the "moving" version of the cover artwork form the 7 Aug announcement.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol