Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 111823 times)

Offline emtee

Re: TOOL : Fear Inoculum : Official Thread.
« Reply #1190 on: October 30, 2020, 07:31:38 AM »
Listened again today. Really nice instrumental. Kind of pulls you in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: October 30, 2020, 07:38:44 AM »
I saw a guitar cover of it on YouTube. It literally is only one riff for 7 minutes.

Typical tool :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: May 23, 2021, 06:35:19 PM »
I follow a guitar player on YouTube who does TOOL covers. And it really is comical just how uncreative and repetitive Adam Jones is. He literally uses the same 5 ideas in every single song.

;D ;D

Like he'll do a TOOL song from ニnema - and the exact riff from the intro to Pneuma is there.

I think he's just an SFX guy who plays a bit of guitar on the side who ended up in a band with musicians who run circles around him.

Does he think people won't notice he plays the same thing again and again and again - or does he not care ? It's very strange.

Also I get that his role is more textural in TOOL - but play in a different key once in a while for goodness sake.

Every single song ( bar a handful at most ) are Drop D and the exact same

0 3 5
0 3 5

progression. Very very occasionally he'll come up with something interesting like the entire intro to Invincible.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1193 on: May 23, 2021, 08:20:48 PM »
It's like he views playing guitar as another form of art.  :biggrin:

Tool is a rhythm based band where the roles of the instruments are reversed and non-traditional. The drums are the lead, playing polyrhythms, odd time signatures, and odd meters. The bass also plays a bit of a lead role, while keeping that groove and the timing on point.  The guitar is more of that sonic soundscape and atmosphere and has more of a Special Effects role.  the vocals are more of a backbone, and help keep a melody that plays along with the drums.

The one song where this is heard is Intention. It's basically one giant drum solo, with nice atmosphere in the guitar, while the bass keeps that rhythmic harmony. I like how this song has this electronic vibe, and goes well with the lyrics, hinting at how we humans are like apes, almost like the ones in 2001: A Space Odyssey, with the discovery of Technology.

I don't mind that at all, because he has created some amazing soundscapes with the guitar. I hear it more in 10,000 days. And I quite enjoy what he has done and created in terms of sound and atmosphere.

At times, I think he does those 0-3-5 riffs, just to keep time for Danny and Justin to do some lead parts and jam away.  :biggrin:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: May 23, 2021, 09:02:08 PM »
I follow a guitar player on YouTube who does TOOL covers. And it really is comical just how uncreative and repetitive Adam Jones is. He literally uses the same 5 ideas in every single song.

;D ;D

Like he'll do a TOOL song from ニnema - and the exact riff from the intro to Pneuma is there.

I think he's just an SFX guy who plays a bit of guitar on the side who ended up in a band with musicians who run circles around him.

Does he think people won't notice he plays the same thing again and again and again - or does he not care ? It's very strange.

Also I get that his role is more textural in TOOL - but play in a different key once in a while for goodness sake.

Every single song ( bar a handful at most ) are Drop D and the exact same

0 3 5
0 3 5

progression. Very very occasionally he'll come up with something interesting like the entire intro to Invincible.

Yet they are one of the most popular and well respected metal bands of the last 25 years.  Go figure. 

Their songs are amazing, it doesn't matter how simple they are in technicality.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1195 on: May 23, 2021, 10:30:36 PM »
Does he think people won't notice he plays the same thing again and again and again - or does he not care ?

Why not both?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1196 on: May 24, 2021, 01:01:02 AM »
Does he think people won't notice he plays the same thing again and again and again - or does he not care ?

Why not both?
Indeed!

I know I don't care. Their music is amazing and they are a top 5 band of all time for me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: May 24, 2021, 06:14:23 AM »
Kotow are you referring to this guy who does covers? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3K1SUa91ck

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: May 24, 2021, 12:19:09 PM »
No Reap his name is Max Niessl and he gets the playing and tone Spot On. He's really forensic about it as well.

He only uploads like once a month but it's always good production value.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: May 24, 2021, 12:21:31 PM »

Why not both?
Indeed!

I know I don't care. Their music is amazing and they are a top 5 band of all time for me.

It doesn't ruin the music - Heck I love Green Day and they've made a career out of G D A - but it is funny to see the same 5 riffs in every song. :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1200 on: May 24, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
It doesn't ruin the music - Heck I love Green Day and they've made a career out of G D A - but it is funny to see the same 5 riffs in every song. :)

Yeah, that's my stance on it as well. My friend and I have joked about it since 10,000 days. 0 3 5 on the low D string then 3 5 on the A string is known as the "Tool progression" between us. :biggrin:

While it's easy to call Adam Jones lazy for it (and there's some guitar lines on Fear Innoculum that feel particularly lazy to me), another part of me is impressed at how much a single artist can get out of just a few notes. I noticed that recently with Godspeed You! Black Emperor as well- I think every single song from their first two releases uses the same key/scale for all the melodic lines, yet it doesn't get old.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: May 24, 2021, 02:47:14 PM »
And the long intro to invincible proves he can do other stuff if he tries. After 13 years it shouldn't have been that formulaic.

When I first heard Vicarious I was like Oh it's just Stinkfist again & Fear Inoculum (song) was like - hmm. this sounds like x y and z TOOL song...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1202 on: May 24, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »
When I first heard Vicarious I was like Oh it's just Stinkfist again

Hey, Stinkfist is one of the few Tool songs that isn't in D!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1203 on: May 24, 2021, 03:40:42 PM »
It's like he views playing guitar as another form of art.  :biggrin:

Tool is a rhythm based band where the roles of the instruments are reversed and non-traditional. The drums are the lead, playing polyrhythms, odd time signatures, and odd meters. The bass also plays a bit of a lead role, while keeping that groove and the timing on point.  The guitar is more of that sonic soundscape and atmosphere and has more of a Special Effects role.  the vocals are more of a backbone, and help keep a melody that plays along with the drums.

The one song where this is heard is Intention. It's basically one giant drum solo, with nice atmosphere in the guitar, while the bass keeps that rhythmic harmony. I like how this song has this electronic vibe, and goes well with the lyrics, hinting at how we humans are like apes, almost like the ones in 2001: A Space Odyssey, with the discovery of Technology.

I don't mind that at all, because he has created some amazing soundscapes with the guitar. I hear it more in 10,000 days. And I quite enjoy what he has done and created in terms of sound and atmosphere.

At times, I think he does those 0-3-5 riffs, just to keep time for Danny and Justin to do some lead parts and jam away.  :biggrin:

You have described what gives a total uniqueness to Tool.

Put a "normal guitar player" there and the band will look more like ... well, all the rest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: May 24, 2021, 04:08:54 PM »
When I first heard Vicarious I was like Oh it's just Stinkfist again

Hey, Stinkfist is one of the few Tool songs that isn't in D!

It's in E but it's still tuned to D  ;D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: May 27, 2021, 02:53:09 AM »

I just saw this pic of Tom Morello and Adam Jones as teens. I didn't know they knew each other way back when.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: May 27, 2021, 03:33:41 AM »
Well Adam Jones has been ripping off the Killing In The Name of riff ever since ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1207 on: May 27, 2021, 04:43:42 AM »
Never thought I'd see Adam Jones smiling  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1208 on: May 27, 2021, 06:05:09 AM »

I just saw this pic of Tom Morello and Adam Jones as teens. I didn't know they knew each other way back when.

Back when Fear Inoculum was being promoted prior to release, Adam Jones did his first podcast guest appearance with Chris Jericho and the two talk about that and Jericho plugs in Mike Portnoy in the interview at some point as well. It's a great podcast.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1209 on: May 27, 2021, 06:25:45 AM »
Yeah if I知 not mistaken Jones and Morello moved from Chicago to LA together where they started their bands.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1210 on: May 27, 2021, 07:14:17 AM »

I'm pretty sure I had that Kiss poster.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1211 on: May 27, 2021, 08:13:29 AM »
Yeah if I知 not mistaken Jones and Morello moved from Chicago to LA together where they started their bands.

That's about right. They were both raised in Libertyville and attended the same high school. Tom's Mom was Adam's homeroom teacher.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1212 on: May 27, 2021, 08:40:34 AM »

That's about right. They were both raised in Libertyville and attended the same high school. Tom's Mom was Adam's homeroom teacher.

Yup. Are you from Chicago yourself?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tool News - November 12th ?
« Reply #1213 on: June 28, 2021, 05:26:54 AM »
In all honesty it could be ANYTHING.

Maynard announcing a new wine flavour / Tool START the next album ?  :facepalm:

The next album blatantly wont be out til 2011.

Aenima 96 - Lateralus 01 - 10,000 Days 06

I was only EIGHT years out!!! I posted this 10 years before the album actually arrived  :rollin

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1214 on: June 28, 2021, 08:56:29 AM »

Sorry, just saw this now. Missed this a month ago somehow.

Chicago-area native born and bred. Been here all my life.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1215 on: June 28, 2021, 08:58:12 AM »

Why is this so accurate for this thread?  :lol

In all honesty it could be ANYTHING.

Maynard announcing a new wine flavour / Tool START the next album ?  :facepalm:

The next album blatantly wont be out til 2011.

Aenima 96 - Lateralus 01 - 10,000 Days 06

I was only EIGHT years out!!! I posted this 10 years before the album actually arrived  :rollin

So what's your take on the release of Tool #6?  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1216 on: June 28, 2021, 09:04:28 AM »

Why is this so accurate for this thread?  :lol

Well played!  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: June 28, 2021, 09:16:13 AM »

If you mean Fear Inoculum I rate it lower than 10,000 Days and Lateralus but higher than Undertow, opiate and ニnima.

But as for the 13 year gap. It's ridiculous and part of me thinks they did it deliberately.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1218 on: June 28, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »

Same here man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1219 on: June 28, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »

If you mean Fear Inoculum I rate it lower than 10,000 Days and Lateralus but higher than Undertow, opiate and ニnima.

But as for the 13 year gap. It's ridiculous and part of me thinks they did it deliberately.

I actually think there is a lot more about those Lawsuits then we know. I could the lawsuits as a reason for why they couldn't make an album. At least they had other hobbies and projects to occupy them in the meantime.

Maynard chose to do all these projects on the side and start his own, Puscifer.

Danny plays local shows, and I mostly see him posting stuff about playing at the baked potato.

I do not know what Justin does.

And Adam has his Special Effects work to do, which I feel is his main priority and concern, due to how his guitar work is in Fear Inoculum.

These legal situations are known inspirations for the song lyrics of "Ticks and Leeches" and "The Pot". One deals with those involved in why there is a lawsuit, and the other is about the kangaroo courts and how they're basically calling the kettle black. Both of these relate to what the band has gone through with these lawsuits.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1220 on: June 28, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
There was also a story circulating for awhile that the music was nearly finished years ago, and then there was a some sort of computer crash and all the files were destroyed resulting in them having to start over again from scratch.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1221 on: June 28, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
There was also a story circulating for awhile that the music was nearly finished years ago, and then there was a some sort of computer crash and all the files were destroyed resulting in them having to start over again from scratch.

I remember hearing about that. I could see that happening and Tool just had to be fortunate to be the chosen ones.  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: June 28, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »
From what I heard later on - it was actually a tiny fire and nothing serious. But being TOOL they probably over exaggerated it as a reason the album was delayed.

I mean - they only had the one copy and NO backups ?!

Whatever.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1223 on: June 28, 2021, 08:27:45 PM »
From what I heard later on - it was actually a tiny fire and nothing serious. But being TOOL they probably over exaggerated it as a reason the album was delayed.

I mean - they only had the one copy and NO backups ?!

Whatever.

I'm with you there. My digital music collection is double backed up. I have my main storage hard drive in my PC, then a powered 5.25in USB backup drive and a 2.5in USB drive. With over 30,000 songs, you can't be too careful. No excuse for not having at least one backup in this day and age. I can suffer 2 failures and still be okay.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: June 29, 2021, 04:28:09 AM »
If i remember rightly - Danny had a candle on his floor tom and he forgot about it. And the floor tom skin melted. End of.

But of course it became " our entire studio burned to the ground and the one computer which had our new album on was totalled so we had to start all over again ! "