Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112676 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: TOOL : Fear Inoculum : Official Thread.
« Reply #1120 on: August 30, 2020, 09:59:17 AM »
I still rate it highly. Lateralus might still be #1 (though a lot of that is nostalgia) but I think Fear Inoculum is a very solid #2.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: August 30, 2020, 10:09:35 AM »
I still really like it. Granted, I haven't heard much of their other albums to make a ranking of my own. Pneuma is the standout track for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Bentower

« Reply #1122 on: August 30, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »
As I see it, Pneuma is pretty much a culmination of their career up to this point and one of the gems of the discography, but I don't feel the album as a whole measures up to their best work. The songs tend to meander on and Maynard seemed overwhelmed in trying to provide vocals for a large portion of the music.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1123 on: August 30, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
I still rate it highly. Lateralus might still be #1 (though a lot of that is nostalgia) but I think Fear Inoculum is a very solid #2.

Exactly where I am as well. I never thought Lateralus would be dethroned, but Fear has me doubting myself. It's that good.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #1124 on: August 30, 2020, 11:11:47 AM »
As I see it, Pneuma is pretty much a culmination of their career up to this point and one of the gems of the discography, but I don't feel the album as a whole measures up to their best work. The songs tend to meander on and Maynard seemed overwhelmed in trying to provide vocals for a large portion of the music.
I agree. Meandering songs, Maynard is uninspired and Adam is simply not a good enough guitarist to carry all the instrumental parts. And overall, the playing on the album is not up to their past glory. Still a fine album, but I only listen to Pneuma and Descending (althought the last minutes are weak) at this point.

Ranking would be:
1. Lateralus
2. Aenima (Third Eye is still better than anything on Fear Inoculum)
3. 10 000 days/Fear Inoculum
4. Undertow

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1125 on: August 30, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Pneuma is the standout track. Culling Voices is my favorite. The rest I could give or take. I don't know, it might be the length of the songs, but i find myself unable to listen to the album as a whole. It meanders and I lose track of what they were playing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: August 30, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Culling Voices is my fave too.

My least fave is 7empest as it's just a jam and as someone said - Adam isn't good enough to play anything interesting over 5 minutes of backing track.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:56 PM »
Culling Voices is probably my least favorite out of the long ones but it's still pretty decent. I get why people love Pneuma so much, I think it's great, but I think for me the highlights are Invincible and 7empest. I know some people feel like it's a bloated album but let's not pretend like Lateralus/Aenima/10K Days did not have their fair share of filler as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: August 30, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
Aenima has the most filler by a long way. At least the segues on Lateralus actually setup the next song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: August 30, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »
Yeah I think the Lateralus 'interludes' are the least offensive but like the Aenima and Fear Inoculum interludes (those are only on the deluxe edition thankfully) are almost laughably bad. Like an interlude track is usually the easiest thing to make because you can get away with just something ambient but then I think about something like 'die eier von satan' from Aenima and for me that short track on its own is enough to knock half a point off the overall score.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1130 on: August 30, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
With 10,000 Days, I don't consider Lipan Conjuring filler at all. To me, it serves a purpose. It's the backstory to why the guy in Lost Keys is in the hospital tripping balls and could be why it's subtitled "Blame Hoffman". The person took LSD and it led them to a journey to find spiritual enlightenment, just taking LSD wasn't enough. They then discovered a way to "achieve" it by visiting a native American shaman from the Lipan tribe. Whatever happened was too much for them, hence the loud scream at the end of Lipan Conjuring, and it caused them to get taken to a hospital.  As he lays there, he relays to the doctor everything he experienced while being under and it's coming across as 3 different languages (the many different vocal effects in Maynard's vocals), like how the Rosetta Stone is, Rosetta Stoned is trying to decipher your experience while under the effect of psychedelics, it comes out as something a person needs to decipher to understand what the hell your trying to talk about.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1131 on: August 30, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »
Yeah I think the Lateralus 'interludes' are the least offensive but like the Aenima and Fear Inoculum interludes (those are only on the deluxe edition thankfully) are almost laughably bad. Like an interlude track is usually the easiest thing to make because you can get away with just something ambient but then I think about something like 'die eier von satan' from Aenima and for me that short track on its own is enough to knock half a point off the overall score.

I love that musical satire track. It's meant to be all Nazi Style as if Hitler himself was talking to massive crowd of people. When in reality, it's just a guy reciting a recipe.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1132 on: August 30, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
Still amazes me how one person's "meandering" is another's bliss. Music is so unique in this regard. I would not change any second of this album--it's almost a spiritual experience--except for Chocolate Chip Trip.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: August 30, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »
Mocking beat is clearly a joke though.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1134 on: August 30, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
Still amazes me how one person's "meandering" is another's bliss. Music is so unique in this regard. I would not change any second of this album--it's almost a spiritual experience--except for Chocolate Chip Trip.

Chocolate Chip Trip has to be Merkaba. They sound too similar.

I prefer Merkaba though, especially that ending. Although, Chocolate Chip Trip would be neat to see live.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1135 on: August 31, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »
Chocolate Chip Trip is fun but also kinda weird. To me Tool always seemed like this serious and dour band who take themselves very seriously and Chocolate Chip Trip is like a fun quirky prog instrumental that feels more in line with something a band like DT - who goof around a bit more - would do.

I don't necessarily love it but it's a fun little track IMO.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1136 on: August 31, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »
Just because I really like the Lost in Vegas guys. Their Tool - Pneuma video is one of the best reactions videos I've seen since they are getting it quickly and are 100% mind blown. Honestly they got that song much quicker than I ever did.

Anyway they revisit the song checking out the live video Tool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRMmd62S84M

That live video is still the most insane drumming I ever seen. Can't think of anything else like it even after going through multiple progressive metal / rock live videos (ofc all Dream Theater ones).

I've watched a few of their reaction videos but hardly a big fan. This was cool though, and certainly made me have more of an appreciation for the Tool drummer, and what he can do. I had a search through after, looking to see if they'd done a Leprous reaction video, as I think they would be blown away by what Baard could do behind a kit. Doesn't look like they have, so I'm going to comment suggesting that for sure.

For anyone who has never seen Baard Kolstad drum, do yourself a favour and check out one of his videos, he is unbelievable. Try The Sky is Red drum video, just phoenomonal!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=taMqbmV7O7w check it!

I did go down a bit of a YouTube rabbit hole watching his videos after.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: September 10, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
Theres this one guy on YouTube who does really good pro shot/audio covers of TOOL songs on guitar and every time he does a new video

it's like " ah it's literally the same 5 riffs again "  :D

You don't notice when you're just listening to the CDs - but seeing someone else play their songs just shows just how limited Adam is.

To say the rest of the band carry him is an understatement.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1138 on: September 10, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
Maybe that’s why it takes them so long to make albums

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1139 on: September 10, 2020, 07:37:51 AM »
Theres this one guy on YouTube who does really good pro shot/audio covers of TOOL songs on guitar and every time he does a new video

You don't notice when you're just listening to the CDs - but seeing someone else play their songs just shows just how limited Adam is.

The guitars are not the focal point of Tool. They're a rhythm based band which the drums and bass are the focal points, and the timing and polyrhythms.

Adam is more interested in the Artwork aspect. He makes the creatures in all their videos, and it's like all he is doing is adding texture to the music like chiseling the finer points of a sculpture, and smoothing it out.

In a way they're like Mudvayne, another band that's a rhythm based band.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1140 on: September 10, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
I think Tool has a bunch of great guitar riffs so I don't really get the Adam hate personally. As for how their songs are constructed I think the repetition and slowly building and the rhythm section has always been the main focus and for me the lack of flashy guitar playing isn't Adam being a bad guitar player but it's just their music is designed to be that way. I think he does get to shine in 7empest though which is still one of the highlights on the album for me, maybe even my favorite song from it. But i think overall what makes Tool great is just how the 3 main players work together and giving each other room to shine when needed but also fill that support role.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1141 on: September 10, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »

I love that musical satire track. It's meant to be all Nazi Style as if Hitler himself was talking to massive crowd of people. When in reality, it's just a guy reciting a recipe.

Exactly. Tool only started to make sense to me after understanding that some prerequisites are mandatory. One is to understand and have fun with debauchery.

The guitars are not the focal point of Tool. They're a rhythm based band which the drums and bass are the focal points, and the timing and polyrhythms.

Adam is more interested in the Artwork aspect. He makes the creatures in all their videos, and it's like all he is doing is adding texture to the music like chiseling the finer points of a sculpture, and smoothing it out.

In a way they're like Mudvayne, another band that's a rhythm based band.

Yes, another one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: September 10, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
I honestly don't get the hype for SevenEmpest. Maybe its cause I did a degree in guitar that I just notice all the flubs etc in the playing and the bad bends and what have you.

The 5 minute solo in SevenEmpest just sounds like when you're learning guitar and you learn a few licks and you jam with your friends and use up every trick you know on the guitar

and are just noodling around them over and over.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1143 on: September 10, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
7empest is one of my least favorites on the new album too. I don't know if I could describe the guitar work in the middle as bad, but it definitely didn't warrant taking up a third of the entire song.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1144 on: September 10, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Since it's cloudy here and below 60°, I'm gonna try and listen to this album in full.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: September 11, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »
I prefer the CD order without the segues.

Even if you get rid of the Drum Solo - it's just a 6 song album.

6 songs in 13 years is half a song a year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: September 13, 2020, 05:26:23 AM »
I honestly don't get the hype for SevenEmpest. Maybe its cause I did a degree in guitar that I just notice all the flubs etc in the playing and the bad bends and what have you.

The 5 minute solo in SevenEmpest just sounds like when you're learning guitar and you learn a few licks and you jam with your friends and use up every trick you know on the guitar

and are just noodling around them over and over.

I've played guitar for 20 years and it all sounds pretty fine to me.  I don't hear anything off, it's just Adams style.  I like the expression of everything he's doing.  I've been wanting him to do something like this for a while.  While he's not a technically great guitarist, he has a distinct sound and that sometimes is better and more beneficial to a band then being tecnically proficient.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: September 13, 2020, 05:43:24 AM »
I dunno in Descending and 7empest there's definitely a couple of iffy notes.

There's that one glissando in 7empest I think it is - not sure which and he clearly slides to the wrong note because it's completely off - and he just hangs on it like ' yeah I meant to do that '.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: September 13, 2020, 05:47:55 AM »

There's that one glissando in 7empest I think it is - not sure which and he clearly slides to the wrong note because it's completely off - and he just hangs on it like ' yeah I meant to do that '.

I'll have to listen more closely.  You're probably right,  I'm probably letting some of it slide because I'm not expecting much from Adam in the first place, but I don't recall anything that makes me cringe.  Again, I really enjoy Adam on this record so I could be bias.  I'd have to pick up the guitar and noodle along to see what he's up to. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: September 13, 2020, 07:03:10 AM »
I don't know, K-Boy. Tool's been around for thirty years now, and not once has Adam claimed nor have I ever heard anyone say that he's a great guitarist. It seems, at this point, that tuning in to Tool for guitar clinic is akin to insanity's definition. I can't imagine why anyone would listen, repeatedly, to something they don't enjoy or admire...and then find a place online to spend their time complaining about it. You're welcome to continue, of course, but I think you might be a more cheerful guy if you stuck with music you admire.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: September 13, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »
I do like TOOL and since F.I. came out - i've seen plenty of "Adam Jones is AMAZING" posts both from people online and website articles.

If 5 minute guitar solos that stick rigidly to D minor pentatonic are AMAZING - maybe i''ll do more of them  ;D ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1151 on: September 13, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »
How has it aged for everyone in one year?

Still haven't heard it fully :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: September 13, 2020, 08:24:33 AM »
How has it aged for everyone in one year?

Still haven't heard it fully :corn

Still prefer it to Ænima and undertow. The production is great. Every instrument really shines.

Pneuma is a great track. I wish it was a little less Tool By Numbers. Which is why I love Culling Voices.

If we’re counting just the six actual SONGS then 7empest is at the bottom of my ranking.

Really good album overall. But it shouldn’t have been 13 years. Especially with as much

recycling going on as there is.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1153 on: September 13, 2020, 08:35:44 AM »

Given that they spent several years to complete the record I find it hard to believe that they couldn't fix a wrong note, so maybe he really meant to do that?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: September 13, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
I do like TOOL and since F.I. came out - i've seen plenty of "Adam Jones is AMAZING" posts both from people online and website articles.

If 5 minute guitar solos that stick rigidly to D minor pentatonic are AMAZING - maybe i''ll do more of them  ;D ;D

I think you may be missing the point at why people like Adam's work on this album.