Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 111860 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #1050 on: March 02, 2020, 09:22:26 AM »
Does anyone else get annoyed that they recycled the opening riff of Jambi around the 8 minute mark of Invincible? Minor thing, but still.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pretty big Tool fan, and this might be a sacrilege but they are basically the Ac/Dc of the prog/metal world. ALOT of their stuff sounds the same. They do what they do well, but they have a very very specific formula they rarely stray too far from.
I have no words...

He's got a point. Obviously not all of their songs sound completely the same but basically all of their songs are in the same key and many of their riffs are just a differently-ordered sequence of these powerchords: D F G C D (see: the "holy fucking shit" riff at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned)

People were saying that about Pneuma sounding like Schism. It makes even more funnier (to me) they're playing both back to back.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1051 on: March 02, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »
Pneuma sounds much more like The Patient to me. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1052 on: March 02, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
Does anyone else get annoyed that they recycled the opening riff of Jambi around the 8 minute mark of Invincible? Minor thing, but still.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pretty big Tool fan, and this might be a sacrilege but they are basically the Ac/Dc of the prog/metal world. ALOT of their stuff sounds the same. They do what they do well, but they have a very very specific formula they rarely stray too far from.
I have no words...

He's got a point. Obviously not all of their songs sound completely the same but basically all of their songs are in the same key and many of their riffs are just a differently-ordered sequence of these powerchords: D F G C D (see: the "holy fucking shit" riff at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned)

Exactly. And I don’t mean that as a knock on Tool. It is what it is.

When people who haven’t heard of Dream Theater ask me what song they should listen to, I have a difficult time because their music is fairly diverse. With Tool you could probably give someone 1 or 2 songs and they’re gonna have a pretty good idea of what that band is all about.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1053 on: March 02, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »

I have no words...

With Tool you could probably give someone 1 or 2 songs and they’re gonna have a pretty good idea of what that band is all about.
Die Eier Von Satan and Viginti Tres  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1054 on: March 02, 2020, 07:25:19 PM »

I have no words...

With Tool you could probably give someone 1 or 2 songs and they’re gonna have a pretty good idea of what that band is all about.
Die Eier Von Satan and Viginti Tres  :biggrin:

Faaip De Oiad
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1055 on: March 02, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »

I have no words...

Exactly. And I don’t mean that as a knock on Tool. It is what it is.

When people who haven’t heard of Dream Theater ask me what song they should listen to, I have a difficult time because their music is fairly diverse. With Tool you could probably give someone 1 or 2 songs and they’re gonna have a pretty good idea of what that band is all about.

I disagree. I mean, DT has done some occasional “diverse” things I suppose....but the entire reason I don’t often listen to DT any more is BECAUSE all their stuff is extremely similar. Take away all the bitching that people do about the sonic quality, and take it down to just songwriting and structure, and nearly all their albums are just better or “not as good” versions of the exact same ideas. And when they did recently try to break rank and try to something that was honestly different (TA) the reaction was so polarized that they resorted to going back to the formula. Not even saying that’s a bad thing. D/T is their best album in years...but it’s not breaking any new ground. It’s an extremely excellent example of “DT by the numbers” which is why people like it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1056 on: March 03, 2020, 10:57:57 AM »
Would it piss anyone off terribly if I corrected the thread title?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: March 03, 2020, 11:47:42 AM »

I'd actually prefer it. Please do
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: March 03, 2020, 03:25:08 PM »

Please, it has been annoying me just quietly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1059 on: March 03, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »

Yes, me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1060 on: March 04, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »

You can change it, but only if it becomes "TOOL : Finally Released A New Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!"

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1061 on: March 04, 2020, 11:21:52 AM »

You can change it, but only if it becomes "TOOL : Finally Released A New Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!"

-Marc.
Ha
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: TOOL : Finally A New Album. But Does Anyone Give A Crap?!
« Reply #1062 on: March 04, 2020, 11:23:01 AM »
How's that?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1063 on: March 04, 2020, 11:53:36 AM »
Haha, that's perfect.

I'm guilty of not listening to the album as much, only listened to it all the way twice. Don't know why, Maybe i'm still bitter my code from the cd won't work because My connection messed up while downloading it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1064 on: March 04, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »
How's that?

:tup  :lol

In the words of Michael Fassbender's Magneto - "Perfection."

I'm guilty of not listening to the album as much, only listened to it all the way twice. Don't know why, Maybe i'm still bitter my code from the cd won't work because My connection messed up while downloading it.

I'll be honest, too. I've probably only listened to the album a handful of times shortly after release. I don't think I've listened to ONE song since October or so. Then again, Flying Colors and The Flower Kings released new albums after Tool did, so they occupied a lot of my late-fall/early-winter listening last year.

I'm sure I'll revisit FI at some point and maybe I'll like it more! I just haven't been in a Tool-mood in recent months.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1065 on: March 04, 2020, 07:10:55 PM »
I will say the mix is splendid. I enjoyed the listen, its a lot to digest though with the length of the songs. I just got the intermission tracks on Itunes and they are actually nice breathers bewtween the songs, making it easier to listen to oddly enough.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1066 on: March 12, 2020, 01:02:16 PM »
Danny Carey | "Pneuma" by Tool (LIVE IN CONCERT)

This is a nice nugget to watch!  :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: March 12, 2020, 01:31:27 PM »
^ Goddamn! :2metal:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: March 12, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
Awesome! Also my favourite track off the album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1069 on: March 12, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »

That was awesome! I never realized before, but the part starting at about 6:30 seems heavily inspired by some of Neil Peart's drum solos. Either way, Danny Carey is a beast. Time for me to finally sit down and learn this song on my drums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1070 on: March 12, 2020, 01:52:46 PM »
That was great. Pretty nice to hear a good quality live version as well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1071 on: March 24, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
Just watched that Danny vid. Holy crap is right! The posture and poise. The man doesn't waste a bit of motion. It's almost like watching Steve Morse play guitar. He doesn't look at his instrument at all, he just instinctively knows what to do and could do it blind.

Man, they need a live release. A modern one, that is.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1072 on: March 25, 2020, 04:29:01 AM »
Just watched that Danny vid. Holy crap is right! The posture and poise. The man doesn't waste a bit of motion. It's almost like watching Steve Morse play guitar. He doesn't look at his instrument at all, he just instinctively knows what to do and could do it blind.

100%. This video has shown how awesome it can be! This band has just a huge sound on stage and I would love to hear (and see) it over and over again at home. Do you guys think they'll ever release a live DVD? I remember MJK saying something like, we will never release a live DVD, just come to our fucking shows. But they ARE on streaming platforms now too- that's something no one expected as well.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: March 25, 2020, 06:19:42 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath but I would love for it to happen. Shit I'd pay money for a Danny Carey drum cam video.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1074 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:14 AM »

100%. This video has shown how awesome it can be! This band has just a huge sound on stage and I would love to hear (and see) it over and over again at home. Do you guys think they'll ever release a live DVD? I remember MJK saying something like, we will never release a live DVD, just come to our fucking shows. But they ARE on streaming platforms now too- that's something no one expected as well.
Had there ever been a live release by them though? I actually don't know.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: March 25, 2020, 08:09:13 AM »
Salival was sort of a live release, had 5 live songs on it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1076 on: March 25, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »
As far as I know it's only audio though. I want a huge live package with a full concerts on Blu-Ray and LPs in an awesome box  :metal

Also, the other day I had a though: I hope that someday the band will release a boxset with all their albums on all formats. In a dark grey/black metal box. Simply called "Toolbox".

Yes I know, but one can dream right...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1077 on: March 25, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
Salival was sort of a live release, had 5 live songs on it.

Which are rare songs or alternate...

Third Eye has a different opening Sample
Pushit has the entire first half changed up (It's my definitive version of the song)
Part of Me is an older EP song
Merkaba an instrumental only found on this EP
You Lied, a cover of Justins band Peach (they also played Spasm)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: March 25, 2020, 01:35:08 PM »
It's also out of print now if I remember correctly.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1079 on: March 25, 2020, 01:55:23 PM »
yes it is (and consequently prohibitively expensive, IMHO anyway, see for yourselves: https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1720&ev=mb)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1080 on: March 25, 2020, 04:35:00 PM »
If there ever was an official live dvd from them, I guarantee you there would be no closeups of Maynard 😂

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:37 AM »
yes it is (and consequently prohibitively expensive, IMHO anyway, see for yourselves: https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1720&ev=mb)

Ouch that is expensive. I should start sending offers for half off :lol it worked on some vinyls I've gotten from discogs

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1082 on: April 01, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »

I only saw this today... what a incredible drummer/percusionist Danny is! So creative in his arrangements! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1083 on: April 01, 2020, 10:25:08 PM »

Man, I have the CD/DVD version. Maybe I should sell it. Nah, never gonna happen.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1084 on: April 01, 2020, 11:38:00 PM »

Man, I have the CD/DVD version. Maybe I should sell it. Nah, never gonna happen.
Yeah, I do too. I bought it when it was first released. I'll never sell it. Well, unless someone offered me an exorbitant amount of money for it....
aka Puppies_On_Acid