Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 111971 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #1015 on: November 21, 2019, 08:16:14 AM »
Oh man that is really hard. In my opinion, Tool albums function best as whole pieces of music and it's hard for me to pick one song off any album that is supposed to be "the best". The question for me with those songs is: they are supposed to be "the best" in what?

You put it a very nice way. I can't say that I have ever really had a favorite song from any album. The first time that I even contemplated a favorite song was with Tempest. Just too much goodness on every album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1016 on: November 21, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »
Intolerance
Stinkfist
Lateralus
Vicarious
Pneuma or Descending, not entirely sure.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1017 on: November 22, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »
Just got back from Tool in Atlantic City and it was incredible.

The lazers and visuals were fantastic. Set list was solid and Pneuma was the song of the night for sure. I loved it before, but seeing it live was amazing  :metal

And to be honest, the no cell phone thing was actually really refreshing. People were just watching the show. It was surreal. And they were absolutely enforcing it.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #1018 on: November 23, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »
Undertow - Intolerance
Aenima - Third Eye
Lateralus - The Grudge
10,000 Days - Rosetta stoned
Fear Innoculum - The only song I go back to is Descending, so I guess this is the one

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1019 on: November 23, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »
The Lost in Vegas guys did a reaction video to Pneuma and they were absolutely floored by the track. This is the one track I just cannot wait to hear live, I'm going to melt when/if they play this.

I saw the length of the video and thought I would check out just the first couple of mins but man these guys' reactions are such a joy to watch I ended up watching the whole 38 mins of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23__zILRgc

I dug this up because I didn't want to repost something.    But I only just saw this for the first time a couple of days ago, and it actually made me love the track even more.   There is something really cool about listening to music WITH someone and the enthusiasm becoming contagious.    This used to happen a lot more when people used to go to each others houses JUST to listen to records.    The last friend I had who I could do that with died several years ago.   I don't really have anyone in my life anymore that I can just sit and listen to music with...or go over to their house just to hear the new album by so and so.   So these reaction videos sometimes feel like that to me. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: November 23, 2019, 09:45:04 AM »
I know how you feel jammindude. I have a friend who lives in Florida and when I still lived there we'd get together once or twice a week taking turns picking albums out to listen to. It was some of the best times I've ever had.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: November 23, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
Yea my college roommate and I discovered our love for many bands by spinning albums in our apartment together and having live reactions in the moment together.  We last tried this for The Astonishing and he really wasn't into it which kind of sucked.  We haven't gotten together for an album listen since and maybe never again sadly just because of how busy our lives have become.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1022 on: November 23, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Jammindude. As a teenager I spent many a happy hour discovering new albums with friends ( I can vividly remember the afternoon I bunked off school to listen to Pink's Floyd's The Wall for the first time at my friend's house). That type of shared discovery doesn't happen for me anymore.

As for favourite song from each album:

Undertow: Sober
Aenima: 46&2
Lateralus: The Patient
10,000 Days: Right In Two
Fear Inoculum: Invincible

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1023 on: November 24, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »
The Lost in Vegas guys did a reaction video to Pneuma and they were absolutely floored by the track. This is the one track I just cannot wait to hear live, I'm going to melt when/if they play this.

I saw the length of the video and thought I would check out just the first couple of mins but man these guys' reactions are such a joy to watch I ended up watching the whole 38 mins of it.

I dug this up because I didn't want to repost something.    But I only just saw this for the first time a couple of days ago, and it actually made me love the track even more.   There is something really cool about listening to music WITH someone and the enthusiasm becoming contagious.    This used to happen a lot more when people used to go to each others houses JUST to listen to records.    The last friend I had who I could do that with died several years ago.   I don't really have anyone in my life anymore that I can just sit and listen to music with...or go over to their house just to hear the new album by so and so.   So these reaction videos sometimes feel like that to me.

Very sorry about this, man.

I don't know where you live, but come by anytime and we can listen to music together ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: November 24, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »
Just got back to my room after seeing Tool and all I can say is wow
 The show was just spectacular. I'll try to write more tomorrow  but I had to post something. Danny Carey is just an animal live.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1025 on: November 25, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »

jammindude, I had forgotten how way back in the day in my teenage years this is how I used to listen to my music. Together with friends and go back and forth on different sections and tracks. I miss those discussions. And you are right these reaction videos are sometimes what it feels like.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1026 on: November 25, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
Caught the Tool show in Raleigh last night.

Holy shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: December 13, 2019, 10:49:19 AM »
EXPANDED EDITION NOW AVAILABLE:

https://smarturl.it/TOOLFIEXB?IQid=yt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54c1B9jLnJI&feature=youtu.be

Ordered with an Amazon giftcard I won the other day.

And someone here spent $120 USD of course if you have the money that's not a problem I guess

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: December 13, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Gotta order this today.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: December 13, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
I understand now, this version doesn't have the video thing the other version has, but still cheapest and I want it.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1031 on: December 13, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »
https://www.hdtracks.de/fear-inoculum you could have saved more money here and got the complete album (sorry it redirects to the German version of the page, just swap it with .com)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: December 13, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
I understand now, this version doesn't have the video thing the other version has, but still cheapest and I want it.

It has a download code for the video.... just got it today. Beautifum book...!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: December 13, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »

It has a download code for the video.... just got it today. Beautifum book...!

I noticed that on the description after I made my comment. Thanks

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1034 on: December 13, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
I actually canceled my pre-order for this expanded edition. I already have the video screen version. I don't know how much I'm keen to collect the expanded artwork.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1035 on: January 21, 2020, 11:22:34 PM »
Just came back from the Austin show. Holy crap! What a setlist and what a light show. Pat Mastelotto joined Danny Carey on the Chocolate Trip “song” (drum solo).

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: February 28, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »
Just got floor seats for the second carolina pass through in April. I'm so pumped

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1037 on: February 29, 2020, 08:58:44 AM »
Somehow just snagged row A tickets on the lower level (quite possibly the best seat in the house in my opinion) for second Twin Cities pass through. Demand must be a little lower this time around as tickets sold out instantly the first time around. Good seats can be got!!

So pumped!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: February 29, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
I think it's time to change the thread title :P

I'm so pumped.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1039 on: February 29, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
I think it's time to change the thread title :P

I'm so pumped.

Nah, it's been long enough since Fear Inoculum that we can finally be in the phase of waiting for a new album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: February 29, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »
The real question is, will they do another album? They aren't getting younger and they definitely can't wait long to do another album if they decide to do it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1041 on: February 29, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
The real question is, will they do another album? They aren't getting younger and they definitely can't wait long to do another album if they decide to do it.

And if they don't, was Fear Inoculum a good swan song for the band?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: February 29, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »
I think so, I like the album more and more with every listen and I think it's my second favorite tool album.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1043 on: February 29, 2020, 10:18:30 PM »
I think so, I like the album more and more with every listen and I think it's my second favorite tool album.
This! Absolutely!

Although I do hope they have it in them to write one more album in the next few years.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1044 on: March 01, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »
Does anyone else get annoyed that they recycled the opening riff of Jambi around the 8 minute mark of Invincible? Minor thing, but still.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1045 on: March 01, 2020, 09:21:18 PM »
Does anyone else get annoyed that they recycled the opening riff of Jambi around the 8 minute mark of Invincible? Minor thing, but still.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pretty big Tool fan, and this might be a sacrilege but they are basically the Ac/Dc of the prog/metal world. ALOT of their stuff sounds the same. They do what they do well, but they have a very very specific formula they rarely stray too far from.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1046 on: March 01, 2020, 10:12:08 PM »

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pretty big Tool fan, and this might be a sacrilege but they are basically the Ac/Dc of the prog/metal world. ALOT of their stuff sounds the same. They do what they do well, but they have a very very specific formula they rarely stray too far from.
I have no words...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1047 on: March 01, 2020, 11:00:18 PM »
I was actually a bit surprised by Adam's restraint with regards to that hammer-on-and-pull-off triplet riff on Fear Inoculum.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1048 on: March 01, 2020, 11:35:49 PM »

The fact that you leave this comment on a Dream Theater forum is hilarious to me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1049 on: March 02, 2020, 08:03:41 AM »

I have no words...

He's got a point. Obviously not all of their songs sound completely the same but basically all of their songs are in the same key and many of their riffs are just a differently-ordered sequence of these powerchords: D F G C D (see: the "holy fucking shit" riff at the beginning of Rosetta Stoned)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1