Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 385988 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Flying Colors Thread
« Reply #3150 on: November 10, 2022, 10:43:07 AM »
New music would be cool. But is Steve Morse with them on tour? He resigned from Deep Purple because he wanted to care for his ill wife and therefore stay close to home. A cruise isn't exactly that.

I wonder if that's why the photo is of figures and not identifiable people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3151 on: November 10, 2022, 01:36:28 PM »
New music would be cool. But is Steve Morse with them on tour? He resigned from Deep Purple because he wanted to care for his ill wife and therefore stay close to home. A cruise isn't exactly that.

I wonder if that's why the photo is of figures and not identifiable people.

I feel ike that's 100% him on the left.  He made it clear in one of the posts that the INTERNATIONAL aspect of it was a big deal.  Remember, Purple is a touring machine.  They play everywhere, year round, and are HUGE in Eastern Europe and Asia.   Morse is in Florida; this cruise is not hemispheres away. 

EDIT: Bear in mind, too, Steve Morse is a consummate professional and a stand up guy.  He's bristled at the Purple touring schedule for years, but has been committed because that's who he is.  I'm not at all suggesting he's throwing his wife under the bus, but I think this is a confluence of things.  It's possible that this is as much a graceful way of getting off the Purple merry-go-round as anything else. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 02:21:53 PM by Stadler »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3152 on: November 10, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »
I thought more in the line of 'he's on a ship for several days with no easy opportunity to leave should the need arise'. But you're right, that figure could be him.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline HOF

« Reply #3153 on: November 10, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »
Off topic, but I like how the cruise is apparently using a Journey/Escape theme for its branding this year.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3154 on: November 10, 2022, 03:35:05 PM »
First thing I thought of when I saw those graphics:

Offline HOF

« Reply #3155 on: November 10, 2022, 05:52:23 PM »

I half expected them to announce Journey were headlining.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3156 on: November 10, 2022, 06:36:19 PM »
Spoke to Dave LaRue at the LA JP/MP show, he hinted that Flying Colors might be on CTTE coming up since I brought my copy of Third Degree for he and MP to sign, nice to see it's actually happening!

Also asked him about Steve Morse, it sounds like he and his wife are doing alright all things considered.  It's definitely the intensity of the Deep Purple touring schedule that was the biggest deciding factor, I never interpreted his statements as a full retirement from live performing.  Dave also mentioned a new Steve Morse Band album could be happening in the near-ish future, so hopefully things go well enough that they're able to record and maybe even do a limited tour for that material. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #3157 on: November 10, 2022, 10:01:47 PM »
So my wife bought me Second Flight as an anniversary gift (thanks, babe!). Just finished watching it, and it’s a nice concert. I have to say though, the way Steve Morse holds his pick is driving me nuts. Looks really uncomfortable and awkward, but I’m no guitar legend so who am I to question? Note: he was also wearing a brace of some sort, so maybe he was having to work around that? Can’t say I’ve noticed him doing that before, but haven’t watched much of his playing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3158 on: November 11, 2022, 12:57:52 AM »
Yeah, it looks like his hand is seriously twisted. Such an odd way to hold a pick.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3159 on: November 11, 2022, 11:55:08 AM »

Some of the fragments are the exact same shape...

As to Steve Morse: he's alluded in the past to having a medical issue with his hands; I don't know if it's carpel tunnel or what, but I think I remember him saying he had to sort of rethink how he (physically) did certain things on the guitar as a result.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3160 on: November 11, 2022, 12:22:14 PM »
As to Steve Morse: he's alluded in the past to having a medical issue with his hands; I don't know if it's carpel tunnel or what, but I think I remember him saying he had to sort of rethink how he (physically) did certain things on the guitar as a result.

That would make sense and explain the brace.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3161 on: November 11, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »
The exciting thing about this I can't believe they'd plan a one-off this far in advance, so I suspect there are tentative plans to record a new album, probably for release later in 2023 or at the start of 2024, with a tour of some sort to coincide with the timing of the cruise.  I'd love to see them actually dedicate actual time to a tour this time around, as it felt like the last one was over before it even started.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3162 on: November 12, 2022, 06:26:50 PM »
Flying Colors is officially announced for Cruise to the Edge in March of 2024. Not sure if that means there will be new material and/or another tour around this or if it'll be more of a one-off.

It would be a shame if it was just a one-off, but I totally get why it would be

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3163 on: November 12, 2022, 06:33:53 PM »
The exciting thing about this I can't believe they'd plan a one-off this far in advance, so I suspect there are tentative plans to record a new album, probably for release later in 2023 or at the start of 2024, with a tour of some sort to coincide with the timing of the cruise.  I'd love to see them actually dedicate actual time to a tour this time around, as it felt like the last one was over before it even started.

That would be nice. We'll see what the future holds. I don't see this as being a Winery Dogs type of tour. I don't think the Flying Colors tour would be much bigger than the last time, but maybe just limited to North America.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3164 on: December 29, 2023, 10:02:13 PM »
There’s probably a better place to put this, but a new Rick Beato interview with Steve Morse just dropped today. Checking it out now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jxp9k72M1c

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3165 on: December 30, 2023, 01:09:10 AM »
Listened to the FC debut a couple of times over the break. Such a great record still. There are tracks i like more than others but it just came together beautifully.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3166 on: March 08, 2024, 07:07:03 PM »
Flying Colors show on CTTE tonight was great. The band seemed excited to be playing together again. And they were surprisingly tight - especially with the keyboard/guitar unison moments. And Dave LaRue was killing it! He sounded great. So did Steve as well. Mike seemed particularly energetic with his fills. And of course Casey and Neal sounded very strong vocally. My wife said afterwards that she thinks Casey is her favorite male singing voice.

The crowd was into it - there were 3 or 4 standing ovations.

Setlist:

1. Blue Ocean
2. A Place in Your World
3. More
4. Kayla
5. Geronimo
6. Forever in a Daze
7. Peaceful Harbor
8. The Storm
9. Cosmic Symphony
10. Mask Machine
11. Infinite Fire

Cosmic Symphony was especially strong. The latter part is really just perfect for Casey’s voice.

The show started 45 minutes late (shocking, I know), and Flower Kings was playing pretty soon afterwards, so I’m curious if they cut anything for time. They play again near the end of the cruise for the other half of the boat who didn’t attend tonight, so I guess if anyone keeps track of that setlist then we’ll see if they get an extra song.

Regardless, it was a great show. Really great to see them back together and putting on such a fun show.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3167 on: March 08, 2024, 08:01:05 PM »
Pretty cool. That's a great setlist. Who knows if there will be more Flying Colors shows after this cruise. Agree that Cosmic Symphony is Casey's strongest moment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3168 on: March 08, 2024, 08:03:32 PM »
Kayla gets me every time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Kram

« Reply #3169 on: March 09, 2024, 11:44:20 AM »
Cosmic Symphony is my favorite Flying Colors song. Agree, that's a great setlist! I'm envious you're on the boat with all these great bands.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3170 on: March 11, 2024, 10:23:15 AM »
Kayla gets me every time.

Boom, me too. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3171 on: March 11, 2024, 12:31:00 PM »
Flying Colors show on CTTE tonight was great. The band seemed excited to be playing together again. And they were surprisingly tight - especially with the keyboard/guitar unison moments. And Dave LaRue was killing it! He sounded great. So did Steve as well. Mike seemed particularly energetic with his fills. And of course Casey and Neal sounded very strong vocally. My wife said afterwards that she thinks Casey is her favorite male singing voice.

Setlist:

1. Blue Ocean
2. A Place in Your World
3. More
4. Kayla
5. Geronimo
6. Forever in a Daze
7. Peaceful Harbor
8. The Storm
9. Cosmic Symphony
10. Mask Machine
11. Infinite Fire

Cosmic Symphony was especially strong. The latter part is really just perfect for Casey’s voice.

The show started 45 minutes late (shocking, I know), and Flower Kings was playing pretty soon afterwards, so I’m curious if they cut anything for time. They play again near the end of the cruise for the other half of the boat who didn’t attend tonight, so I guess if anyone keeps track of that setlist then we’ll see if they get an extra song.

Regardless, it was a great show. Really great to see them back together and putting on such a fun show.

That's a pretty good setlist! Looks like all songs they played five years ago on their last tour, and a fairly balanced selection given the circumstances:
Debut - Five songs
Second Nature - Four songs
Third Degree - Two songs

They definitely cut out more of the TD songs like "Love Letter", "The Loss Inside", and "Crawl" in favor of older songs they probably remember more. I hope this cruise is the spark to light the fire for them to record a fourth album! If all of Mike's side-projects, I'd love for him to revisit Flying Colors the most, and given how busy the other members are, any tour would be difficult to line up even if Mike wasn't back in DT, so it wouldn't make much of a difference I don't think. I feel like Mike would need more commitment for groups of NMB, but Flying Colors seems perfect for Mike's current situation. I also just really want more FC music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3172 on: March 11, 2024, 02:23:59 PM »
Well Mike just posted this:

Some photos of Flying Colors’ Q&A Session on Cruise to the Edge. I may as well address the Elephant in the room with the most burning question asked: What will happen to FC now that I am back in DT…? 🤔

My answer was/is this:
This is really nothing new for Flying Colors as we’ve ALWAYS had to be very strategic with our scheduling as all 5 of us have always functioned in FC while in multiple other bands…

It was always especially difficult navigating while Steve was in Deep Purple as we always had to work around his availability from Purple. And I assume it will be similarly challenging now with me back in DT…especially as I plan on spending these first several years back focused primarily on DT’s schedule which will surely be very busy touring throughout 2024 & 2025…

But once the smoke clears from all the upcoming planned DT activity in the coming year(s), inevitably there will be some downtime and I know all 5 of us in FC would love to continue making music together as we all really love this band and the magical chemistry we have together…

So we just need to be strategic and we ALL just need to be patient! 🙏😉

In the meantime, I can’t wait to play again tomorrow night and soak in every moment while we’re together!

📸 : @joeschaefferphotography
https://www.facebook.com/share/VTpNvKGQUhnnqfvh/?mibextid=oFDknk

I guess that answers my question! :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #3173 on: March 11, 2024, 02:25:04 PM »
You beat me to it. Just posted this in the DT album thread since he states they’ll be touring this year which seems like news!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3174 on: March 11, 2024, 02:28:39 PM »
That's good to see. I had kinda written FC off as done because of Casey (from what I understand) pretty much retiring from music to focus on a cure for his daughter, so I'm happy that there may be an opportunity for more FC down the road. It's one of MP's post-DT bands I was most interested in.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #3175 on: March 11, 2024, 03:33:19 PM »
BEST thing for me out of the Q&A was that DT WILL be touring in '24! :yarr :yarr :yarr

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3176 on: March 29, 2024, 07:44:26 PM »

Setlist:

1. Blue Ocean
2. A Place in Your World
3. More
4. Kayla
5. Geronimo
6. Forever in a Daze
7. Peaceful Harbor
8. The Storm
9. Cosmic Symphony
10. Mask Machine
11. Infinite Fire

Nice set. Casey is awesome. I'd love to see this band again one day. Until then I'll enjoy the the live CDs/DVDs.