Author Topic: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 04:43:55 AM »
As far as my limited knowledge of Rush' music goes, the guitars are not nearly as impressive as the bass and drum parts, so I would understand if Lee and Peart got more attention than Lifeson (not sure if this is true, but it wouldn't shock me if it were) because of the lack of a 'signature' song/part.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 04:46:02 AM »
^ The Spirit of Radio would like to have a word with you as far as 'signature' guitar parts go.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2020, 06:01:26 AM »
Check out Rick Beato on Limelight.   You'll get insight to all 3 band members but you'll get why Alex is such a great guitarist.

https://youtu.be/4P-yUOlOC5M
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
Beato’s video on Closer to the Heart is really good too. Gave me a new appreciation for that guitar part as well.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
I’ll just throw this out there as one (of many) reasons; Alex doesn’t have an iconic solo.

Page has Stairway
Slash has Sweet Child
Gilmour has Comfortably Numb
Etc etc

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2020, 10:13:16 AM »
I’ll just throw this out there as one (of many) reasons; Alex doesn’t have an iconic solo.

La Villa Strangiato? Limelight? Freewill?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »

Page has Stairway
Slash has Sweet Child
Etc etc

Does Eddie Van Halen have an iconic solo?  (unless we want to cheat and call Eruption a solo when it's actually the entire song)

Does Jimi Hendrix?

Let's put it this way: if we want to list the, say, 10 most iconic solos of all time (which would include both Comfortably Numb and Stairway, but not Sweet Child O' Mine), sure, Alex wouldn't have one on there, but many other all-time guitarists wouldn't either.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
There are different reasons different guitarists have become iconic. Not one reason for all of them.

People here seem to be arguing that Alex is a great guitarist. He is. But that wasn't the question, the question was why he wasn't more highly regarded, specifically by non-huge Rush fans.

That question has been answered multiple times, and the responses....again...focus on why he's a great guitarist. Two different topics.

He has MAYBE one iconic riff, and how iconic it is is very debatable. He has no iconic solos. His playing more blends in than stands out. Etc. etc.

For big Rush fans, he has plenty of iconic riffs, iconic solos, and signature style playing. But that wasn't the question. He's already highly regarded among huge Rush fans.

If I ask random rock fans (not big Rush ones) to sing a single Rush riff, they might...MIGHT be able to remember the opening to Limelight, but that'd be it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
Soon, with our age the iconic riff will go out of style with popular music focusing on singers. 

TV shows I'm talking about.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online HOF

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
It doesn’t help that Rush’s most iconic song, Tom Sawyer, has a more prominent synth lead than guitar lead probably.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
That leads to a completely different topic: most iconic intros in rock history.  I will fight anyone who tells me that Tom Sawyer is not on that list.  :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
That leads to a completely different topic: most iconic intros in rock history.  I will fight anyone who tells me that Tom Sawyer is not on that list.  :biggrin:

It totally is. And while obviously the drums do the heavy lifting, that initial synth bass note also really makes it great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »
There are certain albums that sound ahead of it's time. Moving Pictures & Yes 90125 are 2 that come to mind.

Offline max_security

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Alex Lifeson is just such a  " multi - dimensional " player , his parts are often supporting the song ( like a bass player in many other rock bands ). His note selections on many classic Rush tunes are nothing less than perfect. The instrumental ( solo ) section in " The Trees " , he gets stuck holding the song together and then pulls off a short solo that is is just perfect for the mood. So I guess that he is not more " highly regarded " because whoever is making that judgement is not considering everything that he is playing . He is a big part of why Rush comes out as a three piece band and sounding like so much more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »
Also, the "public" usually flocks to the lowest common denominator. Flashy guitar. You're just not going to get that with Rush. Alex used his instrument to support the songs. Not the other way around.

Also, he doesn't have a signature sound or technique. He simply does everything really good. That makes it tougher for the Average Joe to latch onto.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:32:13 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
While we’re on the topic of Alex Lifeson, I wonder if a recording exists with whatever he was about to launch into when Different Strings abruptly fades out (just as he sounds like he’s getting going).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2020, 05:35:22 AM »
Also, the "public" usually flocks to the lowest common denominator. Flashy guitar. You're just not going to get that with Rush. Alex used his instrument to support the songs. Not the other way around.

Also, he doesn't have a signature sound or technique. He simply does everything really good. That makes it tougher for the Average Joe to latch onto.

His lead playing is quite distinctive with his whammy bar technique.  But yeah, he's very important to the overall sound and while not technically up there on the instrumental like the other two, he is incredible at the sounscapes he creates.

He kind of reminds me of Andy Summers or even Mike from Incubus.  Just brilliant at creating an overall sound with the instrument without needing to be fast and flashy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2020, 06:43:50 AM »
Alex can be fast and technically proficient. The solos in Freewill, Cut to the Chase, and La-villa are good examples.  Also, Analog Kid and Natural Science come to mind, and even Working Man especially live.
 He is the master at soundscapes and tones, and uses a lot of open chord phrasing to make it sound like there's more than one guitar. His rhythm playing is also spot on. Lerxst Rocks!  :hat

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2020, 06:44:54 AM »

Good luck finding such a list with Tom Sawyer actually on it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »
Alex can be fast and technically proficient. The solos in Freewill, Cut to the Chase, and La-villa are good examples.  Also, Analog Kid and Natural Science come to mind, and even Working Man especially live.

His solo in Freewill can rival any solo by Eddie Van Halen.

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2020, 09:35:13 AM »

No.

Edit: and I say this as a semi big Rush fan and barely a Van Halen.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 02:47:00 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2020, 12:14:46 PM »
One thing that can be said about Alex Lifeson and Eddie VH, is that both are amongst the most innovative rock guitarists of all time.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
Back in the very early 80s I had him up there with the best guitarists in rock and metal but the explosion of technique was about to happen and Alex stayed out of it, for the better. It never once occurred to me that he wasn’t one of the greats.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »

Absolutely not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »

Dammit WR, I really try to be fair and defend your stances most of the time....but then you go and say stuff like this.    :facepalm:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
Solos don't make a guitarist though.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
WR, we all seem to agree Alex Lifeson is one of the greats, and deserving to be recognised as such. Returning to your original question, and trying to focus on facts rather than tastes, a bunch of considerations spring to mind (gathering the wise words written by others above and grossly simplifying):

He didn't die young (thank God and may he live a hundred years more), and thus leonised in myth ala Hendrix
He wasn't a folk hero at the beginning of the electric revolution ala Clapton
He never put an immortal signature solo inside a world smashing radio hit ala Page
He never put an immortal riff inside a world smashing radio hit ala Blackmore
He did not create a genre ala Iommi
His band's sound is not HIS sound ala Knopfler
He was no part of a technical revolution ala Eddie / Randy
He was no part of the guitar hero generation ala Vai / Satriani / Becker, or the revival ala Nuno / Gabriel
He was never highly fashionable or publicised ala Slash
He was never the best ala JP
And so on

Or better, anyone can hear speed or see bells and whistles; fewer recognise great music and ideas

Offline Volante99

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »

Page has Stairway
Slash has Sweet Child
Etc etc

Does Eddie Van Halen have an iconic solo?  (unless we want to cheat and call Eruption a solo when it's actually the entire song)

Does Jimi Hendrix?

Let's put it this way: if we want to list the, say, 10 most iconic solos of all time (which would include both Comfortably Numb and Stairway, but not Sweet Child O' Mine), sure, Alex wouldn't have one on there, but many other all-time guitarists wouldn't either.

Eruption is literally one of the most iconic solos ever. I hear it on the radio at least once a week and I don’t even listen to the radio.

Jimi Hendrix is an exception to the rule. But one could argue his “Star Spangled Banner” Woodstock rendition is very iconic.

Sweet Child of Mine is iconic, but fine, if you want to split hairs you could put November Rain in there.

I wasn’t implying that a lack of an iconic solo is the ONLY reason. It’s just one of many reasons why he’s not mentioned in that “elite” top category of guitarists. I think the poster Indiscipline nailed in the head.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2020, 09:00:46 PM »
WR, we all seem to agree Alex Lifeson is one of the greats, and deserving to be recognised as such. Returning to your original question, and trying to focus on facts rather than tastes, a bunch of considerations spring to mind (gathering the wise words written by others above and grossly simplifying):

He didn't die young (thank God and may he live a hundred years more), and thus leonised in myth ala Hendrix
He wasn't a folk hero at the beginning of the electric revolution ala Clapton
He never put an immortal signature solo inside a world smashing radio hit ala Page
He never put an immortal riff inside a world smashing radio hit ala Blackmore
He did not create a genre ala Iommi
His band's sound is not HIS sound ala Knopfler
He was no part of a technical revolution ala Eddie / Randy
He was no part of the guitar hero generation ala Vai / Satriani / Becker, or the revival ala Nuno / Gabriel
He was never highly fashionable or publicised ala Slash
He was never the best ala JP
And so on

Or better, anyone can hear speed or see bells and whistles; fewer recognise great music and ideas

This actually....IMHO...is the best answer in the entire thread.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »
Indiscipline's post was indeed pretty solid, and the one line that stood out the most to me was: "He was never highly fashionable or publicized"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »
Indiscipline's post was indeed pretty solid, and the one line that stood out the most to me was: "He was never highly fashionable or publicized"

And he seemed happy to not be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »

For sure.  Remember that clip from one of the Rush's documentaries where a lady asked for Geddy for an autograph when he and Alex were sitting there eating?  She had no idea who Alex was.  And you could tell he was totally amused by it.  Some rock stars would have pouted or taken the "don't you know who I am?" stance, but not Alex.  :lol :lol :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »

For sure.  Remember that clip from one of the Rush's documentaries where a lady asked for Geddy for an autograph when he and Alex were sitting there eating?  She had no idea who Alex was.  And you could tell he was totally amused by it.  Some rock stars would have pouted or taken the "don't you know who I am?" stance, but not Alex.  :lol :lol :lol

Geddy had a great response at the end of that.  Something along the lines of, "Don't you want his autograph as well?  He's the leader of the band."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 11:16:14 PM »

When you think about it, being a millionaire rock star AND being able to retain some level of anonymity in public is probably the best combo.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 06:55:00 AM »
Lifeson is not a technical wizard but I know he beats many "guitar gods" in diversity and creativity.
His solos in "Freewill" and "La Villa Strangiato" are vastly different. I've never heard two Eddie Van Halen's solos that are as vastly different as those two Lifeson's.