Author Topic: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?  (Read 7829 times)

Offline WildRanger

Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:48:01 AM »
Why doesn't he get recognition as an outstanding guitarist outside of Rush fans? You would see Lee and Peart ranked very high on nearly every list or poll of greatest drummers/bassists, but you can't see Lifeson in the polls about greatest rock guitarists. In famous Rolling Stone Magazine poll of the 100 Greatest Guitarists Alex is listed at only 98.

What do you think?

Offline HOF

Re: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »
I do think he’s underrated by the broader public, but not so much by rock music enthusiasts and musicians. Mostly just a reflection of Rush’s dedicated but limited audience. He actually ranked the third greatest guitarist of all time in a 2012 Guitar World reader poll.

https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/eddie-van-halen-named-greatest-guitarist-of-all-time-in-guitar-world-poll/

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
He's a very good guitarist, but his style is almost specifically suited for the style of Rush and is hard to see outside of that context as traditionally exceptional.

That said, he should definitely be in the top tier for best Rock and Roll speech givers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 11:48:11 AM »
He's a very good guitarist, but his style is almost specifically suited for the style of Rush and is hard to see outside of that context as traditionally exceptional.

I think it's for this very reason that he have to be regarded as one of all time greatest, at least in Rock. I mean, Rush experimented with a lot of musical styles and rhythms during its career and that only showcases not only the Alex's virtuality, but also how good and diverse are his songwriting and style.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »
I saw it put best as: "Steve Via makes you think 'wow, I wish I could play that', and Alex Lifeson makes you think 'wow, I wish I had thought of that'".  Al is more inventive than flashy, and that can get overlooked.  And in the context of the band, Neil and Geddy played so far above the level of "typical" people in those roles, so they stand out differently than Alex.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »

I think it's for this very reason that he have to be regarded as one of all time greatest, at least in Rock. I mean, Rush experimented with a lot of musical styles and rhythms during its career and that only showcases not only the Alex's virtuality, but also how good and diverse are his songwriting and style.

I agree that he's great, but that's maybe why he's not so recognized because of how specific he is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »
Why doesn't he get recognition as an outstanding guitarist outside of Rush fans?

I would say the post that HOF linked pretty well destroys the premise of this question.

You would see Lee and Peart ranked very high on nearly every list or poll of greatest drummers/bassists, but you can't see Lifeson in the polls about greatest rock guitarists.

Gotta love WildRanger and his (?) assertions without any support in reality.  While I would agree that Lee and Peart were and are generally more highly regarded as players, Lifeson gets his fair share of recognition.

In famous Rolling Stone Magazine poll of the 100 Greatest Guitarists Alex is listed at only 98.

I'll submit that anyone who ranks Johnny Ramone as a better guitarist than Alex Lifeson has no credibility whatsoever on the subject.

I do think he’s underrated by the broader public, but not so much by rock music enthusiasts and musicians. Mostly just a reflection of Rush’s dedicated but limited audience. He actually ranked the third greatest guitarist of all time in a 2012 Guitar World reader poll.

I agree with the prefatory comments and submit that Guitar World is a far more credible source of guitarist rankings.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »
Look, huge Lifeson fan, here, and have often thought him to be the unsung hero of that band; for all the greatness that is Lee and Peart, other than the drum part of Tom Sawyer, the memorable riffs by and large are Alex's.

Having said that, he's not often mentioned in the same breath as the Page's, Blackmore's, Clapton's, and Hendrix's of the world.  He's just not.   I'm not saying that's right, or just, or fair, but just is.   I think in part that's because he's not a flamboyant rock star like some of the others, but also because, what's his signature song?  He has great solos, great riffs, great parts, but FOR THE NON-RUSH FAN, where's his "Wonderful Tonight"? "Layla"?  "Smoke..."?  "Stairway..."?  "Little Wing"? 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:44 PM »
Stadler nailed it.   

Sometimes WR is totally out in left field, and I feel like people are ready to pounce just because it's him...but I think his basic point (that AL is not listed in the same breath as the Clapton's, Page's, Hendrix's...etc..etc) is pretty spot on.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 01:42:53 PM »
Look, huge Lifeson fan, here, and have often thought him to be the unsung hero of that band; for all the greatness that is Lee and Peart, other than the drum part of Tom Sawyer, the memorable riffs by and large are Alex's.

Having said that, he's not often mentioned in the same breath as the Page's, Blackmore's, Clapton's, and Hendrix's of the world.  He's just not.   I'm not saying that's right, or just, or fair, but just is.   I think in part that's because he's not a flamboyant rock star like some of the others, but also because, what's his signature song?  He has great solos, great riffs, great parts, but FOR THE NON-RUSH FAN, where's his "Wonderful Tonight"? "Layla"?  "Smoke..."?  "Stairway..."?  "Little Wing"?

Limelight.

I suspect that song was played as Rush took the stage at the R&RHOF because "everyone" knows the riff.  Many people who don't know who Rush is, or who Alex Lifeson is, would probably know that riff if they heard it.  Maybe not a long of younger people, but a lot of younger people have no clue who Eric Clapton or Led Zeppelin are either.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
I do think he’s underrated by the broader public, but not so much by rock music enthusiasts and musicians.

Exactly this. Those who know, know just how incredible Alex is -- how influential he was. But Rush's high point in popularity was at THE END of their career, so mainstream fans remember little except for Working Man, Tom Sawyer, a couple of other hits, and then the last several years of Rush's career when they were an arena act (globally).

I have to admit, while I am a big Rush fan NOW, I didn't become that way until I saw them for the second time, on the 2004 tour (my first time was the Hartford 2002 show when they made their comeback). Even though I'm now a 40-something fan, I spent the last decade really getting up to speed on the 70s catalog and hear just how influential Alex really is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 02:15:16 PM »

Limelight.

I suspect that song was played as Rush took the stage at the R&RHOF because "everyone" knows the riff.  Many people who don't know who Rush is, or who Alex Lifeson is, would probably know that riff if they heard it.  Maybe not a long of younger people, but a lot of younger people have no clue who Eric Clapton or Led Zeppelin are either.

I don't know; I'm not looking to die on this hill, but there aren't signs - joking or otherwise - saying "No Limelight!" at guitar stores, but there are for "Stairway..." and "Smoke..."   I'm not slighting Alex in the least, but while Rush has one of the most rabid and extensive fanbases, they aren't a zeitgeist band in the way that some of the others are.   Mike Damone's "Five Point Plan" doesn't involve a Rush album; contrast that with the use of Rush (and "Limelight") in "I Love You, Man", where the director had to convince the band themselves that it was an homage and they weren't being mocked.   

Again, not looking to make this an issue, just throwing out my impression.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »
Funny, when I think about a properly rated guitarist, the first name that pops to mind is Lifeson. No publicity, no controversy, no intangible mythical factor; you know him if you know and like Rush, and once you do you can't fail to acknowledge skill and influence.

And ranking him 98th is honestly as silly as ranking him 3rd (or ranking him at all if you will)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 02:27:32 PM »
As underrated as Lifeson seems to be, I feel that Clapton is equally overrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »

Agreed.  He is a good guitar player, but does anyone* under the age of 50 actually think Wonderful Tonight, referenced earlier by Stadler, is a signature guitar song?  Heck, even when you look at a song like Layla, which is a great song, the best guitar work in the song is played by Duane Allman!

*I am sure there are some that do, but it's likely a very small minority.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 02:36:11 PM »

Agreed.  He is a good guitar player, but does anyone* under the age of 50 actually think Wonderful Tonight, referenced earlier by Stadler, is a signature guitar song?  Heck, even when you look at a song like Layla, which is a great song, the best guitar work in the song is played by Duane Allman!

*I am sure there are some that do, but it's likely a very small minority.

I wouldn't argue with any of this.  I've seen Clapton three times in concert, and I don't think I've ever had a "holy shit, I can't believe he just did that!" moment, as I have with Gilmour, Page, Blackmore, Steve Morse, or Van Halen. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »
If you watch Rich Beato's, "What Makes a Song Great?" when he does Limelight you'll know why Alex should be revered.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »

I wouldn't argue with any of this.  I've seen Clapton three times in concert, and I don't think I've ever had a "holy shit, I can't believe he just did that!" moment, as I have with Gilmour, Page, Blackmore, Steve Morse, or Van Halen.

You forgot "Lifeson" there. :P

This is not the case with all guitarists, but I would say most of the ones widely considered to be among the best ever are generally viewed as the best instrumentalists in their bands by a sizable margin, therefore they stand out more. For every guy like Page and Lifeson, who had bandmates who were viewed as equals or even better, there are 20 guys like EVH who had good or even great bandmates, but no one in there who was ever viewed as one of the best on their instrument like he was.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 02:43:00 PM »
If you watch Rich Beato's, "What Makes a Song Great?" when he does Limelight you'll know why Alex should be revered.

Oh man, that is a rabbit hole I have gone down way too many times now.  Beato's page is one of the best things on YT. :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
Why doesn't he get recognition as an outstanding guitarist outside of Rush fans? You would see Lee and Peart ranked very high on nearly every list or poll of greatest drummers/bassists, but you can't see Lifeson in the polls about greatest rock guitarists. In famous Rolling Stone Magazine poll of the 100 Greatest Guitarists Alex is listed at only 98.

What do you think?

Geddy and Neil are/were at the top tier of their respective instruments, Alex is not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:18:05 PM »

What do you think?

Because all those people who don't are sad and wrong.   ;)  Joking aside - I think it's a combination of things.  To Kev's point, a lot of guitar players were the main focus of their bands and really didn't have competition, so to speak, from the other band members.  The members of Rush are all equally good.  And people probably aren't used to focusing on a bass player so much - not saying it doesn't happen, but the guitar player is usually the focus, and having someone as good as Geddy, who also sings and also plays keyboards... a lot of attention goes to him. 

And I'll say this - not that I've seen a ton, but of the Rush tribute bands I've seen, they seem to have the hardest time nailing Alex's parts. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 07:32:23 PM »

What do you think?

Geddy and Neil are/were at the top tier of their respective instruments, Alex is not.

This is so wrong at so many levels. 

We all love Robert De Niro, Liam Neeson but most movie lovers love Brendan Gleeson,Walton Goggins more. Why, I think they are better. Not as famous but their craft I'd better.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »

What do you think?

And I'll say this - not that I've seen a ton, but of the Rush tribute bands I've seen, they seem to have the hardest time nailing Alex's parts.
I'll agree, I've seen two Rush tribute bands and that was the case too.  I myself have played in a cover band that played a couple Rush songs, and I struggled with some Alex parts. He throws in some tricky stuff that I've just faked my way through a few times.  :lol

On another note, John Petrucci and Kirk Hammet said that Alex is amongst their favorite and most influential guitarists. That definitely gives him credibility.  :coolio
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:53:06 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
Because rearranging his letters spells out Lean Sex Foil.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 07:50:32 PM »
That's his porn name.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 08:17:47 PM »

What do you think?

We all love Robert De Niro, Liam Neeson but most movie lovers love Brendan Gleeson,Walton Goggins more. Why, I think they are better. Not as famous but their craft I'd better.

Who??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
Tim, do you think you should ask for movies from me then make a decision? I know you haven't seen them.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
Yeah, I've literally never heard of these people.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 08:28:08 PM »
Why do I feel like De Niro is one of those people TAC has never heard of?  :lol :lol

(yes, I realize he wasn't bolded)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
In attempting to argue the point, I believe you only ended up underlining it. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »
Tim is a bad example though.   :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 08:37:39 PM »
 :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:05 PM »

What do you think?

Okay, I'm talking from a technical proficiency point of view, especially in the rock/metal/prog world, which is kind of what the thread is referring to.  Neil was possibly the greatest on his instrument, Geddy one of the greatest on the bass.  Alex, he doesn't rank up there with the best guitarists.  IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »
I saw it put best as: "Steve Via makes you think 'wow, I wish I could play that', and Alex Lifeson makes you think 'wow, I wish I had thought of that'".

I like this. I have often thought this about David Gilmour. Of course, he is a master at his instrument, but he is also the one who said "What if I played 4 notes, like this?" and came up with the brilliant guitar part of Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 04:34:45 AM »

I agree with the prefatory comments and submit that Guitar World is a far more credible source of guitarist rankings.

I saw the entire top 100 list.  Mark Knofler being ranked at #96 is absurd.