Marathon
0 (0%)
Territories
3 (17.6%)
Middletown Dreams
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 19, 2020, 02:01:28 PM

Author Topic: Rush Survivor 2020 - Power Windows - Round 3  (Read 814 times)

Online The Letter M

Rush Survivor 2020 - Power Windows - Round 3
« on: March 17, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
Power Windows
The Big Money
Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Marathon
Territories
Middletown Dreams

Round 2's Results:
The Big Money 4 (23.5%)
Grand Designs 3 (17.6%)
Manhattan Project 1 (5.9%)
Middletown Dreams 1 (5.9%)
Mystic Rhythms 8 (47.1%)

07. Mystic Rhythms
08. Emotion Detector

The album closer is out! I think, for me, the opener will be next.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

Re: Rush Survivor 2020 - Power Windows - Round 3
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 02:41:10 PM »
Please make Big Money go away.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DTA

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 02:55:15 PM »
MP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 03:13:36 PM »

Agreed.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:42:32 PM »
Territories...by miles and miles.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:29:36 PM »

:| :| :| :| :|

Literally my #1 synth era song, and literally the #1 lyrics NP ever wrote. I’m not often dumbfounded by these contests...but to me, this is like voting for Learning to Live first in a IAW survivor.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 12:51:48 AM »
Grand designs

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 02:14:15 AM »
Middletown Dreams

Also, I'm very surprised to see Mystic Rhythms so low. Personally I really love it for its immersive atmosphere, but maybe that's just me.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 05:05:39 AM »
Middeltown Dreams
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 09:19:54 AM »

:| :| :| :| :|

Literally my #1 synth era song, and literally the #1 lyrics NP ever wrote. I’m not often dumbfounded by these contests...but to me, this is like voting for Learning to Live first in a IAW survivor.

I think you and I have traded comments about this before, I simply disagree with you about the lyrics.  It's not that I don't like them; it's just that I don't think they're anything special.  The particular lines you often point to articulate a point of view that had, as of 1985, been articulated many times before in rock music.  I'll give you that it's articulated in a semi-clever way, but I simply don't view it as anything mind-blowing.  The rest of the lyrics follow the same basic theme, and the song contains one of NP's more inane lines (the "better beer" line basically says, "gosh, we're being awfully serious here, but oh, wait...we still have our dorky sense of humor!").  But the lyrics have little to do with why it gets my vote for 7th place on this album.  The music is deficient in just about every way.  MR is just a bit worse, and both of the other songs on side 2 have some fairly strong musical moments.

Your "for me" qualifier notwithstanding, all of the "synth era" albums are divisive, so the comparison to Learning to Live falls flat.  Natural Science would be a better comparison to LTL, and maybe Lines in the Sand would be a decent comparison to Territories.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »
No sense in getting wrapped around the axil about lyrics.  They will never change how good a song is musically.  Territories has some pretty catchy riffs and I think the synth era is awesome. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 08:31:02 PM »
I had to listen to Mystic Rhythms just to be sure we were talking about the same song.  :lol  Yeah, I like it very much. One of the best songs on the record, and probably of the entire synth era.

Oh, and...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »
No sense in getting wrapped around the axil about lyrics.  They will never change how good a song is musically.

Unless it's an instrumental, a song consists of both music and lyrics, and different people place different value on the two elements.  I get that some folks largely disregard the lyrics and focus almost exclusively on the music.  While I value music over lyrics, it is absolutely the case that, for me, bad lyrics can ruin a musically-strong song (and, likewise, great lyrics can make a musically-strong song better).  On the other hand, for me, the best lyrics ever won't save a musically-weak song.  Territories is, for me, a song where the music is not good, so it doesn't much matter if the lyrics are good.  The lyrics are, on the whole, fine, but they'd be better without the "better beer" line (including how it's delivered).