Author Topic: Dream Theater Postponed the rest of the Tour  (Read 7703 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dream Theater Postponed the rest of the Tour
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 05:08:59 PM »
WWMPD? What would MP do? Too soon?

1. Put out a cool release that wouldn't have happen without him. (because he is really good when it comes to giving the fans special things)
2. Make sure everyone knows that he is the reason that fans are getting it. (because very few in the music industry love patting themselves on the back as much as him)
3. Get pissed and go off on social media when 0.0001% of the fanbase expresses some type of dissatisfaction with the release. (because he, by his own admission, gets frustrated about any criticism)

Later, rinse, repeat. :P :P

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »
 :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 01:07:58 AM »
WWMPD? What would MP do? Too soon?

1. Put out a cool release that wouldn't have happen without him. (because he is really good when it comes to giving the fans special things)
2. Make sure everyone knows that he is the reason that fans are getting it. (because very few in the music industry love patting themselves on the back as much as him)
3. Get pissed and go off on social media when 0.0001% of the fanbase expresses some type of dissatisfaction with the release. (because he, by his own admission, gets frustrated about any criticism)

Later, rinse, repeat. :P :P

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 06:55:20 AM »
In these corona times, DT should stream a split screen concert from everbodys house with a totally jam session !!! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 07:17:25 AM »

That's funny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 11:24:37 AM »
Australian dates were rescheduled for November, I assume the Asian dates will be programmed close to them. Hopefully everything is safe and clear to travel by then :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »
I am surprised they are being rescheduled already given the unknown about when this world-wide pandemic will end.

I'd love to see them, like many other bands, take advantage of this time stuck at home to start writing and possibly recording new stuff. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »
I am surprised they are being rescheduled already given the unknown about when this world-wide pandemic will end. 

My bet is that they don't want this tour to continue in 2021, but still want to honor the dates and cities they were commited to before the cancellations, so they booked them with the best-case-scenario mindset. Hope it works out for them and everyone involved.

I'd love to see them, like many other bands, take advantage of this time stuck at home to start writing and possibly recording new stuff. 

That'd be great to see. Even if they want to wait untill next year to be all together in the studio and start working on DT15, I'm sure they have enough unused (or new) ideas already they could use to put together a very nice 3 song EP or something like that (a 30 minute, one song EP talking about the current world situation, as somebody else mentioned here on DTF, would be incredible too).

At least MM has been uploading new videos on his YT channel and Jordan has been live-streaming everyday at the piano, so we're getting something. Not sure what JP, JLB or JM are up to, tho.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:30 PM »
Australian dates were rescheduled for November, I assume the Asian dates will be programmed close to them. Hopefully everything is safe and clear to travel by then :'(

Yeah, I was surprised also, seems strange to reschedule so quick.  Not the best time of year for me but I ain't getting my money back so hopefully all goes to plan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »

Keep in mind that the live release will be released before that though (most likely anyway)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »

JP just posted a pic of his amp mic'ed for recording. Hopefully this means he's finally recording that new solo album he's been working on for over a decade.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »
During this time off from touring would be a good opportunity for them to start writing for the next album(which they probably already are) and getting the new live material released on Blu-Ray.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »
During this time off from touring would be a good opportunity for them to start writing for the next album(which they probably already are) and getting the new live material released on Blu-Ray.

Well, JP just posted today that he has been writing a lot of music during isolation, so you might be right! Considering the pandemic isn't going anywhere anytime soon, could this be the first time DT write and record an album remotely? IIRC, pretty much eveyone in the band (maybe excepting James) has the necessary gear for recording at home. They could even film the whole thing from their sessions and release it as bonus material.

As for the new live release, I was just thinking about that today. They might want to finish the rest of the tour before releasing it, but considering no one really know when this madness is going to end or if they'll be able to tour again for those rescheduled dates, I hope it's being worked on and that we can have it before the end of the year.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »

Yeah, I was surprised also, seems strange to reschedule so quick.  Not the best time of year for me but I ain't getting my money back so hopefully all goes to plan.

This has me worried, in 1918 the spanish flu had a very deadly 2nd wave around October and November.

I wish they could just refund people as much as I want to really see them but being stuck in crowd like a concert really concerns me.
And she listens openly

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »

This has me worried, in 1918 the spanish flu had a very deadly 2nd wave around October and November.

I wish they could just refund people as much as I want to really see them but being stuck in crowd like a concert really concerns me.

I'm still skeptikal that the resceduled dates even eventuate to be honest.  Still confused about them rescheduleing dates in the first place.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »
Me too. I hope they don't bump their whole schedule back just to be able to make up cancelled tour dates that cannot even be determined for months if not longer. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2020, 12:14:36 AM »
Me too. I hope they don't bump their whole schedule back just to be able to make up cancelled tour dates that cannot even be determined for months if not longer.

Even though I'd love to see them down here, I'd prefer they cancel them altogether and just make sure they come on the next tour cycle.  If they push everything back trying to makeup dates than I really wouldn't want that. 

I'm not sure how long the tour has got to go, but perhaps they should can it and focus on some new stuff now, then have a break wiht their families or vice versa then go out on a big trek once this has all subsided.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2020, 01:00:37 AM »
Even though I'd love to see them down here, I'd prefer they cancel them altogether and just make sure they come on the next tour cycle.  If they push everything back trying to makeup dates than I really wouldn't want that. 

Yeah, this more generally is gonna be a problem as a whole for the industry. You can't postpone everything at the same time, skip 12 months like 2020 never happened, every band has their schedules, priorities, financial obligations and needs..... I hope all of this is resolved soon but I don't rule out that at some point more than one band will have to give up definitively a tour and start planning ahead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 07:08:56 AM »
I think Dream Theater, like other artists who have rescheduled for later in the year, are locking down dates on the off chance that touring later this year is feasible, but I'd be shocked if they happen.  No offense to anyone, but you gotta be crazy to go to a sporting event or concert any time in the near future.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
Just heard this morning that Louisiana has cancelled all public events for the remainder of the year.  Wouldn't be surprised if other potential "hotspot" states follow suit.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
Plot twist: The pandemic lasts longer than anyone predicted, forcing Dream Theater to take...a five year break.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
Plot twist: The pandemic lasts longer than anyone predicted, forcing Dream Theater to take...a five year break.

Hee.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2020, 12:05:36 PM »
I think they'll definitely try to honor those dates, but I agree they should probably just cancel them and work on the two upcoming releases (live album and DT15).

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »

Time to take the time.

I guess I will have another Drink.
And she listens openly

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2020, 09:23:36 PM »

MP likes this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2020, 06:33:34 AM »
His cover band is already due for a 5 year break I think.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2020, 10:25:31 AM »
Unpopular Opinion: James likes this pandemic break so he just rest his voice a bit longer and back with a fresh and rested voice.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
Unpopular Opinion: James likes this pandemic break so he just rest his voice a bit longer and back with a fresh and rested voice.

My thoughts exactly. I always thought they had a pretty aggressive tour schedule and always wondered whether or not he was giving his voice the rest it needs.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »

My thoughts exactly. I always thought they had a pretty aggressive tour schedule and always wondered whether or not he was giving his voice the rest it needs.
I would guess he does so now anyway. Apart from that though, he said he does take care of his voice on and off the road (in quite a few interviews I've read or listened to. Sorry I can't reference one right now.) Even when I've seen DT live with him seriously ill (happened once in 2017 on the I/W 2.0 tour) he did a great job IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »

Not really an unpopular opinion.  Makes sense really and I'm sure secretly he's not that mad.

His cover band is already due for a 5 year break I think.

And probably every other project he puts his mits on since leaving DT.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
So its not only postponed its already cancelled except for the Australia,Indonesia and Japan leg.

Hi Everyone,

We're writing to inform you that Dream Theater were not able to reschedule all dates of their Asia tour. The events below have been unfortunately cancelled.

Bangkok
Singapore
Manila
Taipei
Seoul

All VIP purchased will be refunded minus CC service fees incurred over the next week. Refunds can take 7-10 business days to process back to your account.

We apologize and hope to see everyone soon.

Thanks,

Sound Rink and Dream Theater
And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »
And we still don't know for sure that the Australian dates will actually happen. Worst case scenario, all dates get canceled and we get new material earlier :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
We are handling the pandemic pretty well over here, but the government are being super cautious, so with cases declining, group gatherings may or may not be a thing come November.  The way it's going, I think technically we should be able to be near enough back to normal, but it's 50/50.  Really they should just cancel the rest of the tour to be safe.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:32 AM »

Not talking just about DT, but imagine coming out of a several years hiatus this year, only to cancel everything. That would suck.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2020, 01:26:21 PM »
And we still don't know for sure that the Australian dates will actually happen. Worst case scenario, all dates get canceled and we get new material earlier :metal

I am so pump for this tour. Really love to see Scenes from a Memory live! I was to broke to see them back in 2000 for that tour.

Plus I love the Distance over time Album!

But boy why do I feel DT will write some super emotional epic that will somehow relate to this crisis and be like Illumination Theory in Steroids.
And she listens openly