Author Topic: Dream Theater Postponed the rest of the Tour  (Read 7742 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Dream Theater Postponed the rest of the Tour
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:09:43 PM »
As the global situation involving coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to unfold, many of our friends and family in the US and international music scene have already made the difficult decision to postpone any and all events currently scheduled.

In recognition of the importance and scale of this global pandemic, Dream Theater will adhere to the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and governments worldwide, by postponing all currently scheduled performances.
As soon as possible, the promoters for each show will have ticketing and/or rescheduling information available.

We are deeply apologetic to our fans throughout the world who we were not yet able to reach on the current Distance Over Time – Celebrating 20 Years of Scenes From a Memory Tour. Please be assured, we have every intention of performing this show for you as soon as we’re sure that the safety of our fans will no longer be compromised. We are working right now to reschedule these dates, and will follow up with more information as soon as we have it.  Please stay tuned for further updates, as we hope to announce rescheduled tour dates soon!

Obviously, the health and safety of the band, our touring crew, and all of our fans, friends and families is of paramount importance to us. We will continue to closely monitor the global coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, and truly look forward to being able to reschedule any and all postponed dates, as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience during this crisis.  We wish you — and those around you — good health!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Postponed the rest of the Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:10:51 PM »
I saw the news on a different thread but as it is marked as SPOILERS here only. I thought some folks are avoiding that thread for Spoilers and might not see the announcement.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:13:06 PM »
Oh, right.  I forgot that's a spoiler-heavy thread.  I didn't know where else to put it.  To reiterate my post.

Anywho, sorry guys for those that haven't seen this tour and had tickets to see it.  It was inevitable that they had to make this announcement.

https://twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1239748290138251264

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 02:04:02 AM »
Inevitabile and necessary. Sucks for those involved but it's better to be alive and without SFAM, that having SFAM as your last memory when you can't breathe in a hospital.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 03:11:32 AM »
"Made the difficult decision to postpone"

"Adhere to the recommendations of the WHO"

It is not like any band out there has a choice, is there? Even if governments hadn't forbidden public events of any kind, I don't think many people would show up for concerts and it would be cancelled anyway.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:15:48 AM »

And I thought DT's mantra was "What would Rush do".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 03:24:41 AM »

:lol

I hope they don't take advice from Keith Moon.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 04:36:26 AM »

:lol

I thought the same thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »

:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 11:51:46 AM »

:biggrin: :lol

I was wondering when they were going to make the announcement. Maybe JP can take the time to work on some of his solo work or new DT material.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »
Only Rush knows what Rush would do.  Who's on 1st?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:56 PM »
First time I was going to see them down here since the SC tour but I fully expected this was coming.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
Spend time with your family, guys!

In your downtime, kick around some ideas, and when you are all ready, get together and write some new material!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
Not surprising that they've done this. It was inevitable. In fact, I'm kinda surprised it took them as long as it did for them to make the announcement. I was already thinking about it and mention of it here:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50945.msg2634829#msg2634829
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 12:15:07 AM »

In your downtime, kick around some ideas, and when you are all ready, get together and write some new material!

JP solo album!?  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »

This.

And who knows, maybe we'll get a new album a little earlier than initially planned?  Or maybe not if all the airline flights get canceled.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Evai

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 01:51:50 AM »
Maybe we can get a new 'The Great Debate'
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 04:59:14 AM »
It would be great if the hiatus resulted in new music. Even a cover song EP would be fine with me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 05:08:30 AM »
I wonder if this will affect their DT15 plans... the world basically stopped so there's a phuckton of tours postponed or on hold, with the risk of oversaturating the market this autumn. With everyone postponing everything at the same time, the backlog of concerts, tours, and other artistical endeavors (such as shooting movies) will pile up on top of everything that was already planned for summer and autumn, this will create some logistical avalanche effects on future schedules.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 05:19:34 AM »
I wonder if this will affect their DT15 plans... the world basically stopped so there's a phuckton of tours postponed or on hold, with the risk of oversaturating the market this autumn. With everyone postponing everything at the same time, the backlog of concerts, tours, and other artistical endeavors (such as shooting movies) will pile up on top of everything that was already planned for summer and autumn, this will create some logistical avalanche effects on future schedules.
as Scotty mentioned very briefly, his guess was that work on DT15 may start earlier than what was planned.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 06:29:05 AM »
It would be great if the hiatus resulted in new music. Even a cover song EP would be fine with me.

This. Imagine a 30min long EP, one song only (SDOIT-ACoS like) with multiple sections, maybe regarding the Coronavirus crisis.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 06:37:55 AM »
One Degree of Global Turbulence
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »

This. Imagine a 30min long EP, one song only (SDOIT-ACoS like) with multiple sections, maybe regarding the Coronavirus crisis.

I'd love that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »
I remember a few years back that JR had done that online live concert thing.  I don't know how well he did, but if he did well then maybe the band could do a few shows like that to maybe help make up for lost revenue.  I'd certainly pay to see that.

And, as others have said, a 30 min EP would be killer  :metal
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »
When I was young my favorite bands would release a killer album EVERY FRICKIN YEAR, so yeah, no excuse for a bunch of bands not to take advantage of this and crank out some good tunes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 06:39:10 PM »
When I was young my favorite bands would release a killer album EVERY FRICKIN YEAR,

No kidding, man. WTF is this 3 years between album?. And it's every band.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 10:13:17 PM »
When I was young my favorite bands would release a killer album EVERY FRICKIN YEAR,
No kidding, man. WTF is this 3 years between album?. And it's every band.
As much as it would be nice to have a new album every year from all my favorite artists, I can see why that's not feasible today for a number of reasons:

1. Touring brings in the revenue these days, not album sales. So if a band records a new album, it's so that they have an excuse to go on tour, not for them to promote the new album.

2. Most bands I'm into are slowing down - they are not young single guys with no strings attached that have boundless energy and are just hungry to play to as many people as possible. These days, they would rather pace themselves so that they can enjoy their personal/private lives more, as well as other things that interest them.

3. Albums these days are (on average) much longer than they were back in the 80s and before, which means more time/effort needed to write/records that material than 30+ years ago. Somewhat related - recording probably didn't take as much time, whether due to technology and/or the expense of professional studios. These days, a band can tinker in their home studio (or wherever really) forever without worrying about running up costs.

I'm sure there's other reasons, but I'm too tired to try to think of them right now. Time to hit the sack...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
You know what? Then bring the families into the studio with you. The kids aren’t in school anyway.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
At 20 you're the arsonist, at 50 you're the fire-fighter.

The middle-aged rock artist is a whole new game we still have to completely embrace. How many old guys were pumping out albums when we were young?

Offline emtee

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 09:54:19 AM »
Would be a great time to work on some official bootleg releases.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »
One Degree of Global Turbulence

Six Feet of Social Distance Over Time.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 05:38:08 AM »

Yes! But I suppose they’re “too old” for that  ::).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
Yes! But I suppose they’re “too old” for that  ::).
Not exactly the phrase I would use, but yeah, not happening. No reason why there couldn't be, given that there's no official live release from their brief 30th anniversary tour in 2015, TA 2016 tour, 2017 IWaB tour, and even some of the shows from early in Dramatic tour (especially from 2011) and maybe a show from the "festival" shows they did last year that have songs they're not doing during the Evening With tour. Nonetheless, I think at this point in time, a snowball has a better chance in hell than there being any more Ytsejam releases, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »
Scotty, they got off to a great start with the Happy Holidays 2013 release, but I have to say, the lack of Ytsejam releases has really taken a chunk out of my fandom. Shure we got a couple of live albums, but ...how live are they? they certainly don't sound it. I love the rougher mixes the Ytsejam boots gave us. Much more real than what they are putting out as "live" recordings.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »
WWMPD? What would MP do? Too soon?