0 (0%)
Cyril
1 (10%)
Romdrums
0 (0%)
Kevin Moore
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: STAY AT HOME - MINI HOME ROULETTE v.2 fiiiinal results my bois! W H O WON?  (Read 22337 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Only 6 people sent in time O.o. Was I too harsh with the write-ups or is 2 days too short of a time to sent? If either of those please let me now.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Covid damn you :getoffmylawn:

2 days should be more than enough time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Only 6 people sent in time O.o. Was I too harsh with the write-ups or is 2 days too short of a time to sent? If either of those please let me now.

You were way too harsh on my song, yes :(

Sending right now! Give me those negative extra points for sending late.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

Sorry, sending shortly.

And sent.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:35:11 AM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I think Covid is making people slower, even when they don't have it! It's a worldwide phenomenon  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline home

Everybody's in!  :metal

First impressions tomorrow :neverusethis:

Offline home

This seems to be a stronger overall round than the previous one. There's one song that really sticks out from the rest after first listen, but there are quite some songs I look forward to listening too more  ;D

Here's the tracklist:
Kiev – Tube Orms
Arms and Sleepers – Twentynine Palms
Astrosaur – Poyekhali
VOLA – Still
Chilidish Gambino 19.10
Public Service Broadcasting – The Pit
Amy Shark – Drive You Mad
Shlohmo – Buried
Slushii – Sapient Dream
The Mayan Factor – Warflower

And first impressions:
I really dig how subtle this starts, with some gorgeous minimalistic piano. The man’s and woman’s voice work super well together.

Loove the minimal beat, maybe inspired by Lorde - 400 Lux? On first listen the chorus doesn’t really stand out or stick, but that might definitely change with successive listens.

There’s definitely some cool instrumental stuff going on but on first listen it just kinda happens without me really getting into it. This probably needs a bit more time to completely digest though.

Beautiful atmospheres, love how it conveys intensity and urgency in the last part.

Immediately dig this more than your previous submission! Some cool keyboards in the outro.

Well this starts weird! Curious to hear where it’s heading. Absolutely love how all these different sounds work together.

Are you sending me vaporwave haha? It’s definitely very chill and happy.

I like how it picks up from the slow mood about halfway. That’s a tasty bass riff.

Love the vibe the guitars create. I dig the singer, both his voice and the melodies, especially on the chorus.

That’s a cool funky beat! I’m not so sold by the vocals yet.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach

Loove the minimal beat, maybe inspired by Lorde - 400 Lux? On first listen the chorus doesn’t really stand out or stick, but that might definitely change with successive listens.

Guess mine is either one of these

There’s definitely some cool instrumental stuff going on but on first listen it just kinda happens without me really getting into it. This probably needs a bit more time to completely digest though.

I like how it picks up from the slow mood about halfway. That’s a tasty bass riff.

And these could be Astrosaur and Mayan Factor respectively
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: STAY AT HOME - MINI HOME ROULETTE v.2 Second round - First impressions
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
Whoever sent The Mayan Factor - I love you
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online HOF

And first impressions:

Beautiful atmospheres, love how it conveys intensity and urgency in the last part.

Well this starts weird! Curious to hear where it’s heading. Absolutely love how all these different sounds work together.

[/i]

I think one of these is mine.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
"Are you sending me vaporwave haha? It’s definitely very chill and happy."

meme

VOLA and Kiev... good stuff this round indeed
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2020, 01:08:51 AM »
Whoever sent The Mayan Factor - I love you
:heart
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Tomislav95

Love the vibe the guitars create. I dig the singer, both his voice and the melodies, especially on the chorus.

I'd say this is mine

Offline home

All of these guesses are correct  :tup

Results likely tomorrow evening, quite sure there will be a 9 this round.  :hat

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
I'm ready for that 1st place  :hat

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2020, 02:05:01 PM »
I'm ready for that last place  :hat
FTFM :metal

Offline home

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »
Hey buddy did you hear the news?
-cool rif-
It’s track reviewz

----------------------

Arms and Sleepers – Twentynine Palms: 9

I really dig how subtle this starts, with some gorgeous minimalistic piano. The man’s and woman’s voice work super well together.
There’s just so much I love in this song, the melancholic atmosphere, the subtle crescendo in the first minute, those cool electric sounds, the way they break it down and build it up again halfway through, the transition into that beautiful last part. This song already stood at first listen, but still managed to grow on me a lot. Already looking forward to digging into this band’s discography.

The Mayan Factor – Warflower: 8.5
The guitars on this song immediately grip me, despite mostly playing a pretty simple motive over and over again. The singer is what really carries this song though, I love how he starts quite subtle and keeps adding more grit. The composition is maybe a bit stretched out but I still pretty great, I dig the bridge-y part and the small break-down before the last chorus.

Public Service Broadcasting – The Pit: 8.25

This song is a great example of how to use spoken word effectively, it’s not as sometimes is done: let’s put some sample over this instrumental part. To the contrary, I feel every spoken word part here is a crucial part of the composition, whether it leads into a new section or adds intensity. Coupled with a nice build-up I can definitely say I really enjoyed this song!

Shlohmo – Buried: 8
First of all, the sound design here is just stellar, I don’t really know anything that sounds similar and that is I think mostly because of the sounds they use. The build-ups/composition here are great. Maybe a slight complaint is that despite being 7 minutes, there’s only really one melody. However that does kinda work as in it makes the song somewhat meditative. I’m hoping more songs by this band will surprise me like this!

Kiev – Tube Orms: 7.75
Nice slow, slightly melancholic, vibes at the start. Dig the transition at about 2 minutes in and that bass riff starting at about 2:30 remains still keeps my head bobbing. I was expecting a bit more of a climax at the end, due to the kind of washed out vibes it never manages to grip me completely.

VOLA – Still: 7.75
Immediately dig this more than your previous submission! Some cool keyboards in the outro.
I like the way this song starts, the way the different instrumentals come in sequentially isn’t super unique but it’s done well here. The vocals in the chorus are really nice too. Despite my initial impression I would say the keyboards here are the part I started caring least for. Still it’s a really solid song, and a good reminder I should check out this band!

Amy Shark – Drive You Mad 7.5
The electronic sound that fades in and out during the whole song is pretty cool, but it’s almost the same as 400 Lux,  though twice as fast. Doesn’t take away that I really dig the atmosphere in this song. On a whole this song doesn’t stand out that much though, the lyrics for one are pretty straightforward.

Slushii – Sapient Dream: 7.25
Are you sending me vaporwave haha? It’s definitely very chill and happy.
My opinion on this hasn’t changed that much, it feels like a pretty light-hearted song. It doesn’t move me but I do enjoy listening to it. It’s not as interesting/unique as songs by similar chill sounding artists, like Tycho for instance. The production is great though!

Astrosaur – Poyekhali: 6.75
About 6 listens in and unfortunately I still can’t say anything in this song really stuck. Doesn’t take away that it still makes for an enjoyable listen. I would say it starts me a bit too abrupt for me (maybe I’m just not that much into this high energy moods lately). I do really enjoy the chuggy section at around 1 minute as well as that melody a minute later.

Chilidish Gambino 19.10: 6

The production on this started to actually kind of annoy to me, it sounds very loud (especially the drums) and kind of flat/undynamic. I do dig the overall vibe somewhat, it’s nice and funky. Still not a big fan of the vocal melodies here. Sorry…

---------------------

Final thoughts
Definitely a stronger round than last round, with the average score being almost half a point higher this time around. Overall the scoreboard shifted quite a bit, though both Tomislav and Puppies_on_acid remained in the top three. Don't despair if you're not at the top now though, two people score more than two points higher this round compared to the first one. Anyway I am really enjoying listening the song so far and I'm really looking forward to what y'all send :D

----------------------------------

Round 2 Scoreboard:
Sacul 9
Tomislav 8.5
HOF 8.25
Puppies_on_Acid 8
Nekov 7.75
Elite 7.75
Cyril: 7.5
Kattelox 7.25
Romdrums 6.75
Train of Gambino 6

--------------------------------

Total scores:
Tomislav 16.75
Puppies_on_acid: 16.5
Cyril: 16.25
Sacul: 16
Kattelox 14.5
Romdrums 14
Hof 14.25
Nekov 14.25
Elite 13.25
Train of Naught 13

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: STAY AT HOME - MINI HOME ROULETTE v.2 Round 2 TRACK REVIEWS
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
what the heck is a parama

and fair enough, tbh that song's never made me think of lorde but that's fair enough

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2020, 02:23:44 PM »
Nice  :metal

Online HOF

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »
“Public Service Broadcasting – The Pit: 8.25
This song is a great example of how to use spoken word effectively, it’s not as sometimes is done: let’s put some sample over this instrumental part. To the contrary, I feel every spoken word part here is a crucial part of the composition, whether it leads into a new section or adds intensity. Coupled with a nice build-up I can definitely say I really enjoyed this song!”

Nice!  This whole album tells a story of the Welsh coal industry through interviews, film clips, etc. as well as some sung lyrics. That’s kind of the band’s thing, and I agree they know how to use spoken word really effectively. There are at least two other tracks on that album I really debated sending. It’s a pretty diverse album, but The Pit gives a pretty good representation of the range of sounds they incorporate. It’s very cinematic and really draws you in. One of the more unique albums I own and one of the best things I’ve discovered in the last few years.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:15:04 PM by HOF »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »
“Public Service Broadcasting – The Pit: 8.25
This song is a great example of how to use spoken word effectively, it’s not as sometimes is done: let’s put some sample over this instrumental part. To the contrary, I feel every spoken word part here is a crucial part of the composition, whether it leads into a new section or adds intensity. Coupled with a nice build-up I can definitely say I really enjoyed this song!”

Nice!  This whole album tells a story of the Welsh coal industry through interviews, film clips, etc. as well as some sung lyrics. That’s kind of the band’s thing, and I agree they know how to use spoken word really effectively. There are at least two other tracks on that album I really debated sending. It’s a pretty diverse album, but The Pit gives a pretty good representation of the range of sounds they incorporate. It’s very cinematic and really draws you in. One of the more unique albums I own and one of the best things I’ve discovered in the last few years.
Ariich sent that album to me in my last roulette. It's a great album. Those of you that like Public Service Broadcasting may also like Hibernal.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2020, 06:47:10 PM »
Well, that was better than last time so I'll take it  :laugh:

Will be sending tomorrow probably
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2020, 06:53:14 PM »
Sent! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online HOF

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2020, 10:20:12 PM »
Ariich sent that album to me in my last roulette. It's a great album. Those of you that like Public Service Broadcasting may also like Hibernal.

I’ll have to check Hibernel our when I get a chance.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »

I’ll have to check Hibernel our when I get a chance.
Definitely check out their album The Machine. It's there best, in my opinion. Replacements is pretty good and After the Winter is great. I wouldn't bother with The Dark of the City, it wasn't that good.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2020, 09:33:51 AM »
Last place :omg: :omg: wow, I really did not expect that, I thought you'd love this song/album, I did pick the funky/upbeat track on the album and maybe you would be more into the moody stuff.. but if you don't like his voice fair enough, it's a lost cause.

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2020, 12:01:47 PM »
Hell yeah, knew you'd dig it :metal. I'll send more comfy electronic ambient post-rock-ish tunes then.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
Sending later today.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
I think I sent earlier today but can't remember  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online HOF

« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »
Yeah, I sent last night but haven’t gotten confirmation back from Home yet. Guess he’s occupied.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2020, 03:05:23 PM »
after all, he -is- the internet's busiest music nerd

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
Sent!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
after all, he -is- the internet's busiest music nerd
Mr Fantano is that you?  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2020, 01:24:14 AM »
Hello everybody BRAINTHONY WAVETANO here

tran-SITION have you given this album a listen?did you love it did you hate it?what would you rate it?you're the best you're the best what should I review next?hit the like if you like please subscribe and please don't cry hit the bell as well