Author Topic: Live-streaming in the wake of COVID-19 - is it really feasible and profitable?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
With all the coronavirus madness and all the postponed or cancelled tours, I've been seeing musicians asking to buy merch, etc., to help support those who make their living with music. I did my part this week on that end (which I was going to do anyway, filling in some CD gaps and getting some shirts, etc.).

But when I started hearing the stuff about bands playing to empty venues and streaming it, I wonder if that's a sustainable model. I mean, I'm not saying bands going to a venue and livestreaming with no audience. But I wonder if a new model to generate revenue would be bands setting up at their respective rehearsal spaces, and playing sets, charging "X" amount of money per "seat," based on what makes sense to cap it at, from a bandwidth perspective.

Hour-long rehearsals, or even hour-long shows, talking to people, etc. Would there be a market for that? Would it be sustainable? I think it might. I don't think it replaces touring. But in times like these, if you can get the infrastructure in place quickly enough, I could see bands doing it.

Take Dream Theater for instance. I'm not sure it is built yet, but if it is -- the new studio they have. I am sure there is a big rehearsal room. Setting it up for livestream, fans pay to access, they come on, do a set, chat in between songs, shut it down for the night. Two nights later, do it again.

Sure, you can't charge like you would for a concert date -- but if done correctly, there's no promoter markup. Say a straight 15 bucks for an hour-long DT "show" at their studio in HD, on your big screen. Would you do it? I would.

And say you get 1,000 fans, worldwide, to do it each night, well, you just made 15k a night, for sitting and rehearsing for an hour. Do it three nights a week, you just made 45k, with only the cost of your bandwidth, your studio techs, etc. Seems like it would work to me.

Again, not in PLACE of touring, but in a situation such as we're in, if a band could put together the infrastructure readily, it could work. Thoughts? What am I missing in this idea to make it truly feasible?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline romdrums

It's certainly possible, and we already see it in some ways with bands like Periphery, Tesseract and BTBAM, who have done these kinds of "live in the studio" performances.  Tesseract did it with Concealing Fate, the first suite of tracks from Altered State, and BTBAM did it with Parallax II.  Periphery partnered with Meinl Cymbals to do some playthroughs of a few songs from Hail Stan.  I think it's an idea that will have to take hold for bands to continue to make a living.  It may even be beneficial to studios and help bring back a few places that have been shuttered recently.  I don't think it will happen in any larger venues, like arenas and such, but I think it can be done at recording studios and rehearsal spaces pretty easily.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Eh.

I paid a ticket once for a virtual concert. I don't want to do that, and I don't see a market for it unless you're way out in the boonies and bands simply don't come anywhere near you. There is very little energy (LOW ENERGY! SAD!) and the volume isn't the same. You can't feel the instruments in your body. You don't have that electric energy from the band interacting with YOUR specific audience, you don't have the story of your crowd or the people you went with, the music just sounds like any other file you're playing through your equipment, you're basically paying for a ticket without the experience and saving on convenience fees.

I honestly hope that it doesn't take off. I could see, like, Iron Maiden getting away with it. But I've seen enough pro footage of them that it wouldn't be exciting at all.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline HOF

I’d love for more bands to do their own version of a “VH1 Storytellers” type concert where they play songs in an intimate setting, talk about the music and explain background behind songs, maybe even do some sort of a Q&A, all of which would be feasible as part of a live stream.

For most bands, I’m not sure you could make money on something like that on more than a one time basis (you’d be selling to the same fans probably). But for bands with bigger followings and deeper catalogs, they might be able to do an album by album type of thing, or at least varying set lists that might bring back repeat viewers. I’d watch a series of “Live from the Racket Club” where Marillion plays each album and talks about each song.

Maybe moreso than a livestream, I wonder if bands could release these type of things direct to streaming services and make some money. Hard to say what the overhead would be (performance space, production crew, cameras, etc.). Marillion already has their own streaming service for their live DVDs.

Online Anguyen92

I remember a long time ago where Foo Fighters did a live stream in their home studio, Studio 606, where they've played almost three hours and they played their usual staples, and some rarities from their earlier albums.  They also had a chatroom where people were trying to submit some song requests.  I think I can see this working if you try to have a solid business model on it, at least until the heat dies down regarding COVID-19.

Also you got guys like Matt Heafy of Trivium and Herman Li of Dragonforce where they livestream the sets of their shows of their respective bands on Twitch and generate ad revenue (not much, but every little bit counts) along with them playing whatever games float their fancy.

I'm not saying that 1,000 people is willing to pay like $10-15 a show consistently, but I would like to see something more in the veins of what the guys that does Twitch streams do.  Imagine if a band like Avenged Sevenfold (whose does play video games and have some stuff relating to video games) do something like that?  They pull in a larger audience than Trivium and Dragonforce fans.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:27:03 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ErHaO

I don't think it can replace a tour. But a couple of different sets, along with merchandise promotions and some ads/partnerships can definitely work to earn some money.

Offline SoundscapeMN

stageit.com might see a boost in activity because of this.

Also the Pink Floyd album Live at Pompeii was essentially a recording in this way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

Cellar Darling, a band with ex Eluveitie members, announced a streaming concert for the 5th of April. Fee is upon discreption, you can actually watch for free, but if you pay 15 euros you'll get an autographed card as a thank you.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I'm not contributing to paying for numerous live streams - my money needs to stay budgeted close to home.  I only go to one or two shows per year, if that, so bands aren't really losing income from me.  With the craziness happening in society now, that money needs to stay available for groceries and other family needs. 

I agree that this could be a one-off replacement for a little income for bands, but I don't see how they can generate enough income to replace an entire tour.  And quite honestly, I'm not very concerned with their income and welfare at a time like this when I have my own responsibilities, career, income, family and stress to handle on my own.

Offline ErHaO

Cellar Darling, a band with ex Eluveitie members, announced a streaming concert for the 5th of April. Fee is upon discreption, you can actually watch for free, but if you pay 15 euros you'll get an autographed card as a thank you.

That is pretty cool, will consider. Their last album was excellent and I enjoyed them as an opener to Gentle Storm.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
A concert without other people talking, filming it on their phones, going to the bar and bathroom throughout? Sign me up!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

"Stay home and avoid spreading the illness, but we'll still make the postmen get out there and work, damn it!"  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
I'd be up for this, generally. I like the making of things bands do and live stuff together would be even better.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I would be up for this with some acts.  But I would imagine it would work best/sound best for artists that work in more intimate or more acoustic settings, such as jazz, bluegrass, folk, Americana, etc.  It may not work as well for bands that rely more on bombast or volume in their live shows.

Or it may.  Who can say?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Feasible? Yes.
Profitable? No.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Nachtmerrie

Eh.

I paid a ticket once for a virtual concert. I don't want to do that, and I don't see a market for it unless you're way out in the boonies and bands simply don't come anywhere near you. There is very little energy (LOW ENERGY! SAD!) and the volume isn't the same. You can't feel the instruments in your body. You don't have that electric energy from the band interacting with YOUR specific audience, you don't have the story of your crowd or the people you went with, the music just sounds like any other file you're playing through your equipment, you're basically paying for a ticket without the experience and saving on convenience fees.

I honestly hope that it doesn't take off. I could see, like, Iron Maiden getting away with it. But I've seen enough pro footage of them that it wouldn't be exciting at all.

Exactly this.

It just can't replace the energy of a sold out venue. For me going to a show is all about having a beer with friends and sharing the experience.

Offline HOF

Well, this just happened.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/digital-music-festival-live-from-out-there-973080/

“Live From Out There — a subscription-based digital music festival — didn’t have superstars on the bill for its first weekend near the end of March. There were no special discount codes, no merchandise bundles, no particular gimmicks to draw attendees in. It still raked in $100,000 in one weekend.”

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Well, this just happened.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/digital-music-festival-live-from-out-there-973080/

“Live From Out There — a subscription-based digital music festival — didn’t have superstars on the bill for its first weekend near the end of March. There were no special discount codes, no merchandise bundles, no particular gimmicks to draw attendees in. It still raked in $100,000 in one weekend.”
I would totally be down for something like this if it were bands I knew of.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wait, you've never heard of Pigeons Playing Ping Pong??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

Wait, you've never heard of Pigeons Playing Ping Pong??

Why must bands name themselves things that's never actually going to happen?  I think I would love to watch pigeons play ping pong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum are doing a livesteam gig on Friday which I just got a ticket for, really interested to see how it works.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum are doing a livesteam gig on Friday which I just got a ticket for, really interested to see how it works.
So it's on Fridayum?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Mike Marker Zero is having a live stream show on Friday night at 8 pm EST.

They also do Q&A's weekly.  It's a fun time. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So it's on Fridayum?
Yessum.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Devin Townsend announced a set of three concerts that come with a cost but it's all going to donations.  I'll probably check the first one out and then see if it's worth watching the others.  I think the idea works in the short term, but you can't really do it more than a couple times IMO before people lose interest, assuming it costs money.  If they do it for free with the option to donate, you'll get more people to consistently watch but if you have to pay every time, are you really going to watch the 4th or 5th performance? 

I saw Eclipse did a pay concert last week, but it was during my work hours and even if working from home, I just couldn't at that moment watch so I didn't bother buying in.  I would have liked to check it out.

Offline Harmony

Hope you all saw this.  Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead Release Unseen And Rare Footage On YouTube Amid COVID-19 Lockdown

Not just them - Genesis, Radiohead, Metallica 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2020/04/09/pink-floyd-grateful-dead-release-unseen-and-rare-footage-on-youtube-amid-covid-19-lockdown/?fbclid=IwAR1zdd5GjEzl_VSaLAXDGHTVJBZisIUD96PTC1hGjQCt8BXFH6VyQV6xWwM#6828ca740bb1

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline HOF

Here’s a specifically prog focused streaming service that looks really promising. Subscriptions are ironically on hold due to COVID-19, but I’m gonna give them my email to get access to the Pete Jones concert. He’s massively talented and worth checking out if you’ve never heard him before.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-quiet-room-prog-on-demand-subscription-service-launches?fbclid=IwAR32mPomUrcouMOdUqZtSohcCLnHHbKCWM1d-pPaVtnetrbUjBWxT3w7otQ

Website is here:

https://www.quietroom.tv/

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Devin's second quarantine show was absolutely fantastic last night - and it raised $81000 for the NHS in the UK! Extraordinary. YouTube (now with synched audio) is here - https://youtu.be/Qv4RqR0ud2g - fab set list, too.

Clutch have done two short sessions with more on the way.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Devin's second quarantine show was absolutely fantastic last night - and it raised $81000 for the NHS in the UK! Extraordinary. YouTube (now with synched audio) is here - https://youtu.be/Qv4RqR0ud2g - fab set list, too.

Clutch have done two short sessions with more on the way.

I love Devin and appreciate his work to fundraise here, but these shows he's doing are really uninteresting to me.  His streams on twitch were much more interesting of him doodling and talking.  These quarantine shows playing to a track do nothing for me from a music/entertainment perspective.  That's not to take away from what he's doing, just my opinion from a "is it really feasible" approach.  I don't personally see how doing what he is doing would work if he were doing it to support himself.

Offline HOF

This should interest some people here. The Prog Report doing a free (I assume) YouTube concert featuring a number of interesting artists. Not sure what/how they will be playing:

https://progreport.com/the-prog-report-to-host-all-star-prog-from-home-concert/

“ Prog Rock news outlet The Prog Report is pleased to announce an All-Star event featuring some of the biggest names in the Progressive Rock. The event titled ‘Prog From Home’ will premiere on The Prog Report YouTube channel on Saturday, May 9th at 11am PST / 2pm EST / 7pm UK / 8pm CET.

Prog Report YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/progreportpage

The virtual concert will feature curated at-home performances by:
Mike Portnoy (Sons of Apollo/Neal Morse Band), Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater), Steve Hackett, Neal Morse, Michael Sadler (Saga), Ray Wilson (ex-Genesis), Nick Barrett (Pendragon), Oliver Wakeman, Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train), Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief), Casey McPherson (Flying Colors), Haken, Enchant, Magenta, The Reign of Kindo, John Wesley (ex-Porcupine Tree), Paul Bielatowicz (Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy), John Mitchell (Lonely Robot), Eric Gillette (Neal Morse Band), Novena, Moron Police, Dave Kerzner & Fernando Perdomo, Randy McStine & Adam Holzman, The Fierce and the Dead, Randy and Pamela George, Dani Rabin (Marbin). Also included are some guest performers and presenters.”