--- NEXT MATCH BELOW ---
0 (0%)
The Province
6 (12.5%)
Ryker Skies
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 13, 2020, 05:39:00 AM

Author Topic: The IQ Cup - Round of 16  (Read 725 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
The IQ Cup - Round of 16
« on: March 11, 2020, 05:39:00 AM »
16 songs remain. So we go again. Your matchups are:

For Another Lifetime vs The Road of Bones
Harvest of Souls vs Stronger Than Friction
The Narrow Margin vs Until the End
Guiding Light vs The Seventh House
The Last Human Gateway vs The Great Spirit Way
Frequency vs Sacred Sound
Further Away vs Stay Down
The Province vs Ryker Skies

Voting is open for 48 hours. Any tied matches will go to a 24-hour Tiebreaker vote. Please check your ballot carefully before submitting your votes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The IQ Cup - Round of 16
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
Not sure how the brackets are laid out, but I can definitely see a Province v. Seventh House finale.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »
Hopefully not! :biggrin: Both great songs but my dream matchup I think would be The Road of Bones vs Frequency.

That being said, I voted for both Province and Seventh House this time.

Road of Bones
Harvest of Souls
Until the End
The Seventh House
The Great Spirit Way
Frequency
Stay Down (that's got to be my favourite song from Resistance, got to show the love)
The Province
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »
Road of Bones
Harvest of Souls
Until the End
The Seventh House
The Great Spirit Way
Sacred Sound
Further Away
The Province

Change the song order around a little bit, and that would be a killer setlist. :metal
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:31:22 PM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
For Another Lifetime (8)
Stronger than Friction (5)
Narrow Margin (4)
Seventh House (1)
Great Spirit Way (7)
Frequency (6)
Further Away (3)
Province(2)

With song rankings in parentheses, still a bit lost as to the overwhelming love for Road of Bones. It's a solid track, but for me at least twenty iq songs top it. To each his own I guess

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 02:23:25 PM »
I don't know if I could rank my favorite IQ songs, but a few of my faves were eliminated prior to the Round of 32.  I would probably put The Great Spirit Way, Fallout, Sacred Sound, Constellations, and Darkest Hour in my top five.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 03:35:01 PM »
Not sure how the brackets are laid out, but I can definitely see a Province v. Seventh House finale.

It's a blind bracket, so all matchups for each round get drawn at random. The format doesn't really allow for a true "seeding" to take place, as a song can only get group stage points against the songs in its group. Like, a song might have won all its matches in the group, but it might have gone up against considerably "weaker" songs to get those 33 points compared to another song in another group.

Which is also the reason why I don't consider this a true search for the forum's favourite/best IQ song. There are too many variables at stake for that to be the case. It's simply, which song is the champion of this tournament under the circumstances it has been placed in.

Just another observation, that may have been better served in the previous round's results post: We lost the top 3 songs from Group A in the previous round, including The Darkest Hour which was the first song in the entire tournament to book its knockout berth. Sacred Sound is all that remains in this round, and that was something of a surprise "late entry" into the tournament, only going up into 4th spot after Round 10.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »

It's a blind bracket, so all matchups for each round get drawn at random. The format doesn't really allow for a true "seeding" to take place, as a song can only get group stage points against the songs in its group. Like, a song might have won all its matches in the group, but it might have gone up against considerably "weaker" songs to get those 33 points compared to another song in another group.

Which is also the reason why I don't consider this a true search for the forum's favourite/best IQ song. There are too many variables at stake for that to be the case. It's simply, which song is the champion of this tournament under the circumstances it has been placed in.

Just another observation, that may have been better served in the previous round's results post: We lost the top 3 songs from Group A in the previous round, including The Darkest Hour which was the first song in the entire tournament to book its knockout berth. Sacred Sound is all that remains in this round, and that was something of a surprise "late entry" into the tournament, only going up into 4th spot after Round 10.

Darkest Hour was this tournament's Tampa Bay Lightning.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
I don't know if I could rank my favorite IQ songs, but a few of my faves were eliminated prior to the Round of 32.  I would probably put The Great Spirit Way, Fallout, Sacred Sound, Constellations, and Darkest Hour in my top five.

Oh I was just ranking those. A good deal of my favorites in play anymore, though Seventh House and Province are a sure 1 and 2

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:02:54 AM »
ROUND OF 16 RESULTS

For Another Lifetime 2-4 The Road of Bones
Harvest of Souls 3-3 Stronger Than Friction
The Narrow Margin 2-4 Until the End
Guiding Light 1-5 The Seventh House
The Last Human Gateway 2-4 The Great Spirit Way
Frequency 5-1 Sacred Sound
Further Away 5-1 Stay Down
The Province 6-0 Ryker Skies

So we have seven of our quarter-finalists, but we need a tiebreaker vote to determine the eighth. That is already underway here.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »
Weird how the 3 title tracks have survived.