Author Topic: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now Playing-Armor Of Light  (Read 22369 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
shit, Tim beat me to it by a minute lol

Still a valid comeback.

The jerk store called

You're on fire mate.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Played this at work today. It’s the only Riot album I own. Excellent album. Decent cover 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Played this at work today. It’s the only Riot album I own. Excellent album. Decent cover 😀

Wow, that seems so random. What led you to buy it in the first place?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I will be able to give this one a crack tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Obviously the cover by the sounds of it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lowdz

They just happened to have it in in the local HMV and I gave it a go. It would have been around the time of release I think. I haven't played it much over the years to be honest and I didn't really recognise any of the songs (apart from the cover obviously!). I think I must have tried Immortal Soul at some time as I recognise the cover.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Through the Storm, play button pressed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Turn the Tables has bloody awesome solos.

I love the AOR tinge at teh end of the choruses of Lost Inside This World, really nice touch, nice song.

The title track has some nice touches, very smooth.

Nice solos on Let It Show.

Burn the Sun is a nice short rocker.

To My Head is fucking awesome.  Great groove, and wonderful solos again.

I'm liking this one a lot better than the last.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome Kade. Glad you made it through it. I thought you'd like Lost Inside This World.

Yeah, it's a really nice album. These albums have truly been a great find.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Essential Enemies was pretty solid.

As is Somebody.  Quality seems to drop a little now but not much.

Err.......yeah the quality definitely drops now with this cover choice.  Why the fuck did they decdie to put this on here, good lord!!!

The instrumental was very good. 

I didn't really care for another cover either.

They were going really really good with this but teh choice of a shitty cover with an instrumental and then another cover is such an anticlimax.  Really ruined what was a great album.  Take out the covers and you have an excellent 10 song album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't mind the Here Comes The Sun. I think it's fine as an acoustic instrumental.

Like I said, I'm not nuts about Only You Can Rock Me when UFO fucking plays it. Isle Of Shadows is really nice though.

But definitely as you said, the album runs out of steam for sure. That said, It's still really good up to that point.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't mind the Here Comes The Sun. I think it's fine as an acoustic instrumental.

Like I said, I'm not nuts about Only You Can Rock Me when UFO fucking plays it. Isle Of Shadows is really nice though.

But definitely as you said, the album runs out of steam for sure. That said, It's still really good up to that point.

Yeah, take out the covers and I like it a lot.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
choice of a shitty cover

It IS Riot you know  :biggrin:

I played a couple of songs off this on a podcast - Turn The Tables was one, I know that much.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This album grew on me as I was listening for this thread.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
choice of a shitty cover

I played a couple of songs off this on a podcast - Turn The Tables was one, I know that much.

If there is one thing I'll say about Riot is they do go way overboard with covers.  I like bands that do a lot of covers but keep them as bonus tracks. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Army Of One

Released July 12, 2006

1. Army Of One
2. Knockin' At My Door
3. Blinded
4. One More Alibi
5. It All Falls Down
6. Helpin' Hand
7. The Mystic
8. Still Alive
9. Alive In The City
10. Shine
11. Stained Mirror
12 Darker Side Of Light
13. Road Racin' (Live)

Mike DiMeo-Vocals
Mark Reale-Guitars
Mike Flyntz-Guitars
Pete Perez-Bass
Frank Gilchriest-Drums

Long time Virgin Steele drummer Frank Gilchriest joins the band. He's a monster BTW. Recorded in 2003, but not released until 2006, this is Mike DiMeo's last album with Riot. In fact, by the time it was released he was long gone. Mike Turilli would help Riot tour the album.

There is very little about Mike DiMeo on the net. I did manage to find this statement:
"In response to all the mail I have been receiving about my status with Riot I have had many great years with the band, and I am tremendously proud of all the work I have done with them, especially Army of One, but at this point in my life and career, I prefer to forge ahead with a new path musically. I look forward to a new creative beginning with Masterplan, who are an incredibly talented and motivated group of guys!! I wish Riot the best of luck in the future and will always consider them brothers......thank you, Mike DiMeo."

He would go on to record one album with Masterplan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now playing-Army Of One
« Reply #367 on: April 09, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
I must admit, I've been enjoying the last few albums so much, I didn't really prepare as deeply as I should have with Army Of One.

This is a really solid album.

My @Kade track is Blinded.

I really like One More Alibi and It All Falls Down, especially the Falls Down chorus. Amazing vocal.

Helpin' Hand is cut from the Aerosmith power ballad cloth.

The Mystic totally rips, but my favorite song is Shine. It really has a little of everything.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: April 09, 2020, 08:37:13 PM »
Alright boys! I'll let everyone catch up as we close out the Mike DiMeo Era. I'll likely post some final thoughts on it on Sunday.

Next week: The return of Tony Moore, the death of Mark Reale, and the mighty Riot V.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
choice of a shitty cover

If there is one thing I'll say about Riot is they do go way overboard with covers.  I like bands that do a lot of covers but keep them as bonus tracks.

It was an attempt at a play on words with shitty (album) covers  ;)  - they're the best at shitty covers period  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #370 on: April 10, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »
Played this one at work yesterday as it was a very quiet day. Another excellent album but I think I’m starting to suffer from over exposure with awesomeness. I’m sorry I missed out on this band. It’s pretty much been quality all the way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »
Can't listen til Sunday night.  Looking forward to it.

Well, that career with Masterplan didn't last long.  A shame.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
And yes, we’re back to a shit album cover 😱

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
It makes me think  of Hath's famous line..."if you gaze into the abyss, it gazes back at you."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: April 12, 2020, 03:34:12 AM »
Just hit play.

The title track kicks ass.  Wow, that solo section, tasty.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: April 12, 2020, 03:44:18 AM »
I must admit, I've been enjoying the last few albums so much, I didn't really prepare as deeply as I should have with Army Of One.

This is a really solid album.

My @Kade track is Blinded.

I really like One More Alibi and It All Falls Down, especially the Falls Down chorus. Amazing vocal.

The Mystic totally rips, but my favorite song is Shine. It really has a little of everything.

Good track, but I think I liked the first two better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: April 12, 2020, 03:52:45 AM »
I really like One More Alibi

Wonderful chorus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: April 12, 2020, 04:03:50 AM »

This one is confusing me.  The verses and chorus just don't see to mix.  Such a groovy verse with so much attitude, and then that chorus, WTF?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: April 12, 2020, 04:24:38 AM »
Still Alive is very fucking cool.  Might actually be my fav so far.  Great guitar play and just grooves nicely.  Some real Tipton esque tones too with the leads.  Great song for Mike's voice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: April 12, 2020, 04:42:34 AM »
but my favorite song is Shine.

Oh yeah, ripping song.  The main riffs and verses sound heavily like MOTR/TTOTO era Helloween.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: April 12, 2020, 04:51:13 AM »
Stained Mirror.  Now that's a fucking guitar instrumental.  :hefdaddy

Darke Side of Light.  Great song, nice simple riffing and a great contrast with the chorus.  Nice Priest like solo trade offs too.

This is an absolute cracker of an album.  I'd have to revist some of the earlier ones like Inishmore, but I think this is my fav of the DiMeo albums.  Consistent from start to finish and quality all the way through.  Really really good album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: April 12, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
That's awesome Kade! Glad you got through it!

Stained Mirror.  Now that's a fucking guitar instrumental.  :hefdaddy

:tup
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:55:35 AM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #382 on: April 12, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »
So I must say, I had never heard a Mike DiMeo album before deciding to do this thread. I think I've heard each of them at least a half dozen times now.
My first impression on my first run through of the albums was that it was very consistently good, but nothing really jumped out at me. Each album is really similar, in general, to the other. It can make it hard to define some things. But as I focused on each album on its own, I found all kinds of awesomeness throughout.

The fact is, it's good hard rock. Really impressed by Mark Reale's creativity, especially as a lead player. But I think the addition of Mike Flyntz really inspired Mark to raise his game. Mike was real complementary and pretty damned good himself.

Pete Perez' time with the band would also be coming to an end. That guy was a beast on bass.

I will absolutely be coming back to these albums in the future. They were a real goldmine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: April 12, 2020, 02:41:17 PM »
I had the impression Tim that you knew the whole Riot discography well.

I too am impressed with the guitar playing.  Quite creative, and on a whole the songwriting is very strong also.  Will revisit them for sure, especially AOO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: April 12, 2020, 02:44:00 PM »
Your comment too on them all sounding similar, while I understand what you mean, I don't agree.  I think they each have a bit of their own sound, feel and atmosphere.