Author Topic: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now Playing-Armor Of Light  (Read 22360 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2020, 02:57:41 PM »
I'm already jumping ahead and listening to Narita.  I could almost agree either way with someone saying these are the greatest album covers ever or the worst  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »
Heart of Fire was pretty killer.  Not the biggest fan of Tokyo Rose and This is What I Get is pretty shit and the blueprint for generic cheesy, one dimensional hard rock with no substance.

Overall, a nice listen with really good guitar work.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »

I just find this style, really enjoyable but lacks a certain depth for the most part that really gets me going.  I'm enjoying listening to this but it's a style I never really feel the urge to want to listen to it a lot of the time.

It's relatively simple bar band music. And the production certainly sounds a bit dated. Robs the music of some of it's depth. Riot's music. would be undermined many times by their production.

Even though I'm a metal guy and being born in 84, this old school rock 'n' roll style of music I never really took too like most of you guys.  bands like Riot, UFO, Kiss, Foreigner, AC/DC, Aerosmith, that sort of style I just never really found a real deep love like I do with the Maiden's, Priest, Sabbath etc.  UFO I'm quite partial to even though I haven't explored all their stuff thoroughly and Thin Lizzy I'm a big fan of too, but you get what I'm saying.

And while I love the late 70's hard rock, I don't care for earlier stuff like The Beatles or The Who. It's cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »

Awesome!

And we made it to Page 2. I didn't think we'd get to Page 2 until Thundersteel. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
I always found the beginning of Tokyo Rose very close to Thin Lizzy's Angel From The Coast

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 03:34:39 PM »

Awesome!

And we made it to Page 2. I didn't think we'd get to Page 2 until Thundersteel. :lol

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised we're on page 2 already also.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
Really looking forward to checking the Mike DiMeo albums.  I LOVED him on Masterplan's MK3.  I know he copped some shit after Jorn but he was wonderful on this album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
Really looking forward to checking the Mike DiMeo albums.  I LOVED him on Masterplan's MK3.  I know he copped some shit after Jorn but he was wonderful on this album.

I would take Mike DiMeo over Jawn any day of the week.

I must admit, I was not familiar with the DiMeo albums, but have been through them a few times, there's some great shit in there. Plus lineupwise, it's easily the most stable the band has ever been.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
I had that album with a different cover. A quick trip to the attic....

And hell yes, I loved this compilation :metal

Interesting alternative album cover. I definitely prefer the cover on my copy ;D

Rock City is one of my favourite Riot albums. Back in the day it may have been my favourite of the Guy Speranza albums, but now I prefer Fire Down Under.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 05:19:52 PM »
On March 27th, Riot will release the rarities compilation album, Rock World, via Metal Blade Records. The album features artwork by Jan Meininghaus and all songs were remastered by Patrick W. Engel.

Here's more info on the release and track listing.
"In Mid 2016 I was asked to organize and catalog the considerable archives of the late Mark Reale, As a lifelong Riot fan this was an exciting prospect. Little did i know this would turn into almost a year of working through cassette tapes (Mostly unlabeled), VHS cassettes and ancient reel to reel formats - from this many never heard before songs and pieces of music were unearthed, of which numerous Riot archives collections and re-issues have been released this past couple of years. This collection contains some until now unheard songs or alternate versions of classic Riot tracks."
 Enjoy
- Giles Lavery, Los Angeles January 8th 2020.

Title: Rockworld Theme
Rockworld was a music tv show from the late 70's - Riot were approached to compose and record a track for the main theme, This track is a "Lost" outtake from the early Guy Era!

Title: Bloodstreets (Alternate Version)
This alternate version of the classic "Thundersteel" era song has an alternate ending different from the album version, In this version the chorus repeats in a loop, instead of the guitar solo ending from the "Thundersteel" album.

Title: Buried Alive (Tell Tale Heart) (Alternate Version)
A Different arrangement than the album version - The intro heard on the "Thundersteel" record was originally intended as the end of the song, but was ultimately moved to the start.

Title: Runaway (Instrumental Early Idea Demo)
A fantastic instrumental from Mark Reale … The musical theme became the basis for the song "Runaway" which was released on the "Privilege Of Power" album.

Title: Killer (Tony Moore Vocals)
This version of "Killer" differs from the version found on "Privilege Of Power" as it features Tony Moore providing all vocals, instead of the trade off with Joe Lynn Turner.

Title: Maryanne (Rough Mix)
Maryanne is a highlight of the "Privilege" record, should have been a single/video … coulda been huge! - This rough mix shows the song in a slightly more formative stage

Title: Medicine Man (Tony Moore Vocals)
Title: Magic Maker (Tony Moore Vocals)
Title: Faded Hero (Tony Moore Vocals)
"What could have been" … These 3 songs are demos recorded for the follow up to "Privilege Of Power" prior to Tony Moore departing.. the band. All 3 were recut for the "Nightbreaker" record with Mike Dimeo on vocals… this 3 track demo gives a glimpse into how things might have turned out had Tony stayed.

Title: Sylvia (Outtake)
Title: Good Lovin (Outtake)
Title: Creep (Instrumental Outtake)
Three demo tracks that were from the Nightbreaker sessions, None of these made it to the final release in any of its numerous issues, 'Sylvia' could have made it to the record, it appeared years later in year 2000 as a bonus track on an unsanctioned live release while 'Good Lovin' shows the band once again experimenting with brass, finally "Creep" is an instrumental track of which little is known.

Title: Instrumental 1994 (Brethren Outtake)
 An instrumental outtake from the "Long House" sessions, never was developed any further, but cool nonetheless.

Title: Medicine Man (Tyrant Sessions)
Title: Magic Maker (Tyrant Sessions)
These two demos featured Jag Panzer vocalist Harry 'Tyrant' Conklin … Recorded while the band were looking for a singer to replace Tony Moore…The job ultimately went to Mike Dimeo

https://www.metalblade.com/riot

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 05:49:10 PM »
Well alright! Thanks Raven!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now playing..Narita
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 05:52:14 PM »
Narita

Released October 5, 1979

1. Waiting For The Taking
2. 49er
3. Kick Down The Wall
4. Born To Be Wild
5. Narita
6. Here We Come Again
7. Do It Up
8. Hot For Love
9. White Rock
10. Road Racin'

Lineup:

Guy Speranza-Vocals
Mark Reale-Guitar
Rick Ventura-Guitar
Jimmy Iommi-Bass
Peter Bitelli-Drums

Before the recording of Narita, guitarist Lou Kouvaris was let go by the management. Lou was an outspoken critic of the contract that Mark and the band signed before the recording of Rock City. In fact the entire band was skeptical. But Mark wanted to forge on with Steve Loeb. Drummer Peter Bitelli talks about how the management really got into Mark's head and changed him. Through Mark, the management really controlled the band.
Friend of the band Rick Ventura was brought in to replace Lou.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now playing-Narita
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 06:53:57 PM »
I would say that Narita is literally one of my favorite albums of all time. No question.

@ Kade, if you like outro solos, check out the ones on Waiting For The Taking and Here We Come Again.

The title track is one of my all time favorite instrumentals.

I love 49er and Road Racin' and White Rock is also really cool.

Hot For Love is pretty lame though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 08:14:16 PM »
Looking forward to checking this one out then. 

Their covers are so fucked.  Is that a like a sumo seal shitting skulls?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 08:27:13 PM »

:lol

Yeah right? And what's with the plane??

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 08:33:08 PM »

:lol

Yeah right? And what's with the plane??

He's coming in to take down the sumo seal that's killed his victims with his axe, eaten them and shit out their bones.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »
…..and I realize that Peter Bitelli will never be confused with Neal Peart, but I have always loved his drumming on this album. He had a great ride cymbal.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2020, 09:36:56 PM »
Seriously these album covers  :lol. The album covers had to be an inside joke of some kind. Or just a drug induced decision by someone. Wolf described it best  :rollin

I had a listen and 49er was a standout track, but I didn’t care too much for the born to be wild cover. Maybe that’s because I’ve never been a huge fan of the original...............but seriously back to the album cover

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »
Born to Be Wild I've always found a pretty terrible song.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 12:01:09 AM »
I don't actively listen to much metal anymore, but when I did Riot were easily my favorite band. I think they'll always be a very special band for me, even if I have kind of played most of their albums to death.

To quickly play catch up on Rock City, while I love Mark's riffs/tone/style, for me the big draw of the first 3 albums is absolutely Guy's vocals. Simply one of the greatest vocalists ever in my opinion, and its such a shame that we only got 3 albums from him before he retired to be an exterminator of all things. Tokyo Rose is probably my favorite song on the album these days, that riff is very unique for Riot and its a shame they never really revisited that type of song. I get the disdain for This Is What I Get, but I've always kinda liked the song, mainly because of Guy's great performance. Overall, it's a good album that I like quite a bit, but their best was definitely ahead of them.

As for Narita, its definitely a strong contender for my favorite Riot album. I remember deciding long ago that the title track was my favorite song of all time, and while my tastes have changed a ton since then, I still stand by that decision. Simply some of the greatest guitar interplay ever on that song, even if it isn't super flashy. Waiting for the Taking was a sleeper for me, didn't like it for a long time, and I still think the way it just starts by jumping right into the verse doesn't really work as an album opener, but its grown to be one of my favorites from the album. 49er is another personal favorite, Mark definitely had a penchant for writing really cool riffs that had some depth to them. As for Hot For Love, the ending is definitely asinine, but as a song I've always really enjoyed it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 06:33:22 AM »
Going back to Rock City for a minute, I just found this clip with the original first album lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xS2VmtbiF8

Offline max_security

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
That title track ( Narita ) is my favorite from Riot. For the time there was nothing that sounded like that.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
Just listened to Rock City. This is actually a pretty enjoyable album. This is probably just the sound of the times, but I hear some early Rush influences in the guitars on this.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »
Alright, had a listen.  Wow, that title track was unexpected and bloody awesome.  49er, Here We Come Again and Road Racin' were my other picks.  The Born to Be Wild cover can fuck off and yeah Tim, Hot for Love was somewhat annoying to me.

I still get a real Sin After Sin Priest style sound from these guys early on.  Cool record.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
The Born To Be Wild cover does kind of blow. 

I'm glad you had a listen. The title track is a fantastic instrumental. I think I've used that in a roulette or two.

@Pup..thanks for playing!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
Going back to Rock City for a minute, I just found this clip with the original first album lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xS2VmtbiF8

:metal :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »
Gave Narita a listen. I don't think I like it as much as their first album, but there are some bangers on there. The title track in particular.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2020, 10:04:40 PM »
I never regarded Narita too highly, though there are a few good songs. I think Born to be Wild is what  really ruined the album for me.

Haven’t heard Narita in quite a few years. Will have to give it a another spin sometime  soon.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2020, 05:45:47 AM »
Gave Narita a listen. I don't think I like it as much as their first album, but there are some bangers on there. The title track in particular.

I found the quality of both albumd pretty much the same.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2020, 06:18:52 AM »
Just got through Rock City.................I have it but couldn't remember a thing about it.   I liked pretty much every track and didn't hit Skip but no one song blew me away either.  The vocals on this (less so the music) reminded me of Aussie band Heaven who I was big into back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHVgRse2To

I am not sure but I think in that video the rhythm guitarist is the original bassist from AC/DC Mark Evans.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2020, 06:22:42 AM »
Huh, I never made the connection between Guy Speranza and Allan Fryer. And I HAD all three Heaven albums back in the day. I actually really liked them.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 06:41:09 AM »
I remember hearing the songs 49er and Narita on the U of U college radio program on Saturday nights back when this was released. I really liked them both, but for some reason never purchased this album.

Had a listen to the whole record the other day and pretty much had the same impression I did from Rock City. Fun listen, blistering lead guitar, mostly mediocre riffs (except on Narita and 49er), Guy has a great voice but the melodies are a bit monotone and can grate on the nerves. I don't know, I'm pretty glad I never got this album. The production, again, isn't quite up to snuff and that's not helping. There a quite a number of weird sounding 70's albums that are still good because of the music. This isn't one.

I don't now, or ever have, thought their album covers made a difference. Yeah, they're odd but there were a lot of odd album covers in the 70's. The airplane on this cover is most likely the word association with Narita International Airport (I thought I heard someone ask about that earlier).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2020, 07:44:40 AM »
All totally fair comments.

They were really just a New York City bar band that had some good songs.

I personally love Narita. I think it's highs (WFTT, HWCA, Narita, 49er, RR, WR) far outweigh the low points. Of course, it's resonated with me since I was a kid.

I'm going to post Fire Down Under tonight, and then I'll let that sit for the weekend. Give everyone a chance to catch up. I'll resume on Monday with Restless Breed.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2020, 07:56:53 AM »
There's a few guys in the Men Are From Mars........thread who have some fire down under apparently
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2020, 08:28:47 AM »
 :lol Apparently.