Author Topic: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now Playing-Armor Of Light  (Read 22386 times)

Offline max_security

Wolf Hoffman , I can still hear that guitar tone , freaking huge !!! That Metal Heart album has some fantastic guitar throughout.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Metal Heart is one of my all time favorite albums. That outro to Bound To Fail is spine tingling.
Yes...that tone!!!

Here's a couple of shots from the Dio tour the following summer.

June 18, 1986
Providence Civic Center

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
With the Thundersteel album, the title track is the only song that I could really get into. When you posted the Restless Breed album, I mentioned the first time I heard of Riot was the Restless Breed video on VH1. But thinking about it, I may have heard a live version of Thundersteel on some Wacken compilation album in the late 90s first. Either way, between that live version of Thundersteel and the Restless Breed video, I knew this band kicked ass. But overall the Thundersteel album is such a huge departure from the original Riot sound, it’s hard to consider it true Riot. Still great stuff, but I also find Tony Moore’s vocals to be a tad too helium. Not quite Nitro level, but not vocals I can listen to over and over again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Kade, have you heard The Privilege Of Power yet?

I have not.

Three words.

Dance. Of. Death.

(The actual music starts about 1:26 into the track)

I'll wait until we get to the album mate to check it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

I did see Twisted Sister open for Dio the previous summer though and they were great.

I saw that tour as well, in New Haven.  I sat in the first couple rows of the bowl back behind the floor, and there was a big fight on the floor during Twisted.  For most of Twisted's set all I saw were chairs going back and forth in front of Dee.

It was a heavy show, and made me really appreciate Twisted Sister.  The two "big hits" are so different than what we got live. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Late to the party, but holy nice discovery Tacman!

I only knew the first three albums from the Dad's vault and this Thundersteel blew me out of the water. Gotta put it instantly amongst the best albums of 1984, not exactly a pushover year for metal.

Mark Reale is a beast here, a strange cross between Randy and Oliva, with a sprinkle of modal Satrianisms on top. I'm not particularly in love with the singer, and I like him best when he goes for the Sign of the Crimson Cross tone.

Highlights for me: Fight or Fall solo, Bloodstreets intro, drums always everywhere, Voldemort on the tank.

Question: have they ever considered seriously investing in Europe promotion? They could have been as popular as Manowar here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Promotion and support were always their problem. They did tour Europe and Japan for the most part over the years. Really nothing in the US.

I will post Privilege later today and then it’s on to the DiMeo Era, which I believe most of you will be quite impressed by.

@JJ..I thought you were a big Thundersteel guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Privilege Of Power

Released February 28, 1990

1. On Your Knees
2. Metal Soldiers
3. Runaway
4. Killer
5. Dance Of Death
6. Storming The Gates Of Hell
7. Maryanne
8. Little Miss Death
9. Black Leather And Glittering Steel
10. Racing With The Devil On A Spanish Highway-Revisited

Tony Moore-Vocals
Mark Reale-Guitars
Don Van Stavern-Bass
Bobby Jarzombek-Drums

The second album of the Tony Moore Era is quite similar to Thundersteel. However, Steve Loeb had a vision for the album that the band didn't necessarily share. Loeb was pushing the band to do something that had to do with social commentary. Of course none of the songs do that, and inspired by the soundbites on Operation Mindcrime, he adds a bunch of samples to the beginning of a number of songs. He also has the idea of adding horns..fucking horns to the mix. So while the album is kick ass, what you get is an odd album.

Joe Lynn Turner appears on Killer. Also, while Riot has and would continue to do covers, one of their best is their cover of Al Di Meola’s Racing With The Devil On A Spanish Highway.

After the recording, bassist Don Van Stavern leaves the band. He's basically fed up with the management, contracts, and lack of money.

Bobby Jarzombek brings in bassist Pete Perez, who also plays on the Jarzombek brothers' Spastic Ink project.

Riot would also add touring guitarist Mike Flyntz, who remains a key member to this day.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now playing-Privilege
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
Half-way through the first spin of this one and I already like it WAY more than the last one. Killer is awesome with 80's metal riffs, scorching leads, JLT, and a horn section!  :omg:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »
I remember reading a review of this album on the nolifetilmetal site (if you have never checked it out, I recommend this site.  Great reviews on thousands of albums).  He mentioned that this was a good album but was very annoying based on the interludes and snippets between songs.

First time listening to these songs and I agree, way too much interludes that take away from the songs themselves, which are great.  Horn section, no thanks lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
Alright, keen to check this one out.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2020, 03:17:20 PM »
Best album yet. The segues are a bit of a pain but the album is a cracker. Those vocals 😱🤘

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2020, 03:24:43 PM »
I never realised there was such a break between Thundersteel and this one.

EDIT:  Fuck, I thought Thundersteel was like 1984 or something.  Huh!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2020, 03:27:43 PM »

Kade you get detention for your lack of homework.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »

Kade you get detention for your lack of homework.

No need for Tim to send me, I've put myself there.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
He also has the idea of adding horns..fucking horns to the mix.

and what awesome horns they are!

So my introduction to Riot was picking up an import of the Japan Star Box compilation which includes the song Killer and maybe a couple other from this album.  As soon as the horns came in on Killer, I was like "I know this horn sound - this is Tower of Power!"  looked at the credits and sure enough there they were.  This immediately piqued my interest in the band so I sought out their other albums (knowing the horns were a one-shot deal on this album).
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »
I have the files, so I had my son edit out the intro noise, so the songs pick up right where they start. It's much better that way.

I actually like this album better than Thundersteel.

Dance Of Death is the best song off of either IMO. But Storming The Gates Of Hell and Black Leather And Glittering Steel fucking rule.

Black Leather, along with Metal Soldiers has a wicked Halford/Priest Painkiller Era feel.

And Kade, Thundersteel was 1988.  ;D

@Hath, you're always welcome here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2020, 04:53:48 AM »
Yeah I realise that, hence my comment haha.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2020, 04:07:01 PM »
Fucking crickets...

I think The Privilege Of Power album is amazing and I'll take it over Thundersteel easy.

OK....on to the..

Mike Dimeo Era

So a few words about the Mike DiMeo albums. I was not at all familiar with these albums, but I have to say, these 6 albums are a goldmine. For one, they are amazingly consistent. The band had their longest era of stability, other than the drummers, but that was really due to Bobby Jarzombek becoming in demand by Halford, Fates, etc...
In fact, both John Macaluso and Bobby Rondinelli would record Riot albums during this period.

Mike DiMeo came to Riot after being Ricthie Blackmore's pick to replace Joe Lynn Turner in Deep Purple. Seems the record company insisted Ian Gillan return. Deep Purple's loss was Riot's gain. Musically, Riot makes a major change in their style again. Departed bassist Don Van Stavern brought a real metal influence heard on both Thundersteel and Privilege. With newly added second guitarist Mike Flyntz and DiMeo now in the band, the music is more melodic hard rock. I actually find the guitar playing quite European. I hear Blackmore, Gary Moore, and Brian Robertson. I even hear some Accept in a number of solos.

One issue that would continue to plague the band is that their lame cover songs. More on those as we go through the albums.

Again, anyone thrown off by the two Tony Moore albums should find comfort in the DiMeo albums.

If you like Joe Lynn Turner Era Rainbow, you should love the DiMeo Era.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2020, 05:07:10 PM »
I had cheated and listened earlier to some of the Mike DiMeo songs. Sounded awesome but I’ll have to listen closer as Tim brings up each album. Rainbow to the max

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
I had cheated and listened earlier to some of the Mike DiMeo songs. Sounded awesome but I’ll have to listen closer as Tim brings up each album. Rainbow to the max

Jason, what about Privilege? Total Priest vibe. Metal Soldiers and Black Leather And Glittering Steel.

Dance Of Death :metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
Nightbreaker

Released July 22, 1993-Japan/1994-Europe/1999 US Reissue

1. Soldier
2. Destiny
3. Burn
4. In Your Eyes
5. Nightbreaker
6. Medicine Man
7. Silent Scream
8. Magic Maker
9. A Whiter Shade Of Pale
10. Babylon
11. Outlaw
12. Faded Hero (Bonus Track)

Mike DiMeo-Vocals
Mark Reale-Guitars
Mike Flyntz-Guitars
Pete Perez-Bass
Bobby Jarzombek-Drums

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
As you can see, Nightbreaker had three different covers depending on where and when it was released. Seemed Riot was only releasing albums in Japan for a while.

This album, while not my favorite of the DiMeo Six, is still pretty solid. It containd three covers, Burn (which is OK), A Whiter Shade Of Pale(why??), and their own Outlaw, which truly does nothing. At least the originals are really good.

My two favorite songs are the title track and Babylon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

Jason, what about Privilege? Total Priest vibe. Metal Soldiers and Black Leather And Glittering Steel.

Dance Of Death :metal :metal

I only played a few tunes from that era and all had a Rainbow vibe. I’ll check out the other tunes

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Starting to listen to Nightbreaker for the first time. Ok this one definitely doesn’t have much of a Rainbow vibe but is very much  :metal

The title track and Babylon are great. Also Burn is my all time favorite Deep Purple track, so digging the cover.

Mike’s vocals remind me of Johnny Gioeli. I know the Chadster is a big fan of Hardline and some ARP, so I can see him digging this era of Riot

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
And good luck trying to find a hard copy of Nighbreaker. On amazon there are used copies going for $60, $70 and $970 lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't forgotten about this Tim, will be checking out POP.  Probably Sunday night now but will try and check out Nightbreaker also.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And good luck trying to find a hard copy of Nighbreaker. On amazon there are used copies going for $60, $70 and $970 lol

$970?! WTF?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
POP.........holy shit.  Excuse me while I play this again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have zero issues with the long intro and the samples.

On Your Knees is a cracker straight up and the horns work so fucking well it's not funny.  The horns and a lot of Mark's playing especially on this one and Killer reminds me heavily of Savatage and Streets, mainly Jesus Saves, but a get a strong Streets vibe a lot here.

Metal Soldiers is Riot doing Priest almost better than Priest.  Cracking, a absolute stomper.

Runaway is a great ballad.  A bit of Dokken feel and even reminds me of Skid's Row I Remember You also.  Great vocals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Killer is fresh, love the kind of American soul vibe here, and again lots of Savatage Streets sounds going on here.  JLT sounds wonderful.

Dance of Death.  Those vocals in the chorus, wow.  Ripper.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:08:58 AM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Those battle like trumpets in Gates of Hell, epic.  Love the classical piece represented in the chorus.

Maryanne is a perfect late 80's, early 90's power ballad.  Great great chorus and tasty leads from Mark.  Catchy as fuck this one.

Little Miss Death.  Tony reminds me of John Arch here with his melodies.  Something different here but no lack in quality.  Lots of different contrasts going on here, very cool.  Tasty lead work with what's going on musically too with the different colours going on with the chord progressions.  Very impressive.