Author Topic: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now Playing-Armor Of Light  (Read 22387 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Why did everyone give Mark the advice not to hire Rhett?

The video for Restless Breed was the first time I ever heard of Riot. It was on some VH1 show and I went out and bought the album right away. Standout tracks are obviously the title track but also CIA and Hard Lovin Man.

This is probably the heaviest Riot album up to this point and Rhett has a pretty gritty voice, but it works well with the music. I would still lean towards Guy as the better fit for the band and this album isn’t quite as good as Fire Down Under.

Did Riot ever get pressured by their label to change their sound to be more mainstream and accessible to try and get success? Something like what happened with Tygers of Pan Tang?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So apparently they were pressured by Capitol to be more accessible on Fire Down Under. In fact, Capitol didn't even want to release the album. But they also didn't want to release Riot from their contract. They basically said, sue us. But there was pressure from the fans, especially in Europe, to release Riot from their contract so Fire Down Under would have a chance to be released. Eventually they relented and Elektra picked them up.

People around the band wanted someone like Guy. Rhett was in the complete opposite direction. At that time thrash and hair metal started to splinter from the hard rock tree, and Rhett did not help Riot in either.

Unfortunately Restless Breed didn't make any money, the label was never really behind them, and they would be dropped from Elektra.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
After listening to this one, I'm not sure what to think.  I think it's not as consistent as the others if I'm being honest.  Songs like the title track, CIA and Loanshark are absolute rippers and probably better than most on the first 3 albums but there was some songs there like When I Was Young and Over to You I didn't really care for.  Showdown had great guitar work but again wasn't a favourite.  Violent Crimes is a ripper too.

I can see why you like the guys voice Tim, he gives off that early Rush vibe I was feeling too with a slight Geddy like tone to his voice.  The guitar work is of course top notch and still giving off heaps of early Priest vibes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome Kade. I'm glad you checked it out. I find the rhythm guitars way to low in the mix. Check out the live version from the EP of Hard Lovin' Man, and hear the really cool rhythm guitar line. Fucking bad ass.

I actually think you'll like the next album more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I picked up Fire Down Under when it was released on the strength of hearing Swords and Tequila, but I don't recall if it was from the radio or hearing it at a friends. I pretty much wore the vinyl out that year. My biggest memory, that involuntarily jumps into my mind whenever I hear these songs now, was my baby girl. She was six months old when I got the album and by the time I was pretty much sick of it, she was dancing around the living room to Feel The Same. I loved every song but Feel the Same, Outlaw, Altar of the King, and No lies were, and are, the real highlights for me. An absolute must for any metal fan's collection, IMO.

As for Restless Breed (album) I bought it right when it came out, but it never found a place in my heart like the previous album. Forrester was a good addition, but I never thought his voice quite fit right. I only really loved C.I.A. and Restless Bread (song). Though, like all Riot albums, absorbing Reale's solos, no matter the song, was worth the price of admission.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gregg, thank you for sharing that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I did think that initially with the rhythm guitars.  Hard Lovin' Man has a great riff which made the thin guitars stick out instantly.  Will have to check that live album later.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Gregg, thank you for sharing that.

Your welcome, my friend.

That same baby girl has given me four beautiful granddaughters...the eldest of which is graduating high school in two months and will be going to college in the fall. It just blows my mind to think about that.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I did think that initially with the rhythm guitars.  Hard Lovin' Man has a great riff which made the thin guitars stick out instantly.  Will have to check that live album later.

Yeah, the riff in the chorus is heavy as shit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Their riffs in general so far are mostly very classy and well put together.  Nothing over the top, but really nice, heavy and very rocking!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Born In America

Released October 14, 1983

1. Born In America
2. You Burn In Me
3. Wings Of Fire
4. Running From The Law
5. Devil Woman
6. Vigilante Killer
7. Heavy Metal Machine
8. Where Soldiers Rule
9. Gunfighter
10. Promised Land

Lineup:

Rhett Forrester-Vocals
Mark Reale-Guitar
Rick Ventura-Guitar
Kip Lemming-Bass
Sandy Slavin-Drums

After a break, Riot found themselves without a label. Steve Loeb managed to get them onto something called Quality Records. Born In America is for all intents an indie release. The whole time, Loeb is fighting with his longtime partner Billy Arnell, but they manage to complete the album. Unfortunately, nothing happened. No tours, very few shows, and the band would break up not long after its release.
Riot was basically over at this point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When I first got Born In America, I thought the production was brutal. It has an amazingly fat drum sound, and at least you could hear the rhythm guitars.
The first 4 songs are amazing. Running From The Law rules!! The second half isn't nearly as great, but it still kicks ass all the way through.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ah shit, starting to fall behind.  Haven't checked that live stuff yet.  Might have to come back to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't skip it. Hit that first and then Born In America. I think you'll really like the live EP.

I have some filler posts before moving on to Thundersteel. So no rush.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked out Running from the Law for the first time I believe. Yeah that song definitely kicks ass  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't skip it. Hit that first and then Born In America. I think you'll really like the live EP.

I have some filler posts before moving on to Thundersteel. So no rush.

Ok mate.  Wasn't there two live things you posted?  Definitely got work to catch up on.  Gotta go to work so will be tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Nevertheless, I'll be caught up by Sunday night.  I own Thundersteel too so can chuck that one in the car at anytime when we get to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just checked out Running from the Law for the first time I believe. Yeah that song definitely kicks ass  :metal

Hell yes, bro! :metal :metal

Ok mate.  Wasn't there two live things you posted?  Definitely got work to catch up on.  Gotta go to work so will be tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Nevertheless, I'll be caught up by Sunday night.  I own Thundersteel too so can chuck that one in the car at anytime when we get to it.

A live album with Guy and an EP with Rhett. Both called...Riot Live. ;D

You can go back to the Guy one, but you'll like the Rhett EP.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Heavy Metal Machine  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Heavy Metal Machine  :metal

:metal

You get a star on your forehead!

Offline Zoom E

When I first got Born In America, I thought the production was brutal. It has an amazingly fat drum sound, and at least you could hear the rhythm guitars.
The first 4 songs are amazing. Running From The Law rules!! The second half isn't nearly as great, but it still kicks ass all the way through.

The production ruined Born in America for me. I’ll have to give it a spin. It's probably been decades since I listened to this.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I know this is a page or 2 late, but I wanted to chime in...

I gave a cursory listen to these two albums a couple weeks ago when Riot was first mentioned in the cool kids thread, and wasn’t too stuffed.  After having given them a proper listen, I found more to enjoy

Standout moment was the opening/main riff of Rock City.  I’m getting some serious deja vu here… maybe with April Wine?  Aerosmith?
Overdrive pre-chorus got me excited… then the chorus just fell flat.
Raw sound… boy, is that an understatement
Gregg calls this party rock; I call this jj-rock.

But still, It takes a lot for me to really get captivated by music that could’ve/should’ve been on my radar in my teen years.  This could have been really formative music for me 35-40 years ago.  Now …. not quite what tickles my fancy.

Narita… I really enjoyed this one a lot more.  Production was better.  Title track + Here We Com Again was a great combo.  Overall, very much better, and I think I squirrel this one away in my “Classic” folder on Spotify.  Which means I’ll likely only get to it every couple of years.

Carry on... I'll try to catch up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Thanks Chad! I think you might actually like the DiMeo Era of the 2000's. We'll get there soon enough.

BTW, I agree with you on Overdrive’s chorus. It does let the song down a bit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:54:18 AM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Chad! I think you might actually like the DiMeo Era of the 2000's. We'll get there soon enough.

BTW, I agree with you on Overdrive’s chorus. It does let the song down a bit.

Tim I think you mentioned that there were Riot albums even you haven’t listened to before, and that you would be listening to for the first time. I’m assuming some of these will include their 90s and early 2000s material?

You mentioned to Chad that he may enjoy the DiMeo material. I jumped a head and listened to some of those songs. What a change in sound. Great music but total Rainbow deja vu!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I wasn’t familiar with the DiMeo Era. But it’s pretty freaking awesome I must say. He sounds a ton like Joe Lynn Turner with a little Coverdale.

Offline Lowdz

Awesome Kade. I'm glad you checked it out. I find the rhythm guitars way to low in the mix. Check out the live version from the EP of Hard Lovin' Man, and hear the really cool rhythm guitar line. Fucking bad ass.

This is my only quibble with this album, the guitar lacks ‘oomph’ as we say here in the north of England. Songs are generally excellent and I like Rhett”s voice. Not sure wher3 Kade”s getting Geddy Lee - are you listening on the right speed?

Not really enjoying When I Was Young.

Offline Lowdz

On Born In America now. Loving the tougher production, great songs. Devil Woman cover isn’t as good as Shy”s version, lacks a bit of power again. Strange as this album rocks more than the previous ones.

I’ve noticed a few borrowed riffs and melodies across the albums. Vigilante Killer is Deep Purple’s Stormbringer by another name.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This is my only quibble with this album, the guitar lacks ‘oomph’ as we say here in the north of England. Songs are generally excellent and I like Rhett”s voice. Not sure wher3 Kade”s getting Geddy Lee - are you listening on the right speed?

Not really enjoying When I Was Young.

I just get a big Rush feel on some of this stuff, and yeah, I hear a littel Geddy Lee not much, but it might be because of the whole Rush feel I'm getting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Riot did a lot of covers, especially in the DiMeo Era, but When I Was Young is one of the ones I really like. I think Rhett is great on it.

Offline Lowdz

Riot did a lot of covers, especially in the DiMeo Era, but When I Was Young is one of the ones I really like. I think Rhett is great on it.

Didn’t realise that was a cover.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Didn’t realise that was a cover.

Yes. The original is by Eric Burdon And The Animals.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The 2 Slayers

How many of you fogeys actually recall a time when there were TWO Slayer bands? I do, and one of them would play a major part in the Riot story going forward.

There's the California based Slayer, which of course we all know...but there was the Texas based Slayer. They even released an EP under the Slayer name, Prepare To Die in 1983.
If you are interested, here is the link.

Some band photos:

There was even a Slayer vs Slayer concert in San Antonio:

Bootleg here

Drummer Dave McLain would actually go on and play with Machine Head.

Bassist Don Van Stavern..well..way more on him later..

Seems the California based Slayer owned the rights to the name, so Texas Slayer became SA Slayer (being from San Antonio).

SA Slayer would release the Go For The Throat album in 1988, who now included guitarist Ron Jarzombek. Link.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Narita-band

L-R: McClain, Cooper, Van Stavern, Reale

So in the early 80's Mark basically relocated to San Antonio. He formed a friendship with SA Slayer bassist Don Van Stavern, and even formed a band with 3 of the SA Slayer band members...calling themselves Narita. Narita basically wrote and demoed a number of songs on Born In America. According to Van Stavern, those are Gunfighter, Wings Of Fire, Heavy Metal Machine, & Running From The Law.

In 1985, Narita recorded a 3 song demo:
The Feeling Is Gone
Liar
Thundersteel
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:19:14 AM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The last two posts are just something to consider.

Thundersteel coming Monday, so it should give everyone a chance to catch up. Riot is about to take a major left turn.

Will also have a monster Rhett Forrester post over the weekend.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:07:25 PM by TAC »

Offline max_security

Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: The TWO Slayers
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2020, 05:55:39 PM »
I'll be hearing Thundersteel for the first time sometime this weekend. Something tells me that the guitar playing will be a lot more fluid and complex compared to previous ones just judging by the recording date. Like all Metal from the time , there is Pre and Post Yngwie Malmsteen influence of 1983-84.