Author Topic: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread: Now Playing-Armor Of Light  (Read 22408 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Welcome to the RIOT Discography/Listening Party Thread

We've spent some time talking about Riot in The Cool Thread, and we've tossed around the idea of going through the albums...so...let's do this!

Riot started out with a string of amazing albums. Most of us are pretty familiar with those. But they quietly put together quite a lengthy and underrated discography.

The band's architect was Mark Reale, who tragically passed away in 2012 at the age of 56 after years of battling Crohn's Disease. Riot's story is filled with tragedy and challenges, but there's an undeniable perseverance from Mark and the band.

To help prepare for the thread, I would ask everyone to watch the amazing "Fight Or Fall" Riot documentary put together by The Metal Voice podcast guys. They do an amazing job telling the band's story. Break it off in chunks. It's literally almost 3.5 hours.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I'm also posting their discography in the OP. Hopefully everyone will be able to keep up as we go. I'm listening to a number of these albums for the first time myself.

With Guy Speranza on vocals:

Rock City-1977

Narita-1979

Fire Down Under-1981

With Rhett Forrester on vocals:

Restless Breed-1982

Born In America-1983

With Tony Moore on vocals:

Thundersteel-1988

The Privilege Of Power-1990

With Mike DiMeo on vocals:

Nightbreaker-1993

The Brethren Of The Long House-1995

Inishmore-1998

Sons Of Society-1999

Through The Storm-2002

Army Of One-2006

With Tony Moore on vocals:

Immortal Soul-2011

With Todd Michael Hall on vocals:

Unleash The Fire-2014

Armor Of Light-2018

I realize this thread will attract a fairly small number of visitors. I would ask that as we go through the albums, please check out the albums and let's talk about them. I'm putting some work into this so hopefully you guys can say more than "cool album". I'll start with Rock City probably Monday evening.

So please check this band out, and start in on the documentary over the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:56:30 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The RIOT Discography and Listening Party Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 07:25:04 PM »
Following big time  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »
Following big time  :metal

You better do more than follow. I'm expecting some major contributions!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
Riot blows.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
Stop!
Not true.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »
 :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »
They don’t blow. They suck.

Following, but I don’t see any chance I’ve got a spare 3.5 hours of disposable time to dedicate to a documentary.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 04:24:01 AM »
I'm in.

Although, Tim, there's fuck all chance I have 3.5 hours spare to watch a Riot doco.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 04:44:01 AM »
When are we looking to start listening to the first album and how long between albums Tim?  Gotta get prepared.

Offline max_security

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 06:22:49 AM »
It's been a really long time since I've listened to Riot. I am familiar with the 77-83 albums but was not aware that they did anything after that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 06:51:42 AM »
As a casual fan I’m in. There’s loads of their albums I haven’t heard.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Tim runs a tight ship in the Riot discography and listening party thread. Lots of homework and assignments

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »
Tim runs a tight ship in the Riot discography and listening party thread. Lots of homework and assignments

You know it! :lol

When are we looking to start listening to the first album and how long between albums Tim?  Gotta get prepared.

You can start anytime. That’s why I posted the whole discography in the OP, to give everyone a head start on the albums they’re not familiar with. I’m going to post Rock City sometime on Monday. I’m planning on staying on point so probably no more than 3 days between albums.

As far as the documentary goes, the first two parts are like 40 min each and the 3rd one, which is actually the best part of the story is like an hour and a half.
It’s not required.  ;D

But it is quite well done and informative.

Offline max_security

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »
Brushing up on the first one now. Just to say I feel that there are a lot of bands that were Riot fans and never reference them as influences ( hi Steve Harris , Malmsteen , Michael Schenker , DiGarmo ). Must have been that stupid mystery mammal they chose for their album covers. Way ahead of anything else at the time in many ways .

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »
Brushing up on the first one now. Just to say I feel that there are a lot of bands that were Riot fans and never reference them as influences ( hi Steve Harris , Malmsteen , Michael Schenker , DiGarmo ). Must have been that stupid mystery mammal they chose for their album covers. Way ahead of anything else at the time in many ways .

I distinctly remember when Metallica did the Electra anniversary album back in the day where a current Electra artist covered a former one, James said that their first thought was to do a Riot song, but they felt that would've been too predictable, so they decided to do Stone Cold Crazy instead.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 04:56:35 PM »
Must have been that stupid mystery mammal they chose for their album covers.

So according to the documentary, the genesis of the seal was an alternate reality where the seals come back and make humans pay for clubbing seals. Or something along those lines.

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
I've been a big fan of Riot for years. Very underrated band with a diverse discography.  so i think i Rare (at least that i've found) for a band to have album's like Riot City, Thundersteel and Irishmore.

I'm a big fan of the Rhett Forrester years. The Mike DiMeo years  were really good imo, a lot of the stuff sounded like Rainbow.

The Tony Moore albums  were a much different sound.  Much heavier.

I like the last 2 albums, its good they have kept the band going.

I think their popularity got hurt by Quiet Riot, which is a shame cause they are much better imo

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 05:03:42 PM »
I'll join on the fun. I've never listened to Riot, but they sound like they might be right up my alley.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
I'll join on the fun. I've never listened to Riot, but they sound like they might be right up my alley.

Good to have you. Just good old classic hard rock.

I'm a big fan of the Rhett Forrester years. The Mike DiMeo years  were really good imo, a lot of the stuff sounded like Rainbow.

Love Rhett big time, and got into the band in the Restless Breed Era. The Dimeo Era sounds a lot like Rainbow because DiMeo sounds just like Joe Lynn Turner with some David Coverdale mixed in. I wasn't really familiar with this era, but I'm working my way through it.

I like the last 2 albums, its good they have kept the band going.

Unleash The Fire is one of the best metal albums of the past few years.

I think their popularity got hurt by Quiet Riot, which is a shame cause they are much better imo

When I was in high school (Class of '86), I would tell people I loved Riot and they were like, "Quiet Riot?". I wanted to fucking punch them.  The thing is, you really can't argue with how good Metal Health is, and frankly, Riot didn't do much with Born In America.

I actually had a Riot pin hanging from my rearview mirror back then.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 10:33:35 PM »
The first time I heard Riot was when I bought the Castle Donnington Monsters of Rock 1980 live album. Every song on that album was great, including Road Racing by Riot  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 09:22:54 AM »
I had that album with a different cover. A quick trip to the attic....

And hell yes, I loved this compilation :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 11:26:33 AM »
So my love of Riot began in the spring/summer of 1982. This was the summer between my 8th and 9th grades. They had a minor hit with Showdown, which got some radio lay. They also toured through here 3rd on the bill with Rainbow and Scorpions. I vividly remember this show coming, but I was a year away from going to my first concert. I ended up getting Restless Breed in a fantastic Christmas haul that year.

I followed that up buying Narita on the same day I bought Piece Of Mind. Different singer. Hmm. But this was really cool. I eventually got Fire Down Under which was also great. They would then very quietly release Born In America, and then they seemed to disappear.

Even though I was aware of Rock City, I wouldn't get it until sometime in late 1993, through an import mail order.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
Are you going to post a write-up of Rock City, Tim, or do we just fire away at whatever album?

[edit] Ha ha...premature
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:58:40 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
Rock City

Released November 10, 1977

Album link: Rock City-1977

1. Desperation
2. Warrior
3. Rock City
4. Overdrive
5. Angel
6. Tokyo Rose
7. Heart Of Fire
8. Gypsy Queen
9. This Is What I Get

Lineup:
Guy Speranza-Vocals
Mark Reale-Guitar
Lou Kouvaris-Guitar
Phil Feit/Jimmy Iommi-Bass
Peter Bitelli-Drums

Riot began as teenage friends Mark Reale, Peter Bitelli, and Phil Feit formed a band. Phil would actually go on to play in Billy Idol's band in the early 80's.

Riot released their first album in late 1977. The style is an extension of late 70's hard rock, channeling KISS, Aerosmith, UFO, and Thin Lizzy at various points.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »
Not too much to write about other than the usual young band stuff. Getting together, getting signed and releasing a debut.

To me, there's some really cool writing on this. Classic late 70's hard rock.

The strength of the album, for me, is the three song run of Warrior-Rock City-Overdrive.

Warrior still gives me goosebumps, and the current incarnation of Riot V still plays it.

Gypsey Queen has a strong Thin Lizzy feel. You almost think Brian Robertson is on the track.

The final track, This Is What I Get, sounds like something KISS would do. Really simple and fun feel to it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Are you going to post a write-up of Rock City, Tim, or do we just fire away at whatever album?

I'm going to go in order.

Gregg, were you aware of Rock City when it was released? If so, what were your thoughts. I'd love some real time perspective, especially on these real early albums.

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »
Rock City is really cool. Warrior/Rock City/Overdrive/Tokyo Rose are just awesome  :metal

Although that album cover  :rollin I'm not sure its their worst but its up there  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »

I'm going to go in order.

Gregg, were you aware of Rock City when it was released? If so, what were your thoughts. I'd love some real time perspective, especially on these real early albums.

No. I didn't hear Rock City until the early 80's. By then, I wasn't really into, what I thought of as, party rock. I enjoyed, but never loved RC. In fact, I've never owned the album. I heard it plenty when hanging with my friends  because one of my pals couldn't stop living in the past and played mid seventies rock/metal non-stop. Heart of Fire has always stood out as the most interesting song but the entire album is chock full of awesome lead guitar. I've always been partial to blues based rock leads and Reale was quite gifted. I find the riffs a little unimaginative for my tastes and the production isn't quite up to par. I thought This Is What I Get was lame as hell. Clearly it was intended to get some radio play but as far as I know it never made it.

Rock City was probably great as background music at a '70s teen aged kegger in the suburbs of Salt Lake City.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2020, 02:31:43 PM »
Listening now.

That outro solo in Warrior is beautiful.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »
Listened to Rock City and its a great classic rock/metal album.  It definitely has a raw sound to it, similar to the first few Saxon albums.  Also has a bit of a southern rock tinge to it as well.  To me this sound defines New Wave of British Heavy Metal.  And considering this album came out before NWOBHM really took off in the late 70s/early 80s, would you consider them an influence to that genre or am I off on that one?  And they are from America, so that's ironic if they were an influence  :lol

Warrior is the standout track to me so far.

I would think an album and sound like this had next to no chance at being successful with the mainstream audience.  To me this is an underground metal album and even though the album kicks ass, I'm guessing these album covers and the name (too close to Quiet Riot) held them back with more success in the metal community.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »
I thought This Is What I Get was lame as hell.

I've always considered it one of the weaker tracks. My first thought was that it reminded me of Any Way You Want It from KISS Alive II.

Listening the other day, it didn't bother me.

I would think an album and sound like this had next to no chance at being successful with the mainstream audience.  To me this is an underground metal album and even though the album kicks ass, I'm guessing these album covers and the name (too close to Quiet Riot) held them back with more success in the metal community.

Restless Breed was out for almost a year before Metal Health came out. I'm sure after Quiet Riot hit huge, it was tough having a name so close. But Elektra dropped Riot after Restless Breed. Born In America was for all intents, an indie release. They basically were done at that point.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2020, 02:42:05 PM »
Gives me vibes of earlier Priest in terms of the production in some ways.  Old Rush too.

Even though I'm a metal guy and being born in 84, this old school rock 'n' roll style of music I never really took too like most of you guys.  bands like Riot, UFO, Kiss, Foreigner, AC/DC, Aerosmith, that sort of style I just never really found a real deep love like I do with the Maiden's, Priest, Sabbath etc.  UFO I'm quite partial to even though I haven't explored all their stuff thoroughly and Thin Lizzy I'm a big fan of too, but you get what I'm saying.

I just find this style, really enjoyable but lacks a certain depth for the most part that really gets me going.  I'm enjoying listening to this but it's a style I never really feel the urge to want to listen to it a lot of the time.

The solos in Overdrive again, killer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
For the record, I only own and know Fire Down Under and Thundersteel.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »
For the record, I only own and know Fire Down Under and Thundersteel.

After you watch the six hour documentary, there will be a Riot exam from Tim.  Short and long answer questions along with an essay.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »
I just find this style, really enjoyable but lacks a certain depth for the most part that really gets me going.  I'm enjoying listening to this but it's a style I never really feel the urge to want to listen to it a lot of the time.

This was me at the time I first heard this album, and largely to this very day. I have some nostalgia for this type of music--it always reminds me of the sex-drugs-R&R years of my youth--but I just don't reach for it now. That being said, if I would have known of this album at the time it was released, I would have been all over it.