Author Topic: The Politics Of The Coronavirus  (Read 19223 times)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
Re: The Politics Of The Coronavirus
« Reply #980 on: June 27, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
Politicians have devolved to simply be contrarian to each other - no matter the topic, no matter the desired outcome.  And it's bled into society as a whole (for the most part).

I have no faith in humanity.

I agree, humanity is at a low point right now as far as how we treat each other as strangers and the political divide is massive.  That's one of the reasons I left the Republican party years ago.  I just couldn't stand it any more.  They talked about rights and liberty, but as far as I could tell, it was all lip service.  So I left and paved my own way.

I do have faith in individuals though.  Such as you and the rest of the folks on this forum.  A bunch of really great people as far as I can tell.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #981 on: June 27, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »
Politicians have devolved to simply be contrarian to each other - no matter the topic, no matter the desired outcome.  And it's bled into society as a whole (for the most part).

I agree, humanity is at a low point right now as far as how we treat each other as strangers and the political divide is massive.  That's one of the reasons I left the Republican party years ago.  I just couldn't stand it any more.  They talked about rights and liberty, but as far as I could tell, it was all lip service.  So I left and paved my own way.

I do have faith in individuals though.  Such as you and the rest of the folks on this forum.  A bunch of really great people as far as I can tell.

Stick around much longer, and you'll learn the truth!
Looking at my most recent posts, it almost seems like I'm trying to become the Common Sense of DTF :lol
You'd have an easier time trying to bring the internet to the Amish.
Turns out chlamydia tastes pretty good.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #982 on: June 28, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »

Stick around much longer, and you'll learn the truth!

:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #983 on: June 29, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »

To me it's our largest problem, and getting rid of Trump isn't going to solve it even a little bit.   

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #984 on: June 29, 2020, 03:27:06 PM »

To me it's our largest problem, and getting rid of Trump isn't going to solve it even a little bit.   

Likely due to how politics has devolved over time as well. Black and white, us vs. them, we’re right and you’re wrong, forget gray area and nuance. Years ago, I watched an episode of Politically Incorrect where Bill Maher said he’d never want to be a politician. You can’t switch positions and say that you learned something, lest you be labeled as a waffler, flip-flopper, DINO/RINO, etc. and commit political suicide. And that seems to be getting more true as time goes on.

But I guess the question is did the contrarian politicians breed the divisive social climate, or did the divisive social climate breed the contrarian politicians? Maybe a little of both?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #985 on: June 29, 2020, 03:30:34 PM »
Over the weekend, I watched a documentary on Netflix called Tricky Dick and the Man in Black, about when Nixon invited Johnny Cash to the White House.

As they describe the historical context, how things were going in the country at the time, I realized that hardly any damn thing has changed in all this time. 

BTW, the documentary is good, watch it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #986 on: June 30, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »

Likely due to how politics has devolved over time as well. Black and white, us vs. them, we’re right and you’re wrong, forget gray area and nuance. Years ago, I watched an episode of Politically Incorrect where Bill Maher said he’d never want to be a politician. You can’t switch positions and say that you learned something, lest you be labeled as a waffler, flip-flopper, DINO/RINO, etc. and commit political suicide. And that seems to be getting more true as time goes on.

But I guess the question is did the contrarian politicians breed the divisive social climate, or did the divisive social climate breed the contrarian politicians? Maybe a little of both?

My opinion only, but I think it's a synergistic effect, each amplifying the other.   A politician gets some traction from an "us-versus-them" platform - some of Bush's responses to the burgeoning terror threat fall here - and people start to adhere to that.   The more they adhere, the more the less popular politicians will pander to that mindset.  Then the cycle repeats.  Certainly as attention-spans decrease, and we rely more and more on media and the politicians themselves rather than our own knowledge and analysis, the more things like "deplorable" resonate.   

We're also a rather insecure population (there are too many examples to cite, many I've already cited here).  It seems more and more of us have a greater need to be "right" than to find consensus, and in many cases, "being right" means "destroying", "annihilating", crushing", or "owning" those that disagree with us.  The more extreme (ideologically) the politician, the more these feelings are engendered (and while the brain goes immediately to Trump, it's not exclusive to him).  At a certain point, even the moderates get lumped in as the lines get more solidly drawn.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Head Judge of the Peanut Gallery
« Reply #987 on: June 30, 2020, 07:17:30 PM »

My opinion only, but I think it's a synergistic effect, each amplifying the other.   A politician gets some traction from an "us-versus-them" platform - some of Bush's responses to the burgeoning terror threat fall here - and people start to adhere to that.   

That's an interesting thought. "You're either with us, or against us".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #988 on: July 01, 2020, 05:00:47 AM »
Bill, I hadn’t thought of it in those terms, and I think you’re spot on. It’s a viscous cycle that simply exacerbates itself.

Nice post.
Looking at my most recent posts, it almost seems like I'm trying to become the Common Sense of DTF :lol
You'd have an easier time trying to bring the internet to the Amish.
Turns out chlamydia tastes pretty good.

Online kingshmegland

• Couch fucker
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #989 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:39 AM »
I've felt like this for a while. Nobody wants to reach over that line, have the hard conversations and make the world better.

It's easier not to engage.
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #990 on: July 01, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »
I've felt like this for a while. Nobody wants to reach over that line, have the hard conversations and make the world better.

It's easier not to engage.

Yep.  I think the Right is right on some things and I think the Left is right on some things.  It would be better for politicians to vote for liberty and good sense rather than the party line.