Author Topic: Songs that might never be played live again  (Read 13247 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Songs that might never be played live again
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2022, 04:58:53 PM »
I've been wondering why they didn't film one of The Astonishing shows and if they would still consider doing that at some point in the future (like a one-off special occasion).  Seems like that's the only tour that's not officially documented.

They might release TA live in audio form for the LNFA, but I'm not too optimistic about them playing the whole thing ever again.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2022, 05:09:36 PM »
I hope they do new/updated live versions of (before they retire):

Eve
Wither
Blind Faith
Take Away My Pain (either version)
To Live Forever
This is the Life
Hell's Kitchen
Prophets of War

If that was a real set list, I honestly would tell JP to his face, "I know we're friends and all, but I'm not going to bother coming to that show."  Aside from Take Away My Pain, you caught a significant portion of my bottom 10 with that list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
I hope they do new/updated live versions of (before they retire):

Eve
Wither
Blind Faith
Take Away My Pain (either version)
To Live Forever
This is the Life
Hell's Kitchen
Prophets of War

If that was a real set list, I honestly would tell JP to his face, "I know we're friends and all, but I'm not going to bother coming to that show."  Aside from Take Away My Pain, you caught a significant portion of my bottom 10 with that list.

Can he fire you?  :lol
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2022, 07:44:05 PM »
I think almost everything they've ever done is still on the table, with a few exceptions:

- ITPOE - too long for something that's not a fan favorite. They could just play Part 1 or 2 though.

I agree that I don’t think they’ll play it again. However, outside of this forum, that song is pretty popular.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2022, 08:35:49 PM »
Listened to Raw Dog today after a long time and enjoyed it a lot. Makes me wish to see it find its way to the setlist sometime, but that's very unlikely.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2022, 08:37:05 PM »
Listened to Raw Dog today after a long time and enjoyed it a lot. Makes me wish to see it find its way to the setlist sometime, but that's very unlikely.

Raw Dog gets a bad rap.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2022, 08:41:11 PM »
I can't say I ever want to see it played (or that I think it will be), but it's not bad.  When it was discussed recently in another thread, it had been so long since the handful of times I listened to it that I couldn't remember how it went at all, so I had to go back and listen.  Not bad at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2022, 02:51:02 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would love it if they heard it live. I remember years ago how the majority of the people on this forum LOVED to bag on The Shattered Fortress, saying it was garbage. But then the band played it on the Along for the Ride tour, and suddenly it seemed to click for almost everyone, and now you rarely see any negative comments about it here. So I'd expect something similar would happen if they performed Raw Dog live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2022, 06:46:15 AM »
Illumination Theory is one of my very favorites, but I feel that if they tried to play it without an orchestra, it would lose some of its magic.  So I'd kinda rather they didn't.
It lost a lot of magic on that tour then, because they played it without an orchestra every single night except the one they filmed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2022, 07:23:46 AM »
Illumination Theory is one of my very favorites, but I feel that if they tried to play it without an orchestra, it would lose some of its magic.  So I'd kinda rather they didn't.
It lost a lot of magic on that tour then, because they played it without an orchestra every single night except the one they filmed.

And it didn't bother. It sounds nice without it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Skeever

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2022, 09:03:13 AM »
I've been meaning to give all of Self-Titled a reevaluation. I just can't stand the production of that album, and so I don't listen very much. Maybe IT is better than I remembered...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »
I still can't understand what so many people don't seem to like about the production of DT12, and it remains my favorite MM-era album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2022, 11:12:22 AM »
I still can't understand what so many people don't seem to like about the production of DT12, and it remains my favorite MM-era album.
I could be wrong, but I believe most of it stems from MM's drums sounding so sterile, like drum samples (not unlike IaW) instead of real drums.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe most of it stems from MM's drums sounding so sterile, like drum samples (not unlike IaW) instead of real drums.
this is what you could read about that "issue" (which it isn't to me, hence the ""), except his parts weren't programmed (neither for The Astonishing btw), and yes, DT12 is among my alltime three.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »
this is what you could read about that "issue" (which it isn't to me, hence the ""), except his parts weren't programmed (neither for The Astonishing btw), and yes, DT12 is among my alltime three.

I guess my question would be, what drum samples on D12? I thought the only issue with drums is the tuning down of the snare which in no way deters from my enjoyment of the album.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »
Just to clarify, I'm not saying they're samples like on IaW, but the way they were mixed, they sound much more sterile and therefore like drum samples, similar to IaW, although IaW did have actual drum samples used.  ;)

Online Dream Team

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2022, 01:38:51 PM »
Yeah I think it’s mostly the snare. But the chocolate cake guitar tone is great, Myung is very audible, and everyone else is dialed in. Great song-writing on that album without a ton of wank. It’s come to be a top 5 album for me.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »

Agreed, it's my favorite MM-era album too. I guess the drum sound is not exactly my favorite, but honestly it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »

Agreed, it's my favorite MM-era album too. I guess the drum sound is not exactly my favorite, but honestly it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the album.

It does for me if I listen to it one song after another.  I enjoy most of the songs a lot (except for Along for the Ride, which I don't find bad, but pretty average) if they come up on shuffle, but too many songs from the album in a row is tough to take, with Mangini's drums sounding so clanky and like something I would have heard in an old Nintendo game.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »

It does for me if I listen to it one song after another.  I enjoy most of the songs a lot (except for Along for the Ride, which I don't find bad, but pretty average) if they come up on shuffle, but too many songs from the album in a row is tough to take, with Mangini's drums sounding so clanky and like something I would have heard in an old Nintendo game.

Since you mentioned the shuffle situation, that's a good example on how to feel the difference in the drum sound. If I'm listening DT on shuffle and a song from this album comes up, the difference in the drum mix from almost any other DT album is HUGE for me, in a bad way. Actually in such a bad way it makes me want to skip the song, even if I like it, which is the case for some of them.

Now, if I start listening the album from the top, with False Awakening Suit, it seems that I don't feel it that much. Almost like this intro also works as a way to digest the drum mix a little better. Not that it becomes good, it just doesn't bother as much for me. But this an album which I listen very little, although some of the songs are truly great like The Bigger Picture (one of my top 10 DT songs), The Enemy Inside and Surrender to Reason (I hope they play this song live one day, such a cool little song).

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2022, 07:00:03 AM »

I must be the equivalent of color blind when it comes to drum sound. Aside from the drums being louder or quieter on some DT albums, I have a hard time hearing a difference in drum sound quality. But I do remember immediately enjoying the mix of DT12 more than ADTOE when I first listened to it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2022, 09:35:49 AM »

I must be the equivalent of color blind when it comes to drum sound. Aside from the drums being louder or quieter on some DT albums, I have a hard time hearing a difference in drum sound quality.

Same...or maybe it's just that I have a wide range of what sounds acceptable to my ears.  Even on Rush albums, with the exception of the electronic percussion, I couldn't tell you anything about the drum sound from one album to the next or between a Rush album and a Triumph album and a Scorpions album, etc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung