Author Topic: Songs that might never be played live again  (Read 13250 times)

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Re: Songs that might never be played live again
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
And, AFAIC, they'd be fine skipping the intro altogether or just play a recording.

No! That intro is one of my sacred DT moments in all of their music (see above). I would be heartbroken if they skipped it, that's like bucket list status to hear it live.

Offline Kram

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »
I'm really struggling to understand how bringing a steel guitar and/or a Continuum would be overly burdensome -- especially when Jordan has one of the most streamlined keyboard rigs ever -- and the big synth wasn't used on the 8VM tour anyway (at least not on all dates).  I also don't understand how doing the intro on a keyboard/iPad would defeat the purpose of the song.  And, AFAIC, they'd be fine skipping the intro altogether or just play a recording.
You're 100% right on all point PG.  They will play it again - take it to the bank!!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2022, 11:35:33 AM »
I'm really struggling to understand how bringing a steel guitar and/or a Continuum would be overly burdensome -- especially when Jordan has one of the most streamlined keyboard rigs ever -- and the big synth wasn't used on the 8VM tour anyway (at least not on all dates).  I also don't understand how doing the intro on a keyboard/iPad would defeat the purpose of the song.  And, AFAIC, they'd be fine skipping the intro altogether or just play a recording.
You're 100% right on all point PG.  They will play it again - take it to the bank!!

Just replace the keytar with a fingerboardtar and BOOM, problem solved.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2022, 11:47:12 AM »
The Killing Hand.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2022, 11:55:38 AM »
I don't think the steel guitar or Continuum would be overly burdensome, but the big synth rig may be.  And that thing was used on the entire 8VM tour, unless there were stops where it may have been prohibitive to take it (like Asia or something).  But it was definitely a mainstay for that tour.

I don't know, it seems like the rig and the song go together.  The song is, in many ways, a salute to the analog prog forebears, and that was one reason JR used that rig in composing the song.  Look, he could do ANYTHING if he wanted to, but it's 2022 and the song hasn't been performed (other than the last section in a medley) since 2006, so they have had plenty of time to do it if they wanted to.  That's all I'm saying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »
I disagree about "the rig and the song go together."  I'm not sure whether Jordan had that rig for the entire U.S. run, but he definitely did not on other legs of the tour where they played Octavarium.  I'm watching the Santiago DVD right now, and he doesn't have it.  While I think he did want to make a point of having that analog sound as much as possible on the tour, as far as I know, Jordan has never been a "purist" in the sense of feeling the "NEED" to have particular gear if something else can emulate the sound he is looking for, and he is always playing around with and helping develop new tech to do that. 

As for the other stuff, like you said, it isn't that hard to pack a continuum and lap steel.  But I don't think he would bother, honestly.  The continuum is pretty much obsolete now that Jordan has used a few different apps with touchscreens to get the same effect.  And as for the lap steel, I wouldn't be surprised if he choose to emulate that on the iPad as well, given that he has done so with string sections, and even a cello solo, and other specific instruments.  Convincingly emulating a lap steel would be child's play for him now.

At the end of the day, I have no idea whether the band feels there is some impediment to playing the song.  But I highly doubt that Jordan's gear is a factor.  They've played it without all the gear several times before, and they could easily do it again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2022, 03:12:52 PM »
Completely agree with Bosk's post. And just to add something, Jordan did use a Continuum mini last tour for ANTR, but he's just using his ipad blu now for the continuum part on BITS. No need to bring the whole other stuff anymore.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2022, 03:19:00 PM »
At the end of the day, I have no idea whether the band feels there is some impediment to playing the song.  But I highly doubt that Jordan's gear is a factor.  They've played it without all the gear several times before, and they could easily do it again.

Yup.   :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2022, 03:37:57 PM »
Brief tangent, since Hef made me pull out the Santiago DVD, which I haven't watched in ages:

1.  James sounds incredible.  And I'm surprised that I never made this connection before, but he is kinda the John Sykes of vocals.  Sykes' vibrato is so extreme at times that I don't know how he doesn't break more strings live, bending them into the next zip code and back.  You either like that style or you don't, but it is definitely kind of his signature.  James kind of does the same thing when he applies vibrato.  When he starts "bending" notes, he goes right past where most singers would go, and just his this REALLY wide range that makes it sound pretty extreme.

2.  For the most part, heck of a set list.  Just looking at it, it doesn't give me the chills that the Score setlist does, as that one was TRULY special.  But NOT having the entire Six Degrees in the set gave them a lot of freedom to put in other songs that, as far as replay value, probably give this one an edge over Score now that we are not too far from 20 years down the road. 

3.  About halfway through Pull Me Under, I was thinking "I had forgotten how good this is, but this may just be THE definitive live version of the song."  ...and then they got to the Metropolis instrumental jam that they threw into the middle of it.  And I can't decide whether I love that or am offput by it.  Maybe both at the same time?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »
That is a GREAT DVD!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2022, 05:21:43 PM »
The obvious, even though it sparks the whole '"is it an epic" debate, is SDOIT. I doubt they will ever play the whole thing live again.

I hope to hear Octavarium live again. Honestly, if they did that album as a whole on the 25th anniversary tour, that would be amazing. I feel like it was a pretty iconic point in the bands career. Both for the album and Score.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »
That is a GREAT DVD!

Absolutely! We have been blessed with some GREAT boots. In addition to Santiago, I love Bucharest and WDADRe-Unite.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2022, 06:07:20 PM »
I doubt Mangini is setting up his own drums.

Eric Disrude is still Mangini's tech. He posted a picture of MM, MP, and himself together from the NY show.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2022, 06:09:09 PM »
I doubt Mangini is setting up his own drums.

Eric Disrude is still Mangini's tech. He posted a picture of MM, MP, and himself together from the NY show.

It was a joke. Crazy seeing a drum kit that small at a DT show! Mangini toured with 4 bass drums for ADTOE. 1 now.

Offline 425

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2022, 10:53:24 PM »
That is a GREAT DVD!

Absolutely! We have been blessed with some GREAT boots. In addition to Santiago, I love Bucharest and WDADRe-Unite.

Having gotten into the band after MP left, I never had the chance to get any of these three (I do have the WDADR CD). I really hope we see these come out in the LNF series. I’m a little worried since we have not seen a LNF video release yet.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2022, 03:14:00 AM »
My favorite Dream Theater Live Show is the Bucharest DVD from 2002. The video quality wasnt the greatest, but the setlist and performance was amazing. Now ive lost the DVD and I cant find any more versions of it unless I watch videos on youtube. I hope they rerelease it with the LNF archives.  :angel: :angel: :angel:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2022, 01:09:45 PM »
Ah an old thread resurfacing...

after this tour I'd say TMOS is not coming back

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2022, 01:16:19 PM »
after this tour I'd say TMOS is not coming back

Hopefully. This song is a joy killer.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2022, 01:29:58 PM »
One thing about DT is you never know what song will be brought back.  I never would've predicted some on this tour.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »
I don't know why but I feel like Outcry, False Awakening Suite, Rite of Passage and Build Me Up Break Me Down are all candidates. Also, I don't think Never Enough is going to be thrown into a set list any time soon  :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2022, 05:51:41 PM »

Outcry would be pretty timely right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it made a second leg appearance on the current tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2022, 05:59:19 PM »

Outcry would be pretty timely right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it made a second leg appearance on the current tour.

Yes!
That would make a great replacement for BITS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2022, 09:14:42 PM »

Yes!
That would make a great replacement for BITS.

Agreed

Offline PetFish

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2022, 09:39:38 PM »
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

I really miss Lines in the Sand, Scarred, and Voices.

I hope they do new/updated live versions of (before they retire):

Eve
Wither
Blind Faith
Take Away My Pain (either version)
To Live Forever
This is the Life
Hell's Kitchen
Prophets of War

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
Also, I don't think Never Enough is going to be thrown into a set list any time soon  :lol

I certainly hope not!  Along with HYF.

Eve
Wither
Blind Faith
To Live Forever
This is the Life
Hell's Kitchen
Prophets of War

Hope springs eternal, but I'd be shocked if they ever played Eve again, and they did TLF and HK just a couple years ago.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »

Eve
Wither
Blind Faith
To Live Forever
This is the Life
Hell's Kitchen
Prophets of War

Hope springs eternal, but I'd be shocked if they ever played Eve again, and they did TLF and HK just a couple years ago.

Yes, from that list they've already played Wither, TLF, TITL and HK live with MM. And they don't seem to have any interest in performing any of the others anytime soon. Even with IWBY, which MM has said in a couple interviews that he'd love to have in the setlist, they still haven't brought it back.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »
Also, I don't think Never Enough is going to be thrown into a set list any time soon  :lol
I know you hate it, but why would ever think would consider playing Hold Your Fire?   :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2022, 11:21:44 AM »
Hope springs eternal, but I'd be shocked if they ever played Eve again
I once asked JP specifically about Eve, and he said almost certainly not. 

I showed him my sad face.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2022, 11:54:33 AM »
I know you hate it, but why would ever think would consider playing Hold Your Fire?   :lol

Well played...and I'd prefer Hold Your Fire to what I actually meant (especially if JM does the Aimee Mann vocal)!   :biggrin:

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »

YES !!!!!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2022, 12:49:47 PM »
I think almost everything they've ever done is still on the table, with a few exceptions:

- ITPOE - too long for something that's not a fan favorite. They could just play Part 1 or 2 though.
- Illumination  Theory - similar logic as the above; I just don't see them giving that much of the setlist to something that doesn't really hit the spot for most fans as much as other epic songs in the back catalog.

Offline Kram

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2022, 01:34:55 PM »
I think almost everything they've ever done is still on the table, with a few exceptions:

- ITPOE - too long for something that's not a fan favorite. They could just play Part 1 or 2 though.
- Illumination  Theory - similar logic as the above; I just don't see them giving that much of the setlist to something that doesn't really hit the spot for most fans as much as other epic songs in the back catalog.
I think the full 6DOIT might be off the table simply for it's length.  I hope I'm wrong about that though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »

I don't believe either of these are off the table, mainly because I don't believe they are disliked as much as you apparently do.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2022, 03:29:13 PM »
Illumination Theory is one of my very favorites, but I feel that if they tried to play it without an orchestra, it would lose some of its magic.  So I'd kinda rather they didn't.

I've been wondering why they didn't film one of The Astonishing shows and if they would still consider doing that at some point in the future (like a one-off special occasion).  Seems like that's the only tour that's not officially documented.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2022, 04:49:49 PM »
The only reason IT wouldn't be played soon is because it consumes a lot of the set list AND was played not too long ago. It's a very well liked song and for good reason.