Author Topic: Songs that might never be played live again  (Read 13249 times)

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
Re: Songs that might never be played live again
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 08:39:01 PM »
I mean he can sing it if he wants to but it probably won't sound very good.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 01:29:31 AM »
The Mirror / Lie is DT's popular duo songs and I think they'll play them again. James can handle. As for Voices, older fan base misses hearing this song live and I think we can hear it again with some minor vocal changes for James' sake.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 01:47:54 AM »
Am I the only one who likes medleys?

Younger fan, so I've never heard them do one live, sadly. I like them. But I read somewhere Petrucci has said that he prefers not to play them

Adding to the topic, I'm thinking about Octavarium...it's kinda THE DT song for me and I would love to hear it, but I doubt it. I mean, they did ACOS so it's not impossible but...
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:45 AM »
I think it will never be played... But am I the only one who would love to see Raw Dog live??? I love that heavy mess of riffs  :biggrin: And call me weird but I think this would make for a pretty awesome Wtf-concert opener. Blast the audience's ears away with a crazy instrumental before JLB comes out and everyone goes nuts.
any rock can be made to roll

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
I'd rather hear You Not Me before Raw Dog.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2020, 06:03:33 AM »
I wouldn’t mind Raw Dog, but 7:35 is long to include something a handful of fans know and majority might not enjoy it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
I'd dig some raw dog live, but yea, that's never happening

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »
I would rather hear the Canadian Rap than hear Raw Dog.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »
Was just listening to d/t earlier today after not having listened to it for a long time, and one thing that struck me is how I can't imagine DT ever performing S2N live. With JL struggling as he does now, all those rapid fire vocals would leave him out of breath. Reminds me of how Queensryche only played their lead single from their self-titled album (their first with Todd La Torre on vocals) a handful of times in comparison to other songs from the album, most likely for this very reason.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
Was just listening to d/t earlier today after not having listened to it for a long time, and one thing that struck me is how I can't imagine DT ever performing S2N live. With JL struggling as he does now, all those rapid fire vocals would leave him out of breath. Reminds me of how Queensryche only played their lead single from their self-titled album (their first with Todd La Torre on vocals) a handful of times in comparison to other songs from the album, most likely for this very reason.
I agree with you about the rapid fire vocals.  That song might be impossible to perform live (at least, completely live - maybe with some of those vocal lines built into a backing track or something, but I would rather not).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
:wow:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2020, 12:06:57 PM »
I agree with you about the rapid fire vocals.  That song might be impossible to perform live (at least, completely live - maybe with some of those vocal lines built into a backing track or something, but I would rather not).

I would think JLB and JP would switch off each line and harmonize "Innocent Die".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evai

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
I would think JLB and JP would switch off each line and harmonize "Innocent Die".

That'd be nice, I haven't heard JP sing in concert for a long time
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline brents319

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »
So....this topic hasn't been touched in awhile.  Curious, since last year (2020) DT released a stand alone medley single...anyone really think JP has a 'real' problem with medleys?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »
So....this topic hasn't been touched in awhile.  Curious, since last year (2020) DT released a stand alone medley single...anyone really think JP has a 'real' problem with medleys?
A medley of Christmas songs to go to a good cause is a little different than a medley of stuff he's actually written.

Yes, I think he has a problem with THOSE, because he's said so in the past.  He would rather play complete songs.  Notice they haven't really performed medleys live since MP left, who likes medleys and used to craft the setlists.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »

They will never play S2N live because they'd have to pay Owen Wilson royalties every time they perform it
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »

They will never play S2N live because they'd have to pay Owen Wilson royalties every time they perform it

I still look forward to the "WOW" every time I listen to this song. It's just so perfect. I would love to see the song live and have JM say it  :laugh:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »
So now that the first part of this tour is coming to an end, I was thinking about this thread and while I was hoping they will bring out The Glass Prison or Octavarium, (both have not been played since 2006) I am starting to give up hope they'll ever play these two tracks again.

Of course, with DT everything is on the table, so there is always a change.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2022, 11:12:55 AM »
I'm starting to think they've forgotten about Surrender to Reason :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2022, 11:17:23 AM »
I think the least likely songs will be anything off of WDADU, besides A Fortune in Lies, Ytse Jam or Afterlife.

Also, any Mangini-era songs that aren’t considered “favorites” probably aren’t getting played. At this point if it’s not new, and never been played, highly unlikely that it will. 

Anything else is probably still fair game.  And I’m 100% sure that I can be 100% wrong about all of this.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kram

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2022, 01:07:02 PM »
So now that the first part of this tour is coming to an end, I was thinking about this thread and while I was hoping they will bring out The Glass Prison or Octavarium, (both have not been played since 2006) I am starting to give up hope they'll ever play these two tracks again.

I think 100% chance Octavarium will be played again and will be played soon (anniversary coming up).  Not sure about The Glass Prison, but hopefully it returns as well.  My biggest wish list songs right now are Octavarium, Voices and anything from the first disc of 6DOIT.

Offline 425

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »

I think 100% chance Octavarium will be played again and will be played soon (anniversary coming up).  Not sure about The Glass Prison, but hopefully it returns as well.  My biggest wish list songs right now are Octavarium, Voices and anything from the first disc of 6DOIT.

I agree with this, and I think the present tour actually makes it even more likely that Octavarium will return, because they've shown their willingness to bring out older long songs—TCOT and TMOLS—even when they already have a long song on the album they're supporting.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online pg1067

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »

I agree re 8VM.

As far as a wish list, mine is really short.

- Anna Lee:  This is relatively low on the list, but it'd be cool to see.
- SDOIT:  I've seen ATC, SS, ATCR and LT/GF.  I'd love to see the whole thing.
- Vacant:  Like Anna Lee, it's low priority, but it'd be cool.
- Wither:  My second favorite song on BC&SL, and I'm really surprised it hasn't been played more.
- S2N:  My #2 song on DOT.
- Transcending Time:  Thus far my favorite on View.

Of course, there are songs -- like 8VM -- that I've seen before and would like to see again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
I hate to say it, but I don't think 8V will be played live again because of the extent of the equipment JR requires. Now, I could see him programming his Nautilus to have the correct sounds.. But I see it being highly unlikely.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Kram

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2022, 04:23:04 PM »

I agree with this, and I think the present tour actually makes it even more likely that Octavarium will return, because they've shown their willingness to bring out older long songs—TCOT and TMOLS—even when they already have a long song on the album they're supporting.
Exactly.  They have to know that Octavarium is absolutely one of their most popular songs ever and many hardcore fans (myself included) consider it their crowning achievement.

Offline Kram

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2022, 04:24:45 PM »
I hate to say it, but I don't think 8V will be played live again because of the extent of the equipment JR requires. Now, I could see him programming his Nautilus to have the correct sounds.. But I see it being highly unlikely.
Nah - with modern technology, and his incredible talent, dude can play it on his iPad no problem LOL

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2022, 04:28:32 PM »
If/when they play OVM again, I hope they add Surrender to Reason and Solitary Shell since they all use the 12 string guitar anyway. Heaven's Cove wouldn't be a bad bonus either :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »

He could just replicate the lap steel with his iPad. And he already does for the continuum parts.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online pg1067

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »

I don't see this being an issue.  If he doesn't want to bring the steel guitar and Continuum (which I don't see why he wouldn't because it's hardly extensive), he could play those parts on his iPad or normal keyboard.  Same goes for the big Moog synth setup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2022, 06:49:50 AM »
I agree.  I think if they were ever going to do it again, they would have done it by now.

And yeah, most of the sounds could be synthesized without all of that gear, but that would be defeating part of the point of the song.  I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2022, 07:47:42 AM »
I agree.  I think if they were ever going to do it again, they would have done it by now.

And yeah, most of the sounds could be synthesized without all of that gear, but that would be defeating part of the point of the song.  I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Well if this is coming from Weymolith than I believe it. There are obviously financial issues (is Mangini setting up his own kit now?) and anything to save money will probably be prioritized going forward.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
I doubt Mangini is setting up his own drums.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2022, 08:50:41 AM »
I didn’t think the more minimalistic design was a financial measure, but more based on damage control and prevention in case someone in the crew caught COVID. Keep the techs as few as possible and there’s hopefully less likelihood for something to go wrong. That’s what I took it to be anyway.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2022, 09:13:48 AM »
Nah - with modern technology, and his incredible talent, dude can play it on his iPad no problem LOL

Yes! And I hope he does. The moment I heard this song is literally the moment I became a fan.  :heart

Online pg1067

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2022, 09:22:08 AM »
I'm really struggling to understand how bringing a steel guitar and/or a Continuum would be overly burdensome -- especially when Jordan has one of the most streamlined keyboard rigs ever -- and the big synth wasn't used on the 8VM tour anyway (at least not on all dates).  I also don't understand how doing the intro on a keyboard/iPad would defeat the purpose of the song.  And, AFAIC, they'd be fine skipping the intro altogether or just play a recording.