Author Topic: 12 Step Suite Edited Version?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline dparrott

12 Step Suite Edited Version?
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »
I just found this on Youtube and wondered if anyone has an audio version of something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGx2XCZDXQA

I like the idea of getting to the main parts of the songs and them flowing together.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: 12 Step Suite Edited Version?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:10:30 AM »
This got me wanting to try it myself. Gonna be quite a feat though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:16:25 AM »
Basically, just cut TGP and TDS down to a 10-12 minute track and purge the three other turds and it'd be about as good as it can realistically get imo.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:18:31 AM »
Basically, just cut TGP and TDS down to a 10-12 minute track and purge the three other turds and it'd be about as good as it can realistically get imo.
Nope!  I think TROAE is the best of the 12 step suite, even though TGP is way more of a technical rocker!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 04:44:22 AM »
If you like that version just download the file, or were you looking to see what other people have done?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
If you like that version just download the file, or were you looking to see what other people have done?

Yea I can do that but I was hoping for higher quality sound.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:11 AM »
I know that someone here edited a version together of all 5 songs, but ATM their identity escapes me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
I was able to do an edit myself, it does not take that high level of skill, a random sound editor will suffice.

How the songs merge together should be evident in most cases:

TGP > TDS = like they've done plenty of times live, after "the door was wide open" they go immediately into the long note of TDS skipping the first few seconds of the song;
TDS > Root = just cut the entire intro of the song, when the song starts for "real", that's how it flows nicely from the end of TDS;
Root > Repentance = just have the first notes of Repentance starting over the very last seconds of the echo of the last note of Root, before TALW begin;
Repentance > TSF = this one I'm not sure how Portnoy intended all to be. Maybe after "the truth is the truth, and all you have to do is deal with it" he envisioned a clean start of the song the way DT played it live on the Along for the Ride tour. The sudden stop of Repentance after the last spoken word lends itself for a dramatic restart.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
I was able to do an edit myself, it does not take that high level of skill, a random sound editor will suffice.

How the songs merge together should be evident in most cases:

TGP > TDS = like they've done plenty of times live, after "the door was wide open" they go immediately into the long note of TDS skipping the first few seconds of the song;
TDS > Root = just cut the entire intro of the song, when the song starts for "real", that's how it flows nicely from the end of TDS;
Root > Repentance = just have the first notes of Repentance starting over the very last seconds of the echo of the last note of Root, before TALW begin;
Repentance > TSF = this one I'm not sure how Portnoy intended all to be. Maybe after "the truth is the truth, and all you have to do is deal with it" he envisioned a clean start of the song the way DT played it live on the Along for the Ride tour. The sudden stop of Repentance after the last spoken word lends itself for a dramatic restart.

I did it similarly, though I also cut out the entire outro to TDS since I dislike it. I also started the fade in to TSF over the end of Repentance. Isn't representative of how it'd be done live, but we have a fade in so only so much we can do, but it sounded pretty cool.

I also edited out parts of TGP that I felt got way too repetitive and wanky.

It was neat to listen to....once. After that it was just a chore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
In my edit, The Shattered Fortress fades in under the last seconds of Repentance. I repositioned "...All you can do is live with it" a couple of seconds into the riffing as it fades up at the start of TSF and it is really bad ass.

Going from This Dying Soul into The Root Of All Evil, I cut the ambient intro and changed the pitch of the last note of TDS to make the transition a little smoother.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 10:36:18 PM »
I'd do it myself if I had time.  Can you guys post download links to your versions?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 03:12:26 AM »
I'd do it myself if I had time.  Can you guys post download links to your versions?

Not sure it should be done... I mean, we're all fans and we're doing these creative edits out of love for the songs, but in the end it's still sharing of copyrighted material....

Maybe a quick snippet just to highlight the transitions?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 03:51:53 AM »
Prog fans asking for a shorter version of songs? Perish the thought!

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »

Yea I can do that but I was hoping for higher quality sound.

Hi, I'm the owner of the yt channel who posted that edit along with others from DT, thank you for having discovered and shared it ;D unfortunately I have lost the original file of my 12-step suite version, so the video is the only source remained from that work. Hope you'll enjoy it anyway :smiley:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 11:16:43 PM »
After that it was just a chore.

Unfortunately 3 out of the 5 songs in the suite can be a bit of a chore to get through on their own.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »

Yeah, doesn't work for me, but perhaps a new fan can appreciate it and then learn that there's bonus material by listening in their entirety.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »

It's like an hour dude. It's not like we're shortening an 8 minute song to a 4 minute song. We're shortening like from 50 min to 45 or something. If 45-50 min is too short for you, then I dunno man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »

It's like an hour dude. It's not like we're shortening an 8 minute song to a 4 minute song. We're shortening like from 50 min to 45 or something. If 45-50 min is too short for you, then I dunno man.

Actually it's cutting it by more than half.  And I think it's valid because a lot of the parts repeat each other.  But yea it's copyrighted, good point.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
I'm actually liking the full version with transitions which is still a slightly edited version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEKXTwUbPw

Love the transition between Repentance and TSF.  :2metal:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:22:38 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 11:56:26 PM »

I had a sponsee who only did the first five steps, he ended up drinking and losing everything. All twelve steps are needed man.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 11:02:59 AM »
The way I'm doing mine is including all the lyrics, and mainly shortening the instrumentals, keeping the ending Transitions (although we'll see when I get to Repentance).

So far got TGP pretty much done how I wanted it. I kept the intro because it showcases the theme riffs, completely took out the instrumental so it goes straight from before JM begins his solo Bass riff (9:40), to before the 3rd step begins(12:49). Although I'm having a dilemma of what sounds better, straight into the last section at (12:51) or the former. The resulting end time is 10:40, not too bad.

Now Onto TDS, this should be fun and the one to likely have the most cuts.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 12:50:05 PM »
I'm actually liking the full version with transitions which is still a slightly edited version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEKXTwUbPw

Love the transition between Repentance and TSF.  :2metal:

This is the one for me :metal

... having said that, I rarely, if ever, listen to the full thing from start to finish.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »
I burned the Suite onto a CD way back when I was actually listening to CD's.  :lol