Author Topic: Avenue 5  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Avenue 5
« on: February 26, 2020, 06:35:16 AM »
Anyone watching this show on HBO?

I'm kinda meh on it I think. It's not bad, but I don't think it's that good either. I don't go out of my way to make sure I watch it like I do some of HBO's other shows. It has its funny moments for sure, but other times I just sit there kind of bored. Almost feels like I'm sticking it out due to sunken cost fallacy at this point.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Avenue 5
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 07:37:55 AM »
Anyone watching this show on HBO?

I'm kinda meh on it I think. It's not bad, but I don't think it's that good either. I don't go out of my way to make sure I watch it like I do some of HBO's other shows. It has its funny moments for sure, but other times I just sit there kind of bored. Almost feels like I'm sticking it out due to sunken cost fallacy at this point.

Yeah. I’m watching but feel the same. It’s just not quite there as far as being a REALLY funny show. As you said.....there are some funny instances but all in all it just misses the mark. I can’t imagine it gets a second season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:43 AM »
https://deadline.com/2020/02/avenue-5-renewed-season-2-by-hbo-1202859329/

I'm watching. Enjoying it enough to keep watching.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »
I'm enjoying the show, but it's not SUPER funny. It has a specific style that keeps it around a 6 or 7/10 for the most part in terms of funny. It never really gets higher than that, but I enjoy it.

The whole accent/fake crew thing was really clever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »
https://deadline.com/2020/02/avenue-5-renewed-season-2-by-hbo-1202859329/

I'm surprised. Must have good numbers or something.

I'm enjoying the show, but it's not SUPER funny. It has a specific style that keeps it around a 6 or 7/10 for the most part in terms of funny.

That's the perfect description of how I view it as well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 10:53:47 AM »
I think it has more to do with Armando Iannucci and their faith in him. The man gave us The Thick of It and Veep. Neither are slouches, but both were essentially the same show just for different government types. This is something totally different and I would think they want to give him some time to work it out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 11:06:55 AM »
Also, these networks are having to deal with binge culture now. Initial numbers/ratings don't tell the whole story. I can't tell you how many shows I've gotten into after the first season already aired because I preferred to watch them over a short period of time rather than weeks. With on demand/streaming services, you almost have to give a show two seasons now before you can decide to give it the axe.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
Watching Episode 6 and, I have to admit that, I found the whole beep thing hilarious. Couple that with the reactions from Zach Woods, if you pay attention. Such a simple thing and they really made it work.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:55:22 PM »
Watching Episode 6 and, I have to admit that, I found the whole beep thing hilarious. Couple that with the reactions from Zach Woods, if you pay attention. Such a simple thing and they really made it work.

Yeah. My favorite episode thus far.

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 12:46:31 PM »
Well this show got pretty messed up real fast.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »
Well this show got pretty messed up real fast.

Ummmm.....yeah. That was ate up

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
Anyone else stick with this show up to the finale? I enjoyed it. It gave me plenty of laughs. It's stupid though... like really really stupid. That Karen lady... Wasn't she just a regular passenger, or did I miss something as to why she was calling so many shots?

Offline Adami

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 07:44:44 AM »
Anyone else stick with this show up to the finale? I enjoyed it. It gave me plenty of laughs. It's stupid though... like really really stupid. That Karen lady... Wasn't she just a regular passenger, or did I miss something as to why she was calling so many shots?

I did. It was stupid, but in that British silly way, not bad writing kind of way.

And yea, regular passenger. She was calling shots because she essentially had a loud voice, was causing problems and they figured they'd rather work with her than against her and she had a natural ability to mobilize.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »

I did. It was stupid, but in that British silly way, not bad writing kind of way.

And yea, regular passenger. She was calling shots because she essentially had a loud voice, was causing problems and they figured they'd rather work with her than against her and she had a natural ability to mobilize.

Yep....stuck it out. I had some laughs but it is a pretty silly show. The people thinking the air lock was a way 'back stage' and instantly dying was a bit morbid....but, at the same time given the idiocy we see everyday from everyday people...it's totally plausible.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »
That airlock scene was hilariously dark. It just kept getting worse and worse (better and better)  :rollin :rollin