A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29130 times)

Offline crazy climber dude

Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2022, 05:45:56 AM »
This seems to happen seemingly more often than not. A champion goes on an extended run....then finally loses. And the person who beat him loses the next game! Wow.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #351 on: December 11, 2022, 02:09:11 PM »
Soooo...I got a call last week from a number I didn't recognize, so I almost didn't answer but I did anyway.  And I'm glad I did.  It was a contestant coordinator from Jeopardy.  Nothing firm yet, but she did ask about my availability over the next 2-3 months and confirmed all my info.  Knocking on wood!

And I gotta start working on things like literature and modern pop culture.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #352 on: December 11, 2022, 03:59:34 PM »
Cool!  Hope you get to go on there and kick some ass!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: December 19, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »
Time flies......kudos to Amy Schneider and her championship.  I liked the byes, the finals format, etc.  And Sam Buttrell !  Was a tad annoyed with Andrew always hitting the big 'Jeopardy' bids.

The same with Chris afterwards, though I loved his humor.

Soooo...I got a call last week from a number I didn't recognize, so I almost didn't answer but I did anyway.  And I'm glad I did.  It was a contestant coordinator from Jeopardy.  Nothing firm yet, but she did ask about my availability over the next 2-3 months and confirmed all my info.  Knocking on wood!

Don't look at me for help! ;) :D  Best of luck! :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #354 on: December 20, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
There needs to be SOME shoutout to DTF.  I think you should where Adami's "Stadler" tie while on the air.  I really do.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #355 on: December 20, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »
There needs to be SOME shoutout to DTF.  I think you should where Adami's "Stadler" tie while on the air.  I really do.

Not familiar with that tie, but I could make oblique references to your avatars over the years:  Belichick, Trevor Horn and whoever's body your Muppet avatar is sitting on.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #356 on: December 20, 2022, 09:22:05 AM »

Not familiar with that tie, but I could make oblique references to your avatars over the years:  Belichick, Trevor Horn and whoever's body your Muppet avatar is sitting on.   :lol

I'd be happy to loan you the tie. It's worth it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #357 on: December 20, 2022, 09:31:17 AM »
TBF, the odds of me suiting up are probably lower than the odds of the Atlanta Falcons winning the Super Bowl this season.  I do appreciate the offer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: December 20, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »

If you draw a complete blank on Final Jeopardy, steak dinner at your choice of restaurant if you just write "Stadler" in as your answer. ;) :) :) :) :)

Oh, and it's Alex Lifeson, for the record.  See, I'm doing my part to prep you!!!! 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #359 on: December 20, 2022, 10:12:45 AM »

If you draw a complete blank on Final Jeopardy, steak dinner at your choice of restaurant if you just write "Stadler" in as your answer. ;) :) :) :) :)

Oh, and it's Alex Lifeson, for the record.  See, I'm doing my part to prep you!!!!

LOL!  "I'll take DTF Avatars for $1,000, Ken."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2022, 12:10:32 PM »

LOL!  "I'll take DTF Avatars for $1,000, Ken."

A Vlasto Day reference will suffice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline faizoff

« Reply #361 on: December 20, 2022, 12:13:37 PM »

Good luck!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #362 on: December 20, 2022, 12:13:54 PM »
I second putting Stadler as an answer.

That way it can be said on live tv that “Stadler is wrong”
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2022, 01:32:44 PM »
I second putting Stadler as an answer.

That way it can be said on live tv that “Stadler is wrong”

You would have unassailable video evidence. 

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #364 on: January 04, 2023, 09:28:53 AM »
Ray's run is over....quite a run he had! The game before he barely won, and so you just wondered when it might actually happen.

New champ, Sy, quite a character! He wagered $5 on a Daily Double clue for "Kid Cuisine"....then missed it to prove his lack of confidence....then said "now you know why I only wagered $5"!   :laugh:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #365 on: January 05, 2023, 06:10:11 AM »
I started out liking Ray but kinda got sick of his constant rocking back and forth. We'll see how long this new guy lasts.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #366 on: January 05, 2023, 01:23:06 PM »
Great news!  I got a call from the casting director today.  I'm slated to be a "local alternate" in early February.  I likely won't play, but I'll come back on their next taping day later in February!  The shows that are taped those days will air in late April/early May.  I'll post the specific date when it gets closer.

Gotta buckle down and get some facts hammered in.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2023, 02:33:55 PM »
That's encouraging! Fingers crossed you get picked.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2023, 09:42:33 AM »
I started out liking Ray but kinda got sick of his constant rocking back and forth. We'll see how long this new guy lasts.

It's been a while, but on the Fbook site, he explained that he had some sort of back or hip problem, and his swaying helped reduce irritation in his legs.  I don't understand why the contestants can't sit down.

My peeve....with him and a growing list, is saying 'Please' for every single clue request.  Once is fine, after that, knock it off! >:(

A typical Jersey contestant might go:  'Give me 'Sports for two hundred....or else!' :lol

On the 13th, categories 4-6 in the 'Jeopardy Round' were: 

:tup

(pix added 2/2)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:23:18 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2023, 09:56:48 AM »

It's been a while, but on the Fbook site, he explained that he had some sort of back or hip problem, and his swaying helped reduce irritation in his legs.  I don't understand why the contestants can't sit down.

My peeve....with him and a growing list, is saying 'Please' for every single clue request.  Once is fine, after that, knock it off! >:(

A typical Jersey contestant might go:  'Give me 'Sports for two hundred....or else!' :lol

On the 13th, categories 4-6 in the 'Jeopardy Round' were:  "You Brought Me Fame & Fortune',  '& Everything That Goes With It', and  'I Thank You All'

I ran across footage of one of the Art Fleming hosted episodes, and I'm pretty sure they were all sitting.

I think it was when I did an in-person audition for Sports Jeopardy that we were told to abbreviate the categories.  The reason?  It saves time and, over the course of 30 clues, it helps to ensure that all of the clues get used.  When I got up to play a mock game, the first thing out of my mouth was, "Can I get '[FULL category name] for [dollar amount],' please."  As soon as it came out of my mouth, I admonished myself in my mind for doing it.

I enjoy when they come up with the clever ties between categories.

I'm a few days behind again, and last night, I watched the episode where the Final J clue was:  "Mimal, sometimes said to be the silhouette of a chef or elf, stands for Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and these 2 states."  I was completely astounded that none of the three got it correct (although, apparently, some Jeopardy fans on social media found the question somewhat unintelligible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2023, 01:37:12 PM »
I get it, but I hate when the contestants abbreviate.   Just me.  I also text in complete sentences. :)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #371 on: January 31, 2023, 07:37:10 PM »
This current champion annoys the ever loving fuck out of me.

That is all.   :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2023, 08:19:39 AM »

My family and I feel the same way.

His tics and mannerisms just piss me off.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2023, 10:44:28 AM »
I didn't care for the guy who looked like Christopher Reeve, but I think he got eliminated at the end of last week, and I don't remember the guy who beat him.  Without any football or hockey for the next 10 days, I'll have plenty of time to stay current with Jeopardy.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2023, 05:14:26 AM »

My family and I feel the same way.

His tics and mannerisms just piss me off.

Add my wife and myself to the list.  His 'shooting hoops and doing a three' with his fingers, indicating his wins during the intros was so juvenile.  And his actions when getting a 'Daily Double' correct.   :tdwn  Thank goodness, he's gone :tup

How about the even worse past winner?  Talk about a sore 'winner'...    https://bestlifeonline.com/james-holzhauer-yogesh-raut-news/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2023, 07:40:29 AM »
I don't watch Jeopardy as much as I'd like to (it's lost something without Trebek, though I like Ken Jennings) but if this is the way that "reality TV" creeps into the Jeopardy universe - which always seemed to exist outside of the reality TV tropes - I'm probably going to be watching even less moving forward.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #376 on: February 02, 2023, 07:53:51 AM »
I don't watch Jeopardy as much as I'd like to (it's lost something without Trebek, though I like Ken Jennings) but if this is the way that "reality TV" creeps into the Jeopardy universe - which always seemed to exist outside of the reality TV tropes - I'm probably going to be watching even less moving forward.
It's not, in 99% of contestants.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2023, 08:27:07 AM »

I agree with this.  I'm a daily watcher and the reason why these contestants stand out like a sore thumb is BECAUSE they are so rare.

I literally cheered last night when that sweet librarian beat that egotistical twerp.  Good riddance.

And yes, Dragon Attack, I saw that last week.  That contestant also gave off a very unlikable vibe but not in the same way as this most recent winner.  Sore loser is right!  At least the kid last night was - or seemed to be - gracious in his defeat.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
How about the even worse past winner?  Talk about a sore 'winner'...    https://bestlifeonline.com/james-holzhauer-yogesh-raut-news/

LOL...WTF?!

I imagine I'll have some insight into this soon.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #379 on: February 03, 2023, 06:49:15 AM »
My wife and I caught the Primetime Celebrity Jeopardy episode last night, almost on accident (we couldn't find our remote, lol).

Between the 3 contestants, Wil Wheaton, Patton Oswalt and Ike Barinholtz; knowing those 3, I would not have predicted who won.

They showed a montage of funny moments throughout the season, including with BJ Novak and Michael Cera, which we never caught, but might be up for watching now. I wonder if episodes are available on Demand or on the Jeopardy or ABC website.

Also funny how with Primetime Celebrity Jeopardy on Thursday night, Mayim almost competes against herself per her show Call Me Kat is on FOX only 30 minutes later, after Celebrity Jeopardy ends, at 8:30 (Central).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #380 on: February 03, 2023, 07:49:05 AM »
They showed a montage of funny moments throughout the season, including with BJ Novak and Michael Cera, which we never caught, but might be up for watching now. I wonder if episodes are available on Demand or on the Jeopardy or ABC website.
They are on one of the streaming sites.  I think Hulu.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #381 on: February 28, 2023, 10:46:26 AM »
Great news!  I got a call from the casting director today.  I'm slated to be a "local alternate" in early February.  I likely won't play, but I'll come back on their next taping day later in February!  The shows that are taped those days will air in late April/early May.  I'll post the specific date when it gets closer.

Well...the deed is done.  I was "local alternate" for episodes that were shot on February 8 (and which will air the last week of April), and I actually played yesterday (tune in the first week of May).  All I can say for now is that it was a great experience, and Stadler does not owe me a steak dinner.  I met a lot of really cool people.  The contestant staff could not have been better, and the whole crew was like a machine.  I'll post some more at the appropriate time.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #382 on: February 28, 2023, 12:32:30 PM »
Wow that's awesome. Congrats!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2023, 02:28:41 PM »

Well...the deed is done.  I was "local alternate" for episodes that were shot on February 8 (and which will air the last week of April), and I actually played yesterday (tune in the first week of May).  All I can say for now is that it was a great experience, and Stadler does not owe me a steak dinner.  I met a lot of really cool people.  The contestant staff could not have been better, and the whole crew was like a machine.  I'll post some more at the appropriate time.

Dammit.

:)

Happy for you and can't wait for the date!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: March 01, 2023, 07:47:15 AM »
Congratulations, Paul !!!!   :tup

Were the categories somewhat in your wheelhouse?  Along the lines of 'Judas Priest Discography', 'Superb Owl History', 'Baseball HOF', or more like 'Africa', 'South America Rivers', 'Greek Mythology', 'Countries that end with 'stan''?

Did 'never been in my kitchen?' ever enter your mind during the last month? :D

'Who Is Stadler?'  would have been a classic.  Then again, haven't many asked that for years here? ;)