A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29106 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »
RIP, Alex

From Thursday's after show segment  https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-champion-thanks-alex-trebek-helping-learn-english/

On Friday, the champion got to mention this during the contestant interview segment.  Alex said he used to sit on his grandfather's lap as well, who taught him how to swear :rollin

We watched the entire interview segment twice that night.  The eventual champion was a 'mouth beat drummer' who cracked everyone up.  All three contestants that night had such a friendly rapport with each other, equalled only by the 'Greatest of All Time' tourney with Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter, and James Holzhauer.

He fought the good fight, and looked so good since the return of the show.

You're always welcome at Cheers.......
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:42:11 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »
Sucks so much. I wonder how many episodes they managed to film?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2020, 11:02:46 AM »
Alex Trebek and Sean Connery passing so close to one another is rather, um, ironic?

RIP Mr. Jeopardy.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2020, 11:55:25 AM »
I believe they taped until October 29th, and have enough episodes up to Christmas. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
Yeah, just read an article confirming Christmas will be his final episode

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »
Alex Trebek and Sean Connery passing so close to one another is rather, um, ironic?

RIP Mr. Jeopardy.

Crazy, fu 2020. RIP Alex

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2020, 04:56:48 PM »
Alex had stones of solid titanium.  To be going through the cancer treatment AND still record episodes of Jeopardy in a pandemic is incredible.

Alex will be TRULY missed.  Eddie Van Halen was an all-time great, but he hadn't done anything that I consumed in decades, so his death didn't affect me.  Even Neil Peart had been retired for four-plus years.  Chris Squire was a tough one for me because he was still actively performing and recording and was also a direct influence on me.  Alex is the same because he was still actively working on something I was consuming.  He will be sorely missed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
Final episodes now to be aired next year.

https://tvline.com/2020/12/21/alex-trebek-last-jeopardy-episode-air-date/

Being taped so far in advance, it was kind of tough hearing him mention the Thanksgiving break, and then hoping everyone has a good T'giving, since he had already passed away.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
Thank Thanksgiving message was great. Thank you Alex.

As is this bit from James Holzhauer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5W8y2CYm3Y
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
Final episodes now to be aired next year.

https://tvline.com/2020/12/21/alex-trebek-last-jeopardy-episode-air-date/

Being taped so far in advance, it was kind of tough hearing him mention the Thanksgiving break, and then hoping everyone has a good T'giving, since he had already passed away.

Yeah...I got an email from Jeopardy a couple weeks ago saying that they'll be re-airing some "Alex on location" episodes this week and next.  Alex's last episodes will air the week of January 4.

On another note, around Thanksgiving, I took the online test.  About a week later, I got an email telling me I passed and asking me to schedule an interview/live test via Zoom.  I actually forgot to schedule, so now I have to wait until they schedule some more after the new year.  Ugh....  Weird to think that, after as many times as I've tried to get on, if I make it now, it won't be with Alex.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 02:05:23 PM »
On another note, around Thanksgiving, I took the online test.  About a week later, I got an email telling me I passed and asking me to schedule an interview/live test via Zoom.  I actually forgot to schedule, so now I have to wait until they schedule some more after the new year.  Ugh....  Weird to think that, after as many times as I've tried to get on, if I make it now, it won't be with Alex.
Nice going making it that far.  I took the online test a couple of times over the years, and never passed.   :mehlin
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2021, 05:57:52 PM »
First, kudos to anyone that makes it beyond the initial test to be a contestant.

Because they changed the showing dates, hearing him say 'Merry Christmas Eve' and 'Merry Christmas' the last two nights was a bit 'awkward'.....and also said.

The montage they put together at the end was wonderful.  All fun and joyous snippets.....and then the final bits of him saying 'So long' and walking off.....<snif>
(and, nope, no Cliff Clavin footage...)

Because our schedules became more 'normal' over the past ten years, my wife and I watched 3-5 times a week (certainly easier to 'tape' in this digital age when we wouldn't be home at 7pm).   Damn.....what large shoes to try to fill......

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
Because they changed the showing dates, hearing him say 'Merry Christmas Eve' and 'Merry Christmas' the last two nights was a bit 'awkward'.....and also said.

The montage they put together at the end was wonderful.  All fun and joyous snippets.....and then the final bits of him saying 'So long' and walking off.....<snif>
(and, nope, no Cliff Clavin footage...)

It was an unfortunate week for Alex's final episodes.  The Wednesday episode got moved, and I actually found it in a DVR recording of a different program, so I watched last week's episodes out of order.  The final montage was really good.

I watched Ken Jennings's first episode yesterday.  His intro speech was really good.  He seemed like he was about to break down right from the start, and I wonder how many takes they had to do.  I thought he did a really good job, although you could tell he was really nervous throughout the broadcast.  He closed the broadcast by thanking the contestants and the audience, and then a final thank you to Alex.

I read an interview that Jennings did where he talked about how he thought he understood everything Alex did, but when he actually got behind the podium, he realized Alex did ten things for every one that the audience saw.  He said he called his wife after his fifth episode and told her he thought he wasn't doing well.  She tried to talk him down a bit by saying, "well...do you think you did about as well as Alex did on his FIRST episode?"  He said this made him feel a little better.

Honestly, Jennings was an interesting choice for the first "guest host" because he's not a professional and (AFAIK) has no experience hosting anything (although he's involved with two shows currently running on the Game Show Network).  It'll be interesting to see this process plays out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 10:41:56 AM »
I really don't like Ken Jennings, though.  Do you think I might warm to him watching him?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2021, 12:22:38 PM »
I really don't like Ken Jennings, though.  Do you think I might warm to him watching him?

I don't know.  I wasn't a fan of the guy a couple years ago who won a bunch of money.  James something-or-other, the professional gambler.  I don't know if he's going to be one of the guest hosts, but I'll probably be biased against him if he is.  I don't really have strong feelings about Jennings.  He's got two shows that air on the Game Show Network (MasterMinds and The Chase), where's he's the expert (or one of them) against whom "regular" contestants compete.  He doesn't really have a cocky attitude, so he seems a little out of place on those shows.

For the most part, I think the host of Jeopardy! needs to be like an umpire in baseball or NFL official.  The less you notice him, the better he's doing at his job.  Right now, anyone other than Alex seems out of place.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »

I don't know.  I wasn't a fan of the guy a couple years ago who won a bunch of money.  James something-or-other, the professional gambler.  I don't know if he's going to be one of the guest hosts, but I'll probably be biased against him if he is.  I don't really have strong feelings about Jennings.  He's got two shows that air on the Game Show Network (MasterMinds and The Chase), where's he's the expert (or one of them) against whom "regular" contestants compete.  He doesn't really have a cocky attitude, so he seems a little out of place on those shows.

For the most part, I think the host of Jeopardy! needs to be like an umpire in baseball or NFL official.  The less you notice him, the better he's doing at his job.  Right now, anyone other than Alex seems out of place.

I used to watch "The Chase" with the Beast, Mark Labbett, and Holzauer was on there.  He had the personality of my sock.  I'm not a fan, myself. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »
You don't even like your own socks?  Damn, tough room.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 01:41:57 PM »
I used to watch "The Chase" with the Beast, Mark Labbett, and Holzauer was on there.  He had the personality of my sock.  I'm not a fan, myself.

That's the guy.  He and Jennings and Brad Rutter are filling the spot previously occupied by "the Beast."  I caught an episode last night where Jackie Fuchs (aka Jackie Fox) from the Runaways (and now a Harvard educated lawyer) was a contestant.  She did not do well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 07:35:12 PM »

I don't; I wear the ankle socks mostly, but I went with the cheap brand, and they rip and the elastic fails so they slide into my shoe. Annoying.   That's Holzauer's personality to me.  :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »
Jennings’ voice wasn’t powerful or commanding enough, but he gave a nice tribute to AT.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:39 PM »

I don't; I wear the ankle socks mostly, but I went with the cheap brand, and they rip and the elastic fails so they slide into my shoe. Annoying.   That's Holzauer's personality to me.  :)

Different priorities, I guess.  I spend more time wearing socks than not wearing socks, so I have to have socks I like.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:32 PM »
Ken is the right host at the right time. Don't know his or the show's long term plans, but like in sports, you don't want to be the guy who follows the legend. Better to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend. Who again coached UNC after Dean Smith and Before Roy Williams?

Apparently he sent out some insensitive tweets he had to apologize for. They were generally bad humor, but a couple were at the expense of Republicans, so a simple "Sorry 'bout that" was sufficient.

Looks like he was also born in the next town over from where I live. I did not know that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »
Ken is the right host at the right time. Don't know his or the show's long term plans, but like in sports, you don't want to be the guy who follows the legend. Better to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend. Who again coached UNC after Dean Smith and Before Roy Williams?

Apparently he sent out some insensitive tweets he had to apologize for. They were generally bad humor, but a couple were at the expense of Republicans, so a simple "Sorry 'bout that" was sufficient.

The show's plans are to have a series of "guest hosts," after which the producers will select a permanent successor to Trebek.  In addition to Jennings, Katie Couric and Aaron Rodgers will host a series of episodes.  I assume the inclusion of Rodgers (who won $50k for charity on a 2015 Celebrity Jeopardy! episode) means that not all of the guest hosts will be candidates to take over the job permanently, but who knows?  Based on the show's filming schedule, it's likely that each guest will do two weeks' worth of episodes.

As far as Jennings's tweets, from what I read, some were political, while others were jokes of the sort that someone trying to become a public figure probably shouldn't be making publicly (but at least one of which I thought was kinda funny).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2021, 04:54:03 PM »
The show's plans are to have a series of "guest hosts," after which the producers will select a permanent successor to Trebek.  In addition to Jennings, Katie Couric and Aaron Rodgers will host a series of episodes.  I assume the inclusion of Rodgers (who won $50k for charity on a 2015 Celebrity Jeopardy! episode) means that not all of the guest hosts will be candidates to take over the job permanently, but who knows?  Based on the show's filming schedule, it's likely that each guest will do two weeks' worth of episodes.

Add Bill Whitaker (a journalist and correspondent on 60 Minutes), Mayim Bialik and Jeopardy! executive producer Mike Richards to the list of confirmed guest hosts.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »
The guest host plan is probably the best, as no one is going to adequately fill Alex's shoes on a permanent basis right out of the gate. The memories are still too fresh, and the comparisons will thus never be fair.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:38 AM »
GOD, am I hard to please.  I just wrote a thing in the Star Wars thread about the animation in the Star Wars universe and now I'm here to say.... other than Aaron Rodgers, not one of those guests even remotely interests me.   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2021, 12:19:50 PM »
I read something a few weeks ago about Jennings not being interested in permanently being the host.

However, unlike some of the others, he is actually involved and producer of Jeopardy.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2021, 01:32:51 PM »
Jennings isn't a producer of Jeopardy.

The celebrity guest hosts (Rodgers and Bialik) will be a novelty, but I assume they're not under consideration for the permanent job.  Jennings is doing well, but he has other gigs and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't want the job.  Couric and Whitaker, as journalists, seem more likely, but I question whether they'd want to move from their more serious jobs.

Just remember, Trebek was anything but a star when he got the job.  A relative unknown would probably the best option.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2021, 04:00:28 PM »

Nice!  :tup

Anyway, I came here to say that Alex Trebek is one of the few game-show hosts who I actually knew by name before he took over hosting Jeopardy!  I'm old enough to remember original Jeopardy! with Art Fleming (that's why Weird Al's song "I Lost on Jeopardy" references Art Fleming and everybody today wonders who that is).  I'm not a game-show junkie, but the good ones can be pretty fun to watch.  Alex did Concentration, To Tell the Truth, and others before taking the Jeopardy! gig.  He seemed a bit drier than Art, but there's no question that he's a smart guy, and he made it work.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2021, 05:27:44 PM »
Nice!  :tup

Anyway, I came here to say that Alex Trebek is one of the few game-show hosts who I actually knew by name before he took over hosting Jeopardy!  I'm old enough to remember original Jeopardy! with Art Fleming (that's why Weird Al's song "I Lost on Jeopardy" references Art Fleming and everybody today wonders who that is).  I'm not a game-show junkie, but the good ones can be pretty fun to watch.  Alex did Concentration, To Tell the Truth, and others before taking the Jeopardy! gig.  He seemed a bit drier than Art, but there's no question that he's a smart guy, and he made it work.

LOL at the Google thing!

Trebek's first episode aired on September 10, 1984, which was seven months after Yankovic's In 3-D album was released and three months after "I Lost on Jeopardy" was released as a single.  I vividly remember both the Greg Kihn song and video on which Yankovic's song was based and the Yankovic parody.  I didn't realize until I just checked that they were released in such close proximity to Trebek's debut on the show (which was re-aired about a month ago).

I'm old enough to have seen the Art Fleming version, but I'm not sure if I ever did, but I don't recall being perplexed at the reference in the Yankovic song.  I knew Alex Trebek from High Rollers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »
I wasn't perplexed, but I have to imagine that most people younger than us were.  As you said, the Weird Al song came out while Art Fleming was still best known for Jeopardy!, but the show was gone, and it was shortly after that that Alex brought it back.  Also, the video lampoons the old Art Fleming set, not the nifty new LED-powered Alex Trebek set.  And to be fair, I've never actually heard anybody wonder who Art Fleming is or why he's mentioned in the Weird Al song, but I'm sure that today, if you ask anyone who the host of Jeopardy! was, they'd tell you it was Alex, not Art.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2021, 06:13:25 PM »
Jennings isn't a producer of Jeopardy.

https://www.jeopardy.com/about/cast/ken-jennings

Consulting Producer
KEN JENNINGS

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2021, 09:59:00 AM »
I watched him last night; better than I thought he'd be, but - and I know this makes me sound petty - his voice was a little annoying for a job that requires him to read 61 some-odd questions.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2021, 06:02:04 AM »
I watched him last night; better than I thought he'd be, but - and I know this makes me sound petty - his voice was a little annoying for a job that requires him to read 61 some-odd questions.

You new to the show?  He reads the answers.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2021, 07:20:58 AM »

You new to the show?  He reads the answers.
What show?   :) :)