A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29124 times)

Offline Harmony

Jeopardy
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »
I'm a geek.  I love Jeopardy.   :heart

Has anyone here ever auditioned to be on?  Has anyone here ever been on?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 09:01:38 PM »
In another life I'd watch Jeopardy every day. What a brilliant idea for a game show. So simple, yet so appealing and enduring. Time, family, and a limited attention span prevent that now.

I recall TempusVox talking about the audition process. Maybe it was someone else, but I feel like someone here wrote it about it at some point.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Jeopardy! has always been one of my favorite game shows.  So very simple: You get it right, you win cash.  You get it wrong, they take the cash away.  At the end, the one with the most cash gets to keep it, losers = weepers.

I'm old enough to remember the original with Art Fleming, but Alex Trebek is now forever associated with the game.  Same game, though.  I think they just made the numbers bigger.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 07:55:38 AM »
I've taken the test a couple times, but I haven't ever gotten past that stage.

If you're a Jeopardy fan (and I am, very much), you have to find the Cheers episode where Cliff gets on.  What is "Classic TV Episodes", Alex. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:11:39 AM »
I've taken the test a couple times, but I haven't ever gotten past that stage.

If you're a Jeopardy fan (and I am, very much), you have to find the Cheers episode where Cliff gets on.  What is "Classic TV Episodes", Alex.

Who are three people that have never been in my kitchen?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:41 AM »
When I was 19 (1995) I worked at a little mom and pop pizza restaurant. One of the delivery drivers was an old retired man. Everyday after the lunch rush....Jeopardy would come on at 3:00. It was usually not very busy so it'd be on and I'll be darn if Bob didn't know near every if not every answer to the questions. He was a freaking genius. We'd always just be in awe.

Then, we learned that Bob had a massive Satellite dish in his backyard and would catch that days episode of Jeopardy somehow in the morning before it actually was on air in St. Louis.....watch it.....then show up to work and fool us all into thinking he was some savant.  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
I know two people who've been on Wheel of Fortune. None that have tried out for Jeopardy.

For a long while the TV in the break room only got channel 8, so everybody at the shop was hooked on Jeopardy and One Life to Live. Left me with the realization that I'm strictly middle of the pack when it comes to trivia, and a real hankering for the women of Llanview.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »
When I was 19 (1995) I worked at a little mom and pop pizza restaurant. One of the delivery drivers was an old retired man. Everyday after the lunch rush....Jeopardy would come on at 3:00. It was usually not very busy so it'd be on and I'll be darn if Bob didn't know near every if not every answer to the questions. He was a freaking genius. We'd always just be in awe.

Then, we learned that Bob had a massive Satellite dish in his backyard and would catch that days episode of Jeopardy somehow in the morning before it actually was on air in St. Louis.....watch it.....then show up to work and fool us all into thinking he was some savant.  :lol

Similar story:  in college I worked construction, and one summer I was on a crew putting in water and gas lines.  Todd ran the backhoe/excavator, I did the leveling and grade work in the trench, and I can't remember his name but we'll call him Spicoli was a shovel guy.  Spicoli liked to smoke his morning break and lunch, and if he was more stoned than usual, Todd would break his balls.  Anyway, as we got nearer to break or lunch Spicoli would start asking "what time is it?"  And Todd would lean out of the cab look up at the sky in thought, and say "well, it seems to be about 11:45 or so, so we have a couple minutes... "  And Spicoli was always amazed.  Must've been 15 times that summer he was like "Man, that Todd is amazing, telling time by the sun like a goddamn Indian.  I gotta learn that!"    The laborers weren't supposed to run the equipment (for obvious reasons) but I was "college boy" so I got a break; later that summer, it started to rain one day, and the foreman Mick said "Stadler, go bring [Todd's machine] up to the staging area and close it up."   Sure thing, boss.  So I run down, turn the seat around to bring up the boom and stabilizers, and what do I see right below the window?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online pg1067

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
I DVR it and typically watch over the weekend, although I do occasionally miss episodes.

I have taken the online test multiple times and have done the next step auditions at least three times.  The first time was, I think, in the days before the online test.  It was at Sony Studios, so it may have been whatever was in place before they started the online test as the first step.  Since they started doing the online test, they do the next step at the Doubletree hotel off the 405 in Culver City.  They have you complete and bring some paperwork.  They take a Polaroid and then bring everyone (about 24-30 people) into a meeting room.  You do another 50 question test (basically the same thing as the online test), and then they bring you up in groups of 3 to play a mock game.  I did this most recently sometime in the first half of 2019, and I felt like I did better on the test than I have done previously, so I thought I might finally get "the call," but nothing yet.  I didn't do the most recent online test because they said to wait a year and a half before doing that.

I'm also a big fan of SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy (one of the few things Will Ferrell has done that I like) and Black Jeopardy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:29:26 PM »
I've done the online part of applying on two different occasions.  Never advanced past that point, but hope springs eternal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »
I hardly watch, but it's a great game show and being that it requires lots of knowledge, it's a bit more interesting to play along at home vs other game shows.

My high school English teacher was on Jeopardy and won his first night, lost his second.  He was my sponsor for national honors society.  Super smart guy with tons of random knowledge.  I hadn't thought of him in awhile, but a youtube search (which we didn't have back then) comes up empty to find video of him on it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 02:08:26 PM »
I DVR it and typically watch over the weekend, although I do occasionally miss episodes.

I have taken the online test multiple times and have done the next step auditions at least three times.  The first time was, I think, in the days before the online test.  It was at Sony Studios, so it may have been whatever was in place before they started the online test as the first step.  Since they started doing the online test, they do the next step at the Doubletree hotel off the 405 in Culver City.  They have you complete and bring some paperwork.  They take a Polaroid and then bring everyone (about 24-30 people) into a meeting room.  You do another 50 question test (basically the same thing as the online test), and then they bring you up in groups of 3 to play a mock game.  I did this most recently sometime in the first half of 2019, and I felt like I did better on the test than I have done previously, so I thought I might finally get "the call," but nothing yet.  I didn't do the most recent online test because they said to wait a year and a half before doing that.

I'm also a big fan of SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy (one of the few things Will Ferrell has done that I like) and Black Jeopardy.

"I'll take your mother for $200, Trebek!"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
This is the sound a doggy makes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 02:21:30 PM »
Well, I know somebody that won $14,100, thanks in large part to "Foods That Begin With the Letter Q."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 02:23:46 PM »
Well, I know somebody that won $14,100, thanks in large part to "Foods That Begin With the Letter Q."
Quiche, Quesadilla, Quinoa, Quail, and then I come up blank.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »
:lol  I don't remember all 5 that she got, but I believe quince was one of them. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
"I'll take your mother for $200, Trebek!"

"An Album Cover" becomes "Anal Bum Cover."

"Let It Snow" becomes "Le Tits Now."

:rollin :rollin

Quiche, Quesadilla, Quinoa, Quail, and then I come up blank.

Hmmm...the only time that category has been used on Jeopardy was on the Oct. 1, 1997 episode (ep. #3008) ( http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1144&highlight=foods+that+begin+with+the+letter+q ):

$200 - This member of the pheasant family can be roasted, broiled or fried.  WHAT IS QUAIL?

$400 - It's a tortilla that's been filled, folded and fried.  WHAT IS QUESADILLA?

$600 - This savory pie can have bacon bits added to the custard filling.  WHAT IS QUICHE?

$800 - This yellow-skinned fruit has been used for centuries in jams and jellies.  WHAT IS QUINCE?

$1,000 - Most biscuits are an example of these baked items that require little or no kneading.  WHAT ARE QUICK BREADS?

Contestant #1 (a man) correctly answered the $200 clue but buzzed in and didn't answer the $1,000 clue.  Contestant #3 (also a man) correctly answered the $400 and $800 clues.  Contestant #2 (a woman) correctly answered the $1,000 clue after contestant #1 flubbed it.  That woman finished the Double Jeopardy! round with $5,500 and lost it all on the Final Jeopardy! clue about the location of the first 24-hour 7-11 store (Las Vegas).

Thinking you got some bad info from your acquaintance, Bosk.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
Thinking you got some bad info from your acquaintance, Bosk.

No, it's a movie reference.  And it is believed by some that that category's actual appearance on the show was a result of the Jeopardy scene in that film 5 years earlier.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:07:50 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
That Cheers episode is CLASSIC.  I had to watch it again.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botdmsQilnU

And finally....celibacy.   :Rollin

Ok who are the 2 ppl who don't know what Jeopardy is?!?  :o

I'm a daily watcher.  I don't think that will continue once Alex is no longer host.  I hope that's not for a long time yet.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 07:28:31 AM »
That Cheers episode is CLASSIC.  I had to watch it again.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botdmsQilnU

And finally....celibacy.   :Rollin

Ok who are the 2 ppl who don't know what Jeopardy is?!?  :o

I'm a daily watcher.  I don't think that will continue once Alex is no longer host.  I hope that's not for a long time yet.

Harmony, I'm with you on that last comment.   Never say never, but I enjoy his hosting as much as anything else.  Honestly, I'm usually not enamored with the guests; I was never a Ken Jennings fan, and I really do not like that new guy Holzauer.  He made the rounds of the various quiz shows about a year or so ago, maybe more.  He was on that show with the British quizmaster Mark Labbett then this other show 500 Questions, and I thought he was a tool then. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 09:35:04 PM »
I generally get bored with multi-show winners after about 5-10 episodes.  The current champ is a relatively young woman who is fairly likeable and has won I think 8 episodes.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 06:32:18 PM »
I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming as host, Don Pardo as announcer.  Back then, an undefeated left after five shows.  Wish they'd limit it to ten.  They also kept all their money, so it made 'Final Jeopardy' a bit more interesting on wagers ("Should I gamble it all and possibly lose it all with the chance to win, or be safe and take home what I've earned?")  Then again, each 'answer' was worth 10x less back then.

It took me a long time to get used to Alex, having watched him host one game show called 'High Rollers'.  When the time comes, no one will be able to fill his shoes, but the show definitely should go on.  Didn't realize that Johnny Gilbert has worked with Alex since Day One.

I love trivia, and though I'm watching the screen blankly quite often while my wife is on a roll, I more than hold my own often enough with a bit of luck or sifting through a clue.  We love to raise both arms when we're correct and no contestants answers, (twice with an incorrect w/no answer, etc), especially when it is 'Final Jeopardy'. 

A pet peeve of ours is how overly finicky they are at times, which we call their 'Sgt. Pepper' moments (an incorrect final question, as it was required to write the entire name of the album for the correct response :tdwn)

I'm guessing April 20th will be the first televised without an audience.  They did a few weeks worth that way before stopping production a few weeks back.

btw...thanks for the youtube link for the 'Cheers' episode.  Now my wife knows what I've referred to often. Wish the whole episode was available.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:37:45 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online pg1067

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 11:46:20 AM »
I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming as host, Don Pardo as announcer.  Back then, an undefeated left after five shows.  Wish they'd limit it to ten.  They also kept all their money, so it made 'Final Jeopardy' a bit more interesting on wagers ("Should I gamble it all and possibly lose it all with the chance to win, or be safe and take home what I've earned?")  Then again, each 'answer' was worth 10x less back then.

Wow...I just watched part of an episode from 1974.  They apparently allowed contestants to buzz in at any time.  It's interesting to see stuff that I guess was common knowledge back then, and I had no clue about most of the clues!  Seeing the clues worth only $10-50 was quite amusing.

By the way...for anyone interested, you can now take the contestant test at any time at www.jeopardy.com.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »

I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming as host, Don Pardo as announcer.  Back then, an undefeated lef
btw...thanks for the youtube link for the 'Cheers' episode.  Now my wife knows what I've referred to often. Wish the whole episode was available.

It looks like Cheers is on Netflix.  Possibly also on Hulu and CBS All Access, if Google is to be believed.

Online pg1067

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 01:58:58 PM »

I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming as host, Don Pardo as announcer.  Back then, an undefeated lef

It looks like Cheers is on Netflix.  Possibly also on Hulu and CBS All Access, if Google is to be believed.

Yup...Cheers is on Netflix.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 06:00:18 PM »
Still an audience.  And we watched the 'Cheers' episode on Netlfix after BCS.  Thank you for that tip.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »
I know!  I keep waiting for the end of normalcy.  And Alex is looking pretty good.  I know he's got a lot of makeup on and a toupee, but still!!  :tup

And I loved James Holzhauer.  Primarily because Alex seemed to get such a kick from him.  And I have to admit, I was unsure at first but I definitely warmed up to him.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 11:36:54 AM »
They replayed the end of Ken Jennings' streak on Friday.  The reaction of the 'king slayer' was priceless.  From their Fbook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Jeopardy/photos/a.187939387923652/3240706262646934/?type=3&theater

(and, 'yea, me', I got the Final Jeopardy question correct :tup)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2020, 11:52:17 AM »
I'd never seen that video before. Nice job on the cameraman and director to cut to her at that moment. And that picture!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online pg1067

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 12:16:02 PM »
They replayed the end of Ken Jennings' streak on Friday.  The reaction of the 'king slayer' was priceless.  From their Fbook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Jeopardy/photos/a.187939387923652/3240706262646934/?type=3&theater

(and, 'yea, me', I got the Final Jeopardy question correct :tup)

That's hilarious!  I watched the episode over the weekend (and also saw it when it first aired).  I remember thinking the question was super easy and was as shocked as the audience when Ken biffed it.  They played a little blurb from Ken right after the show where he said that, when he saw "seasonal" in the clue, his mind immediately went to the Christmas season and that he never even considered something like tax preparation.  That's where my mind went first also, but then when you take into account "white collar" and the four month time span in the clue, it becomes pretty obvious.  The funny thing was that Nancy was a one-hit wonder who lost the next day.

I'd never seen that video before. Nice job on the cameraman and director to cut to her at that moment. And that picture!

I assume the director knew before the answers were revealed that Ken had the wrong answer wrong and so made sure to have a camera on Nancy.  The rest was just editing since it wasn't a live broadcast.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »
They played a little blurb from Ken right after the show where he said that, when he saw "seasonal" in the clue, his mind immediately went to the Christmas season and that he never even considered something like tax preparation.  That's where my mind went first also, but then when you take into account "white collar" and the four month time span in the clue, it becomes pretty obvious. 

I read about the story after so didn't have a chance to think about the clue first. But H&R Block never would have occurred to me because I have always done my own taxes. If you asked me what H&R Block was, it would take me a minute to give you an answer.

Just read this about James Holzhauer:
He took a year off from his occupation as a sports gambler to study for Jeopardy!
Granted "sports gambler' is not a standard, punch the time clock, 9-5, 40 hours a week type job, but still, damn.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2020, 03:12:07 PM »
Reruns started last week.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 04:23:48 PM »
Alex is back tonight  :tup

Online pg1067

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »