A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29671 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2021, 10:25:32 AM »
On another note, around Thanksgiving, I took the online test.  About a week later, I got an email telling me I passed and asking me to schedule an interview/live test via Zoom.  I actually forgot to schedule, so now I have to wait until they schedule some more after the new year.  Ugh....

So...I'm set for my "in person" (via Zoom) test/audition this coming Wednesday!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2021, 02:55:04 PM »
On another note, around Thanksgiving, I took the online test.  About a week later, I got an email telling me I passed and asking me to schedule an interview/live test via Zoom.  I actually forgot to schedule, so now I have to wait until they schedule some more after the new year.  Ugh....

YAY! 

Rooting for you.

By the way, I've been watching lately, and while I've been vocal in not liking Ken Jennings before, he's growing on me.  I like him as host.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »
YAY! 

Rooting for you.

By the way, I've been watching lately, and while I've been vocal in not liking Ken Jennings before, he's growing on me.  I like him as host.

Thanks.

I agree about Jennings, but I think it's interesting that they did this many episodes with him.  Lots of folks are becoming attached to him and not looking forward to the rest of the many guest hosts.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »

That's awesome!  Good luck!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2021, 04:53:01 PM »
Thanks, Hef!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
Received the following email this morning:

"Congratulations! You passed the 'In-Person' Test!

We are currently working on when the next step in your Jeopardy! Contestant Audition process will take place.  Please be aware it may take a while before we can book you into that next step.  Thank you for your patience.  We’ll be in touch.

-The Jeopardy! Contestant Team"

Not sure what the next step will be, but....!

In other news, I believe Katie Couric's tenure as guest host begins tonight.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »

We are currently working on when the next step in your Jeopardy! Contestant Audition process will take place.  Please be aware it may take a while before we can book you into that next step.  Thank you for your patience.  We’ll be in touch.

:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2021, 03:30:54 PM »

NICE!

I was thinking the other day about things like Tik Tok viral videos, memes, Ridiculousness, game shows, Pron Hub, - all those content outlets where there are so-called "real people", and I don't think I've ever seen anyone I personally know on one of those.  I was going to include live shots from music DVDs, but I'm sure from people here I know at least one person, I just don't realize it.

If you include gameshows, I'm claiming you as the first! 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2021, 04:16:43 PM »

NICE!

I was thinking the other day about things like Tik Tok viral videos, memes, Ridiculousness, game shows, Pron Hub, - all those content outlets where there are so-called "real people", and I don't think I've ever seen anyone I personally know on one of those.  I was going to include live shots from music DVDs, but I'm sure from people here I know at least one person, I just don't realize it.

If you include gameshows, I'm claiming you as the first!

We'll see about that.

I think I've already posted about this...I was on a different game show back in late 2002.  A year or so earlier, I had gone through the process to try and get on Win Ben Stein's Money.  Some time in the fall of 2002, I was driving home from work and got a call on my mobile phone from whomever was doing the casting.  They said they were doing a new game show and asked if I'd be interested.  I said sure!  The show was called WinTuition, and the premise was that you'd answer "grade level appropriate" questions from 1st through 12th grade.  The grand prize was $50k to be used either for your own college education or to put in a 529 account for someone else.  I showed up and was matched against a couple young/mid-20s women, and I pretty much smoked them.  Unfortunately, I didn't get enough questions right during the final round to win the $50k.  I won somewhere around $2,500 cash, a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul, a river rafting trip, and some camping equipment.  Unfortunately for you all, my episode does not appear to have been uploaded to YouTube or anywhere else online.

I also had a sister on Wheel of Fortune sometime in the late 80s.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »
When I was a senior in high school, my Quiz Bowl team was on local TV for a show called High Q.  We finished 3rd.

Closest I've ever been to being on a game show lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2021, 07:45:55 AM »
I was going to include live shots from music DVDs, but I'm sure from people here I know at least one person, I just don't realize it.

Nick made an appearance on the Time Machine DVD.  I think Cram got his mug on Redemption / Alive in Colour.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2021, 08:16:05 AM »
When I was a senior in high school, my Quiz Bowl team was on local TV for a show called High Q.  We finished 3rd.

:lol

I can do you one better, or worse I suppose.  I was the alternate for our high school Quiz Bowl team.  Our team was pretty good, and was on the broadcast a few times, but I was never on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
I was going to include live shots from music DVDs, but I'm sure from people here I know at least one person, I just don't realize it.

Nick made an appearance on the Time Machine DVD.  I think Cram got his mug on Redemption / Alive in Colour.

Where?  I just watched that; I was pleasantly surprised by the high incidence of attractive females in the first few rows.  It was almost like they stole the crowd shots from a Billy Joel DVD.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2021, 10:12:29 AM »

:lol

I can do you one better, or worse I suppose.  I was the alternate for our high school Quiz Bowl team.  Our team was pretty good, and was on the broadcast a few times, but I was never on.
:tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »

Where?  I just watched that; I was pleasantly surprised by the high incidence of attractive females in the first few rows.  It was almost like they stole the crowd shots from a Billy Joel DVD.

Nick would probably have to confirm the exact time-stamp.  It's been a while since I watched it.  I don't even remember what song it was in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
The Jeopardy Executive Producer did a great job during his two weeks filling in as host.

Katie Couric has done well in her two nights.

I keep waiting for a category titled 'Newspapers and Magazines (You Have Read)'   ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »
The Jeopardy Executive Producer did a great job during his two weeks filling in as host.

I thought Mike Richards was pretty good, but there were a lot of odd pauses before he would confirm correct responses.  Haven't yet watched any of the Couric episodes.  I usually "binge" the five episodes for a week over the following weekend.  Given Couric's experience, it's not surprising to hear she's doing well.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2021, 05:56:08 AM »

I thought Mike Richards was pretty good, but there were a lot of odd pauses before he would confirm correct responses.  Haven't yet watched any of the Couric episodes.  I usually "binge" the five episodes for a week over the following weekend.  Given Couric's experience, it's not surprising to hear she's doing well.

I noticed those odd pauses from Ken.....and even from Alex. I think a lot of times there is some interpretation going on as to whether or not an answer is acceptable.....to the point where they need to verify right after the response is given by the contestant. Often they will explain if the answer is in the neighborhood, but still deem it incorrect. But if they allow it as is....often because it's a slight variation.....they won't explain. I think that is the pause.

I would not agree that Couric is doing all that well. She's doing okay. I have seen reactions ranging from "painful" to "comfortable" (which, comfortable to me in this context....is a euphemism for "okay"). Painful is way too harsh.....though she's not exactly dynamic. Does someone need to be dynamic as a host of this show? No. The host should be a facilitator.....not the star. Alex became more of a "star" by proxy and longevity as much as by personality/charm.

I thought Richards was good. I thought Jennings was good. Both moved things along very well....Jennings especially. A lot of that is how fluid of a reader you are.....and Couric reads relatively slowly. Last night they didn't finish a first round......not because of the contestants stalling in between selections or missing a lot of "answers".....rather because of her somewhat languid reading style.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2021, 08:08:20 AM »
So, I feel neutered here, since I REALLY don't like Katie Couric as a matter of course, but I didn't really like Ken Jennings all that much either, but I'm turning into a fan.  I liked his stint as host - and would support him getting the job full time - and I've liked him the one or two times I've seen him on The Chase (though Holzauer (sp) is still excruciating to watch). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2021, 09:19:59 AM »
I'm 100% certain that there are times where there are edits between the contestant's response and the host's acknowledgment.  However, I never really noticed the pauses with Alex and didn't notice them with Ken.  I haven't yet watched any of the Couric episodes, so I can't really comment on her performance.

According to things I've read, Jennings has said he doesn't want the permanent job (for whatever reason).  Jennings has both The Chase and Masterminds going on right now.  I think he'll maintain his recent "consulting producer" status.

My guess is that none of the guest hosts will get or are angling to get the job.  I'm guessing that they're doing stuff behind the scenes and that we'll get someone a bit more unknown than any of them.  We shall see.

I've liked him the one or two times I've seen him on The Chase (though Holzauer (sp) is still excruciating to watch). 

I'm curious why you say that.  I think I know, but I don't want to ask a leading question.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2021, 03:19:43 PM »
Holzauer?  He just has no personality to me.  I used to watch the old "Chase", with the Beast, Mark Labbett.  When he would sit at the top of the ladder and talk smack it was believable.    When James would talk smack - primarily at the "bid" stage where they decide how many steps the contestant would have to make - it was just... no.  Totally lame and unbelievable.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
Holzauer?  He just has no personality to me.  I used to watch the old "Chase", with the Beast, Mark Labbett.  When he would sit at the top of the ladder and talk smack it was believable.    When James would talk smack - primarily at the "bid" stage where they decide how many steps the contestant would have to make - it was just... no.  Totally lame and unbelievable.

OK...yeah.  The current version of the Chase is inferior in just about every way.  I love the way Brooke Burns used to root hard for the contestants.  Labbett had WAY more natural personality than any of Jennings, Rutter or Holzauer.  He would talk smack, say "gotcha!" but, at the end of the day, he could be very complimentary to the contestants, and he seemed to genuinely appreciate it when a contestant or team would give him a good challenge and/or beat him.  Of the three current chasers, Rutter has the best personality, but I saw him get absolutely smoked on a recent episode, and it was kind of embarrassing.  Also, Burns and Labbett had great chemistry with each other.  About the only thing I like better about the current version is that the two chasers who aren't playing sit backstage and critique the chaser's performance (as well as that of the team).

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2021, 06:05:50 PM »
We did get a chuckle seeing the Final Jeopardy category tonight:  Foreign Newspapers. :D

Moving on:  Katie has done just fine on her first ‘day’.  As to not getting to all the clues, she didn’t have to give the ‘one minute warning’ tonight.  Perhaps due to less wrong answers, and less time taken by contestants to pick a category and amount.  It is grating how they jump from one category to another to another AND then often hesitate while doing so.  Not that any of these happened when Alex was host  ;)

My biggest pet peeve of contestants, and often why not all the clues are revealed, is also due to contestants. Envision a category titled ‘Official Dream Theater Studio Albums With Mike Mangini As Drummer’.

Some contestants will request “Dream Theater for $400” or “Albums For $400”.  But then... too often you end up getting contestants like last night’s defending champ, who will say “Official Dream Theater Studio Albums With Mike Mangini As Drummer for $400”.  They will even do so when it’s the last category left.  And then they’ll say the entire category title again for the next clue. :facepalm:

I wouldn’t mind if they find a group of hosts and rotate them every month for the next year.  Or two.  I'd like to see Richards and Jennings come back for a month at a time.  And Couric probably did better on her second day that week. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »
My biggest pet peeve of contestants, and often why not all the clues are revealed, is also due to contestants. Envision a category titled ‘Official Dream Theater Studio Albums With Mike Mangini As Drummer’.

Some contestants will request “Dream Theater for $400” or “Albums For $400”.  But then... too often you end up getting contestants like last night’s defending champ, who will say “Official Dream Theater Studio Albums With Mike Mangini As Drummer for $400”.  They will even do so when it’s the last category left.  And then they’ll say the entire category title again for the next clue. :facepalm:

The last time I attended the actual in-person audition, the contestant coordinator made this very point:  the FIRST time you call for a particular category, say the entire category name, but after that, shorten the name.  She said that she runs through the same instructions with the actual contestants on filming days and during breaks in filming.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2021, 10:10:31 AM »

The last time I attended the actual in-person audition, the contestant coordinator made this very point:  the FIRST time you call for a particular category, say the entire category name, but after that, shorten the name.  She said that she runs through the same instructions with the actual contestants on filming days and during breaks in filming.

See, I understand the shorthand, but my pet peeve is too far the other way.    Start out "Official Dream Theater Studio Albums With Mike Mangini As Drummer for $400, Alex”, then everything after is a brusque, curt "$600" or "$800", without barely a reference to the category.  I get it, I do, but there's a line for me.  Then again, I've never been on one of these shows, so what do I know?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2021, 04:00:10 PM »
Maybe they're just nervous because they're on a "live" TV game show, and just read the entire category anyway, because some people just do that.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2021, 05:18:23 PM »
Had no idea until Monday night that Dr. Quack was going to be the guest host.  Well, the wife and I will have to find something else to do the next couple of weeks.

Guess we're not the only ones who are upset.

https://www.salon.com/2021/03/24/backlash-to-dr-oz-hosting-jeopardy-grows-past-contestants-protest-angry-fans-call-for-boycott/

Offline pg1067

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »
Had no idea until Monday night that Dr. Quack was going to be the guest host.  Well, the wife and I will have to find something else to do the next couple of weeks.

Guess we're not the only ones who are upset.

https://www.salon.com/2021/03/24/backlash-to-dr-oz-hosting-jeopardy-grows-past-contestants-protest-angry-fans-call-for-boycott/

A bunch of folks whined about Katie Couric too.  I thought she was fine, although I liked her the least of the three I've seen so far).  I haven't watched this week's episodes yet, but if whoever this guy is does a decent job hosting, I couldn't give a rip about what he did or said outside of the context of the show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2021, 09:50:45 AM »
You aren't familiar with Dr. Oz?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
I am familiar with Dr. Oz (though not a fan; his daughter on the other hand...), and I'm with PG.  I have as many problems with Anderson Cooper and Katie Couric being host as Dr. Oz.  This sort of arbitrary "vetting" is ridiculous.  If you (general, not you Hef, or DragonAttack) have a problem, make your point and move on. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
You aren't familiar with Dr. Oz?

I'm familiar with the name, but that's about it.  I know more about Dr. Ruth, Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil than I know about Dr. Oz.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2021, 12:13:09 PM »
I am familiar with Dr. Oz (though not a fan; his daughter on the other hand...), and I'm with PG.  I have as many problems with Anderson Cooper and Katie Couric being host as Dr. Oz.  This sort of arbitrary "vetting" is ridiculous.  If you (general, not you Hef, or DragonAttack) have a problem, make your point and move on.
Man, it's good that I didn't have a real point!  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »
Man, it's good that I didn't have a real point!  :)

I didn't think you did (I mean that nicely).  I was venting generally; it's Jeopardy for pete's sake.  There was all this judgment in that article about what "Jeopardy" stood for, and it made me upset.  For me, what Jeopardy stood for was checking all that shit at the door.  No one asks whether you're pro-science or anti-science or pro-Trump or pro-Biden or any of that to join Jeopardy club.  JUst... can you answer the questions in the form of a question.  Period.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2021, 01:52:53 PM »
Yep, I get that.  I mean, I've heard some weird things about Oz, but I think all of this is really overblown.

Just like everything else.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
Weird Al should be the new host since he "Lost on Jeopardy".  🤪
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP