A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29562 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #420 on: April 28, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »
WEDNESDAY:  Where did it say "brothers", or was that an implication from "Hollywood"?  I never even went to Marx or Warner.  I was thinking something referring to a common name (thus, Wilson, though I looked it up and he died three years before).
The entire question implies "brothers" or at least "close relatives"; why else would 3 miss because a 4th had died?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #421 on: April 28, 2023, 03:41:57 PM »
By the way, I said "Jack Lord" as a hint, not as my answer; I know they were asking for the show, I was trying to not give too many spoilers.

Well, there you go.  I misunderstood what you wrote.

WEDNESDAY:  Where did it say "brothers", or was that an implication from "Hollywood"?  I never even went to Marx or Warner.  I was thinking something referring to a common name (thus, Wilson, though I looked it up and he died three years before). 

"Last name of 3 men" and "a 4th of that name" implies either brothers or family members.  You're right that it didn't have to be brothers.  Could've been the Barrymores, although I don't know how many of them there were.

Who's the "Wilson" you're thinking of?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #422 on: May 01, 2023, 07:47:30 AM »
By the way, I said "Jack Lord" as a hint, not as my answer; I know they were asking for the show, I was trying to not give too many spoilers.

Well, there you go.  I misunderstood what you wrote.

"Last name of 3 men" and "a 4th of that name" implies either brothers or family members.  You're right that it didn't have to be brothers.  Could've been the Barrymores, although I don't know how many of them there were.

Who's the "Wilson" you're thinking of?

Woodrow; no brothers, but "Wilson" being a common name....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2023, 08:33:35 AM »
Kudos, Paul, on your performance in last night's show!  My more intelligent wife was really impressed.  :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #424 on: May 03, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
Kudos, Paul, on your performance in last night's show!  My more intelligent wife was really impressed.  :tup

More intelligent than you, or more intelligent than PG?  :lol

I didn't watch it, but caught some videos this morning. Sucks they gave you the Eros answer wrong. But good job though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2023, 10:29:49 AM »
Thanks guys!  If you're interested, I posted a bunch of thoughts in the thread on the General Discussion board.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: May 08, 2023, 11:48:48 AM »
Did you guys see they found the "Barbara Lowe" tapes? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #427 on: May 08, 2023, 12:41:48 PM »
I had never heard about this, but just read a story.

WOW.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #428 on: May 08, 2023, 01:22:39 PM »
I had never heard about this, but just read a story.

WOW.

I had never heard about this before last week either (I don't think I was watching the show that early in its run).  It's an interesting story, but it was disappointing that, despite J-Archive having the footage, it hasn't been made available to watch.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #429 on: May 08, 2023, 01:47:15 PM »
Heck of a story.  Kinda sad, too.

Link

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: May 10, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »
Thought I'd insert a reference point here, for when Paul's comments slide off of Page 1 of the General Discussion page

PG1067's FINAL JEOPARDY ROUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8XVG1EZvd0

a recap  https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/05/final-jeopardy-5-2-2023.html

fan comments regarding 'eros'  https://www.tvinsider.com/1091527/jeopardy-fans-react-controversial-double-jeopardy-clue/

https://www.tvinsider.com/1091527/jeopardy-fans-react-controversial-double-jeopardy-clue/

and the General Discussion link of his appearance   https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58308.0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:26:07 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: May 10, 2023, 05:03:09 PM »
^
Having posted the above, I have wanted to chime in on the 'Jeopardy Masters' tournament. 

The competitions so far have been GREAT stuff!  We were both worn out from the second night's games.  Always impressed with the knowledge of the contestants, but the clues last night were mostly unknown in this household. 

That, and just how personable all six have been with each other.  There's been a ton of respect shown on that stage, along with many fun and clever comments.   :tup
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 03:24:25 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2023, 08:17:08 AM »
I liked James' challenge to Ken in Final Jeopardy. :)  I do get the sense there's a respect there if not friendship (they were on The Chase together) and that makes it fun, to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2023, 08:20:37 AM »
I have really been enjoying the Masters Tournament!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2023, 09:39:55 AM »
fan comments regarding 'eros'  https://www.tvinsider.com/1091527/jeopardy-fans-react-controversial-double-jeopardy-clue/
https://www.tvinsider.com/1091527/jeopardy-fans-react-controversial-double-jeopardy-clue/

A coworker actually found an "article" with a headline to the effect that Jeopardy fans were upset because I was "screwed over" by the whole Eros thing.  It was really a collection of social media posts, and I found it amusing.  That said, they did a "second chance" tournament last year, so I'm hoping they do it again and I get a shot.  :-)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #435 on: May 12, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »

A coworker actually found an "article" with a headline to the effect that Jeopardy fans were upset because I was "screwed over" by the whole Eros thing.  It was really a collection of social media posts, and I found it amusing.  That said, they did a "second chance" tournament last year, so I'm hoping they do it again and I get a shot.  :-)

Hell yes!!
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #436 on: May 15, 2023, 02:36:02 PM »
Jeopardy Masters is back tonight!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: May 15, 2023, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #438 on: May 16, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »
Sam is great.  But they've ALL been great at various times in this tournament, even James and Matt, whom I normally don't care for.

I have really loved seeing the contestants cut up with each other in this tournament.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »
Late to the game with this one:  It's interesting to see how things play out.  Hannah qualified for the TOC by winning her fourth game last Monday.  She ended up winning four more games, but her streak should have ended last Tuesday (May 9).  The three contestants went into Final Jeopardy with the following scores:

Hannah:  $26,000
Raquel:  $14,400
Joe:  $5,800

The clue in "Actresses & Their Roles" was, "She made her big screen debut as a teen named Laurie in a 1978 film & in 2022 she played that role for the 7th & last time."  I thought this one was fairly easy:  Jamie Leigh Curtiss.

Joe was correct and almost doubled his score to $11,598.

Raquel was correct but bet an inexplicable $8,000 to finish with $22,400

Hannah was wrong (but almost right - she just wrote, "Who is Leigh?").  She made slightly more than a standard cover wager of $3,000 (i.e., if she had been right, Raquel could not have caught her), so she finished at $23,000 and won by $600.

Had Raquel made a better wager, she'd have won.  There's just no logic to wagering $8,000 instead of at least $8,801, which would have put her ahead of Hannah with a standard cover bet and an incorrect question.  According to a social media post I saw, Raquel claimed to have made a mathematical error when calculating her wager.  The look on her face at the end said it all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2023, 12:57:11 PM »
Late to the game with this one:  It's interesting to see how things play out.  Hannah qualified for the TOC by winning her fourth game last Monday.  She ended up winning four more games, but her streak should have ended last Tuesday (May 9).  The three contestants went into Final Jeopardy with the following scores:

Hannah:  $26,000
Raquel:  $14,400
Joe:  $5,800

The clue in "Actresses & Their Roles" was, "She made her big screen debut as a teen named Laurie in a 1978 film & in 2022 she played that role for the 7th & last time."  I thought this one was fairly easy:  Jamie Leigh Curtiss.

Joe was correct and almost doubled his score to $11,598.

Raquel was correct but bet an inexplicable $8,000 to finish with $22,400

Hannah was wrong (but almost right - she just wrote, "Who is Leigh?").  She made slightly more than a standard cover wager of $3,000 (i.e., if she had been right, Raquel could not have caught her), so she finished at $23,000 and won by $600.

Had Raquel made a better wager, she'd have won.  There's just no logic to wagering $8,000 instead of at least $8,801, which would have put her ahead of Hannah with a standard cover bet and an incorrect question.  According to a social media post I saw, Raquel claimed to have made a mathematical error when calculating her wager.  The look on her face at the end said it all.
Yeah, that sucked for her.

I listen to the Jeopardy podcast, and the producers that make it explained that, I guess other than that game, Hannah has been playing at a level comparable to the people playing in the Masters tournament (although obviously not for the same extravagant lengths of time that some of them did).  They were using some metrics that looked at number of questions answered correctly, and when and where those were, not at money won.

Of course, she kind of got screwed last night, since they brought back another continuing champ who had had his run interrupted by scheduling earlier this year.  What a slaughter that was.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #441 on: May 16, 2023, 01:19:54 PM »
I haven't seen this week's episodes, but I did see that she lost.

I watched her first game, which was the next one after mine (May 3).  I didn't stick around for the post-lunch break games (May 4 & 5).  She smoked Kevin to end his run, and her first title defense was even more convincing ($45,200 to $8,201 to $100), but her second title defense was much less convincing.  She had a $4,100 lead going into FJ and won by $3 using a standard cover wager.  It was a sports clue (why couldn't I have gotten that!), and she only got it correct because it was about her hometown team (the Cubs).  Her average for her 8 wins was nearly $29k.  Super impressive.  Kevin told me he was happy to be able to say he lost to someone like Hannah.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: May 25, 2023, 04:42:38 PM »
The 'Masters' final was last night.  Wow, I'm worn out!

We were exhausted after each session, needing about 15 minutes every night to somewhat catch our breaths before watching the second contest.  Simply amazed at the knowledge of all of them, especially since my wife and I sat in silence for long spells with no clue to three quarters of the correct responses, while the contestants were rattling off responses left and right.

I thought James was a bit too much off a horse's behind at times, but that's who he is.  Mattea wasn't a favorite during her initial run, and Matt drove us nuts with his 'What is Lennon?', 'What is McCartney?' responses during his initial run.  This competition allowed us to learn so much about who they are (along with Amy, Andrew, and Sam), and the friendships that have been created due to their successes and personalities.

:tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #443 on: May 26, 2023, 08:52:48 AM »
I absolutely loved the Masters Tournament, and I was pleased to hear it will come back again next year!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2023, 09:12:57 PM »
So...the writers' strike is going to postpone the next Tournament of Champions.  In a Facebook group for Jeopardy contestants, 13-game winner Ray Lalonde posted that, as long as the writers' strike persisted, he would not participate in the TOC, and he encouraged other likely TOC participants to do likewise.  The post came across as a bit sanctimonious to me, but I'm not a union guy.  His post got picked up by the media.  I don't know if it was a direct response to Lalonde's post, but Jeopardy announced that it wouldn't do the TOC until the strike was over.

Lalonde's post also cited "credible sources" that Jeopardy was going to produce regular episodes with recycled questions from past seasons.  I don't know who Lalonde's sources are or whether that's true, but I do know that Jeopardy has a significant bank of questions that were written before the strike.

Of course, Ken Jennings finished up the last season because Mayim Bialik declined to honor the writers' strike (this was before SAG-AFTRA also went on strike).  Someone even went so far as to email SAG-AFTRA to inquire whether a contestant who "crossed the picket line" to appear on Jeopardy while the strike was pending would be barred from future membership (the response was no).

To date, Jeopardy has 13 qualified TOC contestants (including the winners of the celebrity and HS reunion tournaments).  I don't have any idea if they'll be doing another second-chance tournament, but if they do, I'll absolutely participate regardless of any strike (although I certainly hope the strikes get resolved sooner than later).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2023, 05:26:11 PM »
So...the writers' strike is going to postpone the next Tournament of Champions.  In a Facebook group for Jeopardy contestants, 13-game winner Ray Lalonde posted that, as long as the writers' strike persisted, he would not participate in the TOC, and he encouraged other likely TOC participants to do likewise.  The post came across as a bit sanctimonious to me, but I'm not a union guy.  His post got picked up by the media.  I don't know if it was a direct response to Lalonde's post, but Jeopardy announced that it wouldn't do the TOC until the strike was over.

Lalonde's post also cited "credible sources" that Jeopardy was going to produce regular episodes with recycled questions from past seasons.  I don't know who Lalonde's sources are or whether that's true, but I do know that Jeopardy has a significant bank of questions that were written before the strike.

Of course, Ken Jennings finished up the last season because Mayim Bialik declined to honor the writers' strike (this was before SAG-AFTRA also went on strike).  Someone even went so far as to email SAG-AFTRA to inquire whether a contestant who "crossed the picket line" to appear on Jeopardy while the strike was pending would be barred from future membership (the response was no).

To date, Jeopardy has 13 qualified TOC contestants (including the winners of the celebrity and HS reunion tournaments).  I don't have any idea if they'll be doing another second-chance tournament, but if they do, I'll absolutely participate regardless of any strike (although I certainly hope the strikes get resolved sooner than later).

Am I misunderstanding you? If she declined to honor the strike, wouldn't she then be appearing?   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2023, 05:38:43 PM »
No.  I mis-typed.  She declined to host through the end of the season (as she was scheduled to do) in order to honor the writers' strike.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: August 10, 2023, 04:20:34 PM »
No idea who is going to host the 40th season.

https://www.etonline.com/jeopardy-season-40-will-use-repeat-questions-and-contestants-due-to-wga-strike-209399

As to after 'The Masters' tournament, we tuned out Mayim after a couple nights of 'yup', 'nope', and 'okee dokee' responses until Ken came back.  Enjoying the reruns just fine.

They should just replay Alex's old shows until the strike is over, instead of their proposed plans.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #448 on: August 10, 2023, 05:02:44 PM »
Damn...they upped the second and third place prizes!

Not sure why Ken wouldn't be hosting the show until the strikes are done (just as he did with the final couple weeks of last season when Mayim bailed out in support of the WGA strike (and before SAG-AFTRA struck)).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #449 on: August 11, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »
They should just replay Alex's old shows until the strike is over, instead of their proposed plans.
Those are on the Jeopardy channel on Pluto.  Fun stuff.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #450 on: August 12, 2023, 11:17:47 AM »
I swear I heard there was progress being made with the writer's strike.  Maybe I hallucinated it.

Anyway, thanks Hef for that info.  We had a power outage on Wednesday (I was in the shower, pitch black...so happy I made it out alive, LoL) and ever since then our cable box and our TV is not syncing so we have been missing Jeopardy's 2nd chance tournament.  I trust they are still being DVR'd.

But we are able to access our streaming channels so will definitely check out some Alex classics until we get this sorted. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #451 on: August 12, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »
I swear I heard there was progress being made with the writer's strike.  Maybe I hallucinated it.

Per Wikipedia (which is well-sourced):  "On August 10, 2023, the AMPTP and the WGA agreed to resume contract negotiations, with the first meeting set for August 11.  After that meeting, the Writers Guild sent a note to its 11,500 members saying Ms. Lombardi [this person is not identified by her full name in the Wiki article] had indicated a willingness by studios to sweeten their contract offer in some areas, including finding ways to safeguard writers from artificial intelligence technology.  The note added, however, that Ms. Lombardini had said studios 'were not willing to engage' on other Writers Guild proposals, including success-based residual payments from streaming services.  The note said guild leaders would not return to negotiations until studios were willing to engage on all proposals."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2023, 09:53:09 PM »
Rats

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #453 on: September 11, 2023, 03:49:09 PM »
New shows start tonight. Who's going to watch? Or will you not watch to stand with the writers?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #454 on: September 11, 2023, 04:22:32 PM »
I believe that this week's (and maybe also next week's) episodes are a "second chance" tournament for contestants from season 37 (which I think would have been the 2020-21 TV season).  It's kinda interesting because it suggests I might have an opportunity to return as long as a year or two from now.

I will watch anything new.  I don't know enough about the two sides' competing positions to know who is "right" or "wrong" (it's not like this is a factory owner seeking to force children to work 12-hour days), so I have no reason to "stand with the writers."  Rather, I side with my own personal interest in being entertained.