A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29678 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #385 on: March 01, 2023, 09:10:47 AM »
Congratulations, Paul !!!!   :tup

Were the categories somewhat in your wheelhouse?  Along the lines of 'Judas Priest Discography', 'Superb Owl History', 'Baseball HOF', or more like 'Africa', 'South America Rivers', 'Greek Mythology', 'Countries that end with 'stan''?

Did 'never been in my kitchen?' ever enter your mind during the last month? :D

'Who Is Stadler?'  would have been a classic.  Then again, haven't many asked that for years here? ;)

Thanks!  Don't want to say much about the categories, but one of the ones you mentioned was up there (or something very similar).  I'll also say that, of all the categories I saw on Monday, I only remember about 3-4 of them.  As you might imagine, once it starts, it goes REALLY quickly.  I definitely had Stadler's offer in my head when we were preparing for Final J.  In real time, there's about 5 minutes between the category reveal and the clue reveal.  Plenty of time to think about lots of things.  I wrote some notes about the experience after my trip up as "local alternate," and I'll be adding to that regarding Monday.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #386 on: March 01, 2023, 09:19:48 AM »
Congratulations, Paul !!!!   :tup

Were the categories somewhat in your wheelhouse?  Along the lines of 'Judas Priest Discography', 'Superb Owl History', 'Baseball HOF', or more like 'Africa', 'South America Rivers', 'Greek Mythology', 'Countries that end with 'stan''?

Did 'never been in my kitchen?' ever enter your mind during the last month? :D

'Who Is Stadler?'  would have been a classic.  Then again, haven't many asked that for years here? ;)

Thanks!  Don't want to say much about the categories, but one of the ones you mentioned was up there (or something very similar).  I'll also say that, of all the categories I saw on Monday, I only remember about 3-4 of them.  As you might imagine, once it starts, it goes REALLY quickly.  I definitely had Stadler's offer in my head when we were preparing for Final J.  In real time, there's about 5 minutes between the category reveal and the clue reveal.  Plenty of time to think about lots of things.  I wrote some notes about the experience after my trip up as "local alternate," and I'll be adding to that regarding Monday.

I have a question and a comment:
1) Do the 2nd and 3rd place contestants get to keep their money?

Comment - I've never liked the wager concept in final Jeopardy where you get the subject, place wager AND THEN you get the actual question. I just think that the subject is too amigious to make a smart wager but that's just me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #387 on: March 01, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »

Nope.  Second place gets $2k.  Third place gets $1k.  You can see this at the end of the game.  They'll replace the second and third place contestants' scores with "$2,000" and "$1,000."

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2023, 10:28:53 AM »
Great news!  I got a call from the casting director today.  I'm slated to be a "local alternate" in early February.  I likely won't play, but I'll come back on their next taping day later in February!  The shows that are taped those days will air in late April/early May.  I'll post the specific date when it gets closer.

Gotta buckle down and get some facts hammered in.

Well...the deed is done.  I was "local alternate" for episodes that were shot on February 8 (and which will air the last week of April), and I actually played yesterday (tune in the first week of May).  All I can say for now is that it was a great experience, and Stadler does not owe me a steak dinner.  I met a lot of really cool people.  The contestant staff could not have been better, and the whole crew was like a machine.  I'll post some more at the appropriate time.
Wow!  Congratulations!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #389 on: March 03, 2023, 03:46:46 PM »
Yeah - PG, I also offer my congratulations and I look forward to seeing your episode(s).

Just curious if the show makes you sign something about not disclosing the specifics of the show(s) before air time?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #390 on: March 03, 2023, 03:58:29 PM »
Yeah - PG, I also offer my congratulations and I look forward to seeing your episode(s).

Just curious if the show makes you sign something about not disclosing the specifics of the show(s) before air time?

Thanks!  We signed a bunch of stuff via DocuSign, but I didn't read any of it (as a lawyer, I probably shouldn't admit that!).  We were told verbally that we could tell friends and family about the outcome but that we shouldn't post anything on social media until they send us our pictures with the host a week or so before the shows air.  As far as I know, there are no restrictions once the episodes have aired.  Of course, there are studio audiences who know what happened, and I don't know if they were made to sign releases, so....

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: March 14, 2023, 06:24:37 PM »

Nope.  Second place gets $2k.  Third place gets $1k.  You can see this at the end of the game.  They'll replace the second and third place contestants' scores with "$2,000" and "$1,000."

Interesting that you used that particular picture.....

Anyhoo.....  Mayim was better for the High School Reunion shows than the last time we saw her.  Much more restrained, with only a couple of "YES!" responses.  Sadly, I guess she'll be returning some time in April until this season's taping ends in June.

Stephen Webb:  obviously bright and gifted.  And a world traveler, as the point is made of a different country he's visited during his interviews.  But his stories sure are long and boring.  That's OK, but his 'Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm, I'll take <insert category> for $1600, then 'uhhhhhhhhhhhm, I'll take <insert a different category> for $1200, 'uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm I'll take <insert yet another category> for $2000 drove us both up a wall enough that we'll wait until he is gone.

It also seems like there's been a couple of edits to remove those uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhms from the last couple of shows.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #392 on: March 15, 2023, 07:01:44 AM »
Paul, do you watch The Chase?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #393 on: March 15, 2023, 11:47:50 AM »
Interesting that you used that particular picture.....

Anyhoo.....  Mayim was better for the High School Reunion shows than the last time we saw her.  Much more restrained, with only a couple of "YES!" responses.  Sadly, I guess she'll be returning some time in April until this season's taping ends in June.

It wasn't intentional that I used that pic.  I don't remember the Google search term I used, but I recall whatever I searched getting a bunch of hits that weren't what I was looking for, and I think this was the only one that came up that illustrated it.

Mayim Bialik was return starting with the episode that airs May 1.  I have no problem with her at all.

I do, and I think we've had more than few discussions about it.  My DVR hasn't recorded a new episode in quite a while, though.  Mark Labett appears no longer to be part of the chaser group, but he's been showing up on Master Minds.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: March 15, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »

I do, and I think we've had more than few discussions about it.  My DVR hasn't recorded a new episode in quite a while, though.  Mark Labett appears no longer to be part of the chaser group, but he's been showing up on Master Minds.

I recall that; it's a little different and I think, better.  Nothing massively different, but the current crop of Chasers is good - I'm a particular fan of Brad Rutter, James and Victoria Groce, though I don't mind Brandon and Buzzy - and Sara Haines has really blossomed as host.   My only beef with the show is the beef I have with most reality TV that pulls people from the population; too many of them are weirdo freaks.  You excluded, of course!  :) :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #395 on: March 15, 2023, 12:07:14 PM »
I recall that; it's a little different and I think, better.  Nothing massively different, but the current crop of Chasers is good - I'm a particular fan of Brad Rutter, James and Victoria Groce, though I don't mind Brandon and Buzzy - and Sara Haines has really blossomed as host.   My only beef with the show is the beef I have with most reality TV that pulls people from the population; too many of them are weirdo freaks.  You excluded, of course!  :) :) :) :)

Oh, if you only knew!

Sara Haines is ok, but I miss Brooke Burns in that role.  She doesn't seem to have as much personality on Master Minds.  I don't really like James, but I'm not sure why.  Victoria seems to have been on a disproportionate number of times.  She's ok.  Buzzy seems never to be on (except in the back room).  I like Buzzy and Brad.  Brandon seems to be looking for a discernable personality, so the jury is still out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: March 15, 2023, 12:36:17 PM »

Oh, if you only knew!

Sara Haines is ok, but I miss Brooke Burns in that role.  She doesn't seem to have as much personality on Master Minds.  I don't really like James, but I'm not sure why.  Victoria seems to have been on a disproportionate number of times.  She's ok.  Buzzy seems never to be on (except in the back room).  I like Buzzy and Brad.  Brandon seems to be looking for a discernable personality, so the jury is still out.

I LOVED Brooke Burns, so no argument there; I had to warm to Sara (and still not 100% of the way there).  James is polarizing; I HATED him as a contestant on The Chase as well as on Jeopardy.  But I warmed to him as well here; he's actually pretty funny. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #397 on: March 15, 2023, 03:15:00 PM »
James has a wry sense of humor, but it seems always to be cloaked in an air of douchiness.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2023, 09:41:07 AM »
Well, there have been two not so wise bids this week on the last 'Double Jeopardy' clues, both very late in the rounds.  Last night's has had a lot of 'Cliff Clavin' comments included on Fbook, because it had to be one of the worst twenty bids ever on the show.  Maybe even worst ten   :facepalm: 

Totally unnecessary, and quite costly.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #399 on: March 23, 2023, 10:13:50 AM »
Well, there have been two not so wise bids this week on the last 'Double Jeopardy' clues, both very late in the rounds.  Last night's has had a lot of 'Cliff Clavin' comments included on Fbook, because it had to be one of the worst twenty bids ever on the show.  Maybe even worst ten   :facepalm: 

Last Thursday was TERRIBLE.  Scores going into FJ:

Stephen:  $22,400
Sarah:  $17,600
Andrew:  DNP (negative score and a total non-factor throughout the game)

The category was 1980s Movies, and the clue was, "A writer & producer of this movie said he wanted it to be like a Western or James Bond film, 'only it takes place in the '30s.'"  My thought was Unforgiven (also thought about the untouchables), but I wasn't sure if that was '80s or '90s (it was the latter).  Neither Stephen nor Sarah got it correct (he guessed Top Secret, and she guessed the 1970s musical comedy featuring all child actors Bugsy Malone).

Stephen should have bet - and did bet - $12,801 so that he'd win if Sarah were correct and doubled her money.  Since he was wrong, he ended up with $9,599.

Sarah should have assumed Stephen would do exactly what he did.  In other words, if Stephen is right, she cannot win no matter what she bets.  Therefore, she should have wagered just enough to win if she gets it right and Stephen gets it wrong - i.e., $4,801.  If she's right and Stephen is wrong, she wins.  AND, wagering $4,801 means that, if both are wrong, she wins ($17,600 - $4,801 = $12,799.  But NO....  Sarah inexplicably bet $15,000 and ended up with $2,600.  There is absolutely no logical reason to wager that much in that situation!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #400 on: March 23, 2023, 11:58:51 AM »
It sounds like basically she didn't do the same pre-calculations that you did.  I've never broken it down that way, although obviously the algebra involved isn't that complex; the formula should've been easy enough for her to apply on the spot.  If she knew to do that.  Why wouldn't she?  I have no idea.  I mean, in hindsight it seems pretty simple.  If it comes down to two players and you're behind, your bet should be this (insert formula). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: March 23, 2023, 01:48:30 PM »
It sounds like basically she didn't do the same pre-calculations that you did.  I've never broken it down that way, although obviously the algebra involved isn't that complex; the formula should've been easy enough for her to apply on the spot.  If she knew to do that.  Why wouldn't she?  I have no idea.  I mean, in hindsight it seems pretty simple.  If it comes down to two players and you're behind, your bet should be this (insert formula).

I know I'd like to think I'm pretty bright, and good at math, and I often shake my head at what I would do in the same circumstances.  I know there must be a formula/approach that should be followed, but damned if I know what it is.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2023, 02:04:20 PM »

Pretty much.  And the contestants get plenty of time to do whatever calculations they think they need to do.  In a 2-person situation (or even a 3-person situation where the third place contestant is out of the picture, it's a pretty basic strategy for the second place person.  Of course, the category can figure into it, but that's more so for the first place contestant than the second place person.  I can't think of any category-based reason for Sarah's bet.

I know I'd like to think I'm pretty bright, and good at math, and I often shake my head at what I would do in the same circumstances.  I know there must be a formula/approach that should be followed, but damned if I know what it is.  :)

I know there's a bunch of wagering strategy on the internet, but I'll confess I've never read any of it.  That said, it all seems pretty simple:

If you're in first, the most basic strategy is to bet enough that, if you're right, you'll win even if the second place person doubles his/her money.  If it's a category where you're not comfortable, then it becomes more difficult.  You can bet nothing, but that will backfire if it's a relatively easy FJ and everyone gets it right.  Of course, if it's a runaway, it's a bit of a no-brainer unless it's your best category ever that the others aren't likely to know.

If you're in second and it's not a runaway, you kinda have to assume the first place person will bet enough to beat you if he/she is right and you double your money.  Therefore, the strategy I already outlined comes into play.  You can also try the strategy of betting nothing and hope that every gets it wrong.  That's about the only situation where the category really comes into play for the second place person.

There's not usually much strategy for the third place person unless the second and third place folks are close or the first and second place folks are way ahead of third place but the gap between them is less than the amount the third place person has.  In that case, the third place person should bet nothing and hope that the other two get it wrong.

I'll post some more thoughts on this when we get to the games I saw in person and played in.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2023, 11:58:46 AM »

Oh my god...I just watched Wednesday's episode.  Karen had a completely insurmountable lead - $21,800 to $7,100 to $6,400 - with only $3,200 worth of clues remaining.  She selected an $800 clue and gets the DD (leaving only $2,400 worth of clues).  And she wagers $10,000??!!!  And then stares blankly at what I thought was a relatively easy clue.

She still had the lead heading into FJ, but it was only $11,400 to $8,700 to $7,200, and botches a relatively easy FJ!  How you possibly wager anything more than the minimum $5 on that DD is utterly unfathomable.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »
^
That's the one I was talking about. 

A runaway win....... 'Clavined'!   :facepalm:

The night before:  defending champion A:  $21,400  Contestant B:  $12,400.  'A' gets the DJ as the very last clue. If 'A' bids $3401 or more, and is correct, she's the runaway winner.  Incorrect, and it comes down to FJ.  Well.....she only bid $3000.   Oops. 

She did get it correct, but still had to get the FJ clue correct to win.  Ken did mention that at the beginning of the next show.

The best bidder, and often the luckiest, was Ryan Long, who won fourteen times last year (the then Uber driver from Philly).  I think he won four or five without getting the FJ clue correct, because the second place person was incorrect (that always helps), but he didn't bid an amount that would have been greater than the 'second place amount x2 plus $1' .  He wasn't comfortable with the categories, took his chances, and they worked.  Had he wagered larger amounts and been wrong, the 3rd place person would have won a couple of those.

One of the best 'feel good' stories of big winners in our book.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2023, 04:17:29 PM »
Current champ Brian getting a lot of hate mail.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2023, 09:00:26 AM »

Yeah, the comparison to Hitler is uncalled for but WTF is up with his suit jacket?  Does Jeopardy not have a team of people helping with hair and make up who could've let him know that he needed a tailor stat?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »

Yeah, the comparison to Hitler is uncalled for but WTF is up with his suit jacket?  Does Jeopardy not have a team of people helping with hair and make up who could've let him know that he needed a tailor stat?

I didn't pay a ton of attention to what he wore on Thursday's episode (the last one I watched over the weekend), but I did notice that his suit kinda looked like something he's owned for a while and he may have lost some weight.  That said, the resemblance to Hitler is pretty uncanny.

As far as wardrobe, there's a couple of people/a staff that will tell you if something won't work on camera.  They spent a while on me removing cat fur.  But they're constrained by what the contestants bring with them.  Not sure exactly what the hair people could have done with him.  I don't have enough hair for them to have done anything with me, but I doubt they'd do a complete re-style.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2023, 05:43:40 PM »
OMG removing cat fur would be me too!   :lol

Yeah, maybe he lost some weight but it looked pretty strange on camera.  I would think a few garment clips and a fabric steamer would've helped him immensely. 

He looked a little shocked when he lost too.  :P

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2023, 10:49:23 AM »
On the 'Jeopardy Complainers Are The Worst' FBook page, there was a thread about that guy's looks. 

Me:
I’m not posting to be mean spirited, but I instantly hit ‘pause’, turned to my wife, and asked ‘omg, who does he look like?’

John Doe:
There are some thoughts that are better left private and not made public. It’s exactly this piling on that’s the problem. people think it’s ok to say something, just because someone else said it first. You seriously don’t see how this is bullying?

Me:
There's no bullying or piling on here. I posted what I asked my wife, and did so without mentioning anyone's name. He actually looked more like Larry Hovis.

John Doe:
Right, and how could publicly comparing him to a monster possibly be offensive : /

Me:
Larry Hovis?

Moving on......

Lots of 3rd place players going into FJ over the past three weeks that could have won had they just bid zero in FJ, or kept themselves in the running if the other two contestants had both been wrong.

Always takes me back to this match:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV5nNqQKyc  What was the 3rd place person thinking?

Just saw this one for the first time  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7M3K8aYqo  Now THIS was a Cliff Clavin bid by the champ in the first clip :facepalm:

The show seems to have added a few quite juvenile categories lately.

One gripe:  "Beatle 'S'ongs" last night:  How is 'Something in the way she moves' considered a correct response? :huh:  And they only got one other 'correct'.  Shame!  Shame! ;)

'Jeopardy' is always taped in this household.  Paul.....we're looking forward to next Tuesday's show :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2023, 12:47:19 PM »
Lots of 3rd place players going into FJ over the past three weeks that could have won had they just bid zero in FJ, or kept themselves in the running if the other two contestants had both been wrong.

Always takes me back to this match:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV5nNqQKyc  What was the 3rd place person thinking?

Yeah...there's ZERO reason to wager anything there.  Two players tied with more than 2x what the 3rd place person has.  The top two players are either going to wager everything (or everything except $1) or wager nothing.  Under no scenario will the 3rd place player win by doubling her money.

The show seems to have added a few quite juvenile categories lately.

??

One thing I've noticed is that there are a LOT of categories where the category name doesn't clearly indicate the subject matter or which is susceptible for questions in any number of subjects.  From last night's episode:  "synonyms/antonyms," "Y is the only vowel," "wherefore art thou," "local boy," and "made good."

One gripe:  "Beatle 'S'ongs" last night:  How is 'Something in the way she moves' considered a correct response? :huh:  And they only got one other 'correct'.  Shame!  Shame! ;)

It's because "Something" was the first thing he said after "what is...."  This sort of thing was part of the rules explanation they gave us ahead of time.  "What is...Something in the way she moves?" is correct because they basically disregard everything after the actual title.  On the other hand, if someone had said, "What is...after the Savoy Truffle?" it would've been wrong.

A similar rule relates to the omission of articles in the name of an artistic work.  "What is...Long and Winding Road?" is acceptable even though the correct name of the song is "THE Long and Winding Road."  However, "What is...I am Walrus?" would be wrong.

I have to say that it was VERY interesting watching last night's episode, which I got to see as it was played.  I didn't really talk with any of the three contestants from yesterday's episode since they went first.  The rest of this week's contestants I actually got to talk with a bit, so that'll be even more fun!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2023, 03:29:09 PM »
Thank you for all of that. :tup

Looking forward to the future stories

Offline pg1067

« Reply #412 on: April 27, 2023, 01:56:07 PM »
I'm curious what y'all thought about the Final Jeopardy clues so far this week:

- MONDAY:  U.S. Geography - Interstate 25 connects these 2 state capitals, 1st & 2nd in elevation, & in between runs through No. 3, Denver.

- TUESDAY:  TV History - The 1980s “Magnum, P.I.” used a soundstage of this long-running drama that had just ended, & even referred to its lead character.

- WEDNESDAY:  Hollywood History - Last name of 3 men who missed the 1927 premiere of “The Jazz Singer” because a 4th of that name had died hours before.

Monday is probably pretty easy if you understand the Interstate Highway numbering system.  I've also driven the route.  Annee is taking some heat on social media for her answer of Albany and Boston.  She didn't stick around after her game was done, so I didn't get a chance to talk to her, but I'm guessing she misread or misunderstood the clue.  Probably not surprising that the Canadian was thwarted by this one.

I thought Tuesday was super easy and was surprised no one got it.  I think pretty much all of us watching from the staging area had this.

I also thought Wednesday was pretty easy although, when they revealed Jesse's answer of Marx, I had a brief moment of, "oh...that could be right."  Johanna's answer of Jolsen didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

I also have to give props to Johanna.  She was super nervous before her game.  However, her description of her novel (which I believe was heavily edited for broadcast) sounded bat shit crazy to me.  I looked it up on Amazon afterwards ( https://www.amazon.com/Pigs-Johanna-Stoberock/dp/1597090441/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2UNHG7H5YC418&keywords=pigs+johanna+stoberock&qid=1682625225&sprefix=stoberock%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1 ) and it made more sense.  Still kinda crazy though, but she was a super nice lady.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #413 on: April 27, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »

- MONDAY:  U.S. Geography - Interstate 25 connects these 2 state capitals, 1st & 2nd in elevation, & in between runs through No. 3, Denver.

- TUESDAY:  TV History - The 1980s “Magnum, P.I.” used a soundstage of this long-running drama that had just ended, & even referred to its lead character.

- WEDNESDAY:  Hollywood History - Last name of 3 men who missed the 1927 premiere of “The Jazz Singer” because a 4th of that name had died hours before.
Honestly, I thought all three of them were easy as hell.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: April 28, 2023, 05:49:47 AM »
^
MONDAY:  I've been to Santa Fe, know about the interstate numbering, and the high elevations, am good but not great when I can't see a map, so my other city was Salt Lake City. Oh well....

TUESDAY:  Piece of pie for me, but my wife didn't watch much TV back then other than PBS.

WEDNESDAY:  All I could think of was 'Marx', which I knew was incorrect.  I thought of 'Warner' AFTER the buzzer....

btw....a 3rd place contestant won a FJ by not wagering too much for a change  :tup

THURSDAY FJ:  the wife got it because she had watched a Muslim art seminar three weeks ago.  I had absolutely no idea.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 06:50:19 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: April 28, 2023, 06:17:40 AM »

Monday is probably pretty easy if you understand the Interstate Highway numbering system.  I've also driven the route.  Annee is taking some heat on social media for her answer of Albany and Boston.  She didn't stick around after her game was done, so I didn't get a chance to talk to her, but I'm guessing she misread or misunderstood the clue.  Probably not surprising that the Canadian was thwarted by this one.

I thought Tuesday was super easy and was surprised no one got it.  I think pretty much all of us watching from the staging area had this.

I also thought Wednesday was pretty easy although, when they revealed Jesse's answer of Marx, I had a brief moment of, "oh...that could be right."  Johanna's answer of Jolsen didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

I also have to give props to Johanna.  She was super nervous before her game.  However, her description of her novel (which I believe was heavily edited for broadcast) sounded bat shit crazy to me.  I looked it up on Amazon afterwards ( https://www.amazon.com/Pigs-Johanna-Stoberock/dp/1597090441/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2UNHG7H5YC418&keywords=pigs+johanna+stoberock&qid=1682625225&sprefix=stoberock%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1 ) and it made more sense.  Still kinda crazy though, but she was a super nice lady.

Monday:  Odd numbers run north and south, but I'm blanking as to where to go with that.  Helena, maybe?  I would never guess Santa Fe because of the elevation clue and "in between".

Tuesday: Pretty sure I know that one. Jack Lord?

Wednesday:  I would have said "Wilson".  I think that's wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #416 on: April 28, 2023, 09:43:34 AM »
Of the three, I thought Monday was the most difficult.

MONDAY:  More my neck of the woods than Stadler's for sure, but Colorado and New Mexico are the two eastern of the "Four Corners" states.  If you know odd numbered interstates go north/south, the "in between" part of the clue tells you that one part of the answer has to be Santa Fe because its the only state capital that is more or less south of Denver before you get to the Mexican border.  If you're not familiar with the geography, it's a bit of a toss-up between Cheyenne and Helena.  However, Helena is in the western part of Montana on I-15.  Cheyenne, on the other hand, is about 100 miles due north of Denver.  SLC is over 400 miles to the west of Cheyenne on I-80.

TUESDAY:  Stadler didn't read the clue carefully (but you are on the right track):  "this long-running drama."

WEDNESDAY:  If you think of brothers in the context of first half of the 20th century (and beyond) Hollywood, the two names that should spring almost immediately to mind are Marx and Warner (esp. for those of us who grew up on WB cartoons).

THURSDAY:  I thought this was the toughest one so far.  "Kurdish" led me immediately to Attila the Hun.  I briefly thought about "Bob" Genghis Khan but quickly dismissed that since he was presumably born in the area now occupied by Mongolia, and he wasn't Kurdish.  I didn't even think of Saladin.

The wagering last night was quite interesting.  Rebecca wagered correctly:  had she been correct, she'd have had $1 more than 2x Eric's score.  If Eric had been wrong and Jesse correct, they'd have been tied.  If, in that situation, Rebecca had also been wrong, then there would have been a 2-way tie for first (between Jesse and Eric), with Rebecca being $1 short.  It almost might have been better for her to wager $3,800, but it ended up not mattering.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: April 28, 2023, 10:13:22 AM »
TUESDAY: Be blunt, because I'm missing it; what did I read incorrectly?   Magnum is a show set in Hawaii, and I assumed  "long-running" referred to Hawaii Five-O, also set in Hawaii (and in the same fictional universe) which at the time was the longest running police drama. 

WEDNESDAY:  Where did it say "brothers", or was that an implication from "Hollywood"?  I never even went to Marx or Warner.  I was thinking something referring to a common name (thus, Wilson, though I looked it up and he died three years before). 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2023, 10:56:29 AM »
Still playing along here:

MONDAY:  SLC is northwest of Denver, and on I-15.  Again, I'm not the best with those square states.  Plus, if you had told me to name the state capitol of Wyoming in two seconds, I would have probably said Laramie.  :facepalm:

(remember Sgt. Zale on M*A*S*H with the 'officer of the month' questions?  'When are we going to get to state capitols?  C'mon, 'ask me what's the state capitol of Cleveland? :lol)

TUESDAY:  the correct response was the TV show

WEDNESDAY:  It asked for the last name.

THURSDAY:  Yup, I said Genghis Khan as well, hoping it would stick. ;)  And last night's bidding was well done all around. It's such a crap shoot when that time comes around.  I never fault someone who doesn't win who at least bid smartly.

We do bar trivia a couple of times a month.  Scores generally range from 50-70 going into the final round, with a limit of 15 for that question.  But.....   we get to hear the question, and make our wager with the response.  We've won a couple of times, been in the money on others, missed out because of a couple of too large or small wagers, and.....  well, we've crapped out more than a few other times. :D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: April 28, 2023, 10:58:53 AM »
By the way, I said "Jack Lord" as a hint, not as my answer; I know they were asking for the show, I was trying to not give too many spoilers.