A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29702 times)

Offline crazy climber dude

Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2022, 01:31:23 PM »
Right! Completely mystified by the poor wagering as of late.

I guess it shows....an exceptional data compiler does not (always) an efficient assessment/judgment applier make.  :facepalm:

« Reply #316 on: September 16, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
Was such a long break, I forgot they are back on.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2022, 12:22:09 PM »
Jeopardy's break is shorter than most shows.  I'm actually looking forward to the Celebrity Jeopardy episodes with a few odd twists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2022, 06:57:01 AM »
Started watching again Friday night thanks to this thread  :tup

Noticed a BIG change during the introductions:  instead of 'now hosting 'Jeopardy', Ken Jennings'  it is 'and now, THE host of 'Jeopardy', Ken Jennings'. I did read he'll be the host of the regular shows through December, while Mayim gets the Celebrity and College Championship. 

And now a comment as to yet another stupid wager last night.  'A' has $10,000, 'B' has $8600, and 'C' has $8000.  'A' calls out the last clue, and it's a 'Daily Double'.   You either bid $7201 to make it a runaway if correct, or bid under $1400 to keep the lead going into 'Final Jeopardy' if wrong.  Instead, as he had done on the prior two 'Daily Doubles', he bids $2000 !    :facepalm:  And, gets it wrong to fall into 3rd . Fitting.

He can count his lucky stars he was the only one to get the 'Final Jeopardy' response correct.

(but, bully for him being yet another metro DC/Baltimore contestant that's been successful over the past 3-6 months of 'new' shows)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2022, 10:09:02 AM »
Ken and Mayim have been announced as official co-hosts, so they'll be switching off.  I also believe Buzzy Cohen will have some involvement (he might be hosting the Tournament of Champions).  They've also disbanded the Clue Crew, with Sarah taking a production role and Jimmy assuming the stage manager duties full time.

Last Tuesday's show had a REALLY stupid wager.  The woman in the middle answered a Daily Double clue correctly and stormed back to take the lead going into Final Jeopardy (she had $16,600, while the champ had $15,700 and the other challenger had $11,000).  Quite coincidentally, the category was British Royal Family, and the clue was:  "Prince Philip’s titles included Baron Greenwich & Duke of Edinburgh, but not Prince Consort, last used by this royal."  Correct response:  Prince Albert.

The other challenger got FJ wrong.  Then the champion got it right and bet everything but a dollar.  When they went to reveal the woman in the middle's response, you could see in her face that she had screwed up.  Her response was correct, so you knew she had botched her wager.  Instead of betting enough to cover the champ doubling his money, she bet $1,801, so she fell far short of winning.

It took a while, but here's the convoluted reasoning for her wager:  She was apparently counting on the champ wagering $901, which would have won the game for him IF he got the response correct and she did not and bet $0.  Her $1,801 wager would cover her in the event the champ wagered $901 and got it wrong AND she also got it wrong (in that case, they'd both have finished with $14,799 and gone to a tiebreaker).  This is beyond baffling because of the number of "ifs" that would have had to happen.  How you don't assume that your competitor, who is less than $1k behind you, won't double his money and wager to protect against that is beyond my comprehension.  I guess she wasn't totally comfortable with the category, but she obviously knew enough about it to get the correct response, so maybe it was an unwarranted lack of confidence, but you gotta bet on yourself.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #320 on: September 25, 2022, 02:37:20 PM »
Another dumbass wager on 9/16, and it cost a 5-day champ his title.

Champ has $18,000
C2 has $2,800
C3 has $15,800

Category is Disney Songs.

As the champ, you have to assume that C2 will get it right and double his money, which would take him to $31,600, so you have to wager $13,601.  Right?

The clue is, "'We Don't Talk About Bruno,' from Encanto, is the first song from an animated Disney film to hit No. 1 since this duet in 1993."  Correct response:  "A Whole New World from Alladin.

C2 gets it wrong, and C3 gets it right but only wagered $10,000, a number that made no sense at all, but now he's at $25,800.  Champ also gets it correct, but he only wagered $1,551.  WTF?!  If you're not confident in the category, then wager $0 and at least give off the impression that you're not a complete noob.

Ugh....
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 09:44:33 AM by pg1067 »

« Reply #321 on: September 27, 2022, 05:22:13 AM »
Another dumbass wager on 9/16, and it cost a 5-day champ his title.

Champ has $18,000
C2 has $2,800
C3 has $15,800

Category is Disney Songs.

As the champ, you have to assume that C2 will get it right and double his money, which would take him to $31,600, so you have to wager $13,601.  Right?

The clue is, "'We Don't Talk About Bruno,' from Encanto, is the first song from an animated Disney film to hit No. 1 since this duet in 1993."  Correct response:  "A Whole New World from Alladin.

C3 gets it wrong, and C2 gets it right but only wagered $10,000, a number that made no sense at all, but now he's at $25,800.  Champ also gets it correct, but he only wagered $1,551.  WTF?!  If you're not confident in the category, then wager $0 and at least give off the impression that you're not a complete noob.

Ugh....
Don't you mean C3 got it right and bet 10,000? At least, based on your numbers for Final Jeopardy going in, right? I remember the question....don't remember the particulars.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #322 on: September 27, 2022, 09:44:06 AM »
Gaaa...I ignored my own nomenclature.

I've edited my prior post so it now makes sense.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #323 on: October 09, 2022, 01:01:22 PM »
I've watched the first couple episodes of Celebrity Jeopardy!  It's always fun to see whose smarter than he/she looks.

Also, I'm now low-key in love with Iliza Schlesinger.  She's just damn adorable!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: October 29, 2022, 06:19:17 AM »
Bear with me on this…..

Last week ended with one of the two day challenges to see who gets a spot in the Tournament of Champions.  After Day One
James  $30, 929
Jessica  $28,600
Molly  $15,600

Going into ‘Final Jeopardy’ of Day 2:
James $2000
Jessica  $15,300
Molly  $10,600

As those who follow the show know, the winner is determined from the highest total of both shows.  On Day Two, one can only wager using their totals for Day Two.

So, on October 21st, the totals right at that moment are:
James  $32,929
Jessica  $43,900
Molly  $26,200

James can only wager $2000.  If correct, he'll have $34,929.  Molly can only wager $10,600.  If correct, she’ll have $36,800. 

Congratulations, Jessica!  You are the winner!  You advance, even with an incorrect response, if you bid anything less than $7100.

I make a comment to the wife, that in a year of often plain stupid wagering, who knows?  Sure enough, Jessica pulls a Cliff Clavin!

She bid $10,000  :facepalm: and was incorrect.  But, fortunately for her, the others were also incorrect, otherwise one of them would have won.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2022/10/final-jeopardy-10-21-2022.html

« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 10:24:01 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
You almost wish the producers could step in and say, "yeah...you won, but that wager was just so phenomenally stupid that we just can't, in good conscience, put you through."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2022, 11:23:19 AM »
Bear with me on this…..

Last week ended with one of the two day challenges to see who gets a spot in the Tournament of Champions.  After Day One
James  $30, 929
Jessica  $28,600
Molly  $15,600

Going into ‘Final Jeopardy’ of Day 2:
James $2000
Jessica  $15,300
Molly  $10,600

As those who follow the show know, the winner is determined from the highest total of both shows.  On Day Two, one can only wager using their totals for Day Two.

So, on October 21st, the totals right at that moment are:
James  $32,929
Jessica  $43,900
Molly  $26,200

James can only wager $2000.  If correct, he'll have $34,929.  Molly can only wager $10,600.  If correct, she’ll have $36,800. 

Congratulations, Jessica!  You are the winner!  You advance, even with an incorrect response, if you bid anything less than $7100.

I make a comment to the wife, that in a year of often plain stupid wagering, who knows?  Sure enough, Jessica pulls a Cliff Clavin!

She bid $10,000  :facepalm: and was incorrect.  But, fortunately for her, the others were also incorrect, otherwise one of them would have won.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2022/10/final-jeopardy-10-21-2022.html
I made a similar comment to my wife when we were watching.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #327 on: November 02, 2022, 12:45:55 PM »
What is going on in the TOC? The Monday lineup esp....no one got over $10,000 by Final Jeopardy? Wow! Even my wife, who is the ultimate rose colored glasses person, was mystified. So if she couldn't even put a spin on things, you know it was bad. I thought Ken was going to lose his mind. :omg:

I think Rowan Ward from the Second Chance tournament would have dusted any of those champions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #328 on: November 03, 2022, 08:12:43 AM »
What is going on in the TOC? The Monday lineup esp....no one got over $10,000 by Final Jeopardy? Wow! Even my wife, who is the ultimate rose colored glasses person, was mystified. So if she couldn't even put a spin on things, you know it was bad. I thought Ken was going to lose his mind. :omg:

I think Rowan Ward from the Second Chance tournament would have dusted any of those champions.
I thought it was weird too.  Could it be that it's been so long since they've played that the "out of practice" combined with nerves led to lower than expected scores?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #329 on: November 03, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
Bear with me on this…..

I just watched this episode last night (obviously, I'm behind).  Hilarious seeing it develop and knowing what was coming.  It was also a rare occasion where I knew the correct response but none of the contestants did (even more rare since it was a literature clue)!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: November 03, 2022, 05:38:57 PM »
Bear with me on this…..

I just watched this episode last night (obviously, I'm behind).  Hilarious seeing it develop and knowing what was coming.  It was also a rare occasion where I knew the correct response but none of the contestants did (even more rare since it was a literature clue)!

I've realized this year from your posts, that you tend to fall behind, thus I'll wait 3-5 days to post  (but not this far ;) :biggrin:)

Monday's results were not 'that bad'. The one category with the double vowel governments was confusing as heck (we only got 'Knesset', but the double vowel isn't back to back...that's what was rather confusing...  my wife and I got it, but only after a pause).  I don't believe there were any correct responses in that category.

I know I have the guy's name wrong....but 'Big Phil' from Philly didn't look right with the shaved head.  He won many a Final Jeopardy from semi 'stupid' bids because others had the wrong response.  That night....  they all looked out of Jeopardy 'shape', if that makes sense.  Just your regular Joe's happy to have the paid flight back, semi basking in their well deserved glory.

As to watching.....we have to wait until the next night and check it out on youtube, as our local affiliate has the World Series, and their timing of the show is always incorrect.  I'm sorry, but MLB games have lasted longer than 2 1/2 hours since the last century ('Seinfeld' showed up for the recording from Monday's rainout), but what does one expect from a FOX station?

And.....  Rowan Ward has to be one of the top ten most annoying contestants this year.  Kudos to him/her, but.........

Offline pg1067

« Reply #331 on: November 04, 2022, 09:24:18 AM »
I've realized this year from your posts, that you tend to fall behind, thus I'll wait 3-5 days to post  (but not this far ;) :biggrin:)

Appreciate the courtesy, but don't worry about it at all.  Spoilers aren't a big deal for me when it comes to Jeopardy, and I know the risks.  If I didn't want spoilers, I'd stay away from the thread.

P.S.  I was very productive this weekend and got all caught up!   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 08:54:55 PM by pg1067 »

« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2022, 09:35:13 AM »
Anyone surprised by the results of the "exhibition" yesterday? I know it was a very casual environment, but I still found it quite interesting how easily Mattea just waxed Matt and Amy. Playing for keeps now....let's see if anything changes moving forward.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2022, 09:44:38 AM »
Anyone surprised by the results of the "exhibition" yesterday? I know it was a very casual environment, but I still found it quite interesting how easily Mattea just waxed Matt and Amy. Playing for keeps now....let's see if anything changes moving forward.

I think it got preempted for election coverage where I live.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #334 on: November 09, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »
It was fun, in the sense that they were clearly having fun with no pressure.

If it was for real, it wouldn't have been like that, methinks.

Best part was Ken Jennings screwing up and getting bleeped saying "Shit".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #335 on: November 09, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »

I think it got preempted for election coverage where I live.

Just watched on YouTube.  They all had differing levels of apathy.  Amy didn't even seem to care and rarely buzzed in.  Matt seemed just to be screwing around.  Mattea seemed to take it most seriously, but even she was very casual.  It'll be awfully different when there's actual money on the line.

« Reply #336 on: November 14, 2022, 04:25:56 AM »
I disagree they weren't trying. Just because it's less serious doesn't mean you still don't want to win....esp. knowing you were among the 3 best.

Though, yes....the results "for real" proved to be a mixed bag. Amy certainly showed dominance again. But Matt and Mattea were tepid at best. Sam had an amazing round, and he is quite the character. But the biggest splash was from Andrew! Going all in on the Daily Double TWICE. WOW!

This week should be fun!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: November 14, 2022, 07:11:09 AM »
The Ken Jennings blooper.  And I applaud the producers of 'Jeopardy', including Ken, for allowing this to air on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJ-9uWXm8Q

As to Sam Baltry....I can't find his interview from last week, the Steve Martin lookalike reference, and his staring at the camera in regards to Steve being 'one of the world's most handsome men'  :lol :lol   but I did find the aftershow interviews of him doing 'the floss'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ydc64cdaQ 

There is an air about him that reminds me of my dear departed father-in-law (who was just as bright and deadpan funny).

I disagree they weren't trying. Just because it's less serious doesn't mean you still don't want to win....esp. knowing you were among the 3 best.

Though, yes....the results "for real" proved to be a mixed bag. Amy certainly showed dominance again. But Matt and Mattea were tepid at best. Sam had an amazing round, and he is quite the character. But the biggest splash was from Andrew! Going all in on the Daily Double TWICE. WOW!

This week should be fun!

A shame the Big Three weren't playing for a charity that night, rather than magic beans :D

Andrew.....yeah.....that was bravery/foolhardiness.  The first one...'yeah, OK, that's daring'.  The second time was definitely crazy/insane/unwise, but it worked.

btw....we had to watch all of these over the weekend to catch up. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 11:15:56 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #338 on: November 14, 2022, 09:25:21 AM »
I got caught up over the weekend too.  I recall being frustrated about the first semi-final, but I can't now remember why.  The tournament felt a bit disjointed, and the "first to three" format is, I think, going to feel weird.

Go Sam!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2022, 09:47:31 AM »
Watched the most recent episode of Celebrity Jeopardy last night.  Wil Wheaton destroyed the other two.  His excitement about his performance was palpable.  I like the way they're doing celebrity jeopardy with this tournament and longer episodes that give us time to get to know a bit about these folks.

« Reply #340 on: November 17, 2022, 06:03:39 AM »
I was having a tough time with the Celebrity tournaments.....just based on the clues difficulty overall. I feel embarrassed saying the answers (questions) out loud in front of my wife. Granted, yes....I probably only even know less than 20% of the regular Jeopardy clues from show to show...but that's what makes it satisfying when you do get it right. Particularly if the contestants themselves didn't know.

And yes....you do get to know the celebrities (I knew Wil Wheaton, but had never heard of or seen many others....including Troian Bellisario...what an extremely nice looking human being she is), but an hour is still too long. Between the easy clues and the length....I am ready to check out early.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »
Well....HOLY CRAP!  as to last night's 'Final Jeopardy'

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/6695212/jeopardy-ken-jennings-bible-paul-new-testament/

which reminds me of my one time knowing that they 'screwed the pooch'

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2015/12/quick-recap-final-jeopardy-december-29-2015.html

The stakes weren't quite as high back then.....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #342 on: November 17, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Well....HOLY CRAP!  as to last night's 'Final Jeopardy'

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/6695212/jeopardy-ken-jennings-bible-paul-new-testament/

which reminds me of my one time knowing that they 'screwed the pooch'

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2015/12/quick-recap-final-jeopardy-december-29-2015.html

The stakes weren't quite as high back then.....
Yeah, I almost jumped out of my seat when he said the answer was Hebrews.  While the King James Bible usually titles it something like "Paul's Epistle to the Hebrews", there is nothing in the text itself to indicate that it was written by Paul (unlike all of the other Pauline literature), and the writing style and content is distinctly different.  Most modern Bibles simply title it "The Epistle to the Hebrews" due to the pretty clear misattribution to Paul.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2022, 10:09:09 AM »
Love the Mob calling for the complete turnover of the writing team.   

But here's the question:  "Paul’s letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations."  The right answer ISN'T "Romans" (which is written by Paul, to my knowledge, and which has the SECOND most Old Testament quotations).  Neither fits the question perfectly as written, but grammatically, the question is more correctly "the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations".   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
I haven't watched the episode yet, but this tells me I have officially forgotten most of what I learned in 12 years of Roman Catholic education.

Sigh....   :facepalm:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2022, 09:10:58 AM »

But here's the question:  "Paul’s letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations."  The right answer ISN'T "Romans" (which is written by Paul, to my knowledge, and which has the SECOND most Old Testament quotations).  Neither fits the question perfectly as written, but grammatically, the question is more correctly "the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations".
Yeah, but that wasn't the question.  The misattribution to Paul is an egregious error.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #346 on: December 01, 2022, 06:14:48 AM »

Yeah, but that wasn't the question.  The misattribution to Paul is an egregious error.

Is it though? Seriously. It's a relatively new development that misattributes this to Paul, and as I noted, the grammatical question (or, since it's Jeopardy, the answer) is "the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations".  Presumably anyone who answers "Romans" knows of the "Paul" controversy and so the logic is that that IS a mistake (or the more likely place for a mistake, given that the question is fatally flawed). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #347 on: December 01, 2022, 07:04:59 AM »

Is it though? Seriously. It's a relatively new development that misattributes this to Paul, and as I noted, the grammatical question (or, since it's Jeopardy, the answer) is "the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations".  Presumably anyone who answers "Romans" knows of the "Paul" controversy and so the logic is that that IS a mistake (or the more likely place for a mistake, given that the question is fatally flawed).
I actually heard them address this on the Jeopardy podcast.

For Bible-related questions, they just use the King James Version, and that's it.  They don't bother keeping up with modern scholarship or referencing more modern translations or anything else about the Bible, they just look at the KJV, which attributes the letter to Paul.  They simply don't use any scrutiny whatsoever, like they may do with other topics.

« Reply #348 on: December 01, 2022, 12:29:54 PM »
Man....Cris is now in some very rarified air! He had a scare on Tuesday (I think it was)....came up with that BIG Daily Double. But he is now #5 in winnings. I've noticed that he is incorrect more than usual lately. And doing more guessing....even with bigger dollar amount clues. Though back into runaway form yesterday.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #349 on: December 01, 2022, 01:24:49 PM »
Man....Cris is now in some very rarified air! He had a scare on Tuesday (I think it was)....came up with that BIG Daily Double. But he is now #5 in winnings. I've noticed that he is incorrect more than usual lately. And doing more guessing....even with bigger dollar amount clues. Though back into runaway form yesterday.
Yeah, he's VERY impressive.