A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29146 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #280 on: February 04, 2022, 10:16:39 AM »
^
Probably a carry over from all her time with Matt Amodio :D  and I'm OK with hearing the complete name most of the time. 

A headscratcher where the clue related to an SEC school in Alabama, and the contestant responded, 'What is Auburn?'  Silence, he looks blank and confused, and then quickly adds  'What is Auburn University?'  'That is correct'.    Uhm,  :huh:

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #281 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:58 AM »
The shorthand on this show always bothered me.  Not so much just using last names, but (and Holzauer was bad for this), if the category was "Major Dream Theater Forums", he would be "Forums, $200". I get it, but it bothers me nonetheless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #282 on: February 04, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
The shorthand on this show always bothered me.  Not so much just using last names, but (and Holzauer was bad for this), if the category was "Major Dream Theater Forums", he would be "Forums, $200". I get it, but it bothers me nonetheless.
Why?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #283 on: February 04, 2022, 12:23:25 PM »

In the multiple auditions I've had for Jeopardy, we were told that, when they record the shows, contestants are expressly encouraged to use shorthand for the category names in order to save time and increase the likelihood of getting through all of the clues before time runs out.

The only time this causes issues for me (as a viewer) is if I'm not paying close attention and knowing the category is important to getting the response correct.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: February 04, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
Why?

I don't know.  I've heard pg say that before, that it's encouraged, but for some reason, it still irks.  I don't know.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2022, 10:03:09 PM »
It doesn't seem quite right.  Jeopardy! is a game with some very specific rules regarding what you say and how you say it, so it feels somehow inconsistent that a player can get "lazy" and just say one word in the category title.  Yes, we all know what it means, but for God's sake, man, have some respect if not for yourself but for the countless who have come before you and said the full fucking name of the category every time.  Every fucking time.  You're not cool for using shorthand.  Respect the game.  If not, get the fuck out.

I don't know, does that explain it?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2022, 04:39:49 AM »
It doesn't seem quite right.  Jeopardy! is a game with some very specific rules regarding what you say and how you say it, so it feels somehow inconsistent that a player can get "lazy" and just say one word in the category title.  Yes, we all know what it means, but for God's sake, man, have some respect if not for yourself but for the countless who have come before you and said the full fucking name of the category every time.  Every fucking time.  You're not cool for using shorthand.  Respect the game.  If not, get the fuck out.

Nor really, because most of the champions used shorthand category titles.  So people who don't like it are literally mad about nothing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #287 on: February 06, 2022, 06:54:21 AM »
Not mad, just slightly annoyed.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: February 06, 2022, 02:16:37 PM »
I mentioned this a long time ago.  Say the category is ‘Dream Theater Albums With Mike Mangini’.  I don’t mind hearing the whole thing said the first time, but after that, ‘Dream Theater Albums’, ‘Dream Theater’, ‘Mike Mangini’, or simply ‘Albums’ is sufficient for us.  It speeds things up, especially with some of the slower speaking and more nervous contestants.  And….it seems as if they love creating more long winded or tongue twisting titles these days. 

Mayim totally lost us Friday.  For the category 'ANIMALS':  (Pictured)  Unlike seals, these beach lovers have external ears and can walk on their hind flippers?
Two got it wrong, one did not answer. 

She actually barked twice while clapping her hands twice before saying ‘what are sea lions?’

My wife and I paused the show and shook our heads while going WTF?  If one of the contestants was correct, had she planned to bark and clap?

An earlier show, she laughed, and was all giggly as she admonished the players:  "C'mon guys, none of you know the movie 'Meatballs!'"
(sorry, but neither of us had heard of it).  Embarrassing.

Oh, and 'Jeopardy round' is now the 'Single Jeopardy' round.   :huh:

I've read on their Fbook page where some people switch to Closed Caption when she hosts.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:46:33 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: February 06, 2022, 08:23:32 PM »
I loved Meatballs as a kid, watched it several times.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2022, 10:31:07 AM »

Nor really, because most of the champions used shorthand category titles.  So people who don't like it are literally mad about nothing.

Yeah...

It wasn't all that long ago when there was a buzzer that would sound with a minute left in each round, and it wasn't at all uncommon that you'd have 3-5 uncovered clues at the end of the round.  That hardly ever happens anymore.  The whole point of shorthand is to save time so that they can get through all 30 clues per round.  As I mentioned, the contestants are expressly told to abbreviate, and I can't even conceive how it has anything to do with respect for the game or any person.

I mentioned this a long time ago.  Say the category is ‘Dream Theater Albums With Mike Mangini’.  I don’t mind hearing the whole thing said the first time, but after that, ‘Dream Theater Albums’, ‘Dream Theater’, ‘Mike Mangini’, or simply ‘Albums’ is sufficient for us.  It speeds things up, especially with some of the slower speaking and more nervous contestants.  And….it seems as if they love creating more long winded or tongue twisting titles these days.

Exactly.  And, in addition to the long category names, you get folks who add "I'll take" or "Let me get" at the beginning.  When I played a practice round at an audition, the first time I called a category, I did that and also added "please" at the end.  As soon as I did it, I had a little internal alarm go off and thought, "that's exactly what they told us NOT to do."

I loved Meatballs as a kid, watched it several times.

It was actually Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, not Meatballs.

As for Mayim, she definitely has fun with it, as opposed to the much more distinguished Alex Trebek, and I can see where some might not like that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2022, 11:53:23 AM »

Yeah...

It wasn't all that long ago when there was a buzzer that would sound with a minute left in each round, and it wasn't at all uncommon that you'd have 3-5 uncovered clues at the end of the round.  That hardly ever happens anymore.  The whole point of shorthand is to save time so that they can get through all 30 clues per round.  As I mentioned, the contestants are expressly told to abbreviate, and I can't even conceive how it has anything to do with respect for the game or any person.

As someone who criticized it, for the record, not "mad" at all.  And if the producers tell them to do it, then I've got nothing to say about it, carry on.   It always struck me as presumptuous; obviously if they are being told that's the definition of NOT presumptuous!  :) :) :)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »
I guess I figured that my response was so over-the-top that I wouldn't need green text.  Next time, I will try to go further over the top.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
I guess I figured that my response was so over-the-top that I wouldn't need green text.  Next time, I will try to go further over the top.
lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2022, 06:51:22 PM »
An earlier show, she laughed, and was all giggly as she admonished the players:  "C'mon guys, none of you know the movie 'Meatballs!'"
(sorry, but neither of us had heard of it).  Embarrassing.

Oh, and 'Jeopardy round' is now the 'Single Jeopardy' round.   :huh:

I've read on their Fbook page where some people switch to Closed Caption when she hosts.

I haven't noticed this yet, but https://www.tvinsider.com/1032047/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-makes-slight-change-to-show-and-viewers-arent-happy/?fbclid=IwAR0H5ZyUay0mrz7wOrsPcGHTrkq8-WgCwdjZqawENzFS44YiElW_qzMbFa8

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2022, 03:26:13 PM »
Haven't chimed in for a while.  Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed Mattea's run (though I still think a ten game limit is in order).

She's missed quite a few 'Final Jeopardy' clues, and should have lost one game, but the only contestant who got it correct didn't bid enough.

There's been a lot of bad bidding in that round the last month, more so than any stretch I've watched. The above is one example.  A few others where the 3rd place person would have won if they had just bid zero.  Their ONLY chance to win was for the others to be wrong (which happened, but they messed up).  One night, second place had $10K, the defending champ $12K.  Both were wrong.  $10K person 'only' bid $8000, leaving her with $2000.  The leader with $12K didn't bid $8001, which would have put her at $20,001 with a correct response, and $3999 with an incorrect response, .....she bid it all.   :facepalm:

Oh, and two nights ago, two contestants with negative totals.  I forget now how long it had been since that happened.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2022, 07:16:17 PM »
Oh, and two nights ago, two contestants with negative totals.  I forget now how long it had been since that happened.

You know, I've watched Jeopardy faithfully for many years - we DVR them though I'm sure I've been a few here and there - and I don't recall EVER seeing this happen before.

Crazy!
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2022, 08:36:08 PM »
My wife and I were both dumbfounded about the two negative scores. I'm sure it's happened before, but we've never seen it.

Yes, Mattea has grown on me. I like her a lot. She's quirky and smiley, but also seriously competitive when she's locked in.

Scolds herself constantly about not betting more when she knows a Daily Double, but overall her conservative wagering on those and Final Jeopardy  has served her well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2022, 08:57:53 PM »
I'm a full two weeks behind on my Jeopardy.  I watched Mattea's first couple episodes, and my daughter watched the last part of one, and I asked if she wanted to watch more.  She said yes, so I waited for her, but she was busy, so....  My kid actually looks a little like Mattea, so I'll remain patient.

Here's an article discussing some rare scoring scenarios:  https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-scenes/breaking-down-four-rare-jeopardy-scenarios

I believe the triple $0 has happened more than once.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2022, 05:37:00 PM »
I really enjoy Mattea. She’s got this nerd-cute thing going on which is appealing to me.

« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2022, 09:49:13 AM »
Mattea finally ousted (guessing no spoilers at this point). Great run, though. I don't think she can quite hang with Amy and Matt in the TOC, but she can make it interesting.

I agree about the cute nerd thing. Hair doesn't bother me, though...she may want to use some of her winnings to get some grill work done. That might be a deal breaker otherwise.    :biggrin:

Offline Harmony

« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2022, 08:37:03 PM »
Well....Ryan is out after 16 wins.  I kind of liked him.  He was not a huge risk taker and you could tell he wasn't really sure of himself a lot, but I liked his lack of ego.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2022, 11:56:31 AM »
The next Tournament of Champions is going to be ridiculous!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #303 on: June 09, 2022, 02:12:06 PM »
Well....Ryan is out after 16 wins.  I kind of liked him.  He was not a huge risk taker and you could tell he wasn't really sure of himself a lot, but I liked his lack of ego.

Yes we were rooting for Ryan big-time. Suck it fat haters.

« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2022, 11:46:44 AM »
Ryan had quite a run. Now Eric is killing it for the past week. I can see why he beat Ryan.....he may go on an extended streak himself.

« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2022, 04:43:29 AM »
Eric loses in Final Jeopardy by TWO dollars!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #306 on: June 15, 2022, 04:50:05 AM »

That was some interesting wagering.

« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2022, 04:18:01 PM »

Right! Eric did not have a runaway....so why did Megan not bet enough to pass his total going into Final Jeopardy? That made no sense....all Eric had to do was bet ZERO dollars and she would have lost regardless of whether he got the answer right or not. She's lucky he bet just enough to lose.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #308 on: June 21, 2022, 09:35:06 AM »

Right! Eric did not have a runaway....so why did Megan not bet enough to pass his total going into Final Jeopardy? That made no sense....all Eric had to do was bet ZERO dollars and she would have lost regardless of whether he got the answer right or not. She's lucky he bet just enough to lose.

So...I finally got around to watching this episode last night.  The scores going into Final J were:

Eric:  $18,600
Megan:  $10,000
Barry:  $9,000

Eric had a runaway as against Barry but not as against Megan.  Therefore, the logical wagers were as follows:

Eric:  $1,401 (which was his actual wager).  This wager assures Eric that, if he answers correctly, he'll win.  Unfortunately, he could not guard against losing to Barry if he doubled his money and answered correctly.  Therefore, there would have been no additional downside  to wagering more than this amount.  Wagering $0 was also a possibility but not a good one (see below).

Barry:  $8,200.  As noted, if Eric successfully responded to FJ, Barry couldn't catch him.  Therefore, Barry had to wager for the possibility of Eric getting it wrong but also needed to take into account Megan's strategy, which is a bit complex as discussed below.  Assuming Eric wagered logically, then Barry should have wagered enough to pass Eric.  If Eric wagered $1,401 and missed, he'd be left with $17,199, so Barry should have wagered enough to surpass that number, which meant he should have wagered $8,200, which would have left him at $17,200.  However, his best chance would have been to wager everything he had (see below).  His actual wager of $8,000 made no sense at all.

Megan:  Several options for Megan.  Megan's first option was to double her money by wagering $10k.  However, Eric could have easily countered that (and did), so her smarter move was to wager based on the premise that Eric would be incorrect.  If Eric were incorrect and wagered $0, Megan should have wagered $8,601.  However, wagering $0 would have been illogical for Eric because it takes the result out of his hand.  Wagering $0 leaves it entirely up to Megan (who, as it turns out, was the only person to respond correctly).  That leaves Megan's third, which was wagering what she did wager - $7,201.  If Eric makes his most logical wager ($1,401) and responds incorrectly, then $7,201 wins (and actually did win) her the game.  The $7,201 wager assumes Eric wagers logically and counts on him being incorrect.  Since a correct response by Eric wins no matter the wager (unless Eric illogically wagers $0), Megan's wager was the almost right decision.  The problem is that, had Barry responded correctly and made a more intelligent wager, he would have won.  Therefore, Megan should have wagered $8,001.

I always wonder how much time they get to make their wagers.  I assume it's more than the 2-minute commercial break, but I wonder if it's enough time to do all the necessary math.  Hopefully, one of these days, I'll have the opportunity to find out.

P.S. Eric commented in a post-show interview that he completely overthought what I thought was a crazy obvious Watergate question.  I kinda feel like when you see that the category is "1972," your first thought is either Watergate or the Munich Olympics.  While they all gave Watergate-related responses, Nixon was really the obvious response.

« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2022, 05:15:00 AM »

So...I finally got around to watching this episode last night.  The scores going into Final J were:

Eric:  $18,600
Megan:  $10,000
Barry:  $9,000

Eric had a runaway as against Barry but not as against Megan.  Therefore, the logical wagers were as follows:

Eric:  $1,401 (which was his actual wager).  This wager assures Eric that, if he answers correctly, he'll win.  Unfortunately, he could not guard against losing to Barry if he doubled his money and answered correctly.  Therefore, there would have been no additional downside  to wagering more than this amount.  Wagering $0 was also a possibility but not a good one (see below).

Barry:  $8,200.  As noted, if Eric successfully responded to FJ, Barry couldn't catch him.  Therefore, Barry had to wager for the possibility of Eric getting it wrong but also needed to take into account Megan's strategy, which is a bit complex as discussed below.  Assuming Eric wagered logically, then Barry should have wagered enough to pass Eric.  If Eric wagered $1,401 and missed, he'd be left with $17,199, so Barry should have wagered enough to surpass that number, which meant he should have wagered $8,200, which would have left him at $17,200.  However, his best chance would have been to wager everything he had (see below).  His actual wager of $8,000 made no sense at all.

Megan:  Several options for Megan.  Megan's first option was to double her money by wagering $10k.  However, Eric could have easily countered that (and did), so her smarter move was to wager based on the premise that Eric would be incorrect.  If Eric were incorrect and wagered $0, Megan should have wagered $8,601.  However, wagering $0 would have been illogical for Eric because it takes the result out of his hand.  Wagering $0 leaves it entirely up to Megan (who, as it turns out, was the only person to respond correctly).  That leaves Megan's third, which was wagering what she did wager - $7,201.  If Eric makes his most logical wager ($1,401) and responds incorrectly, then $7,201 wins (and actually did win) her the game.  The $7,201 wager assumes Eric wagers logically and counts on him being incorrect.  Since a correct response by Eric wins no matter the wager (unless Eric illogically wagers $0), Megan's wager was the almost right decision.  The problem is that, had Barry responded correctly and made a more intelligent wager, he would have won.  Therefore, Megan should have wagered $8,001.

I always wonder how much time they get to make their wagers.  I assume it's more than the 2-minute commercial break, but I wonder if it's enough time to do all the necessary math.  Hopefully, one of these days, I'll have the opportunity to find out.

P.S. Eric commented in a post-show interview that he completely overthought what I thought was a crazy obvious Watergate question.  I kinda feel like when you see that the category is "1972," your first thought is either Watergate or the Munich Olympics.  While they all gave Watergate-related responses, Nixon was really the obvious response.

Wow....a lot to unpack here. Nicely done. Bottom line for Megan....as you suggested....she should have bet $8,001. That's why I say she was very fortunate. Though, yes....moot point now.

Craziest thing....Megan won THREE times by TWO dollars!!! What are the odds of THAT??? I don't even have to check the Jeopardy archives to know that has NEVER happened before.

Megan's reign over. I think that retraction from her total at the end made a difference in her wagering in Final Jeopardy. Her response was "Tweedledee and Tweedledum"....and they only wanted Tweedledee. So the extra info was not relevant and they corrected her score accordingly. Current champ Jeff Weinstock made a similar blunder earlier in the game, and he was not given credit for the answer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »
I didn't go in thinking that last post would be THAT long.   :)

I haven't watched any more recent episodes yet, but this has been one heck of an odd season.  I've been watching on the regular for a LONG time and can't ever recall this many 5+ and 10+ day champions in such a short time frame.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2022, 01:12:28 PM »
I finally caught up on my Jeopardy episodes (my Jeopisodes?).

Megan might be the least impressive 6x winner ever.  She always seemed surprised to have won.

I have to imagine that, when they get to the TOC, folks like Megan are going to be super intimidated by the "mega champs."

« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2022, 05:01:44 AM »
Quality of contestants has taken an instant nosedive. Champion from previous day won with $10,000 total (and started Double Jeopardy with $200...so that tells you how the other two did in that round)....then got beat yesterday by someone with $5,000 total. All three were incorrect. All three had less than $10,000 going into Final Jeopardy. Wow. Pining for Matea or Amy right now. Yeesh.  :huh:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2022, 03:51:48 PM »
I caught up on my Jeopardy this weekend.

I don't remember which day it was, but there was one day where the three contestants went into final Jeopardy with the following scores:  Defending champ - $20,000; Contestant #2 - $10,000; Contestant #3 - $3,200.

Obviously, Contestant #2 needs to wager the full $10k so that, with a correct response, he can tie the champ or possibly win if the champ is wrong.  The champ should either bet $0 (if she's not comfortable with the category) or some relatively small amount of money (really didn't need to be more than $1).

So...they get to the reveal, and Contestant #3 gets it wrong.  Then they go to Contestant #2, who gets it correct...BUT he only wagered $3,000.  WTF?  The champ also got it wrong and wagered only $1, so if Contestant #2 had wagered everything, he'd have won.  Literally the only down side to Contestant #2 wagering everything was that he might have finished in third place and gotten $1,000 instead of $2,000.  Big whoop!  Only wagering a few thousand absolutely guaranteed that he'd finish in second place.  How do you not bet on yourself to win?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: July 30, 2022, 12:23:06 AM »
I wish I'd have kept a tally, but the bidding has been deplorable so often over the past three months.  3rd place with hardly anything can still win, if the top 2 are close and have to bid it all, and are wrong.  Yet, I've seen that person in 3rd screw the pooch.

I've seen the leader bid it all when she didn't have to. I mean, the leader never has to bid it all.  All three were wrong, but she lost because she had zero.

Jeff got lucky a few times, but he bid small amounts where if everyone was wrong, including himself, he'd win.

I think the most recent tiebreaker had the top two at $10K and $15K.  $10K bid it all, and ended at $20K.  $15K bid $5K....not $5K plus $1. That person lost the tiebreak (deservedly so).

Most recently:  $11,000   ....  $11,800 .... $21,000 

Mr. 11K bid $3000.  WTW?  Even if the others are wrong, you aren't winning  :facepalm: