A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29860 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:17 AM »
yeah, I kind of wondered the same.

I would like to see him go up against Holzhauer though. It may just only be a matter of time.
Tournament of Champions?

No...Holzhauer was on during the 2018-2019 season and appeared on and won the 2019 TOC.  The only way Holzhauer and Amodio will face each other will be on a "Greatest of All Time" tournament similar to the one that aired in January 2020 between Holzhauer, Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings.

By the way, I just read this morning (although it's apparently not new information) that Jennings will be back to host some Jeopardy episodes through the end of 2021.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »
My wife checked in way more times than I did, I watched a few of Jonathan Fisher's wins, and it's been nice this week to sit with her for every show.  Competition!  Different winners for the past four nights!  Woot! Woot!

A recent clue was 'What was the first program that NBC telecast in color on January 1st, 1954?'

A few years before my time, but I correctly answered 'what is the Tournament of Roses Parade?'  Yea.  Oddly, the contestant said 'what is the Rose Parade?' and were given credit for a correct answer, without needed to give the full answer.  This is happening a bit too much.

Mayim is doing pretty good.  Helps having different contestants, she's quite comfortable now, and it shows.  Hell, it took me years to warm up to Alex (yeah, I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming and Don Pardo).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #247 on: October 30, 2021, 06:24:28 PM »
A few years before my time, but I correctly answered 'what is the Tournament of Roses Parade?'  Yea.  Oddly, the contestant said 'what is the Rose Parade?' and were given credit for a correct answer, without needed to give the full answer.  This is happening a bit too much.

??  Are you suggesting they shouldn't have accepted "Rose Parade"?  If so, that's a little like saying they shouldn't accept "Rhode Island" if the clue were "State founded by Roger Williams."

Mayim is doing pretty good.  Helps having different contestants, she's quite comfortable now, and it shows.  Hell, it took me years to warm up to Alex (yeah, I'm old enough to remember Art Fleming and Don Pardo).

I can't remember when I started watching regularly, but Fleming was before my time.  I've watched some of his episodes, and the pacing of the show made it hard to watch.  I was skeptical about Bialik as host.  She was fine when she did her guest hosting stint, but it felt like it was Amy from The Big Bang Theory doing the hosting.  However, now that she's had several weeks, I'm getting more comfortable with her.  She's witty and shows it in about the right amount, and her intellectual credentials are beyond reproach.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2021, 06:01:18 PM »

??  Are you suggesting they shouldn't have accepted "Rose Parade"?  If so, that's a little like saying they shouldn't accept "Rhode Island" if the clue were "State founded by Roger Williams."

Well, they used to at least ask 'can you be more specific'...i.e., your answer is slightly incomplete.

As to Roger Williams, that's a trick question (depending on how it's asked) and I thank google for now knowing that.  He didn't found Rhode Island, he found what would become Rhode Island. 

per wiki:  "founded Providence Plantations, which became the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations and later the U.S. State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, now the State of Rhode Island."

I will say, that is a mouthful.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2021, 10:02:57 AM »

Well, they used to at least ask 'can you be more specific'...i.e., your answer is slightly incomplete.

They still do that.  "President who walked softly and carried a big stick."  "Who is Roosevelt?"  "Be more specific."

Answering "Rose Parade" does not require more specificity.  There's no "Rose Garden Parade," in addition to the "Tournament of Roses Parade," such that more specificity would be required.  It's the same issue as with Sgt. Pepper that I think we discussed not long ago:  https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-scenes/judges-table-sgt-peppers-what.  "Sgt. Pepper" and "Sgt. Pepper's" are acceptable because they are widely accepted abbreviations of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."  Likewise, "Rose Parade" is commonly used to refer to the Tournament of Roses Parade.  However, just as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart" was not acceptable, I suspect, "Tournament of Rose" would not be acceptable.

As to Roger Williams, that's a trick question (depending on how it's asked) and I thank google for now knowing that.  He didn't found Rhode Island, he found what would become Rhode Island. 

per wiki:  "founded Providence Plantations, which became the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations and later the U.S. State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, now the State of Rhode Island."

I will say, that is a mouthful.

It wasn't intended to be a trick question, but I have now learned that, in 2020, the voters in Rhode Island amended the state constitution to drop "and Providence Plantations" from the official state name.   :)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2021, 08:39:37 AM »
I google Roger Williams, but I don't google 'Rose Parade' before my wild rant.   :facepalm:  :D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2021, 01:17:18 PM »
I don't know how seriously Aaron Rodgers was considered for the new host, but recent events leave me feeling like they dodged a huge bullet.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2021, 06:51:04 AM »
 :tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2021, 09:30:49 PM »
Ken Jennings returned last week, and I will say his transition back has been smooth. 

There have been a couple of recent Final Jeopardy clues that made me smile, and a couple of final wagers that were head scratchers.  Also, whether most topics haven't been 'up my alley' or not, but recently I've only been correct about 20% of the time.  I am always impressed with the knowledge of the contestants, but when I can't even come close to making a half axed guess most of the time, and they're answering right and left, my admiration increases even more.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 05:48:03 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2021, 09:21:22 AM »
It's interesting that Johnny Gilbert introduces Jennings with, "And now, hosting Jeopardy!  Ken Jennings."  As opposed to, "And now, the host of Jeopardy!  Mayim Bialik."

The clue from last week about Bohemian Rhapsody and Mamma Mia was a tough one (none of the contestants got it), and I don't think it was particularly well-worded.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #255 on: December 06, 2021, 05:43:17 AM »
Completely in AWE of Amy's current run. She is making Matt Amodio a distant memory. Even Ken is just enthralled with this kind of dominance.  :hefdaddy

I know most of the reactions on this thread with Matt were wishing he would lose sooner than later. That the underdog is king. I tend to agree with this in general (parity in sports for example), though I must admit there is an appeal to seeing how far a run can go. Hoping there's no such thing as the DT Forum jinx. Seeing Amy dispense justice in this manner, I doubt that will come into play. I think there's going to have to be a big mistake on a Daily Double, not get the right categories (though her knowledge base is very expansive!), or just run out of desire to win (in much the same way Matt seemed to succumb). That, or some new ASS KICKER just takes it.

Sooner or later, but my guess is later.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #256 on: December 06, 2021, 08:30:20 AM »
It will definitely be later because there is a 2 week pause now for the Tournament of Professors (or something like that).

Amy's run has indeed been very impressive! 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline pg1067

« Reply #257 on: December 06, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
I didn't watch any of last week's episodes this weekend.  As is often the case, I tend to get bored with multi-day champs sometime between 5-10 wins, and Amy is no exception.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2021, 11:57:43 AM »
I didn't watch any of last week's episodes this weekend.  As is often the case, I tend to get bored with multi-day champs sometime between 5-10 wins, and Amy is no exception.
She is extremely dominant.  I've enjoyed her run, because she's not inherently unlikable like the last clown.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #259 on: December 06, 2021, 08:55:16 PM »
Grew up watching, then didn't have TV for a long time so didn't watch it much for a long time. Back when the pandemic started we talked ourselves into signing up for Netflix, but the only thing that I had any interest in watching was Jeopardy. My kids got into watching it with me for a while, but we cancelled before long.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 14, 2021, 06:20:17 PM »
I have enjoyed Amy Schneider's run.  A very pleasant personality, and some big wagers.  But, with all 10+ time winners, I wish there was a limit.

The 'Professors Challenge' has been entertaining with THE host Mayim Bialik (after pg1067 mentioned it, we always notice it....)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2022, 08:17:16 AM »
Amy Schneider reached 26 wins, and went over $1 million last night.  Yet another runaway win.  Nice woman, but it is time.

Sadly, she made the news for another reason this week  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/01/05/jeopardy-winner-amy-schneider-robbed/

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2022, 11:56:01 PM »
Well, the streak continues.

Oddly, she struck out on four straight Final Jeopardys this week.  My wife and I had all of them.  Double arm raises!!!!  Now, if only........ ;)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2022, 08:37:57 AM »
Amy has stumbled on the last few final Jeopardy questions yet still the streak continues. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2022, 02:59:16 PM »
The streak ended last night.  I knew it would happen eventually, but it was a little stunning, I must admit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2022, 05:04:52 PM »
The streak ended last night.  I knew it would happen eventually, but it was a little stunning, I must admit.

There was speculation that she tanked it on purpose, that it was a question she should've known. I wasn't watching, did that seem to be the case or did she clearly seem not to know?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2022, 05:48:36 PM »

There was speculation that she tanked it on purpose, that it was a question she should've known. I wasn't watching, did that seem to be the case or did she clearly seem not to know?

I think that same sort of speculation occurred when Matt Amodio finally lost.  I'm about 5-6 episodes behind, so I haven't see it either.  This will give me something to look forward to (nothing against Amy but, as I've said before, I get bored with most mega-champions by about the 10th appearance).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2022, 07:59:43 AM »

She seemed not to know.

I didn't know it either.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2022, 08:49:22 AM »

She seemed not to know.

I didn't know it either.

Wait... You didn't know it?

My world is fucking shattered.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »
It will be OK.

As soon as we found out what the answer was, I was pissed that I couldn't come up with it.  I should have known.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
I like to think I'd have known that, but I saw the correct resposne at the same time I saw the clue, so I can't be sure.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the clue was, "The only nation in the world whose name in English ends in an H, it's also one of the 10 most populous."

The correct response:  Bangladesh.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2022, 12:45:51 PM »
George Harrison knows the answer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
It does honestly seem like a relatively easy clue.  I would imagine there's some fatigue after that many episodes - especially if you're on your fifth episode in a day.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2022, 09:24:34 AM »
George Harrison knows the answer.

:hefdaddy

btw, my wife got it, and I'm like 'yup'.

Amy didn't tank, she just didn't know.  I think she lost around $40K total in two consecutive Final Jeopardy's, then pocketed $25K the show before.  She missed quite a few the week before.  Things happen.  Plus, for once, a contestant had enough and hit big on a Double Jeopardy late. 

It'll be interesting to see her and Matt go head to head later on, and see her after that.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2022, 09:35:33 AM »
For those of you on Twitter, Amy posted a lengthy thread recapping her final episode.

@Jeopardamy

[posts pertaining to final]

So it was coming down to Final Jeopardy! I couldn't even remember the last time that happened, and I was unprepared for the pressure of the moment. The category was revealed, and I couldn't have picked a better one for myself, but my brain refused to be comforted

And ultimately, that's what it came down to. The clue came up and I thought "I'll definitely get this," but when it didn't come to me in the first few seconds, I started panicking in a totally unproductive way

I was trying to mentally hop around the globe, but a part of my brain was screaming "NOOOOO" which made it hard. The most frustrating thing is that I was *right there,* my brain went "India? Pakistan? Nepal?" and then just jumped to another part of the world

So, since there's nothing even to guess there, given that there's only one country ending in "H", I was left with a blank screen. My only hope was that Rhone had missed, but Ken said "Bangladesh," and I knew it was over

Ngl, it was crushing. I know I'd been thinking my streak would end, but that doesn't mean I wanted it to! But I had to put my best face on, and make sure that I didn't pull any focus from Rhone, it was a great, well-deserved moment for him and he deserved to enjoy it to the full!

« Reply #275 on: January 30, 2022, 05:19:23 PM »
Candid response from a great champion. Based on the reaction conveyed, I don't think she tanked.

Glad she gave Rhone credit....he made quite a comeback. Interesting, however....just how poorly he did in the very next match!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2022, 06:47:56 PM »
Candid response from a great champion. Based on the reaction conveyed, I don't think she tanked.

Glad she gave Rhone credit....he made quite a comeback. Interesting, however....just how poorly he did in the very next match!

The woman who beat Ken Jennings finished her defending champion episode with $2 (it was a runaway for the woman who won).

The woman who beat James Holzhauer won two more days (winning almost $100k) and then lost in a very close final in which she got it wrong.

The guy who beat Matt Amodio won eleven times (winning almost $250k) and then lost in a very close final that everyone got right.

« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2022, 04:42:50 AM »

The woman who beat Ken Jennings finished her defending champion episode with $2 (it was a runaway for the woman who won).

The woman who beat James Holzhauer won two more days (winning almost $100k) and then lost in a very close final in which she got it wrong.

The guy who beat Matt Amodio won eleven times (winning almost $250k) and then lost in a very close final that everyone got right.

Interesting context on these....the curly headed guy who looked like the kid from Bad Santa (no offense) being the anomaly. He had a legit run.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2022, 08:41:32 AM »
I liked the guy who beat Matt, but, maybe it was from fatigue because there was yet another person going on a run right away.

Anyhoo, Mayim is back.  Two things:  she was taking waaaay too much joy giving the correct response when none of the contestants could, and she seemed to have drank ten cups of coffee between the Monday and Tuesday filmings.

« Reply #279 on: February 03, 2022, 04:28:05 PM »

Anyhoo, Mayim is back.  Two things:  she was taking waaaay too much joy giving the correct response when none of the contestants could, and she seemed to have drank ten cups of coffee between the Monday and Tuesday filmings.
Agree....she could dial it back a bit. I do think her enthusiasm is genuine (and therefore has a charm to it), and a little of it now and then is not an issue. But it's to the point where she makes it more about her than the contestants.

And yes....while Ken also revels sometimes when he knows an answer....yesterday Mayim implored the contestants "c'mon guys!", when not getting an answer she thought was quite obvious. Might be a little funny/spontaneous....and not the worst thing in the world....but still scolding.

Also, and Ken does, and Alex did occasionally too (so again, not a big indictment), but she almost always gives you the full name of someone in an answer (when the contestants only give the perfunctory last name)....or some other impromtu nugget.