A couple times a month
2 (12.5%)
Hardly ever
9 (56.3%)
What's Jeopardy?
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 26, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Author Topic: Jeopardy  (Read 29132 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jeopardy
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2021, 11:25:12 PM »
for the record, I'm disappointed at the Anderson Cooper choice. 

The future ex guest host is a phony TV doctor dishing out phony advice.  And he's so smug in dispensing some of the BS.  I felt that way about way before the last couple of years.

Soils the integrity of the show.  Wish they could find a Dick Enberg, pleasing to all, and stop the silly nonsense. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2021, 11:52:25 AM »

for the record, I'm disappointed at the Anderson Cooper choice. 

The future ex guest host is a phony TV doctor dishing out phony advice.  And he's so smug in dispensing some of the BS.  I felt that way about way before the last couple of years.

Soils the integrity of the show.  Wish they could find a Dick Enberg, pleasing to all, and stop the silly nonsense.

Worse, he's a REAL doctor giving bad medical advice.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »
I watched last week's Jeopardy! episodes.  I thought Dr. Oz was pretty good.  Definitely better than Katie Couric.  So far, I've liked Ken Jennings best, but Mike Richards and Dr. Oz are only a step behind.  It's interesting that it now seems like the whole guest host thing is being used as a way for the producers to make charitable donations.  Of course, that assumes it will continue with the subsequent guest hosts.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2021, 05:07:42 PM »
Rodgers dry persona is not the best fit as host.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »
Yeah, he was funny a couple of times, but overall seemed a little stiff.

Nerves?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2021, 12:00:17 PM »

Alex was pretty dry.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2021, 02:57:23 PM »

Alex was pretty dry.

True, maybe too monotone would be a better description.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:15 AM »
But that was the beauty of Alex Trebek.   He wasn't boring, nor was he lacking in personality.  He just knew the show wasn't about him, it was about the players and their knowledge.   That's the sort of irony about the guest hosting; it puts an emphasis on the host that hasn't been there for decades.   I think that's why, of all the hosts I've seen (and I haven't seen all of them, for sure) I like Ken Jennings the most; he seemed to get that essence the best.  I wonder if he talked to Alex about that?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2021, 10:24:53 PM »
I can't judge his predecessor, as we avoided those two weeks, but Rodgers was a very good host.  I read an interview where he was close to keeping 'Alex time' (very few edits).  He had a good voice, had a good wit, and was very relaxed.  Good but not great during the interviews, but that's not his forte. 

I wasn't keen at all about Anderson Cooper when I heard the news.  It was only his first night, and it takes a few as a viewer to get used to new voices, but he was quite good.  And interviewing is a natural for him. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
I can't judge his predecessor, as we avoided those two weeks, but Rodgers was a very good host.

For my money, Rodgers was easily the worst of the guest hosts.  That's not to say he was bad, but he shouldn't quit his day job.  His first episode was so bad, I actually considered not watching the rest, but he did improve.  To the very end, however, he would trail off when he wasn't quite sure how to end a thought.

My "rankings" so far:

Jennings
Richards/Oz
Couric
Rodgers

I'll watch this week's guy over the weekend.  I don't know most of the upcoming guest hosts.  I suspect Buzzy Cohen will be pretty good, although I wasn't a huge fan of him as a contestant.  I'll be interested to see how Mayim Bialik does, and they recently announced that Joe Buck will do a stint over the summer, which should be very good.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
I can't judge his predecessor, as we avoided those two weeks, but Rodgers was a very good host.

For my money, Rodgers was easily the worst of the guest hosts.  That's not to say he was bad, but he shouldn't quit his day job.  His first episode was so bad, I actually considered not watching the rest, but he did improve.  To the very end, however, he would trail off when he wasn't quite sure how to end a thought.

My "rankings" so far:

Jennings
Richards/Oz
Couric
Rodgers

I'll watch this week's guy over the weekend.  I don't know most of the upcoming guest hosts.  I suspect Buzzy Cohen will be pretty good, although I wasn't a huge fan of him as a contestant.  I'll be interested to see how Mayim Bialik does, and they recently announced that Joe Buck will do a stint over the summer, which should be very good.

With the proviso that I LOVE Joe Buck, both as a broadcaster and a personality (he's good on Stern), I worry.  He's good on Stern because he's honest and he's self-aware; he knows he's playing a game with Howard and he plays along.   I would hope that he would bring that self-awareness to Jeopardy, and adjust to the circumstances as opposed to making the circumstances adjust to him.    He's also not shy, which could go either way.  I have no idea who Buzzy Cohen is, and I have little interest in Mayim Bialik. 

I didn't see Oz, but I agree with your rankings otherwise.   Not that Aaron did badly - I don't think he did - he's just not at Ken Jennings' level (and he needs a new hairdo!).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
Buzzy Cohen was a 9-time champion back in 2016 (and, according to Wikipedia, a music industry executive).  He returned for a tournament of champions and an all-star tournament.  He had a style that lots of folks liked but which also rubbed some the wrong way.

I also love Joe Buck as an announcer.  I wouldn't consume any Howard Stern-related product unless you paid me, so I don't know about the rest of what you mentioned.

Rodgers was so very, very monotone his first day.  He did improve, but some of his interactions with contestants were AWKWARD.  I only wished I had understood the field goal reference the first day.  Having to google to figure out what they were talking about caused it to lose any potential for humor.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2021, 01:35:28 PM »
Jeopardy! just announced the remaining guest hosts:

Anderson Cooper (Apr. 19-30)
Bill Whitaker (May 3-14)
Buzzy Cohen (May 17-28 - Tournament of Champions)
Mayim Bialik (May 31 - June 11)
Savannah Guthrie (June 14-25)
Sanjay Gupta (June 28 - July 9)
George Stephanopoulos (July 12-16)
Robin Roberts (July 19-23)
Lavar Burton (July 26-30)
David Faber (August 2-6)
Joe Buck (August 9-13)

It's not clear why the last five are only getting one week each.  Also, it looks like only those last five have yet to be recorded.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »
Jeopardy! just announced the remaining guest hosts:

Anderson Cooper (Apr. 19-30)
Bill Whitaker (May 3-14)
Buzzy Cohen (May 17-28 - Tournament of Champions)
Mayim Bialik (May 31 - June 11)
Sanjay Gupta (June 28 - July 9)
George Stephanopoulos (July 12-16)
Robin Roberts (July 19-23)
Lavar Burton (July 26-30)
David Faber (August 2-6)
Joe Buck (August 9-13)

It's not clear why the last five are only getting one week each.  Also, it looks like only those last five have yet to be recorded.

WOW.  Other than Joe Buck and maybe Lavar Burton, I have zero interest in ANY of those.  Not that I care (but since some had a problem with Dr. Oz), but it's a rather... liberal crowd.   :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »
A lot of folks on Facebook seem to have a huge chubby about Lavar Burton.  No idea why.  Mayim Bialik and Joe Buck are the only ones I care about, but I'll watch them all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »
Should I know who these people are?

Bill Whitaker (May 3-14)
David Faber (August 2-6)

Just checked, they are journalists. So... no, there is no reason I should.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »
A lot of folks on Facebook seem to have a huge chubby about Lavar Burton.  No idea why. 
Because he hosted Reading Rainbow.  Nostalgia.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »
That was my take as well.  LeVar Burton comes across as intelligent yet personable, which is key to hosting a show like this.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2021, 09:53:50 AM »

Bill Whitaker (May 3-14)
David Faber (August 2-6)

Don't know, but I didn't know either.

A lot of folks on Facebook seem to have a huge chubby about Lavar Burton.  No idea why. 

I get that, but the Jeopardy fans on Facebook tend to skew older, and Reading Rainbow didn't debut until 1983.  I'd never heard of it, but maybe it's parents of kids who were watching it in the '80s.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2021, 09:59:53 AM »
Honestly, I know him from his acting more than anything, and even that is mostly from his rather funny guest appearances on Big Bang Theory. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
Honestly, I know him from his acting more than anything, and even that is mostly from his rather funny guest appearances on Big Bang Theory.

Same.  Kunta Kinte on Roots (I didn't watch, but it was a big deal in the late '70s), Lafarge on Star Trek, and cameos on BBT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2021, 02:24:16 PM »

Bill Whitaker (May 3-14)
David Faber (August 2-6)

Don't know, but I didn't know either.

I get that, but the Jeopardy fans on Facebook tend to skew older, and Reading Rainbow didn't debut until 1983.  I'd never heard of it, but maybe it's parents of kids who were watching it in the '80s.
Or older siblings.  Like, I didn't WATCH IT watch it, I was too old, but I was aware of it, and I knew that he was good at that, because my little brother watched it.  If I didn't know him from Star Trek, I would know him from Reading Rainbow, even though I didn't watch it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »
I watched the first week of Anderson Cooper episodes over the weekend.  He's really good.  Might be supplanting Jennings as my favorite of the guest hosts.

Also, I didn't realize that Mike Richards had hosted a 40-episode season of Pyramid about 10 years ago.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
I watched the first week of Anderson Cooper episodes over the weekend.  He's really good.  Might be supplanting Jennings as my favorite of the guest hosts.

Also, I didn't realize that Mike Richards had hosted a 40-episode season of Pyramid about 10 years ago.

Mike Richards as in Kramer??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2021, 03:00:56 PM »

Mike Richards as in Kramer??

This guy: 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2021, 08:12:12 AM »
Finally caught Anderson Cooper hosting last night.

Wow, he was great.  Best I've seen of the guest hosts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »
Finally caught Anderson Cooper hosting last night.

Wow, he was great.  Best I've seen of the guest hosts.

I watched last night too; he WAS good.   he's got the perfect cadence and delivery.

Haha, for the life of me I can't remember the question or the celebrity, but there was one question that no one got right and I was thinking "man, if [celebrity who was the subject of the question] saw that, it HAD to be a rude awakening!"   I wish I could remember the name, because I immediately thought it would be funny to post here.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2021, 09:55:46 AM »
I think Cooper was fine except for the delays in the acknowledging of the answers by the contestants (or I guess I should say questions). He seems very comfortable....as he should since he's an interviewer and tv personality already. I think that's something that gets lost in the assessment of Rogers. It's like a figure skater going on Dancing with the Stars vs a football player on either show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »
Is there a site that has each episode and the answers/questions?   I tried searching but I'm at work and the filter is unreliable.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2021, 10:37:28 AM »
Joe Buck is scheduled to be a guest host. The guy is hilarious so it will be fun when it's his turn.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »
Is there a site that has each episode and the answers/questions?   I tried searching but I'm at work and the filter is unreliable.

j-archive.com (apparently maintained by someone very fond of how the internet looked around the turn of the century).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2021, 06:06:39 AM »
Jboard.tv is a really good jeopardy message board.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »

I was less impressed with Cooper's second week, but he was still really good overall.

Onto another news guy I've never heard of.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2021, 06:07:44 PM »
Enjoyed the recent tournament of champions. I thought Buzzy was very good as a host.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2021, 03:22:48 PM »
Not surprisingly, all the hosts have ranged from good to very good.  I'm not sure I'd describe anyone as "great."

I'll be interested to see what Mayim Bialik is like.