Author Topic: Top 25 superhero movies of all time  (Read 4128 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Top 25 superhero movies of all time
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »
Saw a fun article earlier on the "top 25 superhero movies of all time," which got me thinking about how mine would rank.  For me, the MCU utterly dominates the list, which is not surprising due to both the quantity of films they have put out, and the overall quality they have striven for.  But I have some others on the list, like The Incredibles, Logan, The Dark Knight, and Raimi's Spider-Man.  Some of mine might fluctuate a bit if I saw the films again back-to-back with others that are nearby in the ranking.  But this is my best shot at it as of right now:

EDIT:  It took me a lot longer than I thought to type all that out, even trying to be brief.  Feel free to only do a top 10 (or even top 5) if that's what it takes to make the time to put a post together.

1. Infinity War:  Perhaps the fastest paced movie ever that doesn't feel as fast paced as it is.  Throughout the commentary, you frequently hear the phrase "every scene has to do more than one thing," and it is pretty obvious that everything in this film is deliberately planned and works well to create and (nearly) conclude a massive story arc.
2. Endgame:  This is almost "1b" to Infinity War's "1a."  It is a much different type of movie, but it does so many things so well, and pays off so many character arcs in such a satisfying way.  I rank it slightly lower than Infinity War just because the craziness of the time heist arc in act 2 was a little hard to swallow at times if you think too hard about it.
3. Spider-man Homecoming:  I love Spiderman, and this is such a fun portrayal of the character.  The scene with Peter and Toomes in the car is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  And the Ferris Bueller nugget hit me just right.
4. Avengers:  The first time it all really came together, and it was amazing. 
5. The Dark Knight:  Ledger's legendary performance, the overall dark tone, and an exceptional story combined to make this one of the best of all time.  Until very recently (obviously), this would have cracked my top 3.  On a different day, it still might.
6. Guardians of the Galaxy:  An unexpected, amazingly fun film on every level.
7. The Incredibles:  This is such a clever portrayal and commentary on superhero and spy tropes that I cannot not rank it highly on my list.  Thoroughly enjoyable.
8. Iron Man:  This film gets a lot of credit for taking a character I cared nothing about and making me care, and doing so in the context of a really good story, with the promise of even greater payoff later.
9. Avengers:  Age of Ultron:  I love this film.  It's kinda everything I would want and expect from "Avengers 2."  The action and story were cranked up several notches from anything we had gotten previously.  And all its flaws are really character flaws that one would naturally expect from characters who have come a LONG way, and who are just barely becoming aware that they still have a LONG way to go.
10. Captain America:  The First Avenger:  I had serious doubts about whether a Cap movie would work in this day and age, and I thought they brought it together brilliantly and made us love a character that I had serious doubts could resonate.
11. Logan:  Wow.  So dark.  So brutal.  And it subverts a lot of where we probably thought the X-universe would go.  And it all works so well.
12. Thor:  Ragnarok:  I have some issues with this film, but it is wacky and dark at the same time.  And at the end of the day, the wackiness is just plain fun, and there is a TON of really creative, crucial character development hidden in there.
13. Batman Begins:  This is the Batman movie many of us were waiting our whole lives for.  And while TDK made huge strides and telling an even better story, this was an excellent take on the character that was serious and believable.
14. Captain America:  The Winter Soldier:  A "very good" entry in the MCU.  I am not nearly as in love with it as most.  But it's solid.
15. Spider-Man:  Far from Home:  Not as good as the first, but plenty of good moments.  The thing is, we like the character, and we identify with him and others in this cast, and I feel like what works best for the 2 MCU spider films is the focus on character.
16. Doctor Strange:  Marvel brought us something new, and other than some things in the timeline not making sense, this movie was mostly very good.  And visually stunning.
17. Captain America:  Civil War:  I like this movie.  But I have to keep reminding myself that I like it.  And that is why it ranks so far down the list.
18. Iron Man III:  I'm honestly not sure why I rank this movie so low.  I like it a lot.  I LOVE Kingsley's character and the twist.  And I have zero problem with the third act or with Killian.  I guess it's just that Killian is only a "good" MCU villain, whereas Kingsley's faux-Mandarin promised so much more.  Still, few complaints about this one.
19. Spider-Man (2002):  This was such a great take on the character.  Although very different from the MCU portrayal of the character, this one got the character so right on so many levels.
20. Wonder Woman:  If only the boss fight at the end wasn't so typically DC "video game boss fight"-y, I might like this one more.  But still a very solid film.
21. Ant Man and the Wasp:  The more fun of the two already-very-fun Ant Man films.  Rudd is so perfect for this role and for the MCU.
22. Black Panther:  I liked this movie, but didn't love it.  Unlike many, I feel that Killmonger is just...eh.  He has a solid motivation for what he is doing.  But I just don't love him.  The rest of the film is...good.  Nothing wrong with it.  But I just don't love it.
23. Spider-Man II:  Good (not great) sequel. 
24. The Dark Knight Rises:  I haven't watched this in awhile, and feel like I should probably rank it a lot higher.  As I think back on specifics, there is a lot that I REALLY liked about this one.  Bain was such a fear-inspiring villain.  But once Bruce has his back broken, I have some serious issues with a lot that happens subsequently (or, more specifically, the timeframe over which it happens).  I don't have a problem with any of the story per se, but I have a REALLY hard time not being taken out of the moment by the timing and some other little things about how act 3 plays out after such great setup to get to that point.
25.  Thor: the Dark World:  I probably like this more than most.  Still, it's just a "good" MCU movie, and not much more.

EDIT2:  By the way, if anyone is interested, here's a link to the article that inspired this:   https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/25-best-superhero-movies-time-171334572.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:02:49 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Top 25 superhero movies of all time
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
Ooohhh, interesting.

This will require a little time and thought.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 04:07:25 PM »
Just curious Bosk, did you see Into the Spiderverse? That would be very high on my list for sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »
Just curious Bosk, did you see Into the Spiderverse? That would be very high on my list for sure.

I did.  Hated it, despite being able to respect the creativity and cleverness of the concept.  Nothing against anyone who dug it, but it didn't do anything for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
Fair enough, was just curious.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 06:09:44 PM »
These guys are not happy with your list.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »

I remember being a kid and thinking those were the coolest costumes ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 06:29:48 PM »
I've seen 2 movies on Bosk's list, and 7 on the Yahoo list.

I have always been fond of Superman and Superman II with Christopher Reeve. Those were the first two "Superhero" movies I can recall watching, and they made an impact on me when I was a kid. Much later I learned the convoluted history of Superman II, and then saw the Donner Cut. The silliness in SII never bothered me much as a kid, in fact I think much of it made it all the more appealing to me at the time.

Terence Stamp as General Zod is still one of my top 3 film antagonists ever.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »

I remember being a kid and thinking those were the coolest costumes ever.

Young Adami knew nothing about dialogue  but loved Bat Nipples.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »
No love for Batman 89? Superman 1978?

Probably my favorites. I get that they haven’t aged well and its nostalgia talking but, damn, those movies were my childhood. I wore those VHS tapes multiple times.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 06:21:15 AM »
No love for the first ensemble superhero movie either (x-men), or the franchise?  X2, First Class, and DoFP are miles better than more than a few of the ones I see listed above.  I'd also include Deadpool as another glaring omission.

I'm also with Chris that Superman I and II are A-list material.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 06:26:44 AM »
Even as a big MCU fan I think there's too much MCU on this list. Some good picks too though!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 07:24:30 AM »
Ditto ... 17/25 are MCU. That’s just a bit much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 08:24:10 AM »
I don't seem to have the ability to rank many things. So I've come up with a (always changing) list of 25, but they're not any specific order.

1.   Captain America: Winter Soldier
2.   Captain America: Civil War
3.   The Avengers
4.   Iron Man
5.   Avengers: Infinity War
6.   Avengers: Endgame
7.   X-Men: Days of Future Past
8.   Deadpool
9.   Logan
10.   Batman Begins
11.   The Dark Knight
12.   Batman 89
13.   Superman
14.   Spider-Man 2
15.   Spider-Man: Homecoming
16.   X-2
17.   Kick A$$
18.   Into the Spider-verse
19.   The Incredibles
20.   The Watchhmen (Director’s Cut)
21.   Thor: Ragnarök
22.   Black Panther
23.   Ant-Man
24.   Mystery Men
25.   Guardians of the Galaxy
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 08:28:48 AM »
no Darkman?

come on people!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
I work in an industry that basically requires me to watch every super hero movie that comes out and frankly I despise the large majority of them. These are the only ones I would ever think about watching again:

in no order

Superman 78
Batman 89/Batman Returns
Iron Man 1
Avengers Infinity/Endgame
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 04:09:59 AM »
The Marvel Universe movies are generally so damn good they dominate my list.

But here we go...

1. Winter Soldier.
2. The Dark Knight.
3. Infinity War.
4. Civil War.
5. Endgame.
6. The Crow (does this count?)
7. Spider man 2 (Raimi)
8. Avengers 1.
9. Batman Begins.
10. Guardians of Galaxy
11. Hellboy. (Perlman)
12. X-Men : First Class
13. Kick Ass
14. Ironman
15. Deadpool
16. Age of Ultron
17. Superman 2.
18. Logan
19. Wonder Women.
20. Ragnorok
21. Homecoming
22. Captain Marvel
23. Superman 1
24. Batman : Mask of the Phantasm.
25. X-Men 2.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:19:03 AM by soupytwist »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 08:00:13 AM »
No love for the first ensemble superhero movie either (x-men), or the franchise?   

Yeah, that's a tough one.  They were my favorite corner of the Marvel comics universe back in the '80s and early '90s.  But I don't feel the films have done them justice at all.  They weren't bad, but I didn't love any of them.  But feel free to do your own list.  That's what the thread is for!  :D

I'd also include Deadpool as another glaring omission.

Given its popularity, I get that.  Personally, I hated it.  I'm kinda bummed about how the movie franchises that have attempted twice to start Deadpool character arcs have completely ruined the character for me.

Yeah, you know, I have really fond memories of those films from back in the '80s.  A few years back, I tried to rewatch I, and found the pacing just way too slow, and couldn't get into it, so I stopped.  I have to go back and give those two a shot again at some point.

Ditto ... 17/25 are MCU. That’s just a bit much.

Well, maybe.  But:
The Marvel Universe movies are generally so damn good they dominate my list.
Not my fault they put out such a quality product in mass quantities.  :biggrin:

6. The Crow (does this count?)

Oh, good call!  I completely forgot about that one.  It's been far too long since I've seen it to rank it on my list, but I'll steal it and give it an honorable mention.  What I do still recall very well is that that movie was hands down the best a villain had been done up to that point.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »
No love for the first ensemble superhero movie either (x-men), or the franchise?  X2, First Class, and DoFP are miles better than more than a few of the ones I see listed above.  I'd also include Deadpool as another glaring omission.

X2 and Days of Future Past would absolutely be in my list. Those are the best of the 2 X-Men series. Deadpool 1 would be in my list along with Logan. One that would be near the top of my list, and be controversial, would be Watchmen. It might be my favorite comic book/superhero movie. I will admit that none of them are particularly super besides Dr. Manhattan.

I am a Marvel guy through and through.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »
I've seen 2 movies on Bosk's list, and 7 on the Yahoo list.

I have always been fond of Superman and Superman II with Christopher Reeve. Those were the first two "Superhero" movies I can recall watching, and they made an impact on me when I was a kid. Much later I learned the convoluted history of Superman II, and then saw the Donner Cut. The silliness in SII never bothered me much as a kid, in fact I think much of it made it all the more appealing to me at the time.

Terence Stamp as General Zod is still one of my top 3 film antagonists ever.
I'm with ya 100%!  My first thoughts coming into this thread was S1 and S2. Zod, and Hackman as Lex Luthor!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 06:48:22 PM »
One that would be near the top of my list, and be controversial, would be Watchmen. It might be my favorite comic book/superhero movie. I will admit that none of them are particularly super besides Dr. Manhattan.

I thought about Watchmen. I am not a big fan of the graphic novel (I honestly don't get the admiration, I don't even think it's Moore's best work) but highly enjoyed the movie. And "superheroes" like Batman don't have "super" powers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 04:56:10 PM »
One that is very close to my top 25 and I'm fighting with putting it in is Unbreakable.   I just loved the buildup to the reveal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »
I work in an industry that basically requires me to watch every super hero movie that comes out and frankly I despise the large majority of them. These are the only ones I would ever think about watching again:

in no order

Superman 78
Batman 89/Batman Returns
Iron Man 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

No Winter Soldier?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:52 PM »

in no order

Superman 78
Batman 89/Batman Returns
Iron Man 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

No Winter Soldier?

Winter Soldier exemplifies how I feel about 80% of the MCU movies: Not bad but ultimately forgettable,  glad I saw it, zero desire to ever revisit it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 09:40:40 AM »
And "superheroes" like Batman don't have "super" powers.

I have this argument with my best friend all the time. Batman is his #1 superhero, Spider-man is mine, and I always give him crap because Batman technically doesn't have any superpowers at all. He's just smart, rich, and has a lot of gadgets. Whereas Spidey has Spidey sense, super strength, agility, advanced jumping, can stick to walls, etc.

(And for all of Bruce's positive qualities, Tony Stark is smarter, richer (I think), with a lot cooler and more advanced gadgets. Ironically, the bat man can't fly, but the iron man can  :hat )
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
As someone who would rate Spider-Man as #1 and Batman as #2 among superheroes, I think for me the appeal of Batman is that while human, he's pushing himself as far as you can physically and mentally. His attention to detail when it comes to the detective side, how he uses his gadgets and all that. He's kinda like a cool ninja who also has detective skills. Iron Man is alright but for me the 'simplicity' and theme of Batman with the cave/picking the visual of a bat because of his past/the bat car and all that is a lot cooler than the Iron Man suit or Stark's technology.

But sure Batman doesn't technically have powers but like some people have argued before he's cunning and has an intellect that exceeds many others that he face.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (‘90)
2. Batman (‘89)
3. Batman Returns
4. The Matrix
5. Superman II
6.The Incredibles 
7. Batman Begins
8. Iron Man
9. Spider-Man (2002)
10. Spider Man: Homecoming
11. The Dark Knight
12. Thor: Ragnarok
13. The Avengers
14. Captain America: The First Avenger
15. Mortal Kombat
16. Logan
17. TMNT: Secret of the Ooze
18. Avengers: IW
19. Avengers: EG
20. Spider-Man 2
21. Iron Man 3
22. Ant-Man and the Wasp
23. Ant-Man
24. Blank Man
25. Superman

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 04:54:13 PM »
I dunno about my top 25 - would be way too hard to rank them

But : From the MCU - my top 5 would be :

1. Avengers Infinity War
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Iron Man
4. Guardians Of The Galaxy
5. Avengers (2012)

Other than that - Richard Donner's Superman (1978) The Dark Knight and Batman Begins obviously. I did enjoy Bryan Singer's Superman Returns a lot more than Man of Steel obviously

but - Bryan Singer AND Kevin Spacey. Yikes.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
A whole lot of MCU films for me, I think. I also think some of the superhero classics have aged poorly. Modern tech really has done a lot to make the superhero action pop off the screen.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »
A whole lot of MCU films for me, I think. I also think some of the superhero classics have aged poorly. Modern tech really has done a lot to make the superhero action pop off the screen.

Yes for sure. Very difficult to judge them all at once, rather than era-based.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
No love for the first ensemble superhero movie either (x-men), or the franchise?  X2, First Class, and DoFP are miles better than more than a few of the ones I see listed above. 

I watched DoFP the other day, since it is on D+.  It's just as much of a convolluted mess as I remember it being.  But that said, I would actually probably put it ahead of X-Men and X2.  One problem I did have with it is that it starts off with Bishop and a bunch of other characters we know nothing about that the film seems to take for granted that we do know.  Was there another movie I am forgetting in between X2 and this one that introduces those characters and gives them some back story?  You just have Bishop, Blink, and Warpath out of nowhere, and Shadowcat with new powers, and it is a jarring start.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2020, 07:30:36 PM »
Disregard, wrong thread!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:01:41 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2020, 07:55:05 PM »
???  What does Die Hard have to do with this thread?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Heh, sorry, wrong thread! Moved to "Last Movie You Saw" thread

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »

No love for the first ensemble superhero movie either (x-men), or the franchise?  X2, First Class, and DoFP are miles better than more than a few of the ones I see listed above. 

I watched DoFP the other day, since it is on D+.  It's just as much of a convolluted mess as I remember it being.  But that said, I would actually probably put it ahead of X-Men and X2.  One problem I did have with it is that it starts off with Bishop and a bunch of other characters we know nothing about that the film seems to take for granted that we do know.  Was there another movie I am forgetting in between X2 and this one that introduces those characters and gives them some back story?  You just have Bishop, Blink, and Warpath out of nowhere, and Shadowcat with new powers, and it is a jarring start.

No, they weren't introduced previously.  They're new mutants (but not "New Mutants") in the future.  Since we haven't seen that time period in the movies before, we haven't seen them before.  I recently watched the DoFP episodes of the animated series and it's basically the same: in the future most of the current X-Men are dead, and we are introduced to new characters.  Forge sends Bishop back to change the past.  I can't recall how it was set up in the comics.

The Rogue Cut of DoFP does add a little more to the future part of the story, though, if you want a slightly different viewing experience.