Author Topic: Future Tour Setlist...  (Read 45883 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Future Tour Setlist...
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2020, 10:32:59 PM »
Not to shoot down your post, Ben, but can I choose to not have any previous band members be invited?  :police:

Will construct setlist tomorrow.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2020, 10:42:57 PM »
Not to shoot down your post, Ben, but can I choose to not have any previous band members be invited?  :police:

Will construct setlist tomorrow.

Go for it...It's just an idea that I am doing for me.

I think I'll just post a new post when I finished mine. Since it's a new page.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2020, 11:23:33 PM »
Ok here we go, a 3-hour final show extravaganza Vlasto Send off to Dream Theater tour Feat/ Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Charlie Dominici, and Kevin Moore...Yes, you heard that right...KEVIN MOORE  :heart :heart  ;D

Set 1 (No Special Guests):
Bridges In The Sky
Room 137
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
Pale Blue Dot
Breaking All Illusions

~45:00

Set 2 (With Guests):
Overture 1928/
Strange Deja-Vu
---With Dominici---
Light Fuse and Get Away (or Status Seeker)
Afterlife
---With Derek Sherinian---
Keyboard Intro/Lines In The Sand w/Dominici backing vocals for Chorus
Trial of Tears
---With Kevin Moore---
Surrounded
Wait For Sleep
Learning to Live
---With Mike Portnoy---
Ytsejam W/Drum Solo
Take The Time W/ MP only Verse
The Spirit Carries On

~1:45:00

Encore:
A Fortune In Lies (w/Mike Portnoy, Charlie Dominici, Kevin Moore) (Incl. Mangini and Rudess)
Metropolis Pt.1 (Includes Everyone) (Extended)

2nd Final Swan Song:
The Best Of Times (w/Mike Portnoy)

(I realized something and I explain it further down the thread)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:24:33 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2020, 12:11:01 AM »
There is 100% no way I could sign off on the final song (or any song, for that matter) not including Mangini.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2020, 01:10:53 AM »
There is 100% no way I could sign off on the final song (or any song, for that matter) not including Mangini.

I can't sign off on the final song being meaningful, lyrics wise, to only one (ex) band member with said song never been played live before and largely ignored by fans  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2020, 08:09:05 AM »
Also, their final show would HAVE to include Pull Me Under. I’ve actually thought about that type of setlist before. Here’s what I came up with.

Set One

Bridges in the Sky
Room 137
Surrender to Reason
Afterlife (w/Charlie Dominici)
To Live Forever (w/Charlie Dominici)
Panic Attack
Lines in the Sand (w/Derek Sherinian)
As I Am

Set Two

The Glass Prison (w/Mike Portnoy)
Constant Motion (w/Mike Portnoy)
A Life Left Behind
Wither
Another Won (w/Chris Collins)
Caught in a Web
Space-Dye Vest (w/Kevin Moore)
Pull Me Under (w/Kevin Moore)
The Spirit Carries On

Encore

A Change of Seasons (w/all band members past and present)
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2020, 08:11:23 AM »
Yeah, all things considered, I'd say that, if not the whole A Change of Seasons, at least The Crimson Sunset should close their concerts carreer, can't imagine of a better message to go out to.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2020, 09:53:58 AM »

2nd Final Swan Song:
The Best Of Times (w/Mike Portnoy) (no Mangini)

Holy crap, that would be absolutely awful!

I can't sign off on the final song being meaningful, lyrics wise, to only one (ex) band member with said song never been played live before and largely ignored by fans  :D

Agree and agree.

As for the idea of a final set list with everyone participating, it's hard to say since we don't know how many new albums will happen between now and then, but I think for the individual members, I'd go with the following songs:

Collins - Another Won (assuming he's still alive and can sing, etc.)
Dominici - Afterlife and maybe one other from WDADU
Moore - Wait for Sleep/Learning to Live
Sherinian - Trial of Tears
Portnoy - I'll copy what the TheCount wrote: The Glass Prison and/or Constant Motion

Plus the aforementioned ACOS with all ten guys.  Probably do an abridged version that shortens it a bit, and the individual guys' solo spots in The Darkest of Winters would have added spots.  You would literally have half the audience in tears with The Crimson Sunset.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
Ok here we go, a 3-hour final show extravaganza Vlasto Send off to Dream Theater tour Feat/ Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Charlie Dominici, and Kevin Moore...Yes, you heard that right...KEVIN MOORE  :heart :heart  ;D

Set 1 (No Special Guests):
Bridges In The Sky
Room 137
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
Pale Blue Dot
Breaking All Illusions

~45:00

Set 2 (With Guests):
Overture 1928/
Strange Deja-Vu
---With Dominici---
Light Fuse and Get Away (or Status Seeker)
Afterlife
---With Derek Sherinian---
Keyboard Intro/Lines In The Sand w/Dominici backing vocals for Chorus
Trial of Tears
---With Kevin Moore---
Surrounded
Wait For Sleep
Learning to Live
---With Mike Portnoy---
Ytsejam W/Drum Solo
Take The Time W/ MP only Verse
The Spirit Carries On

~1:45:00

Encore:
A Fortune In Lies (w/Mike Portnoy, Charlie Dominici, Kevin Moore) (Incl. Mangini and Rudess)
Metropolis Pt.1 (Includes Everyone) (Extended)

2nd Final Swan Song:
The Best Of Times (w/Mike Portnoy) (no Mangini)

No love for Awake? I can't imagine their final show not including at least 1 song from awake.

That would be a fun setlist though if you take out BOT
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
Those are all great points, but there is a reason why I included The Best of Times.

Even though the lyrics in the verses are specific, they're vague enough to just be interpreted as memories of a time where things were dandelions and rainbows. Lyrics mainly about reflecting upon those good times. In turn, reinterpreting them to be about the death of the band...

Now hear me out...

It begins with piano and acoustic guitar making a sad atmosphere, like a sadness knowing it has to come and end and theirs nothing you can do about it, as if the time has arrived. At 2:50 The Spirit of Radio like band intro section, which represents the love of Rush the band has, is played during these lyrics...

"Remember days of yesterday
How it flew so fast
The two score and a year we had,
I thought it would always last
Those summer days and west coast dreams
I wished would never end
A young boy and his father,
Idol and best friend ------(You could change this to "A young boy and his bandmates, Idols and best friends")

I'll always remember
Those were the best of times
A lifetime together
I'll never forget ------(A great moment for the Audience to sing this, as it is the Fans saying this to the band and vice versa)

The morning shows on the radio
The case of the missing dog
Lying on the pillows at the old 812
Watching Harold and Maude
The record shops, the stickball fields
My home away from home
And when we weren't together
The hours on the phone-----(Could be interpreted as the band on the road in the hotel rooms, and places they've visited.)

I'll always remember
Those were the best of times
I'll cherish them forever
The best of times"

"But then came the call
Our lives changed forever more
"You can pray for a change
But prepare for the end..." ------(Here is where we get to the point in the bands career where MP announced the call to quit the band, forever changing the life of the band, both for the members and the fans)

I just realized listening to it, At 7:04 Mangini could come in playing Drums as Portnoy switches onto vocals for these lyrics

"The fleeting winds of time
Flying through each day
All the things I should've done
But time just slipped away
Remember seize the day
Life goes by in the blink of an eye
With so much left to say

These were the best of times
I'll miss these days
Your spirit lit my life each day

"Thank you for the inspiration
Thank you for the smiles
All the unconditional love
That carried me for miles
It carried me for miles
But most of all thank you for my life" ------ This section He is singing to the audience

Then he hops onto Drums again while he, JLB, JP, and the audience all sing

"These were the best of times
I'll miss these days
Your spirit lit my life each day
My heart is bleeding bad
But I'll be OK
Your spirit guides my life each day"

and we end with an Epic Extended JP guitar solo....with Mangini and MP at the drums...

I would also then take out TSCO and replace it with Metropolis. Pt.1. Have the Encore be ACOS with everyone...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
Ben_Jamin, I’m totally down with your idea...besides The Best of Time. And trust me, having Portnoy sing part of it, doesn’t make me want it to happen!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »
I'd love to see DT do one day what Spock's Beard did for their 20th anniversary compilation (and few shows) where they (well, Neal) wrote an epic song that featured all the current members at the time + almost all the former members. I know there's still some drama with DT and some of the former members (like Kev not wanting anything to do with DT anymore or Derek being still bitter and making everybody know about it), but a man can dream :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2020, 08:57:07 AM »
I’m sure Derek is bitter, but I don’t think he would be against doing a reunion show. He played at the WDADU 15th anniversary concert. He wasn’t even on the album! It still seems strange for him to have been there for that show. Like “sorry Kevin Moore won’t come, here’s...Derek”. Umm, cool?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
Those are all great points, but there is a reason why I included The Best of Times.

Even though the lyrics in the verses are specific, they're vague enough to just be interpreted as memories of a time where things were dandelions and rainbows. Lyrics mainly about reflecting upon those good times. In turn, reinterpreting them to be about the death of the band...

Still no.

First and foremost, this would be a Dream Theater show, not a "thank you for all your years of service, Mike Portnoy, show."  Mike Portnoy is not a member of Dream Theater and, as of the time of this hypothetical show, he will not have been a member for well over a decade.  This would basically say, "it's all about you, MP," which it isn't.  Second, while your attempt to turn MP's tribute to his dead father into an analogy for DT's career is admirable, the song is what it is, and that's how it would be viewed by the overwhelming majority of audiences.  Third, the song just isn't very good.  Fourth, MP singing?!?!  Dear god no.  Why not have him take over each instrument at some point throughout the song?  Again, it's not all about MP.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
I'm going to be selfish so I'll just post the stuff I want to hear from DT if this show ever happens. This should amount to three hours or slightly more with the breaks and the stage banter.

Set 1:

False Awakening Suite (tape)
In the Presence of Enemies, Pt. 1 (9:00)
Voices (ft. Kevin Moore) (9:53)
The Silent Man (acoustic with JLB and JP only) (3:47)
Three Days (3:44)
Chosen (4:32)
Moment of Betrayal (6:11)
Vacant (2:57)
Stream of Consciousness (ft. MP) (11:16)
In the Name of God (ft. MP) (14:14)

Total time: 65:34

Set 2:

Home (12:53)
Hollow Years (5:55) (I guess Derek can play something here if he wishes to)
Panic Attack (7:16)
The Bigger Picture (7:40)
Disappear (6:46)
At Wit's End (9:20)
In the Presence of Enemies, Pt. 2 (16:38)

Total time: 66:28

Encore 1: Pull Me Under (8:13)

Encore 2: Breaking All Illusions (12:25)

Total music length: 2 hours, 32 minutes and 40 seconds, add a 15-minute break between two sets and time for stage banter and the encore break and I believe you could fit this in three hours slot.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 12:40:37 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
I am terrible at set list construction, and don't know how well all that would flow... but that is a solid set Evermind.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
I am terrible at set list construction, and don't know how well all that would flow... but that is a solid set Evermind.

Probably not too well. :lol Imagine the first two songs building up momentum and then it's the acoustic song where most of the band leaves the stage.

I'd love to see something like this though. I did put some thought into it regarding JLB vocals and I think he could pull this one off fairly well though, so there's that too. Voices might sound a little rough, but other than that I think it's good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2020, 01:57:15 PM »
It's a bit "ballad" heavy for what they typically do, with 5 ballady songs in the set.  But despite that and 2 bottom 10 songs in the set, overall, I like it nonetheless.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind that set at all...

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2020, 04:27:10 AM »
I virtually always skip the continuum/steel guitar intro.  It's terribly boring (and even worse live when it gets extended).  If I'm pressed for time, I'll skip all the way to the synth solo at 12:16.

Same here. I've long found the first half of Octavarium a bit boring and so I don't mind skipping large chunks of it whenever I listen to the album. It's really only at that synth-led section that it finally gets going for real. Although I still think that if they're gonna play it live, it should be the full song for sure.

Also, some of you guys are really terrible at constructing setlists.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:26:39 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »
Also, some of you guys are really terrible at constructing setlists.  :lol
I think so too every time we have a setlist thread  but I never dared to say it :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
Well, now that we're in the middle of a global pandemic, its possible the next album will be released before they can get back out on the road.  That would considerably change future setlists from what we think they might possibly be without the new album in the mix.  There are still a lot of unknowns at this point.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
Well, now that we're in the middle of a global pandemic, its possible the next album will be released before they can get back out on the road.  That would considerably change future setlists from what we think they might possibly be without the new album in the mix.  There are still a lot of unknowns at this point.

I think there's a small chance for a brief tour earlier next year if everything is back to some sort of "normal", but the most logical step for them would be to make a new album first.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:12 PM »
Yea no point in continuing the tour for DOT IMO, might as well take the time now to make some new music for release in 2021 and go out on tour once its safe too to support it.  In the meantime release the DOT/SFAM concert from London to keep the customers happy. 

I really am not a fan, for example, how Iron Maiden just pushed back their tour to next year which was already a multiyear tour.  Just move on at this point. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:55 AM »
Agreed.  Release the live in London material and work on the new album which I'm sure they're already doing.  I hope they really take their time in making the new record.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DTA

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »
I can't imagine the sheer amount of bands trying to tour at the same time once concerts are allowed again. It's going to be mayhem and bands are going to suffer yet again because every night will have a concert and affording them all will be impossible.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2020, 10:39:17 AM »
Agreed.  Release the live in London material and work on the new album which I'm sure they're already doing.  I hope they really take their time in making the new record.  :tup

Well, there's plenty of time so really no excuses to not take their time

I can't imagine the sheer amount of bands trying to tour at the same time once concerts are allowed again. It's going to be mayhem and bands are going to suffer yet again because every night will have a concert and affording them all will be impossible.

Yea, I think there may be some logistic nightmares once things open back up because of this issue.  I kind of feel like thats why bands are announcing dates in 2021 already, so they can lock in those tours before anyone else even though there's no real proof that tours can even happen in 2021 yet.  Also, pricing might be insane to make up for lost revenue.  I really hope that's not the case, but I'm kind of expecting it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »

It's gonna be a clash of rescheduled concerts and bands that would naturally be touring in 2021, for example bands recording this year.

On the other hand, if you have the money and the stamina to go to work in the morning, concerts galore six days per week  :metal smart working directly from the venue  :metal :biggrin: :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:20 PM »
Yea, I think there may be some logistic nightmares once things open back up because of this issue.  I kind of feel like thats why bands are announcing dates in 2021 already, so they can lock in those tours before anyone else even though there's no real proof that tours can even happen in 2021 yet.  Also, pricing might be insane to make up for lost revenue.  I really hope that's not the case, but I'm kind of expecting it.
In addition to that, I am also worried that the pandemic will have such an impact on people's income that there will be less audience that can afford concert tickets. Even if touring does start next year, it will take time to get things to where they used to be.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
This is going to begin the era of streaming live concerts. People aren't going to be able to afford them all, but they might pay $9.99 to get access to a concert in real time and for the next week or so.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »

Well, there's plenty of time so really no excuses to not take their time

Exactly!  :2metal:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »
This is going to begin the era of streaming live concerts. People aren't going to be able to afford them all, but they might pay $9.99 to get access to a concert in real time and for the next week or so.

I cannot imagine spending $0.09 on a streaming concert. But if there is a market for it and bands can take advantage and help support themselves, I am all for it. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2020, 06:31:35 AM »

I cannot imagine spending $0.09 on a streaming concert. But if there is a market for it and bands can take advantage and help support themselves, I am all for it.

This is interesting, and I was thinking about this yesterday, so I'm not directing this at you Chris. Personally, I kind of feel the same way.

BUT... We'll pay almost $100 to GO to the concert, yet won't pay $9.99 to simply watch it on a screen.

I'd pay twice as much is there was a way to actually download it and keep the concert somehow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »

This is interesting, and I was thinking about this yesterday, so I'm not directing this at you Chris. Personally, I kind of feel the same way.

BUT... We'll pay almost $100 to GO to the concert, yet won't pay $9.99 to simply watch it on a screen.

I'd pay twice as much is there was a way to actually download it and keep the concert somehow.

Bingo. I would only pay for a concert stream/video if I could download it and watch it at my convenience. I guess that’s the line I draw.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
As I am listening to my itunes on shuffle, False Awakening Suite begins to be played. Expecting a newer heavy song next, it decides to play a DT song, and what does it play...WITHER. 

I laughed hard as I thought, Damn Itunes is trolling me hard, Imagine DT opening a set like that.