Author Topic: Future Tour Setlist...  (Read 45385 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Future Tour Setlist...
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:37 AM »
*Segways from Root of All Evil piano outro into JM bass riff from Octavarium Part II Medicate (Awakening), which are musical codas to each other.  This segue allows for JP to switch guitars from E flat to standard tuning.  The abridgement also saves 10 minutes in the setlist.

Oh no. Don't you dare castrate that gigantic masterpiece  :omg: Please delete this immediately before JP sees it and thinks about it...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
*Segways from Root of All Evil piano outro into JM bass riff from Octavarium Part II Medicate (Awakening), which are musical codas to each other.  This segue allows for JP to switch guitars from E flat to standard tuning.  The abridgement also saves 10 minutes in the setlist.

Oh no. Don't you dare castrate that gigantic masterpiece  :omg: Please delete this immediately before JP sees it and thinks about it...
I can live with Octa never being played ever again to be honest, but to each their own. Odd idea for a setlist IMHO, but again, to each their own.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »
I mentioned before the last tour, that I'd love for them to rotate 'The Razor's Edge' as the end of the concert proper and the last encore.

Better to have five minutes of this epic track, than none at all.  And it's such the perfect closer.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »
Here is my potential setlist for the next tour (likely to be edited when DT15 is out)

DT15 piece #1
TOWHTSTS or The Killing Hand
DT15 piece #2
Innocence Faded
This Dying Soul
DT15 piece #3
OTBOA
Outcry
BAI
(intermission)
The Enemy Inside
Surrender To Reason
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
PBD

Encore:

DT15 long piece (given that there will be one) or Illu

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »

I usually fast forward past the Someone Like Him section and I suspect I'm not the only one.    :P

In any event, the point of the second set was to play the motif where the first song opens with the ending of the prior album, in case it wasn't obvious.  I think it would be interesting to see it played out in sequence in a live setting.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:26 AM »
I just skip over the stupid 5 minute intro.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »
I usually fast forward past the Someone Like Him section and I suspect I'm not the only one.    :P

I just skip over the stupid 5 minute intro.

I virtually always skip the continuum/steel guitar intro.  It's terribly boring (and even worse live when it gets extended).  If I'm pressed for time, I'll skip all the way to the synth solo at 12:16.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
I don't think I've ever skipped the intro.  Nor would it occur to me to do so.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2020, 09:57:43 AM »
The intro for Octavarium and by extension the whole first movement is exactly as long as it should be (at least for the studio version).
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
I admit that I tend to skip over the Octavarium intro sometimes, but that says absolutely nothing against it. I love the intro, but I also love everything else about Octavarium so I skip to about 3 minutes in so that I can still hear the intro but get to the really really good stuff faster.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »
All this 8vm talk, they need to play it this next tour. The venues would erupt at the beginning chords. While the intro is being played, Me and My friend would likely still be amazed they're playing it to notice how long the intro is. 😄
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
I am hoping to see Ocatavaruim one day. And all of it. Kind of a bucket-list thing - but I don't do those.  :smiley:  The extended live version of the intro is a great performance by Jordan!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:22 AM »
Here is my potential setlist for the next tour (likely to be edited when DT15 is out)

DT15 piece #1
DT15 piece #2
Innocence Faded
This Dying Soul
DT15 piece #3
OTBOA
Outcry
BAI
(intermission)
The Enemy Inside
Surrender To Reason
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
PBD

Encore:

The second set is looking pretty short - you forget to insert a couple of album #15 songs within there? And while I'd love to see TOWHtStS, there's no way in hell it will ever be performed with the current lineup, and TKH only has a slightly better chance, not even considering how challenging it might be vocally. I'd also scratch IF off the list - no way that JL would be able to pull that one off regularly without them having to heavily alter the vocal melodies, nevermind how obscure it is.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »
For fun, and if we’re including new album tracks:

DT15 album opener
Fall Into the Light
The Looking Glass
This is the Life
DT15 song 2
DT15 song 3
Enigma Machine
Outcry
S2N

-intermission-
Bridges in the Sky
DT15 song 4
The Gift of Music
Ravenskill
Moment of Betrayal
DT15 song 5
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Pale Blue Dot

-encore-
Barstool Warrior
Viper King
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2020, 07:47:05 AM »

DT15 album opener
Fall Into the Light
The Looking Glass
This is the Life
DT15 song 2
DT15 song 3
Enigma Machine
Outcry
S2N

-intermission-
Bridges in the Sky
DT15 song 4
The Gift of Music
Ravenskill
Moment of Betrayal
DT15 song 5
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Pale Blue Dot

-encore-
Barstool Warrior
Viper King
I wouldn't go see them if they played this setlist.  ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »
Dude, DT15 song 4 alone is worth the price of the ticket, I wouldn't miss on that if I were you.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »

DT15 piece #1
DT15 piece #2
Innocence Faded
This Dying Soul
DT15 piece #3
OTBOA
Outcry
BAI
(intermission)
The Enemy Inside
Surrender To Reason
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
PBD

Encore:

The second set is looking pretty short - you forget to insert a couple of album #15 songs within there? And while I'd love to see TOWHtStS, there's no way in hell it will ever be performed with the current lineup, and TKH only has a slightly better chance, not even considering how challenging it might be vocally. I'd also scratch IF off the list - no way that JL would be able to pull that one off regularly without them having to heavily alter the vocal melodies, nevermind how obscure it is.
you're right, on second thought, Set 2 is short. Might have to edit in 2 pieces from DT15. All these pieces would be ones I'd think would be interesting for this line up to play (TDS in particular), plus adding in Surrender (because it's the only DT12 piece not performed yet, and I like it too, actually) and the selections from TA were my personal favourites as well. (as are TOWHTHSTS and TKH)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »

DT15 album opener
Fall Into the Light
The Looking Glass
This is the Life
DT15 song 2
DT15 song 3
Enigma Machine
Outcry
S2N

-intermission-
Bridges in the Sky
DT15 song 4
The Gift of Music
Ravenskill
Moment of Betrayal
DT15 song 5
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Pale Blue Dot

-encore-
Barstool Warrior
Viper King

I don't know that I'd go that far, but is this the DT15 tour set list or a setlist from the ADTOE tour?  I can't conceive that they would go so heavy on the ADTOE songs.  And both FFH AND TITL.  Bleh....

And why play FITL, BW and PBD when those songs were played on most/all shows of the DOT tour?

While I like most of the songs on this list, the only thing that really excites me is S2N and VK (of course, it's impossible to consider what the DT15 songs will add to the mix).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »
Here's my Mangini only set-list.

(DT #15 Song 1)
Room 137
This Is The Life
(DT #15 Song)
Behind The Veil
Ravenskill
S2N
(DT #15 Song)
Chosen
At Wit's End

~Intermisson~

Dystopian Overture/ (Or DT #15 Song)
The Gift of Music
Barstool Warrior
(DT #15 Song)
On The Backs of Angels
Surrender to Reason
Bridges In The Sky
Out of Reach
(DT #15 Song)
Illumination Theory

~Encore~
(DT #15 song)
Breaking All Illusions

That should come out to a good 2:30 or more set.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:08:09 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »
Dude, DT15 song 4 alone is worth the price of the ticket, I wouldn't miss on that if I were you.

No doubt it surely is. :metal :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2020, 07:07:02 PM »
No doubt it surely is. :metal :lol
You guys are SOOOOO wrong! DT15 song 4 is just kinda meh. DT15 song 6 is where it's at! Best song on the album!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:26 PM »
Yeah, a MM-only setlist is gonna be a hard pass from me.

Start with the hits of DoT then move backwards in time, and finish it off with an abbreviated Six Degrees and Count of Tuscany. I think it’s a nicely rounded setlist- all the eras represented, and not brutal on LaBrie, physically.

Paralyzed (good heavy opener, DT likes heavy openers)
Barstool Warrior
Moment of Betrayal (good standalone song)
Surrender to Reason
This is the Life (deep cut for the trve fans)
Panic Attack (something for the casual fan who is starting to second guess his ticket purchase)
In the Name of God (keep the heaviness going)

Intermission:

Glass Prison (We’ve waited long enough)
Blind Faith
About to Crash (Reprise) — which transitions PERFECTLY to —
Lines in the Sand (show those Sons of Apollo dudes how it’s done)
Erotomania with some YYZ sprinkled in (give LaBrie a break and pay tribute to their hero)
Another Day (tuned down laid back acoustic version- thank the fans- tell them DT will be back another day- get it??)

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany (EPIC closer!)

BOOM done... I should get paid for this.

I actually really like the idea of Another Day as a laid-back acoustic version, kind of like the piano version of Wither. It could make it a lot easier on the voice for JLB. I don't like it as a set closer though. I think I would do something like this.

Set 1:
The Glass Prison
Room 137
This Is the Life
The Looking Glass
Erotomania
Voices
Hollow Years ('09 version with demo pre-chorus and epic solo)
The Killing Hand

1h:02m

Set 2:
As I Am
Surrender to Reason (listen to the transition between the studio versions... trust me)
Moment of Betrayal
Misunderstood
Viper King
Another Day (acoustic)
S2N
Out of Reach
Solitary Shell
Breaking All Illusions

1h:07m

Encore:
Octavarium

24m

TOTAL: 2h33m plus 15 min intermission. A little shorter than an Evening With but I would be fine with that if it meant it allows JLB to take care of his voice more.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
I think people took my Another Day acoustic as a “set closer” too literally. I’d just have them launch right into Count of Tuscany (with Petrucci still on the Piezo which works as a transition).

Lol I Still stand by my setlist and I’d keep Octavarium in my back pocket for the 40th anniversary tour and 20th anniversary of the song in 2025.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2020, 11:15:15 PM »

DT15 album opener
Fall Into the Light
The Looking Glass
This is the Life
DT15 song 2
DT15 song 3
Enigma Machine
Outcry
S2N

-intermission-
Bridges in the Sky
DT15 song 4
The Gift of Music
Ravenskill
Moment of Betrayal
DT15 song 5
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Pale Blue Dot

-encore-
Barstool Warrior
Viper King
I would!  I think Viper King would be a good final encore..   :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »

DT15 album opener
Fall Into the Light
The Looking Glass
This is the Life
DT15 song 2
DT15 song 3
Enigma Machine
Outcry
S2N

-intermission-
Bridges in the Sky
DT15 song 4
The Gift of Music
Ravenskill
Moment of Betrayal
DT15 song 5
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Pale Blue Dot

-encore-
Barstool Warrior
Viper King
I would!  I think Viper King would be a good final encore..   :hat

After the encore and "the bow" they go back to their instruments and play VK with full house lights.  They end the song by slowing walking off stage while still playing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 10:45:17 AM »

Yeah, Someone Like Him is one of the best parts of the song. Actual authentic emotion instead of “Sailing on the seven seas . . .” nonsense.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »

Yeah, Someone Like Him is one of the best parts of the song. Actual authentic emotion instead of “Sailing on the seven seas . . .” nonsense.

Although one person did mention skipping the Someone Like Him section, I think Bosk was specifically responding to my comment about skipping the intro.  In that context, "the intro" refers only to the part that Jordan plays on the Continuum and steel guitar.  It runs from the beginning of the track until about the 3:48-3:49 mark where the full band comes in.  That is the part that I (almost) always skip through (although I did mention that, if I don't have time to listen to the full song, I will sometimes skip all the way to the start of the synth solo at the 12:16 mark (which I think is still part of Medicate)).

Offline RentalCut

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
First post here. Pretty much made this account to post in this thread.

It's highly likely they'll have a new album by the time they start an entirely new tour but bare with me here. Tried to make this as "realistic" as possible based on their last couple tours. Each Act clocks in at about 1 hour 10 minutes. Quick note: I'm purposely not including anything from Scenes From a Memory here, because it is consistent with them not playing any Images & Words songs last tour after playing the album in its entirety the tour before.

2021 "At Covid's End" Tour.

Act I:
On the Backs of Angels (2021 is the 10th anniversary of ADToF so they're bound to play a few tracks from it).
The Root of All Evil (fan favorite that they haven't played in a while, haven't played an Octovarium song (that isn't Panic Attack) in quite a while)
Surrender to Reason (only song from DT12 that hasn't been performed live)
Paralyzed
Room 137 (DoT live debut)
Endless Sacrifice (another fan favorite they haven't played in a bit, haven't played a ToT song (that isn't As I Am) in quite a while)
Wither (BC&SL exposure, a bit of a breather for the band)
Bridges in the Sky (ADToF 10th anniversary, fan favorite of the Mangini era. Could easily be subbed out for Outcry or Lost Not Forgotten which haven't been played since the ADToE cycle)
At Wit's End (great set closer + I named the tour after it lol)

Act II:
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (the entire song) (Orchestra only tape-intro of course) (Act II of their past couple tours have tended to honor one of their older classics in someway. This is close enough to the SDOIT 20th anniversary + they haven't played a ton of it since Mangini joined.)
Erotomania (One of the few Awake songs that haven't been played during the Mangini era, also a nice transition away from SDOIT + Labrie gets a break).
S2N (Another DoT live debut)
New Millenium (Some more 90s exposure in a set with only 25ish minutes of 90s material. Also a song they haven't toured in a veryyy long time from an album they rarely play anything from anymore).
The Glass Prison (It finally returns to end Act II, also wanted to include a side one song from SDOIT since they rarely play anything from it anymore).

Encore:
Learning to Live (Images & Words song that isn't Pull Me Under or Metropolis)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:32:03 PM by RentalCut »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
2021 "At Covid's End" Tour.

Great first post! Welcome!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »
...it is consistent with them not playing any Images & Words songs last tour after playing the album in its entirety the tour before.

2021 "At Covid's End" Tour...

Great post, But I want to point out that they DID play Pull Me Under on the first US leg of the tour.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Trav86

« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2020, 07:25:02 AM »
I made this the other day for fun...

The Gift of Music
About to Crash
Lines in the Sand
S2N
Wither
On The Backs of Angels
At Wit’s End
————————-
The Glass Prison
Surrender to Reason
I Walk Beside You
Erotomania
Voices
Octavarium
————————-
Wait For Sleep
Learning to Live
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2020, 09:40:53 AM »
I'm purposely not including anything from Scenes From a Memory here, because it is consistent with them not playing any Images & Words songs last tour after playing the album in its entirety the tour before.

PMU was the encore on the first U.S. leg of the DOT tour.

Wither (BC&SL exposure, a bit of a breather for the band)

YES, PLEASE!!!

New Millenium (Some more 90s exposure in a set with only 25ish minutes of 90s material. Also a song they haven't toured in a veryyy long time from an album they rarely play anything from anymore).

In the immortal words of Chadwick Boseman, "Aw, hell naw, Karen!  Keep your bland-ass potato salad to yourself!"  If Repentance didn't exist, NM would be a strong contender for worst song DT ever did.

Also, Peruvian Skies was played on both the DOT and ADTOE tours (although not in the U.S.), Burning My Soul on the 30th anniversary tour, Hell's Kitchen on I&W&B, and Trial of Tears on the DT12 tour, so I can't get completely behind the notion that they "rarely play anything from [FII] anymore."

The Gift of Music
About to Crash
Lines in the Sand
S2N
Wither
On The Backs of Angels
At Wit’s End
————————-
The Glass Prison
Surrender to Reason
I Walk Beside You
Erotomania
Voices
Octavarium
————————-
Wait For Sleep
Learning to Live

Aside from the fact that there are no songs from the next album, I'd be totally down with that.  The only dud is IWBY (and I'm not a fan of LITS), but seeing ATC again, Wither for the first time, and Octavarium for the first time since the tour for that album would be epic.

That said, the end of this setlist would be hell for JLB.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »
Yeah, I was just doing it as an interesting setlist, not necessarily a tour for a new album. And IWBY seems like something they would pull out.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »

The Gift of Music
About to Crash
Lines in the Sand
S2N
Wither
On The Backs of Angels
At Wit’s End
————————-
The Glass Prison
Surrender to Reason
I Walk Beside You
Erotomania
Voices
Octavarium
————————-
Wait For Sleep
Learning to Live

I think my voice would be gone by the end of this set. Great set.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2020, 10:17:09 PM »
I know no one wants to think about the day. But I figured why not imagine a 3 hour final show setlist. All the previous band members are invited and have accepted the invitation. What songs would you choose?

I'll update this page with mine when I'm done. I just wanted to throw this out there while it's still fresh in my mind.