Author Topic: Future Tour Setlist...  (Read 45859 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Future Tour Setlist...
« on: February 20, 2020, 05:32:43 PM »
Having almost completing the DoT/SFAM 20th tour, it's time the band get back to having an open setlist.

List of songs not played with Mangini: (as of 1/14/2023)

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
Light Fuse and Get Away
Only a Matter of Time

Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee

The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
Disappear
Overture
Goodnight Kiss

This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God

The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Repentance
Prophets of War
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 2

A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times

Surrender to Reason

Room 137
S2N
Out of Reach
*Viper King*

I feel they have enough MM material to do an all MM set, but doubt they would do it. If they did do a majority MM set, and sprinkled a few Pre-MM songs he has yet to play, what would you choose?

My top 5 would be:
Stream of Consciousness
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Octavarium
Blind Faith
Voices

If you feel like making a faux setlist, go for it.

Edit: I'll be updating this list as time goes on and we get more of these songs being played. I will also cross off my top 5 songs when/if they get played again.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:49:48 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTA

Re: Future Tour Setlist...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:39:33 PM »
I'd like to hear some DT songs I've never seen live before either with MP or MM, so:

Light Fuse And Getaway
You Not Me
Speak To Me
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
Disappear

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:25:18 PM »
I just hope we finally get Surrender to Reason.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »

My top 5 would be:
Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium
Blind Faith
Voices

If you feel like making a faux setlist, go for it.

Hell no to TMOLS, and Voices doesn't seem too likely.  The other three are among my very favorites, so I'd be completely on board.

I'd love to see The Killing Hand again (I saw it back in 92-94), but it's not very likely without some vocal line modifications.  I'd love Hollow Years and Misunderstood as well.  Same with Wither (which I think has only ever been done in two U.S. shows).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 11:29:30 PM »
Ministry of Lost Souls would be killer, I would love to see that one, and that wouldn't stretch James at all.

No more WDaDU songs, and no more I&W songs for that matter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 01:06:49 AM »
I feel they have enough MM material to do an all MM set, but doubt they would do it. If they did do a majority MM set, and sprinkled a few Pre-MM songs he has yet to play, what would you choose?

It would be a ballsy move, and I even suggested it in a thread before d/t came out. I would appreciate the confidence in doing it.

They could have the usual 5-6 new songs, Bridges in the Sky and a return of Breaking all Illusions, Surrender to Reason and another self titled songs, one or two Astonishing songs and then at the very least S2N and then a couple more off the latest. With the encore they could go wild with classics, and speaking of those, it's about time that they play The Glass Prison.

Heck, if they insist on the celebration angle, the encore could be a giant celebration of Six Degrees, with parts of the title song and ending it all up with Losing Time / Grand finale.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 01:53:18 AM »
I would love a set list with MM era songs only, and close the show with Viper King.  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline krands85

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 05:41:42 AM »
Octavarium, In the Name of God and The Glass Prison are all long, long overdue. I think ITNOG is the most recently played of those three and even that was a decade ago.

I'd also love to see Endless Sacrifice, Sacrificed Sons, The Ministry of Lost Souls and Lines in the Sand.

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 05:43:04 AM »
I would love a set list with MM era songs only, and close the show with Viper King.  :metal

Interesting. I wonder what that setlist would look like?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
Wishlist:

- Viper King
- Beneath the Surface
- Bridges in the Sky
- Another Won
- Behind the Veil
- Honor Thy Father (with MM doing something nuts right before the breakdown)
- Burning My Soul
- New Millenium
- Along for the Ride
- S2N

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
Octavarium, In the Name of God and The Glass Prison are all long, long overdue. I think ITNOG is the most recently played of those three and even that was a decade ago.

I'd also love to see Endless Sacrifice, Sacrificed Sons, The Ministry of Lost Souls and Lines in the Sand.

How could I forget ITNOG... :facepalm:

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »
The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Octavarium

are my top choices for Non MM tracks...

but I want TA songs back in the set and S2N to be played for the first time.

Also want to keep At Wits End in the set since I missed it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 10:14:46 AM »
Personally I'd like to see a tour with just MM era songs. There are plenty of killer songs that they've created with MM and composing a three hour set with just 'his' era songs would be pretty neat.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
I get why fans would think that was cool.  And there absolutely is enough MM-era material to do that.  But from the band's perspective, I don't see that there is any reason to do that.  I think they will always try to find a mix of newer and "classic" material in their sets, unless a specific tour's direction necessitates something different (e.g., the TA tour). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »
I think they need to keep pre-MM songs on stage. A lot of people that go out to see DT are the 'classics' types and might not venture out if they aren't getting anything more than a decade old.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »
I get that, but a lot of the "classics" that have shown up tour after tour have been selections from Image & Words, Awake, and Scenes From A Memory, all of which have been celebrated (in one way or the other) on recent tours, and can be safely avoided for the near future.

Therefore, I think they could totally get away with a tour of at least MOSTLY MM-era songs.  Maybe sprinkle in one or two tunes from Train of Thought, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, or maybe Falling Into Infinity and call it a day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
I'd love for them to keep my favourite piece from D/T: PBD
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
Guys there's no chance for the band to even think about making set lists based on any kind of 'eras' or even overplayed music...there will always be a position for the so called classics and some new material..the real problem having a catalog so vast and with songs that are long is that you have to play them in a fashion that they rotate every so often..MP knew what he was doing and I'm not talking about doing again the same thing..I get it for many reasons..but they should drop the format of having a set list for an entire tour..If they chose to play lets say these 2 London shows with a new set list every night why not change Fall into the Light and Paralyzed with S2N and a 'classic' or maybe drop Pale Blue Dot as the closing epic with In the Name of God..out of the 7 songs they would have managed to fit promoting the album and playing old amazing songs..but also emphasizing different aspects of their music..making it interesting again so more people will actually get excited again..Anyway here's a list of songs I'd like to see them do again:

.Blind Faith
.In the Name of God
.Scarred
.The Ministry of Lost Souls
.Trial of Tears
.The Glass Prison
.Stream of Consciousness
.Lines in the Sand
.This the Life
.Breaking all Illusions

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
but they should drop the format of having a set list for an entire tour..If they chose to play lets say these 2 London shows with a new set list every night why not change Fall into the Light and Paralyzed with S2N and a 'classic' or maybe drop Pale Blue Dot as the closing epic with In the Name of God..out of the 7 songs they would have managed to fit promoting the album and playing old amazing songs..but also emphasizing different aspects of their music..making it interesting again so more people will actually get excited again

I get what you are saying.  And I agree.  But here's the problem:  Some (not all) of the band members STRONGLY prefer having everything being consistent from night to night so that the lighting, video, etc. is all synced up, and they don't have to rehearse extra songs, and all that.  So that being the case, I don't think a change is likely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
I don't know what the touring market is like these days. I'm guessing not good, since most of my favourite bands seem to be doing the 'album anniversary' thing. But speaking only for myself I'd love for the band to go back to a setlist that has nothing to do with honouring any particular album. I'd kill for a setlist of nothing but Mangini era songs (obviously I get why that may not be viable from a marketing viewpoint). I stalked the band all over Eastern Europe on their DT12 tour because I was so in love with the setlist (meet and greets at every show no less, I'm surprised JP didn't take out a restraining order by the time we got to Lithuania). I'd do the same if they did something like this:

On The Backs of Angels
Fall Into The Light
Bridges In The Sky
The Enemy Inside
Room 137
The Looking Glass
The Gift of Music
A Life Left Behind
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
Behind The Veil (such a brilliant, brilliant song)
Outcry (swap out with Surrender to Reason sometimes, because I know a lot of people aren't keen on this one)
S2N
Pale Blue Dot
Breaking All Illusions

Encore

At Wit's End
Illumination Theory

That comes to just shy of 2 and a half hours, and in my opinion it's an incredible set of music.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:59:03 AM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 07:04:51 PM »
On The Backs of Angels
Fall Into The Light
Bridges In The Sky
The Enemy Inside
Room 137
The Looking Glass
The Gift of Music
A Life Left Behind
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
Behind The Veil (such a brilliant, brilliant song)
Outcry (swap out with Surrender to Reason sometimes, because I know a lot of people aren't keen on this one)
S2N
Pale Blue Dot
Breaking All Illusions

Encore

At Wit's End
Illumination Theory

Gad!
That is a fantastic set-list! I just need Octavarium somewhere..

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 10:31:30 AM »

My top 5 would be:
Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium
Blind Faith
Voices

My top five of songs I hope they play on the next tour:

Octavarium
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Volante99

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 11:30:43 PM »
Yeah, a MM-only setlist is gonna be a hard pass from me.

Start with the hits of DoT then move backwards in time, and finish it off with an abbreviated Six Degrees and Count of Tuscany. I think it’s a nicely rounded setlist- all the eras represented, and not brutal on LaBrie, physically.

Paralyzed (good heavy opener, DT likes heavy openers)
Barstool Warrior
Moment of Betrayal (good standalone song)
Surrender to Reason
This is the Life (deep cut for the trve fans)
Panic Attack (something for the casual fan who is starting to second guess his ticket purchase)
In the Name of God (keep the heaviness going)

Intermission:

Glass Prison (We’ve waited long enough)
Blind Faith
About to Crash (Reprise) — which transitions PERFECTLY to —
Lines in the Sand (show those Sons of Apollo dudes how it’s done)
Erotomania with some YYZ sprinkled in (give LaBrie a break and pay tribute to their hero)
Another Day (tuned down laid back acoustic version- thank the fans- tell them DT will be back another day- get it??)

Encore:
The Count of Tuscany (EPIC closer!)

BOOM done... I should get paid for this.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:53:40 AM by Volante99 »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2020, 02:26:19 AM »
Not bad idea overall, but Paralyzed as opener and Another Day as "final" song are kinda meh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2020, 02:52:06 AM »

Start with the hits of DoT then move backwards in time, and finish it off with an abbreviated Six Degrees and Count of Tuscany. I think it’s a nicely rounded setlist- all the eras represented, and not brutal on LaBrie, physically.

Barstool Warrior
Surrender to Reason
Panic Attack (something for the casual fan who is starting to second guess his ticket purchase)

Intermission:

Blind Faith
Erotomania with some YYZ sprinkled in (give LaBrie a break and pay tribute to their hero)
Another Day (tuned down laid back acoustic version- thank the fans- tell them DT will be back another day- get it??)

Encore:

Some very cool thoughts, although I agree that an acoustic Another Day is a little too quiet to be the last song before the encore. But in general, I love the idea of an acoustic set, since I think this is where LaBrie can really shine: remember Wait For Sleep during the last tour? He was brilliant there! And Another Day would work very well in that setting I think.

Some things I personally would change:
- Paralyzed: I just don't like that song that much. Would be the worst concert opener for me  :lol I would interchange it for Pale Blue Dot  :metal
- The Count Of Tuscany: I would love to see this song live, but I would love to see Octavarium even more.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
Don't quit your day job just yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »
Don't quit your day job just yet.
There's a reason why his name ain't "Setlist Volante99"    :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »

Barstool Warrior
Surrender to Reason

Intermission:

Blind Faith

Encore:

Some very cool thoughts, although I agree that an acoustic Another Day is a little too quiet to be the last song before the encore. But in general, I love the idea of an acoustic set, since I think this is where LaBrie can really shine: remember Wait For Sleep during the last tour? He was brilliant there! And Another Day would work very well in that setting I think.

Some things I personally would change:
- Paralyzed: I just don't like that song that much. Would be the worst concert opener for me  :lol I would interchange it for Pale Blue Dot  :metal
- The Count Of Tuscany: I would love to see this song live, but I would love to see Octavarium even more.

Pale Blue Dot isn’t a good opener. Too long. Too meandering. You want something rocking, guttural, and to the point. I don’t really like Paralyzed either but since they are still going to be promoting the album the ONLY songs that make sense here are Untethered Angel or Paralyzed. They’ve already opened with Untethered Angel.

Octavarium is good but you save that for 2025 for the 20th Anniversary of the album and 40th of the band. Duh.

Yes I’ve thought about this way too much.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
PBD being too long? I've seen DT open with Met1 and The Glass Prison (both are longer than PBD)

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:35 PM »
No matter what they do, someone won't be happy.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
PBD being too long? I've seen DT open with Met1 and The Glass Prison (both are longer than PBD)

Obviously there’s some exceptions. You’re comparing The Glass Prison, the song with probably the greatest build up/intro of any Dream Theater song ever to PBD. Honestly, the Glass Prison works anywhere in a set.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2020, 02:16:39 PM »
No matter what they do, someone won't be happy.

Aint that the truth

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
I would like to see S2N open. The lights all dark, then just the spotlight on JM as he plays that opening riff.  :metal

Offline Volante99

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2020, 02:50:25 PM »
I would like to see S2N open. The lights all dark, then just the spotlight on JM as he plays that opening riff.  :metal

That actually might just work. Not opposed to this.