Author Topic: Future Tour Setlist...  (Read 45875 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Future Tour Setlist...
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2021, 08:02:08 PM »
I need The Killing Hand.
Oddly enough, I have been lucky enough to see that played (at the infamous Master of Puppets shows in Chicago in '02), yet in nine DT shows since 1994, I have still never seen Learning to Live.  :censored :censored
Shame you didn't go to both of the Chicago shows, given the distance you drove. They played it the first night in Chicago.

Light Fuse and Get Away is still the best song from the debut.  :biggrin:
Fully agree! Wish that one would be brought back again, but it was a rarity even with MP in the band (only played 4 times since JL joined), so you know there's no way in hell that JP will add it to the setlist.

They played that in Boston on the 6 D's tour, but I didn't see that tour. :(
You picked the best two tours to skip over (I realize you probably didn't have a choice). Given how much I love LFaGA, I'm so happy I got to see both times they played it on the ToT tour.   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #316 on: December 09, 2021, 08:04:40 PM »
I need The Killing Hand.
Oddly enough, I have been lucky enough to see that played (at the infamous Master of Puppets shows in Chicago in '02), yet in nine DT shows since 1994, I have still never seen Learning to Live.  :censored :censored
Shame you didn't go to both of the Chicago shows, given the distance you drove. They played it the first night in Chicago.

I am aware.  Five of us drove up for it, and sadly with everything going at the time, going up for two nights and both shows simply wasn't realistic, so we picked just the Saturday night show.  It is what it is.   :tup :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #317 on: December 12, 2021, 02:51:54 PM »
Jordan keeps posting videos of him practicing TCOT, so I'm starting to think they're really going to play it for this tour, but it still feels unlikely given that they have the new epic and a shorter set time. We'll see what happens next.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #318 on: December 12, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »
Jordan keeps posting videos of him practicing TCOT, so I'm starting to think they're really going to play it for this tour, but it still feels unlikely given that they have the new epic and a shorter set time. We'll see what happens next.
well, keep in mind that A View may close the main set and Count may be the encore. Works out innit.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #319 on: December 12, 2021, 03:01:38 PM »
well, keep in mind that A View may close the main set and Count may be the encore. Works out innit.

Yeah, that'd work quite well, actually :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #320 on: December 12, 2021, 06:49:19 PM »
Quote from JP I just read.

"And we're gonna play a bunch of material from the new album, obviously. We do have a new stage set that's in development that we're trying to make an all-encompassing view from the top of the world. So, we'll see. We're working on that. And we'll play some songs that we haven't played in a long time; we always like to do that as well."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #321 on: December 12, 2021, 06:54:20 PM »
Sounds like the return of You Not Me is coming.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #322 on: December 12, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
How long do you think the guys will play for? 1:30:00, 1:45:00, or push it to 1:55:00.

I would hope for at least a 1:45:00 set time. It'd be awesome if we got 1:55:00, 1:50:00 sounds more reasonable though.

Edit: And how many new songs? I hope what JP means by a bunch is 5-6 new songs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:02:46 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NoFred

« Reply #323 on: December 12, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »
Only “please must play” for me is AWE, since I last saw them on first leg of D/T tour when it wasn’t played. Otherwise hoping that (but know it’s unlikely) the set list of new material includes TA ATC IM SG, then AVFTTOTW if time allows. But I’d take any of the first 4 over the epic.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2021, 10:03:42 AM »

”…And we'll play some songs that we haven't played in a long time; we always like to do that as well."

Octavarium please.

There’s actually a ton of songs that they haven’t played in a long time/ever. Here’s a list of every album song that Dream Theater haven’t played with Mike Mangini or ever, not counting AVFtTotW.

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
Light Fuse and Get Away
Only a Matter of Time

Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee

The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
Disappear
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God

The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Repentance
Prophets of War
The Ministry of Lost Souls
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 2

A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times

Surrender to Reason

Room 137
S2N
Out of Reach
*Viper King*

That’s a lot of incredible music that hasn’t been touched in over a decade, if ever.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kram

« Reply #325 on: December 13, 2021, 11:32:52 AM »
I'm betting they'll open with The Alien and close with A View.  I'm pretty sure we'll also get Invisible Monster and Awaken the Master (got to show off that new 8-string).  So that's 4 songs I think are for sure.  Possibly they'll play a 5th song, but not guaranteed, that's the way I see it.  Lots of old songs that I would love to see as well (Voices, Glass Prison, Blind Faith, The Killing Hand etc.)  Would also LOVE if they broke out TCOT or Octavarium - but I just don't see how they have the time for it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 01:31:43 PM by Kram »

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #326 on: December 13, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
I would really love it if they closed the show with Viper King..  Go out on a fun light hearted note after all the epic-ness.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2021, 02:31:32 PM »
I'm betting they'll open with The Alien and close with A View.  I'm pretty sure we'll also get Invisible Monster and Awaken the Master (got to show off that new 8-string).  So that's 4 songs I think are for sure.  Possibly they'll play a 5th song, but not guaranteed, that's the way I see it.  Lots of old songs that I would love to see as well (Voices, Glass Prison, Blind Faith, The Killing Hand etc.)  Would also LOVE if they broke out TCOT or Octavarium - but I just don't see how they have the time for it.

I would also love TCOT or Octavarium, but don't see it happening either with the time limit.

They could do it though. It's why I asked the question of how many new songs you think they'll play because that adds to time for older songs. Now I'd say 4-5 is more realistic. Sleeping Giant just won an award for Song of The Year for the 2021 Prog Report Awards, if that says anything. So that is likely in the set...

I came up with this...

The Alien
On The Backs of Angels
Answering The Call
Erotomania
Voices
Invisible Monster
Hollow Years
Sleeping Giant
A View From The Top of The World

Octavarium

That's about 1:55:00 total....

Here's what I have without Octavarium...

The Alien
On The Backs of Angels
Answering The Call
I Walk Beside You
Blind Faith
Hollow Years
Invisible Monster
Stream of Consciousness
Only a Matter of Time
Sleeping Giant (I had Awaken the Monster here, but don't think it'll get played this time)
Disappear
Surrender to Reason

This one is also about 1:55:00 total.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #328 on: December 15, 2021, 02:56:23 AM »
Good setlist, but I would replace OTBOA with S2N..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #329 on: December 15, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »

I would also love TCOT or Octavarium, but don't see it happening either with the time limit.

They could do it though. It's why I asked the question of how many new songs you think they'll play because that adds to time for older songs. Now I'd say 4-5 is more realistic. Sleeping Giant just won an award for Song of The Year for the 2021 Prog Report Awards, if that says anything. So that is likely in the set...

I came up with this...

The Alien
On The Backs of Angels
Answering The Call
Erotomania
Voices
Invisible Monster
Hollow Years
Sleeping Giant

Octavarium

That's about 1:55:00 total....

Here's what I have without Octavarium...

The Alien
On The Backs of Angels
Answering The Call
I Walk Beside You
Blind Faith
Hollow Years
Invisible Monster
Stream of Consciousness
Only a Matter of Time
Sleeping Giant (I had Awaken the Monster here, but don't think it'll get played this time)
Disappear
Surrender to Reason

This one is also about 1:55:00 total.

I love these both. I'd prefer the one with Octavarium but both would blow me away.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2021, 08:24:59 AM »
I do hope they play Sleeping Giant and Awaken The Master.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2021, 08:26:02 AM »
Either of those setlists but ATM instead of ATC, and that's basically my ideal setlist for the tour.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2021, 08:42:09 AM »
I actually wish they would play the entire album. But that means less time for other songs.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2022, 12:13:33 AM »
Having only seen DT once *20* years ago and anxiously awaiting March 21st, I've been very curious about what set they'll come out with.  For fun, I made a playlist "set" of songs that I think are both realistic and songs I would want to hear.  I know this one would disappoint people wanting a big epic, but it being only my second time ever (and possibly last), I'd like to see them cover more albums rather than spend too much precious time on any single one (other than View, which we know they'll do).  This came out to 1:45, which I think is about what it'll be plus a few short solos, James interactions and some kind of recorded intro.

1.  The Enemy Inside
2.  Answering The Call
3.  6:00
4.  Sleeping Giant
5.  The Root Of All Evil
6.  Invisible Monster
7.  Awaken The Master
8.  Fatal Tragedy
9.  Bridges In The Sky
10.  Barstool Warrior
11.  The Alien

encore:
12.  Learning To Live
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:16:07 PM by MrMike »

Offline Kram

« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
Having only seen DT once *20* years ago and anxiously awaiting March 21st, I've been very curious about what set they'll come out with.  For fun, I made a playlist "set" of songs that I think are both realistic and songs I would want to hear.  I know this one would disappoint people wanting a big epic, but it being only my second time ever (and possibly last), I'd like to see them cover more albums rather than spend too much precious time on any single one (other than View, which we know they'll do).  This came out to 1:45, which I think is about what it'll be plus a few short solos, James interactions and some kind of recorded intro.

1.  The Enemy Inside
2.  Answering The Call
3.  6:00 (Live at LP)
4.  Sleeping Giant
5.  The Root Of All Evil (Live at LP)
6.  Invisible Monster
7.  Fatal Tragedy (Live in London)
8.  Awaken The Master
9.  Barstool Warrier
10.  The Alien
11.  Breaking All Illusions

encore:
12.  Metropolis Part 1
Not a bad set, but I think they will definitely be playing A View From The Top of the World - so you need to fit that in there...and I doubt they'll play Fatal Tragedy, after playing all of SFAM last tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2022, 12:19:04 PM »
Personally, I'd love to see them play the whole new album over the course of the set (not straight through), and then fill in the gaps with older songs.  I like it when artists have enough faith in a new album to feature all or most of it in the live set, rather than "hey, here are a few songs from it" and then the bulk being older songs.  If you are touring on the album, feature it heavily.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2022, 12:59:53 PM »

1.  The Enemy Inside
2.  Answering The Call
3.  6:00 (Live at LP)
4.  Sleeping Giant
5.  The Root Of All Evil (Live at LP)
6.  Invisible Monster
7.  Fatal Tragedy (Live in London)
8.  Awaken The Master
9.  Barstool Warrier
10.  The Alien
11.  Breaking All Illusions

encore:
12.  Metropolis Part 1
Not a bad set, but I think they will definitely be playing A View From The Top of the World - so you need to fit that in there...and I doubt they'll play Fatal Tragedy, after playing all of SFAM last tour.

You're probably right about them playing the View title track.  We'll see.  I feel like they'll play at least one song from Scenes since it's their most well known and some people may be seeing them for the first time.  I'm sure it'll be a great show no matter the set.  Just hope it doesn't get pushed back again.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2022, 06:41:46 PM »

”…And we'll play some songs that we haven't played in a long time; we always like to do that as well."

Octavarium please.

There’s actually a ton of songs that they haven’t played in a long time/ever. Here’s a list of every album song that Dream Theater haven’t played with Mike Mangini or ever, not counting AVFtTotW.

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
Light Fuse and Get Away
Only a Matter of Time

Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee

The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
Disappear
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God

The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Repentance
Prophets of War
The Ministry of Lost Souls
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 2

A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times

Surrender to Reason

Room 137
S2N
Out of Reach
*Viper King*

That’s a lot of incredible music that hasn’t been touched in over a decade, if ever.

:tup
Thanks for the list, I forgot about Status Seeker. I updated the first post with this list...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2022, 08:06:37 PM »
Personally, I'd love to see them play the whole new album over the course of the set (not straight through), and then fill in the gaps with older songs.  I like it when artists have enough faith in a new album to feature all or most of it in the live set, rather than "hey, here are a few songs from it" and then the bulk being older songs.  If you are touring on the album, feature it heavily.

I agree and I felt like creating a set to see how it could look. I took "older" to be songs pre-Mangini. This is what I came up with given the 2 hour time limit.

1. The Alien
2. Caught In A Web
3. Answering The Call
4. Misunderstood
5. Invisible Monster
6. Peruvian Skies (or War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All, I would have both but they go over the time limit)
7. Awaken The Master
8. Hollow Years
9. Transcending Time
10. Innocence Faded
11. Sleeping Giant
12. I Walk Bedside You
13. Only A Matter of Time
14. A View From The Top Of The World

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2022, 08:11:11 PM »
I think they could do it and play nothing but Mangini songs in the main set and then do an older song in the encore.

I will leave out one new song since six of seven new ones is still damn fine representation.

The Alien
Answering the Call
This Is the Life
Fall into the Light
Transcending Time
Sleeping Giant
Surrender to Reason
S2N
Moment of Surrender
A New Beginning
Beneath the Surface
Awaken the Master
A View from the Top of the World

Learning to Live

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #340 on: January 11, 2022, 08:43:28 PM »
I would not mind that at all.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #341 on: January 11, 2022, 09:07:14 PM »
I think they could do it and play nothing but Mangini songs in the main set and then do an older song in the encore.

I will leave out one new song since six of seven new ones is still damn fine representation.

The Alien
Answering the Call
This Is the Life
Fall into the Light
Transcending Time
Sleeping Giant
Surrender to Reason
S2N
Moment of Surrender
A New Beginning
Beneath the Surface
Awaken the Master
A View from the Top of the World

Learning to Live

I agree and I felt like creating a set to see how it could look. I took "older" to be songs pre-Mangini. This is what I came up with given the 2 hour time limit.

1. The Alien
2. Caught In A Web
3. Answering The Call
4. Misunderstood
5. Invisible Monster
6. Peruvian Skies (or War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All, I would have both but they go over the time limit)
7. Awaken The Master
8. Hollow Years
9. Transcending Time
10. Innocence Faded
11. Sleeping Giant
12. I Walk Bedside You
13. Only A Matter of Time
14. A View From The Top Of The World

These both look fucking amazing. Especially the one with the learning to live encore imo.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2022, 07:15:42 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2022, 08:36:22 AM »
I have been lucky enough to see most of my absolute favorite DT songs live.  The big one I'm missing is The Glass Prison, so I would be stoked if they played that on this tour (although I'm not expecting it).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: January 12, 2022, 08:50:27 AM »
Moment of Surrender

:metal

Oh yeah, I love that one!
Do you like it as much as Winger's Time To Surrender?  Asking for a friend.

:TAC:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2022, 08:53:46 AM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
I too would like to see them play the whole new album but don't think it will happen.  JL, said in an interview a couple of months ago, that hopefully one day he'll get the opportunity to sing Transcending Time live (implying that it will not be played this time around).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:24:46 AM by Kram »

Offline Trav86

« Reply #348 on: January 12, 2022, 01:17:08 PM »
If I had to guess, I would say Answering the Call and Transcending Time won’t get played. The Alien and Invisible Monster are singles, they’ll get played. Awaken the Master is too, I guess. It seems to be popular, so it’ll get played. Sleeping Giant is a favorite and the title track is a given.
That’s a little less than an hour of music and that give’s them about another hour for older songs. Seems right.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »
If I had to guess, I would say Answering the Call and Transcending Time won’t get played. The Alien and Invisible Monster are singles, they’ll get played. Awaken the Master is too, I guess. It seems to be popular, so it’ll get played. Sleeping Giant is a favorite and the title track is a given.
That’s a little less than an hour of music and that give’s them about another hour for older songs. Seems right.

I would love if they rotated Sleeping Giant and Answering the Call.