Author Topic: Future Tour Setlist...  (Read 45389 times)

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
Re: Future Tour Setlist...
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
I'd like to see a song from When Dream And Day Unite, since that album's been a bit neglected since the ADTOE tour. Ideally one of the non-obvious choices (The Killing Hand would be perfect), but YtseJam and Afterlife are always good to hear.

I hope (and honestly expect) we'll hear all the Distance Over Time tracks we didn't hear on the last tour.

I'd really love them to go against expectations for the encore, and bring back the Eve/Learning To Live duology they used to do back in the '90s. Eve is a LOVELY track, and it works great as a prelude to the big, bombastic finale of Learning to Live.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »

I just wish bands wouldn't and shouldn't care about what songs they play live.

Quoting just this part of your post for the sake of length (and I agreed with a lot of the rest of your post)...

I think bands should care what the fans want when it comes to live show to an extent (vs in the studio when what fans want should no matter at all).  No, fans should not dictate what gets played, but what songs go over well and what songs do not should certainly be taken into consideration, and if an obscure song is doing nothing for live crowds, dropping it makes total sense.  In the case of Don't Look Past Me, that is an obscure non-album song, and not even of their better ones, and it sounds like almost no one was giving a crap about it getting played, so why keep playing it? So a handful of diehards online can stay excited about it? Nah.

Coming from a fan that is finally able to go to live concerts out of town. I have been able to attend the evening with shows. I actually would've went to the Along For The Ride tour, but had other commitments so wasn't able to attend, and that setlist is one I really wanted to see, basically for Space Dye-Vest.

My first tour ended up being The Astonishing, and I enjoyed it, because I was finally seeing a Dream Theater evening with show. I saw it again on the 2nd leg in Tucson and enjoyed it as well, and also enjoyed hearing The Spirit Carries On for my first time.

The next tour was the I&W&B, and they just so happened to hit my local venue that I knew could accommodate the band. That was a nice treat, but unfortunately, had commitments that prevented me from seeing the 2nd set and encore. I then, went to see the last show of the entire tour in Dallas. That was an extremely fun show, and even though they played TSCO again, and I enjoyed it still, hearing Hourglass was the best thing to include for the last shows. I got to hear some great songs on this tour, including Don't Look Last Me, and To Live Forever.

D/T was just as good because they played ITPOE pt.1, and also ANTR, one of my faves. I had to go to a show on the 2nd leg, because I wasn't going to miss At Wit's End, and we all knew it was going to be played. It personally felt like an older DT encore and show due to that being played rather than Pull Me Under.

I am actually happy with what they played, and will play. It's just what I would like them to do, but it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the band. It's why I still go. I won't complain about the set when I'm there, I'll still watch and listen and headbang away, because I came to hear them play.  :metal

Very nice!

For me, the cool thing about DT is how they mix it up from tour to tour. As much as some grumble about their set lists in the last decade, they have done a great job at changing it up from tour to tour.  I hope they ditch the tours dedicated to playing albums from x-number of years ago going forward, which I suspect they will since I&W and Scenes have already been done, and those are easily their two most classic and "mainstream" albums that would be a draw this many years after the fact.  It's still a bit weird to me that I have seen them nine tours between 1994 and 2019, yet have still never seen Learning to Live, but maybe someday... :lol :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »
I've seen DT live 4 times (not as much as some other people, obviously), but I still need to see Octavarium live. Puleaaaaaaase.

Online DTA

« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2021, 05:59:33 AM »
I'll still never forgive them for dropping Don't Look Past Me from the I&W&B tour before they hit Philly. What a slap in the face to the die-hard fans who look forward to seeing that kind of rare shit.

If there's a cosmic equalizer somewhere, I'd gladly give up having seen it.  It's not a particularly good song to begin with, and James was not up to it.

I get the James concerns, and DLPM is not really a particular favorite of mine at all, but there's still something special about hearing a rare old song live for the first time. I've seen them about 20 times since the SFAM tour and the amount of songs I've not heard live is relatively small (mainly a few WDADU tracks, some FII b-sides, and a scattering of post-SFAM tracks that they played only a few times) so anything out the norm is a positive for me. Besides Space-Dye Vest, DLPM was the glaring omission from their earlier catalog and they removed it because a bunch of babies in the audience couldn't sit through 6 minutes of something different. The band is dumb for not introducing it, but they should've stuck it out for the people who care about seeing shows with unique songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2021, 06:30:32 AM »
For the record, I love Don't Look Past Me.  Franky, if they're going to continue the "album celebrations", I'd love a "Cleaning Out The Closet" Tour.  I'm obviously aware that that's an almost zero possibility, but I'd be rapt if it happened!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2021, 07:53:11 AM »
I'll still never forgive them for dropping Don't Look Past Me from the I&W&B tour before they hit Philly. What a slap in the face to the die-hard fans who look forward to seeing that kind of rare shit.

If there's a cosmic equalizer somewhere, I'd gladly give up having seen it.  It's not a particularly good song to begin with, and James was not up to it.

I get the James concerns, and DLPM is not really a particular favorite of mine at all, but there's still something special about hearing a rare old song live for the first time. I've seen them about 20 times since the SFAM tour and the amount of songs I've not heard live is relatively small (mainly a few WDADU tracks, some FII b-sides, and a scattering of post-SFAM tracks that they played only a few times) so anything out the norm is a positive for me. Besides Space-Dye Vest, DLPM was the glaring omission from their earlier catalog and they removed it because a bunch of babies in the audience couldn't sit through 6 minutes of something different. The band is dumb for not introducing it, but they should've stuck it out for the people who care about seeing shows with unique songs.

This is how I feel too. I was PISSED that night (I've since calmed down). But yeah, I had heard that they were playing DLPM and TLF and was looking forward to hearing them. They did end up playing TLF (which is a FANTASTIC song, IMO), so I was pumped to hear it. But then the other one wasn't played and I spent the rest of the night confused and upset. I didn't really enjoy the second set because I was pre-occupied with that feeling (I understand this is a me problem). I still don't get why it was dropped. They were already playing loads of "fan favorite" songs that night (PMU, ACOS, AIA, MetPt1...), there's no reason to drop a six minute rarity. They should have recognized that an intro to both of those songs would probably help the audience response. And I was also perturbed after the fact when I looked up setlists that it was dropped and not replaced with anything else. I mean, we paid as much in Boston as others did earlier in the tour and got less music out of it.

Anyway, I'm over it now, obviously. :lol
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
For the record, I love Don't Look Past Me.  Franky, if they're going to continue the "album celebrations", I'd love a "Cleaning Out The Closet" Tour.  I'm obviously aware that that's an almost zero possibility, but I'd be rapt if it happened!!
Yes! I'd love Don't Look Past Me to get played again, but any of the obscure/non-album tracks would be great to hear.

DLPM is one of my dark horse favourites, and it makes me SO MAD that they only played it at a couple of shows in the US, so even though I saw them on the tour when it was here in the UK, I missed it! And then they dropped it before the 2017 Budokan recording, so I can't even see it on the official recording! I really wish they'd bring it back. It's a great song.

I still don't get why it was dropped. They were already playing loads of "fan favorite" songs that night (PMU, ACOS, AIA, MetPt1...), there's no reason to drop a six minute rarity. They should have recognized that an intro to both of those songs would probably help the audience response. And I was also perturbed after the fact when I looked up setlists that it was dropped and not replaced with anything else. I mean, we paid as much in Boston as others did earlier in the tour and got less music out of it.
Yes, I agree very much.

Having an intro would be a good idea next time, if there is a next time (and I really hope there is!). I know they did a short intro of sorts before one of the times they played it, but I don't think there was an intro the first one or two times they played it, and IIRC from YouTube videos of the shows it was played, it was a little under-rehearsed too, so... Clearly it was added in a hurry, then removed in a hurry. Which is a big shame, and far less than what such a great song deserves. Especially since, from the on-stage chat surrounding the song on the available recordings, JP and JR both championed playing it on that tour. I think they were right to, and I hope they bring it back on a future tour, for the entire tour! (Or at least a whole leg!)

They did an intro for Another Won and especially for Raise The Knife (or Speak To Me, for some shows) back in 2005/2006, and it worked a treat. Fans who didn't know those songs still walked away happy because of the rest of the set, the more hardcore fans were psyched out of their minds, and the DVD raised awareness of these obscure gems. (Hey, maybe Raise The Knife would be a good non-album track to pull out if they ever think of doing that again)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:55:38 AM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2021, 09:55:21 AM »
Yes! I'd love Don't Look Past Me to get played again, but any of the obscure/non-album tracks would be great to hear.

DLPM is one of my dark horse favourites, and it makes me SO MAD that they only played it at a couple of shows in the US, so even though I saw them on the tour when it was here in the UK, I missed it! And then they dropped it before the 2017 Budokan recording, so I can't even see it on the official recording! I really wish they'd bring it back. It's a great song.

IIRC, the Asian leg of that tour was before the US leg, and those songs were only played in the US leg, not the whole tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »
I get the James concerns, and DLPM is not really a particular favorite of mine at all, but there's still something special about hearing a rare old song live for the first time.

I don't really get where you're coming from, but I can respect the sentiment, which I guess makes it all the more unfortunate that I got to hear it and you didn't.

Besides Space-Dye Vest, DLPM was the glaring omission from their earlier catalog and they removed it because a bunch of babies in the audience couldn't sit through 6 minutes of something different. The band is dumb for not introducing it, but they should've stuck it out for the people who care about seeing shows with unique songs.

This is all quite absurd.  The "babies in the audience" did sit through it.  They just didn't enjoy it, and the band didn't like having a song in the set that the majority of the audience didn't know and wasn't enjoying, and which their singer wasn't performing well.  "People who care about seeing shows with unique songs" are very much in the minority, and I don't agree that shows should be tailored to such a minority.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
IIRC, the Asian leg of that tour was before the US leg, and those songs were only played in the US leg, not the whole tour.
Oh right.

Damn, that makes it even more annoying, honestly. They added it at the very last minute, for just a couple of shows. MANNN. If only they'd thought of it from the beginning. I could've seen them play it in London... Ah well. I can still hope they bring it back someday.

This is all quite absurd.  The "babies in the audience" did sit through it.  They just didn't enjoy it, and the band didn't like having a song in the set that the majority of the audience didn't know and wasn't enjoying, and which their singer wasn't performing well.  "People who care about seeing shows with unique songs" are very much in the minority, and I don't agree that shows should be tailored to such a minority.
The way I see it, as long as they introduce "Hey guys, here's a song we've never played live before but we wrote for Images And Words, about the same time as A Change Of Seasons, and the label cut it", the audience should at least appreciate it. Certainly, they should at least appreciate it as much as the Score audience appreicated Raise The Knife...

Naturally, the whole show shouldn't be catered to the hardcore fans only (unless it's a special case like the Rotterdam '98 fan club show), that's the mistake Portnoy made with the When Dream And Day Reunite show in 2004 and their full album cover shows (even though I love the WDADR DVD); most fans just don't care and taking up a full hour of the setlist with something only the really hardcore fans will like is a bad idea. But, dropping a rarity here or there is a great treat for the hardcores, and at least a neat novelty to the newbies. It's only one song in the set, and it's not like it was taking the place of anything else, on the 2017 tour!

Plus, most casual fans don't know When Dream And Day Unite very well at all, and yet A Fortune In Lies and YtseJam saw plenty of play in 2011/2012, and Afterlife got played throughout 2015. To Live Forever is another non-album track, and got played in 2011 and 2017...

No one is suggesting the next tour should be a whole tour of Rotterdam '98-type shows (or even WDADR or the Dark Side Of The Moon '05 show)*, but dropping a Don't Look Past Me, a Rase The Knife, or a Killing Hand here or there in the setlist would be great to have among all the more conventional choices, and it's a damn shame DLPM was only so brief an inclusion on the 2017 tour.

*(Granted, I did imply this in my earlier post, but really I just want to see non-album and obscure tracks get played now and then. Just one super obscure thing per tour would be nice. Wouldn't hog the show and alienate fans,but would be great for us hardcores)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:13:23 AM by Robo4900 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2021, 11:13:51 AM »
But that's the thing with those special shows; they weren't a whole tour.  If you were reasonably following, you could kind of know when something was coming.   For me, and I get I'm not the "average fan" in this regard, I'm interested in "different" for the sake of different.  I'd KNOWINGLY go to the second night of a two-night stand to say "I was there!".  I might be more or less interested after - I'd rather see Boston's debut than a Slayer or Muse album, for example - but that would be minor in the context of being at one of what, 15 shows in the band's entire career?

Another option, though, understanding that Dream Theater is NOT Iron Maiden, but they could do a version of that; leg one is the "current album" tour, leg two could be the "legacy" tour.   Within that format, you could either do special "sets", or simply have a block of songs that swap out (meaning, first leg, play most or all of the new album, second leg drop most/all of those and add in the cross section of the career).  The hits will be played regardless, and in both cases, some subset of fans will get either their heart's desire or their ultimate boredom.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »
Off topic, but I really hope they give more love to Octavarium and Six Degrees on this next tour. They haven’t played anything from those albums since the ADTOE tour (not counting the festival shows from 2015, only talking world tours). Given that 6DOIT is 20 years old next year, they should play a couple songs from it for sure.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
Off topic, but I really hope they give more love to Octavarium and Six Degrees on this next tour. They haven’t played anything from those albums since the ADTOE tour (not counting the festival shows from 2015, only talking world tours). Given that 6DOIT is 20 years old next year, they should play a couple songs from it for sure.

Yes, please. 6DOIT is my favourite album.  :heart

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm just hoping there's little to no IAW and SFAM songs on the next tour(s). They will have other 13 albums to choose songs from, no need to do those again and again.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »

I always figured that SDOIT songs have been avoided because of setlist time. Like, all of the songs on the first disc are pretty long. They can split up parts of the second side though. And they have. But then, my theory kinda went to shit when they played INTPOE Pt. 1 and Nightmare on the last tour. Like, they could’ve played The Glass Prison.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »
I'm just hoping there's little to no IAW and SFAM songs on the next tour(s). They will have other 13 albums to choose songs from, no need to do those again and again.

I would hate to see nothing from either, but I think just one or two from each would be reasonable.  It's hard to imagine them going a tour and totally ignoring both of those albums.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »
I've been digging Octavarium lately and would love to hear/see These Walls or Sacrificed Sons (or Octavarium if they can fit it in).  My memory of the Score show brings a tear to my eye when I thing of SS being played... that was a heavy emotional song at RC, at least for me.

I'd also like to hear Surrender to Reason; just depends on what type of album DT15 is and where/if STR would fit-in.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2021, 03:11:08 PM »
Not that I am itching for Sacrificed Songs to be brought back, but I think it would be cool to do a tour where the only songs played are a) new ones from the forthcoming album, and b) songs never played before or only played on our tour before (ever).

That would open up Octavarium to be the encore, and then they could fill out the rest of the set list with a handful of songs from Distance over Time including stuff like Out of Reach and Room 137 (that were not played on the last tour), and then songs like Disappear, In the Name of God (still can't believe this has never been brought back in full), In the Presence of Enemies Part 2, This Is the Life, Beneath the Surface, anything from the self-titled album, and even a few Astonishing tunes (that did not get played on the I&W and Beyond tour).

Note: anything played as a part of a medley on an additional tour, I am not counting as having been played on multiple tours, for this dream scenario.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »

Note: anything played as a part of a medley on an additional tour, I am not counting as having been played on multiple tours, for this dream scenario.

You hurt Schmedley Wilcox’s feelings.
Can't we find the minds

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
Not that I am itching for Sacrificed Songs to be brought back, but I think it would be cool to do a tour where the only songs played are a) new ones from the forthcoming album, and b) songs never played before or only played on our tour before (ever).

That would open up Octavarium to be the encore, and then they could fill out the rest of the set list with a handful of songs from Distance over Time including stuff like Out of Reach and Room 137 (that were not played on the last tour), and then songs like Disappear, In the Name of God (still can't believe this has never been brought back in full), In the Presence of Enemies Part 2, This Is the Life, Beneath the Surface, anything from the self-titled album, and even a few Astonishing tunes (that did not get played on the I&W and Beyond tour).

That sounds like a great concert with the songs you mentioned!!! Don't forget S2N, which I think begs to be played live!! :metal

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »

That's such a silly thing to say considering the tour in question. How is a show with the entirety of I&W (the top 7 or 8 played songs in the band's history), A Change of Seasons (arguably their most requested song), and As I Am (acknowledged by the band as a fan favorite) "tailored to such a minority"? Putting in one or two rarities in a 2.5+ hour show is not tailoring to hardcores. It's throwing them a bone.

Yes please. Both albums are in my top 5. Sometimes top 2.

In the Name of God (still can't believe this has never been brought back in full)

This was played in full in 2009. I do think Mangini should get a chance to play this one.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2021, 05:58:29 PM »

That's such a silly thing to say considering the tour in question. How is a show with the entirety of I&W (the top 7 or 8 played songs in the band's history), A Change of Seasons (arguably their most requested song), and As I Am (acknowledged by the band as a fan favorite) "tailored to such a minority"? Putting in one or two rarities in a 2.5+ hour show is not tailoring to hardcores. It's throwing them a bone.

The point is that it's not at all unreasonable not to keep in the set list a song that isn't going over well and which the singer isn't performing well solely to please a small minority of fans.

Was "our" supposed to be "one"?  If so, and if the put Disappear back-to-back with ITPOE 2, it would make for a great piss and/or beer run break.   :)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2021, 06:38:53 PM »

You hurt Schmedley Wilcox’s feelings.

Schmedley Wilcox deserves it. What a POS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »
the glass prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Disappear

Breaking all illusions
Scarred
octavarium

new songs

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2021, 10:50:15 PM »
Here’s my rough idea for a setlist for the upcoming world tour:

New single
Panic Attack
New song
New song
Erotomania
Surrender to Reason
Lines in the Sand (with JR solo intro)
At Wit’s End

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
New song
Under A Glass Moon
Wither
Outcry
New epic(?)

Encore:
Octavarium

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2021, 05:59:16 AM »
Firstly, I think we're a long way off any band doing a world tour. I doubt bands are going to travel much outside their home territories for many years yet. A North America tour is the best we can hope for. It's just not worthwhile to only tour certain countries, and the picture is ever changing.

Secondly, I have pretty low expectations of setlists these days. I'd expect something like the following:

Set 1:
New Song
New Song
Old Song
New Song
New Song
Recent Song

Set 2:
Whichever album is celebrating an anniversary

Encore:
New Song
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »
Firstly, I think we're a long way off any band doing a world tour. I doubt bands are going to travel much outside their home territories for many years yet. A North America tour is the best we can hope for. It's just not worthwhile to only tour certain countries, and the picture is ever changing.

Secondly, I have pretty low expectations of setlists these days. I'd expect something like the following:

Set 1:
New Song
New Song
Old Song
New Song
New Song
Recent Song

Set 2:
Whichever album is celebrating an anniversary

Encore:
New Song

Genesis has dates booked for the UK and North America this fall. It’s happening.

As far the setlist. I guess you meant to copy their recent format?
Can't we find the minds

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2021, 05:54:05 PM »
Alright, since we know how many songs and the lengths of the songs on the new album, I figure it's time we start making some possible suggestions to the set-list.

As always, let's have fun and also it would be neat to see if any of us comes close to what they do end up playing.

I will post the one I have in mind once I get to making it. My own criteria involves celebrating 6DOIT by including more songs from this album than the others. The shows not being evening with, also makes this more interesting as we don't know whether the shows will be two hours max or  in between two to two and a half hours long. I will go with the show being Two Hours long.

:lol

I ended up doing a Two and a Half hour set.

1. TA - 9:32 (based on the past first songs being the album openers) (1)
2. About to Crash - 5:51
3. Room 137 - 4:24
4. I Walk Beside You - 4:29
5. Blind Faith - 10:21
6. Peruvian Skies - 6:43
7. The Enemy Inside - 6:17
8. S2N - 6:21
9. IM - 6:31 (2)
10. Stream of Consciousness - 11:16
11. Surrender To Reason - 6:35
12. SG - 10:06 (3)
13. Goodnight Kiss - 6:17
14. Solitary Shell - 5:48
15. About To Crash Repirse - 4:05
16. Losing Time/Grand Finale - 4:30 (I edited out the long ending for easier shuffle play)
17. TT - 6:25 (4)
18. At Wits End - 9:21
--------------------------
19. AVFTTOTW - 20:24 (4)

Total Show Time 2:25:10
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 08:06:51 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2021, 08:06:34 PM »
Alright, since we know how many songs and the lengths of the songs on the new album, I figure it's time we start making some possible suggestions to the set-list.

As always, let's have fun and also it would be neat to see if any of us comes close to what they do end up playing.
Well, each album opener was played on its corresponding album's tour. And the long epics too. So, off the new album, "TA" and "AVFTTOTW" are likely candidates. Add one or two songs, and that's over 40 minutes of setlist right there.

I don't think they'll play anything from The Astonishing, too soon after that tour. From the 2010's albums, my guess is two songs at most: a rarity (like "Surrender To Reason" or "Out of Reach") and/or a fan-favourite. This year marks the 10th anniversary of Mike Mangini's first album with the band, so they might include something from A Dramatic Turn Of Events as well.

Likewise, I'm guessing they'll pass on Scenes From A Memory for this tour. From the '90s, one song from Falling Into Infinity or Awake, and maybe one song from Images And Words.

Besides the 2015 anniversary shows, they haven't played much from When Dream And Day Unite, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium for a while. I think it would be awesome to have one song from each.

My ideal set-list would include this:
  • WD&DU: "Only A Matter Of Time"
  • I&W: "Learning To Live"
  • FII: "New Millenium"
  • Six Degrees: "Blind Faith" or "Disappear"
  • Octavarium: "Sacrificed Sons"
  • ADTOE: "Lost Not Forgotten"
  • Self-titled: "Surrender To Reason"
  • D/T: "Room 137"
  • New album: "TA", "AVFTTOTW", whatever happens to be the second single, and maybe one more song. (Specially if the band is as confident in the album as they seem to be.)

Opener is "TA", closer of second set is "AVFTTOTW", and encore is "Only A Matter Of Time". No idea about the rest.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »
I don't think we'll be getting a song from Images and Words for quite a while now since they did play that album in it's entirety and chose to play it a step down, for ease of JLB's vocals. But they could still play them in the album keys. The only reason I feel they did drop the album down a half-step is that album in it's entirety is a lot of stress and strain on JLB's vocals, especially Take The Time.

I actually wouldn't mind those songs. I don't know about New Millenium as JLB isnt too fond of that song, so unless Mangini insists on playing it, I don't see that in the set.

The setlist I edited into my post, almost follows the same criteria. I am making one that doesn' take into account celebrating 6DOIT as much as that one does. I only did that as 6DOIT is my all-time favorite Dream Theater album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2021, 08:40:50 PM »
I actually wouldn't mind those songs. I don't know about New Millenium as JLB isnt too fond of that song, so unless Mangini insists on playing it, I don't see that in the set.

I don't think that'd work either. I've heard Mike M twice in interviewes talking about how he wants them to include I Walk Beside You but they haven't :lol (he likes it as a short, accessible song)
My guess is they don't bring it back because it's very demanding vocally.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »

I don't think that'd work either. I've heard Mike M twice in interviewes talking about how he wants them to include I Walk Beside You but they haven't :lol (he likes it as a short, accessible song)

That's really hilariously coincidental as I have "I Walk Beside You" in my setlist just for that purpose of an easily accessible slow song that isn't that rough on the band as a means to get a bit of rest. Hence why it's placed after Room 137 and before Blind Faith.  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2021, 09:25:22 PM »

That's really hilariously coincidental as I have "I Walk Beside You" in my setlist just for that purpose of an easily accessible slow song that isn't that rough on the band as a means to get a bit of rest. Hence why it's placed after Room 137 and before Blind Faith.  :lol

Hope you and MM get to have it in the set! :lol

As for your picks, this is obviously a fantasy setlist and I'd like to see them play those 3, but realistically they wouldn't play 3 songs in a row that would require 3 different guitars with different tunings all back to back (7 string, D tuning and baritone in A) :biggrin:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »

Hope you and MM get to have it in the set! :lol

As for your picks, this is obviously a fantasy setlist and I'd like to see them play those 3, but realistically they wouldn't play 3 songs in a row that would require 3 different guitars with different tunings all back to back (7 string, D tuning and baritone in A) :biggrin:

Who said they were played in a row with no pause in between the songs.  :biggrin:

They could pause to let JLB talk for a bit as they switch guitars.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »
I'd love to see/hear Only A Matter of Time return to the set list. :metal