Author Topic: Why PMU ???  (Read 4514 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Why PMU ???
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2023, 09:40:38 AM »
I bought a copy of the Images and Words book boxset, the one with the separate "Images" book. 

Any chance you're selling it?  :biggrin:
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2023, 12:28:35 PM »
I bought a copy of the Images and Words book boxset, the one with the separate "Images" book. 

Any chance you're selling it?  :biggrin:

Nope; it's been my holy grail for too long...  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2023, 05:42:41 PM »
I bought a copy of the Images and Words book boxset, the one with the separate "Images" book.  I loved their look up to about 2007 or so.   I dug that they looked, I don't know, like eager young kids. Like they could actually live next door but oh-by-the-way, they can play their ass off their instruments.

It patently WASN'T about image, even though they were in an industry that was pretty much predicated on image.  Then the obligatory black pants, Doc Martens and black t-shirts came into play and it's been kind of stagnant ever since.  IMO.

I feel you on this. I was watching the LA '06 show last night, and James in particular looked so regular. Clean shaven and...pre-...did he have a facelift as some point?

And I have to say that I hate JP's blatantly dyed black hair and beard. His hair was never black to begin with.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2023, 08:59:52 PM »
But black is more rock 'n' roll.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2023, 11:14:28 PM »
I bought a copy of the Images and Words book boxset, the one with the separate "Images" book.  I loved their look up to about 2007 or so.   I dug that they looked, I don't know, like eager young kids. Like they could actually live next door but oh-by-the-way, they can play their ass off their instruments.

It patently WASN'T about image, even though they were in an industry that was pretty much predicated on image.  Then the obligatory black pants, Doc Martens and black t-shirts came into play and it's been kind of stagnant ever since.  IMO.

I feel you on this. I was watching the LA '06 show last night, and James in particular looked so regular. Clean shaven and...pre-...did he have a facelift as some point?

And I have to say that I hate JP's blatantly dyed black hair and beard. His hair was never black to begin with.

The cosmetic decisions some of the band members have made is a bit strange especially for a band like this. "Cool" form-fitting clothes while packing some pounds & very dark or black hairdye isn't the way to go...it just makes them look older.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2023, 12:44:17 AM »
What I like about Devin Townsend is that he's not in denial. He shaved his hair off years ago because he hated what his long thin hair looked like. He's not even trying have an image and doesn't take himself seriously. I think other bands should learn to relax like that.
I'm just as excited to see DT as I am DT...  😁
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 12:50:03 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2023, 04:38:39 AM »
The cosmetic decisions some of the band members have made is a bit strange especially for a band like this. "Cool" form-fitting clothes while packing some pounds & very dark or black hairdye isn't the way to go...it just makes them look older.

Black hair looks ok on some of them, but I'm so glad James went back to his natural dark red color.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
Why PMU ???
This has had me perplexed for years. We all know that Pull Me Under is a great song and that it really put Dream Theater on the map. 
 DT now has 15 strong studio albums with many outstanding tracks. Many of these songs are just as good and some are superior to PMU as far as I'm concerned.  How is it that not even one DT song since then has gotten the same type of recognition?  They have been one of the hardest working bands in the business and they deserve to have more than one big hit.
I know they got a grammy for The Alien,  but it never received mainstream recognition outside of DT's hard-core fan base like PMU did.
Has it been bad promoters, lack of press, or lame record companies and radio stations turning their back on the band??
Out of DT's immense and impressive catalog,  why PMU?   :-\

If DT were a few years earlier in their development, I think they would have taken off more. They landed a bit late in pop culture. If PMU (and I&W as a whole) were at the height of 80's metal, man, it would have been something. But, who really knows. It's fun talking about it though.

-Tof

Offline Kram

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2023, 11:15:48 AM »
The only one who looks cool is John Myung. And that's the truth!